Hamptonites outraged at Madonna's "farm fraud"

XXL

Ol’ Madonna had a farm — and on this farm she had a huge tax break. The superstar is trading in her cone bra for overalls this summer as she builds a supposed tree nursery on an old potato farm next to her Hamptons mansion.

The Material Girl purchased the taxpayer-owned parcel in Bridgehampton in a sweetheart deal — and will now collect multiple tax benefits on top of that because of her “agricultural” use of the land.

madona-1.jpg

Suffolk County officials quietly approved the nursery plan late last year, and in the last few weeks the Queen of Pop’s crews have been planting Leyland Cypress, eastern white pines and Robusta juniper. But locals gripe Madge has less interest in caring for crops than she does in creating a buffer for her new $4.9 million mansion. The nursery, like a virgin forest, would shield the eight-bedroom manse from prying eyes.

It’s “a front and a fraud,” sneered East Hampton farmer Sam Lester. “Madonna should be ashamed for stealing from [taxpayers],” he said, and government officials should be “embarrassed” by the taxpayer money in the deal.

dke7195.jpg

dke7202.jpg

dke7199.jpg

dlk3274.jpg

Suffolk County and the Town of Southampton jointly purchased the development rights to the old Grabowski family farm for $10 million in 2010 to preserve it as open land. Madonna swooped in soon after and bought it for just $2.2 million, with the restriction that she could not build on it and must use it for the “production for commercial purposes of agricultural products,” said Suffolk County Planning Commission director Sarah Lansdale.

“Someone would have paid $17.5 [million] — substantially more than what it sold for” if development rights were intact, said Enzo Morabito, a broker with Douglas Elliman.

In addition to the discount, Madonna gets a big county tax break given to farms — paying only $2,260.28 a year in local property taxes for the 24 acres. By comparison, the owner of a single acre across the street pays $6,841.52.

And if Madonna does at least $10,000 a year in sales over two years — about 100 saplings — she can bring her tax bill down to less than $300 thanks to state agricultural breaks. Some locals don’t think Madonna should be getting breaks meant for farmers.

“That’s not a nursery,” said Sagaponack farmer John White. “She just doesn’t want people to see her riding — and falling.” Madonna was mum when The Post contacted her rep.

Guest Rachelle of London

Save those taxes M! I'd do the same!

Poor M gets in trouble for planting a tree on her tree farm :lmao:

If a hedge fund honcho would have bought the parcel under the same conditions would there be such an article? I doubt it.

And what exactly did she do wrong that makes this famer believe she is "stealing" tax payers money? She bought a parcel that was obviously up for sale. She is getting a tax break because of the restrictions that came with this sale. It is "reserve" land and cannot be used for development. That this reserve land also meets her security needs should not be used against her. She's getting a tax break for using it for agricultural purposes. Like every other farmer in the Hamptons. To compare this to the higher taxes the neighbour pays is ridiculous. That is most likely a residential. And she certainly pays for the parcel her house sits on comparable taxes.

Furthermore, I find it disgusting to attack someone who actually takes the Hamptons farmlife seriously. With her horse farm she operates a year round business there. She probably employs locals and buys local. Therefore she supports the community. She even build a quite understated house in a more rural part of the Hamptons when she could have easily bought a more representive house in a more posh area. Remember there were rumors she was the buyer of "Coxwould" in East Hampton. And she could have acted like all these Wall Street people. Going to the Hamptons for a few weeks and that's about it. And with the millions and millions of boni they bought all of the Hamptons, making the living for normal people unaffordable. That is a mucher bigger problem than a pop star who plants some pines on her land.

Poor M gets in trouble for planting a tree on her tree farm :lmao:

IKR :chuckle:

Someone is jealous

“That’s not a nursery,” said Sagaponack farmer John White. “She just doesn’t want people to see her riding — and falling.

it says here she bought the farm so the paparazzi can't take pics of her riding her horse and falling. lol

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3142252/Madonna-accused-stealing-farmers-say-bought-tax-payer-owned-farm-near-4-9-million-Hamptons-mansion-tax-breaks.html

She's following the rules, gets a few incentives...and helps the environment by planting MORE trees, that act as a property buffer for privacy as well as contribute to the local environment.

And they think she's doing something wrong? Fuck 'em. They're just upset because it's "Madonna".

And why shouldn't she have more privacy? There are plenty of rich fucks in the Hamptons with large privacy fences/trees/etc. enclosing their properties. Why is she any different?

Assholes.

These people are so transparent. Jealous much??

This has nothing to do with privacy fences and tax breaks and everything to do with the fact that this is Madonna.

this is the Madonna that I cant stand.

If you're going to fight the fight and stand for disenfranchised people and be a democrat and liberal, do it all the way. Take all those tax breaks meant for farmers and donate it publicly to help support change especially around these ridiculous tax loopholes and crooks that let her get away with this.

this is the Madonna that I cant stand.

If you're going to fight the fight and stand for disenfranchised people and be a democrat and liberal, do it all the way. Take all those tax breaks meant for farmers and donate it publicly to help support change especially around these ridiculous tax loopholes and crooks that let her get away with this.

Madonna is playing by the rules isn't she? Give me a break with the all the way...you know what environmentalists I do not like? Ones that drink out of those God awful plastic bottles. Ones that ride around in cars.

These people don't have a problem other than being selective about whom they have a problem with.

ugh, yet again some more people trying to control Madonna. I wonder how many of her rich ass neighbours have lil loopsholes when filing for their taxes.

but we all know M's a privileged bitch. She counts her pennies. But we here for the music!

This is the Madonna that I cant stand.

"The Madonna you can't stand"? I'm not following your logic

You don't have a problem with Niki Harris being blatantly bitchy and bitter about not getting the call for RIT while looking high on some trashy late summer night tabloid TV programme but you think Madonna is doing something wrong by planting some trees in her own bought land? She's thrifty, we know that, she's not doing anything illegal and the people complaining wouldn't give a shit if it wasn't Madonna, rich woman vs any random loaded hedge fund manager, like other posters have said. These people are jealous as fuck, that's all there is to it

"She doesn't want people seeing her ride AND FALL" Doesn't that tell you everything about those supposed neighbouring protesters?

This is someone from her inner circle at one point in her career. She's been with her from the WTG tour in 1987 through the DW Tour in 2001 and featured in countless videos including Music and Vogue. Why anyone here in offended by anything she just said is beyond me. She's knows Madonna much more personally than any elitist on this board. Deep breaths folks. It was a fun interview and nothing outrageous.