What are the things that actually make COADF such a great album?

I think it is the right mixture of modern/post modern dance music, coming from an artist like Madonna who is the queen of dance music, it fit perfectly. the lyrics are meaningful...her voice creamy smooth...

Don't forget that people were eager for such music from Madonna, and it came about at just right time, especially the song Hung Up. Steven Spielberg once said that the magic of Indiana jones was like catching lightning in a jar - Confessions was the same way. Hung Up was an instant classic.

^ Not sure it was instant. I remember plenty of groaning about the vocals, the lyrics, and even the sample (some people thought it was cheesy). Some said she was selling out with a silly love song after AL flopped. But obviously it became a huge smash and it's definitely become a classic.

M nailed it by starting off the album with HU & then playing straight into GT!

I enjoy listening to HC & MDNA just about as much as COTDF, but it was her last album that felt magical to me..

The first half of the album is glossy, but at the same time, it's full of emotions. And it gets darker towards the end: Madonna takes us to a faraway land of electro Kabbalah, in our memory; the opening hedonistic club stomper "Hung Up" almost feels like a foreign tune. But surprisingly, when the journey has ended, you realize that the album on a whole flowed so cohesively.

Guest bluejean

Along with Ray of Light it's the Madonna album that flows the best. I don't necessarily think every song is killer but as an entire package it just really works. And mixing each song together was genius.

As for all the homages on it, something about that makes it super cool cos the sound is so modern at the same time. I've never listened to this album on vinyl but I think it would be perfect that way. Lyrically it really summed up what she was trying to say with American Life except it's not preachy. My God, I really really love this album. Those that say she was "selling out" after the flop of AL can get fucked.

M nailed it by starting off the album with HU & then playing straight into GT!

I enjoy listening to HC & MDNA just about as much as COTDF, but it was her last album that felt magical to me..

the introduction to Get Together is just dreamy and heavenly... :)

Along with Ray of Light it's the Madonna album that flows the best. I don't necessarily think every song is killer but as an entire package it just really works. And mixing each song together was genius.

As for all the homages on it, something about that makes it super cool cos the sound is so modern at the same time. I've never listened to this album on vinyl but I think it would be perfect that way. Lyrically it really summed up what she was trying to say with American Life except it's not preachy. My God, I really really love this album. Those that say she was "selling out" after the flop of AL can get fucked.

I don't think "selling out" is the right term. She definitely made a conscious decision to change direction. I think if AL had done well, she would have continued down a similar path. It was an abrupt shift. That doesn't mean it's not a great album.

It's a masterpiece. Get Together is perfection. I LOVE IT ALL!!!!

Get together is my favorite song. ;-)

The continuous mix works flawlessly and every song still has it's own identity. Plus, who else but Madonna could pull off a a song like future lovers going straight into I love New York? Her voice in

Forbidden Love is perfection and still sounds fresh to me. I love it all!

The image was also an incredibly important part of making COADF so great - the whole Saturday Night Fever inspired retro 70's disco theme really became iconic. A big of Madonna's success has always been that she has such strong overall looks and themes for each era (e.g. the original 80's downtown girl for her first album, the retro 50's theme for TB, the Catholic iconography and cone bras for LAP and BAT, the S&M of Erotica and the Sex book, the ethereal asian goddess for ROL, etc), and this was the last of that standard to date. In my opinion, part of why HC and MDNA struggled was because there wasn't really a discernible or clear overall theme in their promotion. Everything about COADF was on point - the leotards, the Farrah hair, the disco balls, and the photoshoots and performances.

Confessions-on-a-Dance-Floor-by-Madonna-

Madonna-Confessions-On-A-Dance-Floor-Pho

madonna-hung-up-video-cap-0016.jpg

madonna-sorry-music-wallpapers-1024x768.

madonna-768.jpg

as already said by virtually every poster, COADF is a cohesive album with great music and a striking look for Madonna.

it is probably the last time M had a whole brand new look and image for a new album to go along with the music. TV performances and promo in general were top notch and she was glowing and beautiful.

It is interesting to notice as both album and tour are a favorite of other fan bases and casual fans too - at that time i was living in Milan and you could hear it everywhere...shops, clubs, grocerie stores etc etc

It is also a fans favorite although i remember people saying it was a smart damage control move from M after the unfamous AL fiasco.

to be honest with all of you the very first time i listened to the album in full i could not wait for it to be over and i had a massive headache at the end :doofus:

The flow of the tracks 1-4 is just perfect, it is unmatched on any of her albums. And then there is a speaking part in Jump, I was mesmerized with it for the first couple of months back then. COADF is a masterpiece.

I am sure her chemistry with Stuart might have resulted in one more great album only if she wanted to.

I find it so euphoric - it just puts me in a good mood no matter what when I hear it.

It's one of those albums that I distinctly remember hearing for the first time and just loving every track.

The album title alone makes it great!

And, like many others have already said, it's a very cohesive album and thus flows perfectly from start to finish. The album doesn't have too many highlights and stand-out songs IMO, but neither has it low-points (unlike HC or MDNA) - there are no moments where it feels the songs' quality varies vastly in terms of production, vocals, lyrics etc. when comparing them with each other.

And it also was the last time there was a completely new look to go along with the album (and my god, WHAT a look! :dramatic:) along with a common theme (disco fever). I kinda miss that from M now - I know it's hard to re-invent oneself after so many years, but COADF was more than 20 years into her career to and she perfectly pulled it off with a new theme and look she hasn't adopted before.