I joined the thirty year fan club yesterday!

jonski43

I realised I joined the thirty year fan club yesterday.

Like a virgin came out of nowhere and I got the 12" for Christmas. I turned the record over and the b side, Stay, was just as good which amazed me. Then the video for Material Girl came and blew me away and I was hooked.

I wasn't looking for someone to follow or be a part of, it just grew over time because of the music and videos. By the time Into The Groove hit, I was a complete M loon.

It's been an amazing thing to be part of but its always been about the music. I never planned on staying a fan. I just am. Thirty years on and we're getting another amazing set of songs.

I just hope one day I get to go into the golden triangle and see her up close, properly.

Who else is a member?

:laugh: Congratulations Jonski. I am also a member of the 30 year fan club. Loved Madonna since the first time I saw her on Countdown singing Holiday which become her first hit in Australia. We are the smart wise music fans from the 80's who instinctively were drawn to the woman who would become the biggest, most influential and consistently great music star of all time. The fact that now she is still attracting new fans is incredible. Madonna - loved by people of all ages, nationalities and gender. I am a fan of her for so many reasons but the music has always been the ultimate factor. She is incredible.

I didn't become a major fan until 1985, so in a few months for me. Wow, it's unreal when you really think about it isn't it? THIRTY YEARS

Congratulations Jonski!!

Funny, I've always been aware of Madonna's music during the 1980's and liked it, but I didn't become a full-blown fan until Vogue came out in 1990. Then I became a loon during the Justify My Love controversy in 1991 and haven't looked back since :laugh:

And it's always been about the music, first and foremost, for me. I sometimes feel as if her music found me exactly when it needed to find me in my life :blush: :cries:

30 years also :)

Same as JazzyJan!

Countdown - Madonna.....

A highlight would be travelling around Australia, up through the North & over to the West with my parents & sister, listening to her debut album over & over & over.

Dad really liked it, mum liked her because she could understand what she was singing. Mum went to the Girlie Show in 93.

I always get associated with Madonna. I often get 'I saw Madonna in tv the other day & thought of you'!

Really happy times growing up with Madonna:)

:laugh: Congratulations Jonski. I am also a member of the 30 year fan club. Loved Madonna since the first time I saw her on Countdown singing Holiday which become her first hit in Australia. We are the smart wise music fans from the 80's who instinctively were drawn to the woman who would become the biggest, most influential and consistently great music star of all time. The fact that now she is still attracting new fans is incredible. Madonna - loved by people of all ages, nationalities and gender. I am a fan of her for so many reasons but the music has always been the ultimate factor. She is incredible.

Incorrect, we made Burning up a hugh hit before the world even took notice of Madonna with Holiday! And she has the gall to ignore us for sooooo long :)

Wonder whatever happened to my Like A Virgin cassette ( and she's so unusual ) purchased with hard earned pocket money.

Incorrect, we made Burning up a hugh hit before the world even took notice of Madonna with Holiday! And she has the gall to ignore us for sooooo long :)

Wonder whatever happened to my Like A Virgin cassette ( and she's so unusual ) purchased with hard earned pocket money.

Sorry Ivy, Holiday was Madonna's first hit in Australia. It was huge here on the charts before any other country. Then followed by Burning up, Borderline and Lucky Star.

I realised I joined the thirty year fan club yesterday....

Wait, How do you know the actual date your Madonna fandom began? Impressive.

Wait, How do you know the actual date your Madonna fandom began? Impressive.

Because I got the LAV 12" as a present! I knew the song but was surprised to receive it as a gift. However, as I said, the b side was so good, I was really impressed. The video really was something amazing when I saw it too which wasn't easy in those days. Oh yes, then there was the infamous pink wig appearance on TOTP which seems so innocent now but was a real 'wow' moment when she did it!

I don't really remember anything before then. Although Holiday went top ten, I don't recall it getting much radio play nor Lucky Star. Burning .up never got released and borderline and everybody flopped so LAV was the first proper hit.

I think the other thing that turned me into a fan was HMV stocking all the imports with different covers and released earlier than the UK. It was all so exciting, the US MG and LAV sleeves still get me excited as they're so beautiful!

Sorry Ivy, Holiday was Madonna's first hit in Australia. It was huge here on the charts before any other country. Then followed by Burning up, Borderline and Lucky Star.

Maybe that explains why she hates Australia, we couldn't even get the single releases correct off of the first album :) its odd though as I tend to see a lot more copies of 12" burning up than holiday ( pretty scarce ) when looking in 2nd hand shops, vinyl stores and record fares. It also came in a beautiful hard cardboard cover instead the flimsy holiday paper cover :(

Anyhoo, fuck we must be old if we can recall purchasing like a virgin ;)

Maybe that explains why she hates Australia, we couldn't even get the single releases correct off of the first album :) its odd though as I tend to see a lot more copies of 12" burning up than holiday ( pretty scarce ) when looking in 2nd hand shops, vinyl stores and record fares. It also came in a beautiful hard cardboard cover instead the flimsy holiday paper cover :(

Anyhoo, fuck we must be old if we can recall purchasing like a virgin ;)

:laugh: Ivy, I remember when Madonna first appeared on Countdown. It was that performance from Top of the Pops in the UK. I really wanted that graffiti inspired midriff top ! Weird that Holiday caught on here straight away and become a hit. That is when dear Molly went to the USA, interviewed Madonna and promoted Burning up which became her 2nd hit. The video of her crawling around on the road seemed so outrageous and exciting to me at the time ! :lmao: I am pretty sure that she hit it big in the mainstream pop charts in Australia before anywhere else.

http://youtu.be/VMkwWamTRD8

30 years also :)

Same as JazzyJan!

