Madonna and the bitch lingo

Guest CzarnaWisnia

Guest CzarnaWisnia

When has Madonna's love for the bitch lingo started? It seems new to me how she so often uses it in her IG posts and, apparently, in many (supposed) songs and even song titles. Will journalists feel free to call her one, to her face, in future articles/interviews? What is her intention behind it? Is there any unconscious self-deprecation hidden in it? It's very mysterious to me.

It all started with... Human Nature.

As for the rest, it's difficult (foolish) to have an opinion of something we haven't heard. For now, both UB and Bitchery sound funny to me. Smart, cool, defiant, playful? We'll see.

What's mysterious to you about it?

If people are going to judge someone based on that, surely they have a problem. One can post like that and be intelligent and articulate at the same time. I love that she's not afraid of "acting" that way.

It's incredibly embarrassing to me.. all this faux ghetto talk. It makes her look like an arse hole.

Agree. The occasional comment I could let pass but, honestly, I don't think it works for her at all. Makes her sound illiterate and trashy.

Can't be as bad as Cher's awful online grammar. I'm enjoying M's attitude, it reminds me of her early 90s self, she became quite serious in the 2000's.

It's incredibly embarrassing to me.. all this faux ghetto talk. It makes her look like an arse hole.

It's not my favourite thing either, at times it comes across - to me - as slightly forced, but on the other hand I like the fact that she does not care about what other people may think about it.

BTW, @CzarnaWisnia, I often enjoy your witty posts. :thumbsup:

So wait...it's perfectly acceptable for men to use bitch and especially here own derogatory words towards women but it doesn't look good on a woman?

You do realise that Madonna claimed that word a long time ago in a famous quote and people have already called her that.

I have to agree with you. Faux ghetto on anyone is embarrassing.

When I see the likes of Banana wearing a ThugLife T shirt etc it makes me cringe. What does it mean anyway?

I think ghetto is generally misogynistic and hate when I see women buy into it. I don't think a lot of them actually appreciate the meaning behind a lot of what is said and how a lot of it is incredibly sexist, degrees women and treats them as nothing better than holes to be filled.

Sorry but I def. think whole over-usage of the B bomb is tired and silly. Not just talking M...it's just too try hard and not crafty or artistic :#. Seems since 2003 she's refused to stop referencing her old songs in new songs lol, using her name in songs lol, and waay too much faux ghetto sh*t that is just totally unnecessary. It's grating/repelling enough when Britney, Justin and the like do it. Even if M TRULY feels this is what her (f)art needs to be, um...will just say I always be a loon/supportive but not a fan of those particular things. For me, it always cums down to the music. Even if the rumours are true and she raps on any level and/or refers to her old songs on the upcoming new songs (yet again lol) long as its HOT and catchy and 10000% NOT GMAYL, MATM (or the like), I'm in!

So wait...it's perfectly acceptable for men to use bitch and especially here own derogatory words towards women but it doesn't look good on a woman?

You do realise that Madonna claimed that word a long time ago in a famous quote and people have already called her that.

Who exactly has said in this thread that it's acceptable for men to say it?

Guest Rachelle of London

I love when M uses slang words in the complete wrong context or flat out gets the expression wrong. :lmao: I think Rocco must be teaching her. The streets of Marylebone and the Upper East side are rough you know :dead:

Who exactly has said in this thread that it's acceptable for men to say it?

Are you serious? Have you pitched a fit over this particular issue and I missed it? You and some other men might not use insulting words towards women but you sure don't seem to have a problem with others using it.

Guest Rachelle of London

I can't see where anyone has said using bitch to describe a woman is okay either. Did someone delete their post or something.

Can't be as bad as Cher's awful online grammar. I'm enjoying M's attitude, it reminds me of her early 90s self, she became quite serious in the 2000's.

Exactly. I'm not a huge fan of it but there's way worse out there.

The "bitch lingo" sounds crass to me. Whether it comes from a man or a woman, I'm turned off by it. I'm not taking it too seriously, I just think it makes a person sound thick.

Madonna is just having fun on Instagram

Some of you take her writing in teenagese too seriously

Her instagram is the funniest thing she did in years

And this is the first time we can get a "real time" glimpse of the creative process without filters

And the press loves it

I find it thoroughly abhorrent as it goes.

If its supposed to be ironic - there's myriad ways of being better at being ironic.

If its 'reclaiming' the language / label - the context in which she wraps the word actually achieves the opposite.

If its an attempt to be so called 'ghetto', someone should walk her around a ghetto sometime to see that in the face of extreme adversity, people still have regard and care for each other; including with how they speak.

If its to be 'down with the kids', to the kids, she's old enough to be their mother, and musically, the word 'bitch' in a song is clunky and has been done to death in the last ten years.

Oh, and she's a very funny person at times. This is not funny, its embarrassing.

As an extremely successful, influential person in their 50's (and anyone who wants to claim I'm being ageist, then fine, but really, I don't consider it okay at any age, but would hope we each reach a stage where if we have got those habits, we've been able to let them go and move on as we enter adulthood), I'm sad that she appears more reluctant to share her considerable intellect in a positive, constructive, articulate, interesting, insightful way.

Its not just in respect of Madonna however, when I see terms such as 'Bitch, please' being used, I find it embarrassing at best. The thought that the extremely talented artist I've musically held in such high regard all my life is about to deliver something called 'Bitch, I'm Madonna' and 'Unapologetic Bitch' fills me with sadness.

A year ago, Madonna was delivering 'Art for freedom'... well, there are still parts of this world where the word 'bitch' is synonymous with a good beating or sexual assault, so while there are still too many folk who have this association, and would experience Madonna as possibly perpetuating this and wouldn't understand an 'ironic' subtext, I would hope she would not use it and stand up for speaking to / about / with each other in a different [more healthy] way.

That said, like us all, she can do what she likes, and maybe power / authority is a more central theme at play here.

I find it thoroughly abhorrent as it goes.

If its supposed to be ironic - there's myriad ways of being better at being ironic.

If its 'reclaiming' the language / label - the context in which she wraps the word actually achieves the opposite.

If its an attempt to be so called 'ghetto', someone should walk her around a ghetto sometime to see that in the face of extreme adversity, people still have regard and care for each other; including with how they speak.

If its to be 'down with the kids', to the kids, she's old enough to be their mother, and musically, the word 'bitch' in a song is clunky and has been done to death in the last ten years.

Oh, and she's a very funny person at times. This is not funny, its embarrassing.

As an extremely successful, influential person in their 50's (and anyone who wants to claim I'm being ageist, then fine, but really, I don't consider it okay at any age, but would hope we each reach a stage where if we have got those habits, we've been able to let them go and move on as we enter adulthood), I'm sad that she appears more reluctant to share her considerable intellect in a positive, constructive, articulate, interesting, insightful way.

Its not just in respect of Madonna however, when I see terms such as 'Bitch, please' being used, I find it embarrassing at best. The thought that the extremely talented artist I've musically held in such high regard all my life is about to deliver something called 'Bitch, I'm Madonna' and 'Unapologetic Bitch' fills me with sadness.

A year ago, Madonna was delivering 'Art for freedom'... well, there are still parts of this world where the word 'bitch' is synonymous with a good beating or sexual assault, so while there are still too many folk who have this association, and would experience Madonna as possibly perpetuating this and wouldn't understand an 'ironic' subtext, I would hope she would not use it and stand up for speaking to / about / with each other in a different [more healthy] way.

That said, like us all, she can do what she likes, and maybe power / authority is a more central theme at play here.

tumblr_mvyppdqXeI1r29n39o1_400.gif