What are the things that actually make COADF such a great album?

It's amazing and has aged so well. It still sounds contemporary and fresh. The melodies are fantastic, the lyrics are the right balance of post-Kabbalah Madonna and fun-loving suspension of disbelief Madonna. The image was perfection. The looks were amazing.

Everything just fell in place so wonderfully with this project. One of her best albums and eras and I don't care who agrees or not.

QUEEN!

Guest eroticerotic

It's a mood album, and I LOVE those kind of records, from Pink Floyd to Lana Del Rey. It's its own world, even the tour. Just brilliant!

I don't agree that Hard Candy was a re-invention.

COADF was treated as an album event the same way that Music and Ray of Light were.

Not only was the album "themed" but Madonna had a completly new image, the style AND sound was Completly in sync.

Hard Candy didn't have that same level of classic Madonna "reinvention".

I agree the COADF era as a whole was more cohesive than HC, but the music on COADF was a variation of the sound she had been exploring on her previous 3 albums. HC gave us a whole new (for her) musical direction.

Those that say she was "selling out" after the flop of AL can get fucked.

You get fucked. Madonna stopped experimenting after AL's commercial failure. Today all we want is the new album to suck less than MDNA. That is a shitty expectation to have for an artist who gave us: Erotica, Bedtime Stories, Ray of Light, Music, American Life. Very shitty.

Guest bluejean

You get fucked. Madonna stopped experimenting after AL's commercial failure. Today all we want is the new album to suck less than MDNA. That is a shitty expectation to have for an artist who gave us: Erotica, Bedtime Stories, Ray of Light, Music, American Life. Very shitty.

While I'm a huge fan of her experimenting more and being the avant garde "critic darling" I really feel that she HAD to move on from that. Ray of Light, Music and the DWT were utterly brilliant but I think American Life bored too many people. Madonna isn't a electro folk artist here to preach Kabbalah, she's a superstar and Confessions really highlighted that whilst still maintaining an edge and credibility.

Whilst I love Hard Candy I think that was when she really tried too hard to be popular and started to become more about being a "brand." But I don't believe Confessions was a step backward, it was definitely the right move.

And I think she's returning now to where she left off with that by the sounds of it. Maybe not musically but in terms of expressing more of a point of view. Clearly the MDNA tour and the Art for Freedom stuff have moved her back in the right direction of being more of an artist than a brand.

:manson:

Idiot. You're very shitty.

While I'm a huge fan of her experimenting more and being the avant garde "critic darling" I really feel that she HAD to move on from that. Ray of Light, Music and the DWT were utterly brilliant but I think American Life bored too many people. Madonna isn't a electro folk artist here to preach Kabbalah, she's a superstar and Confessions really highlighted that whilst still maintaining an edge and credibility.

Whilst I love Hard Candy I think that was when she really tried too hard to be popular and started to become more about being a "brand." But I don't believe Confessions was a step backward, it was definitely the right move.

And I think she's returning now to where she left off with that by the sounds of it. Maybe not musically but in terms of expressing more of a point of view. Clearly the MDNA tour and the Art for Freedom stuff have moved her back in the right direction of being more of an artist than a brand.

Madonna is always better when she's musically experimental. But her brand was never about pushing the envelope musically.

Guest bluejean

Madonna is always better when she's musically experimental. But her brand was never about pushing the envelope musically.

And if it was she wouldn't have become a huge star. It's like how The Beatles, U2 and Bowie had their "experimental" music stages.

Get Together is one of her best ever tunes, so much good stuff on the album and the promo campaign was perfect even though i wasnt totally into the 70s image.

Guest Rachelle of London

Am I the only one that finds COADF more preachy than AL. Both albums are perfection!

Am I the only one that finds COADF more preachy than AL. Both albums are perfection!

The "message" felt out of place with the image and sound of Confessions.

Guest sambassile

Confessions is my favourite Madonna era and not my fav album. Whilst the first 20 mins are pure bliss with Hung up, Get Together, Sorry, and Future Lovers, the album kinda looses me with i love New York. The music picks up with Forbidden Love and Isaac. I don't mind Jump and Push but the rest are fillers. I always skip them.

Hung up and Get Together, back to back, are probably the best thing i have ever came across in my life. MAGIC !

Edited by sambassile

Guest sambassile

Can someone please tell me where i can get this studio version of Hung up?

Edited by sambassile

I can see why you would say that. I remember thinking after listening to it for the first time that it had the same message as AL for the most part. She just wrapped it up in a pretty "disco" package with COADF and it worked!

What, about how unhappy her relationship with Guy was?

Confessions the album had a flawless production, a perfect blend of electronica-disco-pop-euro-dance, the lyrics were good, with generic and personal topics that everyone can relate to. The only things I can complain about are: I Love New York (it kills the flow in the album and the lyrics are just a little better than GMAYL) and that Madonna's voice sometimes is kind of buried into the music.

The album also had a big and brilliant marketing plan, with ads everywhere (even Steve Jobs helped to promote it), presentations in TV shows, awards, a mini tour, the big and epic Confessions Tour, her Abba-ish looks, everything was well planned and executed.

Let's hope the new era recaptures some of that magic.

I can see why you would say that. I remember thinking after listening to it for the first time that it had the same message as AL for the most part. She just wrapped it up in a pretty "disco" package with COADF and it worked!

The confrontational tone of Life could not sustain itself through subsequent albums. A lighter sound and image will attract the masses.