Countdown - Madonna.....

A highlight would be travelling around Australia, up through the North & over to the West with my parents & sister, listening to her debut album over & over & over.

Dad really liked it, mum liked her because she could understand what she was singing. Mum went to the Girlie Show in 93.

I always get associated with Madonna. I often get 'I saw Madonna in tv the other day & thought of you'!

Really happy times growing up with Madonna:)

Aww, I love you already. My Kindred spirit in Madonna fandom. :laugh:

I wish I could recall the day I became a fan. I'm not sure what year I heard Everybody first. I remember loving Burning Up and the video although I am not sure when I heard or saw it first as I didn't have MTV yet and was still relying on video programs. I am absolutely sure though of being obsessed with Holiday on the radio. I remember loving that as well as Let The Music Play by Shannon. So I was definitely a fan by 1983.

Congrats on joining the 30 year fan club! It's also wonderful that you can remember the day!

Jesus, I'm at twenty five years. (38).

Funny, I've always been aware of Madonna's music during the 1980's and liked it, but I didn't become a full-blown fan until Vogue came out in 1990.

And it's always been about the music, first and foremost, for me. I sometimes feel as if her music found me exactly when it needed to find me in my life :blush: :cries:

Same. I thought she was old at this point, circa ROL, I also thought she looked old when I saw The Girlie Show. Now I feel old as fuck too :( 38 is the cut off point, mid 30s are fine!

I was first aware of her for LAV, seeing the vid on TOTP (don't remember the silly pink wig perf), I loved Material Girl and used to borrow my sister's 12 inch of ITG (with its excellent b-sides of Shoo-Be-Doo and Everybody :rotfl:). I remember being stunned by PDP when I was on holiday at my Aunt's in Surrey where we went every summer - a neighbour of my cousin's who I was friends with called Maddy had the Virgin Tour as well - she sounded so different. Oh and I loved OYH and had that on a chart tape I made.

But I didn't really get into music until I was 12 (for a time I loved it during childhood - was obsessed with Blondie and ABBA as a baby) and was sadly left with the worst of the 80s with SAW. My sister is 8 years older and I always wished I was her age or just a couple of years older (i.e. old but not O-L-D :p) so I could have fully experienced the 80s, the golden age of pop. :(

But after years of being fascinated by her I didn't come out of the closet as a fan till 1990 when I bought the Vogue CD single, I remember being transfixed by the legendary Radio 1 broadcast of Blond Ambition with all the swearing which destroys the comparitively witless Letterman appearance. From there I quickly bought up all her CDs, just in time for TIC coming out and the rest is ancient history.

I remember LAP being THE most exciting comeback as she'd been away so long and came back as a hot brunette - first as a throwback to my then favourite era, the wannabe era with the blonde streak and Virgin-esque clothes. Nothing could prepare you for that. But the Erotica era, well that was my favourite of course since the first I lived through as a full on loon, such an exciting comeback.. just when you thought she'd ran out of images. Shame it was such a rough time though. :(

The original fans do it better - bless Scraphole and Pud.

:laugh: Ivy, I remember when Madonna first appeared on Countdown. It was that performance from Top of the Pops in the UK. I really wanted that graffiti inspired midriff top ! Weird that Holiday caught on here straight away and become a hit. That is when dear Molly went to the USA, interviewed Madonna and promoted Burning up which became her 2nd hit. The video of her crawling around on the road seemed so outrageous and exciting to me at the time ! :lmao: I am pretty sure that she hit it big in the mainstream pop charts in Australia before anywhere else.

http://youtu.be/VMkwWamTRD8

I love watching Countdown videos on yt.. so much great stuff and the Oz charts are like a cross between the UK and US charts with a little local stuff thrown in

Has anyone seen the original Moly Meldrum Madonna interview from 1983? That's another that seems to have been wiped from the archives. :grr:

I thought, like Blondie, she did hit it big in Oz first.. but the "Burning Up" hit was a reissue in 1984 apparently. That Molly interview must be her earliest TV appearance though, Pud posted a pic from it and it looks really early, definitely predating 1984.

It's great to see so many people who've been there from the start as you all understand the metamorphosis from one album to another.

some of my pivotal moments which made me continue to go wow!

The pink wig!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LP-cCizBPO4

Into The Groove - came out of nowhere along with DSS which I still love and this beautifully edited video!

DYU live - the pulsating synth at the start!

After hearing nothing for 18 months, this dropped with the awesome club mix

this blew everyone one else out of the water!

Sex. Erotica. The whole era was just wow!

This was her renaissance after the Erotica backlash. The song just came out of nowhere and just stayed around.

Nothing Really Matters is still an amazing piece of art!

I adore the Oakenfold Mix of this

and that's just a few of the things that kept me going!