[Appreciate] GHV2 Interview with Jo Whiley on BBC Radio 1

Mattress

It is so great to listen back and see just how much she changes and then ultimately contradicts herself (as we all do throughout the normal evolution of life):

"I don't like collaborations, they are too gimmicky"....cut to, how many collabs now? LOL.

And yes. Bloody Guy telling her to cover up. I love the fact she married him and was happy but it amazed me how much he controlled her.

Do you think he was controlling, or was she afraid to fail at marraige a second time (this time with children involved)? She did seem to lose her edge during this time and gained it again after the divorce, so it's interesting to dissect.

But regardless, I'm glad she's away from Ritchie.

Guest CzarnaWisnia

Wow, thanks so much for posting, I LOVE listening to Madonna's radio interviews and never heard this one before.

I couldn't help a little yelp when she said she hated doing singing collaborations :lol: Well, only fools can't change their mind. Maybe now she also loves Playground and will feature it on tour...

But yeah, the interview is great thanks to Madonna, not the interviewer. I think most interviewers approach Madonna as a celebrity instead of as a musician, hence all the crappy personal questions on her children and marriage. Other musicians promoting a record don't have to answer all of that...

Why am I surprised :bad:

I think the constant negativity in your posts in regards to almost EVERYTHING Madonna does is more frustrating

Im criticising the journalist not Madonna. I don't criticise Madonna much. So get your facts straight before you have a go at me

It is so great to listen back and see just how much she changes and then ultimately contradicts herself (as we all do throughout the normal evolution of life):

"I don't like collaborations, they are too gimmicky"....cut to, how many collabs now? LOL.

After American Life flopped so hard Madonna changed ALOT!

I don't think she would of sang into the groove on a GAP commercial for plain jeans in 2001 either!!

strange she says that about duets when shes done the whole sending tapes back and forth with prince on like a prayer

and she worked with ricky martin around this time too. michelle on bedtime stories.

strange she says that about duets when shes done the whole sending tapes back and forth with prince on like a prayer

and she worked with ricky martin around this time too. michelle on bedtime stories.

They were never released though.

Her first "real" duet of her career was MATM with Britney.

Quite a come-down after shying well away from them publically for 20years.

I understand WHY she did it, in the aftermath of AL.....I don't think for a second Madonna would of entered the world of "duets" firstly in 2003 and secondly with miss.spears HAD Amercian Life not flopped.

They were never released though.

Her first "real" duet of her career was MATM with Britney.

Quite a come-down after shying well away from them publically for 20years.

I understand WHY she did it, in the aftermath of AL.....I don't think for a second Madonna would of entered the world of "duets" firstly in 2003 and secondly with miss.spears HAD Amercian Life not flopped.

What are you on about ? Madonna had duetted with Prince on Love Song. She had featured Meshell ndegeocello on I'd rather be your lover. Plus Madonna does change her mind about things. She once claimed she would never perform Material girl and Like a Virgin again and now admits that she changed her mind about those songs.

What are you on about ? Madonna had duetted with Prince on Love Song. She had featured Meshell ndegeocello on I'd rather be your lover. Plus Madonna does change her mind about things. She once claimed she would never perform Material girl and Like a Virgin again and now admits that she changed her mind about those songs.

I ment singles.

Madonna singling her classics again was a welcome change of mind for her fans....and the General public in terms of her tours aswell.

The duet change of mind, well I guess we are halfed in that.....MATM with Britney certainly divided many people!

Personally, I hated it, found it naff from start to finish, and it did look desperate on her part.

Thanks so much ! Love it. Love it when she said that Lola and Rocco had become obsessed with ' THAT ' Kylie Minogue' song .

I thought the same. She's definitely changed her mind on a few things, for better and worse.

I never knew that Sinatra asked her to do a duet. That would be have been great. Funny that I've always viewed Tony Bennett as a poor man's Sinatra. Makes sense now. ;)

^ Madonna did the collabos she did only for US radio exposure when she reached a moment in her mid 40s when US radio almost entirely stopped playing her (and that's not just about the AL controversy). Bono asked her to do a song with him and she answered no to that too between the late 90s/early 2000s

I still think that many people don't get the reason why Madonna featured people like Britney and Timberlake on her records, it was purely a business move and a counter-offensive aimed at US radio in particular. Radio in Europe and everywhere else works based on very different mechanisms than it does in the US and since 2003 things have gotten a lot worse there, especially for acts that get past 40, even more so if they are women

So if she said no to Bono and Sinatra which she obviously (internally) respects tons more than a Britney, Timberlake, Minaj, you name it, it's because AT THAT TIME she didn't feel like she needed it and it sort of made her stand out all the more.

Thinking about the course the entire recording music industry has taken (when you hear that U2 have an album produced by Guetta) or Coldplay duetting with Kylie and Rihanna, it's easy to see that Madonna has done the smart thing once again. Dance music and female pop are ever dominating and have a huge market share. Every pop girl will forever be measured up against her and even when I cringe a little bit watching the MATM video, I can understand what prompted Madonna to do it

Britney gave Madonna huge exposure among her teenage US demographics at the time and in the following years. Madonna is known everywhere as the template. Look at where Britney, Aguileras etc etc careers are now compared to the size that Madonna's career retains over 30 years later

^ This is 100% spot-on. I totally understand her reasoning. Some might call that selling out though. Not sure if I do or not. I'm more concerned with the quality of the music, and so far her collaborations have been mediocre at best. And it's only worked one time (4M), so why continue?

^ This is 100% spot-on. I totally understand her reasoning. Some might call that selling out though. Not sure if I do or not. I'm more concerned with the quality of the music, and so far her collaborations have been mediocre at best. And it's only worked one time (4M), so why continue?

I know what you mean but the point is that she wants to make her music, present and past, accessible and known to as many people as possible. If she did sell out she wouldn't have bothered to put out an album like COADF 2 years after MATM with Britney or put so much work into creating tours that are even bigger in size than her 80s ones

To me that's not selling out but pure usual publicity/business savvy on her part and that doesn't necessarily take anything away from the quality of her work. If anything she just works harder than everybody else and especially the younger crop of stars, when she could really afford to slow down the pace instead, considering how long she's been around and the sort of unprecedented career for a female singer she's had.