Madonna Instagram Thread

XXL

"Mercy is searching the world over to see if there is anyone left with an understanding of the word ironic! #literalisdangerous"

397505_10152811712029402_479896398010898

:laugh: After reading some of the comments that people have left on Madonna's previous instagram message about power and money, I don't blame her for wondering if people don't understand the word Ironic. Sometimes you have to scratch your head at how literally stupid and clueless so many people are. They seem to continually miss the point. Madonna is always ironic with a great sense of humour.

:laugh: After reading some of the comments that people have left on Madonna's previous instagram message about power and money, I don't blame her for wondering if people don't understand the word Ironic. Sometimes you have to scratch your head at how literally stupid and clueless so many people are. They seem to continually miss the point. Madonna is always ironic with a great sense of humour.

Jan I don't like to think that but you do have to wonder.

Yes, Madonna must be stunned and amazed when she reads some of the stuff people post on the comments on her Instagram.

First they cut the arts and now it feels as if they have cut reading comprehension.

Oh and history too....:rolleyes:

You are so right. It's always been this way too, but it does seem to have gotten worse in recent years.....or maybe I just see more of it because of the internet. People have such knee jerk reactions when it comes to things she says or does without considering context.

You are so right. It's always been this way too, but it does seem to have gotten worse in recent years.....or maybe I just see more of it because of the internet. People have such knee jerk reactions when it comes to things she says or does without considering context.

True. It goes way back to the Material girl/Like a Virgin days but now it is even worse. It is as if people have no understanding of context, irony, dry humour or clever sarcasm. It is even more startling when it comes from her own fans whom you would think would now understand her style and humour. I understood the meaning and ironing of the Material girl video when I was a child and yet, I still see some fans on forums complaining about the video now ! Then seeing them say to her that she has always been a Materialist greedy person on her instagram and lecturing her.

True. It goes way back to the Material girl/Like a Virgin days but now it is even worse. It is as if people have no understanding of context, irony, dry humour or clever sarcasm. It is even more startling when it comes from her own fans whom you would think would now understand her style and humour. I understood the meaning and ironing of the Material girl video when I was a child and yet, I still see some fans on forums complaining about the video now ! Then seeing them say to her that she has always been a Materialist greedy person on her instagram and lecturing her.

MG is a perfect example and like you, even as a child I "got it". I don't see how it could be interpreted any other way being that she runs off with the guy that has the beat up truck and cheap flowers at the end of the video. Maybe they don't make it to the end amidst their seething anger?? Lol

The reaction of her "Obama is a Muslim" comment really surprised me. Idk, I guess because I was there when she said it, it was very obvious she was being sarcastic toward all the narrow minded bigots in America. Totally shocking that even Obamas camp didn't "get it". Everything is just a blurb now. All people did was read that she said it, or saw a 30 second video clip of her saying it (straight face and all) and that is their ammo to start popping off at the mouth about how she's stupid, out of touch, fake etc etc etc she is.

What's worse, even if she really broke it down and explained what she means ( which isn't generally her style), she would still get criticized. There is no room for dry humor or irony in today's world it seems. People are so literal it's scary.

You have to worry when someone like Madonna gets criticized over a post that is supposed to be ironic and yet the masses worship someone like Lena Dunham as someone who is 'witty' and 'deep'. I choose not too and this is coming from someone who likes 'Girls'.

Guest CzarnaWisnia

What's worse, even if she really broke it down and explained what she means ( which isn't generally her style), she would still get criticized. There is no room for dry humor or irony in today's world it seems. People are so literal it's scary.

Even though it's true now statements are cut&pasted out of context all the time and misinterpreted, dry humor and irony still have their place, but I think it's a question of the context of communication. When you're on a talk show, even though you're watched by millions of people, you're having a conversation. When a comedian is doing a show, it's expected. But when you're speaking to thousands of people in an arena in between songs and being filmed by phones, there's probably more risk of being misunderstood if you try irony. It's even worse if you try it on Twitter or IG where you only use a sentence and most of the time not even a correctly written one. Of course Madonna is ironical. But posting on social media something really short and ambiguous as to meaning and then saying people just don't understand you if a bit of a stretch IMO.

Even though it's true now statements are cut&pasted out of context all the time and misinterpreted, dry humor and irony still have their place, but I think it's a question of the context of communication. When you're on a talk show, even though you're watched by millions of people, you're having a conversation. When a comedian is doing a show, it's expected. But when you're speaking to thousands of people in an arena in between songs and being filmed by phones, there's probably more risk of being misunderstood if you try irony. It's even worse if you try it on Twitter or IG where you only use a sentence and most of the time not even a correctly written one. Of course Madonna is ironical. But posting on social media something really short and ambiguous as to meaning and then saying people just don't understand you if a bit of a stretch IMO.

Perhaps it's a stretch to expect someone not familiar with her to always get her sense of humor, but if you visit her IG on a regular basis, you should catch on quickly. There is no excuse for her longtime fans to not get her humor, I mean her work is filled with it.

Guest CzarnaWisnia

I agree but are most people following her on IG real big fans? Even with close ones sometimes irony is misinterpreted. I'm very sarcastic and ironic a lot of times and sometimes people don't know what the hell I mean.

When you reach thousands of people online, you're bound to attract a few loonies anyway. I don't know what people write to her on IG or FB as I don't follow that stuff, but I bet there's a lot of crap (or mostly pointless crap).