Mariah speaks about Madonna in new interview

Ugly Hecty

Starts at the 4:00 mark...

She says: "Madonna is a trailblazer, she really helped the music industry in a lot of ways..."

Not quite as shady as one would expect. There's probably less animosity between these two compared to M & Janet.

The rest of that interview is full of shade though. :popcorn2:

I cant view it either.

In what context was Madonna brought up?

I assumed it was a radio interview or something because her music fades in and out but it sounded pretty crappy and unprofessional. The guy was asking her "this or that", and he asked Madonna or Beyonce.

She also said in the 80's she wanted to just be called Mariah so there was a singer with one name and she wanted to see what she looked like so she went to a record store, for some reason she wouldn't say who it was.

Guest HaveASit

Let's face it, she is obsessed with Madonna. If she stops for 5 minutes this diva character, she would admit her love for M songs.

And, by the way, this "I don't like/listen to pop songs" statement is beyond pathetic, since she IS a pop/R&B act. It sounds like she is shading herself.

Guest Rachelle of London

Well when she made those comments about M that was 20 years ago. I would like to think that in 20 years my opinions would've grown or changed.

Its sounds like she is just becoming more bitter as hell by the day that she is an aging singer who is pretty much just a local "star" who cant seem to score a hit for her album to be launched with.

She is not iconic. She has done nothing iconic image wise. Most of her hits have all but been forgotten. She doesn't have touring to fall back on as this chick couldn't fill up a stadium if her life depended on it. Her acting career is a flop. Her sting on Idol was a flop.

The only thing she has going for her is her team that keeps pushing the "Best selling female of all time" shit in hopes that saying a lie long enough and loud enough will get people to care once again.

Well when she made those comments about M that was 20 years ago. I would like to think that in 20 years my opinions would've grown or changed.

Its just funny that she said she hasn't listened to Madonna since she "used to be popular" and here we are 20 years later and no one gives a crap about Mariah, and Madonna is still getting press for every tiny move she makes and is still selling out stadiums the world over.

Not to mention the biggest hit of the last decade for Mariah (the emancipation of MuMu) was still outsold globally by Confessions and Confessions didn't even need a re-release to tack on extra sales. Add to it Mariah's follow up album was outsold globally by Hard Candy.

Good luck coming close to MDNA's total with this new one Mumu. :lmao:

Its sounds like she is just becoming more bitter as hell by the day that she is an aging singer who is pretty much just a local "star" who cant seem to score a hit for her album to be launched with.

She is not iconic. She has done nothing iconic image wise. Most of her hits have all but been forgotten. She doesn't have touring to fall back on as this chick couldn't fill up a stadium if her life depended on it. Her acting career is a flop. Her sting on Idol was a flop.

The only thing she has going for her is her team that keeps pushing the "Best selling female of all time" shit in hopes that saying a lie long enough and loud enough will get people to care once again.

She can fill up 3 stadiums, not with fans...

mariah-carey-fat-.jpeg

Mimi said in the late 1990s that Madonna was a legend, and that no one can touch what she's done, but it made her seem "petty" when she said negative things about her. In that same interview, she addressed Sandra Bernhard's off-color jokes about her.

Its just funny that she said she hasn't listened to Madonna since she "used to be popular" and here we are 20 years later and no one gives a crap about Mariah, and Madonna is still getting press for every tiny move she makes and is still selling out stadiums the world over.

Not to mention the biggest hit of the last decade for Mariah (the emancipation of MuMu) was still outsold globally by Confessions and Confessions didn't even need a re-release to tack on extra sales. Add to it Mariah's follow up album was outsold globally by Hard Candy.

Good luck coming close to MDNA's total with this new one Mumu. :lmao:

What's REALLY funny is that Madonna was immensely popular in 1995. She had just had three HUGE hits with "I'll Remember," "Secret," and "Take a Bow."

Mimi's commercial success overshadowed Madonna's though, in the early- to-mid-90s.

Remember in Vanity Fair, when Alex K., I believe, talked about how they were at a party, and some female singer came over and said, "My record sold 300,000 this week, what did yours sell?" or something to that effect. I always wondered if it was Mimi- who else could it have been?

Mimi, by the way, years ago did say she was a fan of the first album, if I recall.

mariah carey was never bigger than madonna. madonna is cultural. mariah is by the bucket.

Exactly Mariah has and never will have any cultural signifigance

Madonna one the other hand...

Even from 92-97 when Pariah was selling more than Madonna for a paltry 5 years Madonna was still destroying her with tour grosses and attendance, media coverage, cultural influence, worldwide fame etc.

M adonnawas still scoring there covers of prestigious A list magazines like Vanity Fair, Vogue, Rolling Stone and Time when Evita came out

While Pariah was lucky too score the cover of C list fashion mags like Marie Claire

Hell Rolling Stone didn't even put Pariah on the cover until 1998!

Guest Rachelle of London

Are we still discussing who was more relevant in the charts 20 years ago? Well it's clear to see who came out on top. It seems M (who has been complimentary about Mariah and her music) and Mariah have moved on (who also has been complimentary about Madonna) we all know MImis a bitch but she is to everyone. Nothing personal to Madonna

Let's face it, she is obsessed with Madonna. If she stops for 5 minutes this diva character, she would admit her love for M songs.

And, by the way, this "I don't like/listen to pop songs" statement is beyond pathetic, since she IS a pop/R&B act. It sounds like she is shading herself.

Exactly. I really hate the "i'm too good for pop music" mentality in general but coming from her it's so hypocritical :lmao:

But she wasn't shady toward Madonna this time, i give her that.

Guest Madomination

Well...she DO have the most number one hit singles..... :stir:

Edited by Madomination