Is M's next single a "surefire" Top 10 hit?

It's crazy how in the UK we went even from even her weakest singles hitting top5-10 to her lead single not even entering the top30.

She was the biggest artist of Warner. They were 100% behind using all their resources. Universal has tons of other big artists to care about and make profit off of them. They couldn't care less.

Celebration was her last properly released single in the UK and that's why it hit no3. Hopefully, things will be different when the next lead single drops.

Wasn't GMAYL also not higher in the UK (and potentially US) because there was a mixup with the single release vs. the song on the album for the pre-order? Or at least in America, didn't they F up the single release? Can't remember right now the exact details of what happened, but something was messed up.

Alls I know is if the song is good, a great video that also gathers buzz so people stream it, there are some promo tricks say for even radio, and there are no mess ups, the song could hit top ten in the US.

It was in the UK. Because the first few days of sales were bundled in with the album (i.e. buy the album and receive GMAYL immediately), the Official Charts Company refused to count them, so she only had a few days' sales contributing to its debut position. It's been suggested in the past that, had those sales counted towards its chart position, it would have debuted in the Top 15 (certainly not the Top 10 and still a major disappointment for her lead single, but still better than barely scraping the Top 40).

As for the US, they went all out to get her as high up the charts as possible and it worked, although there was a glitch on iTunes at one stage which saw the single disappear from the store for a while (it was #2 and then disappeared completely - it never made it back up as high again, unfortunately). Overall, though, I think they would have been happy with the record-extending Top 10 peak of the single in the US.

i can confirm debate about FROZEN - RAY OF LIGHT but in a opposite way.

i read that WB wanted ROL to be a first single and she insist it to be FROZEN even they didnt believe in ballad as a first single.

now. i didnt watch it in some interview but read in some article. so easily it can be misinterpreted.

It was definitely the Warner execs who wanted "Frozen" (does anyone here remember the Madonna Mailing List? This info was discussed widely in December 1997).

It wouldn't have peaked in the top15 even with those sales included. The song was non existent in the UK. It barely got any plays on radio and TV. It didn't even enter the top75 on airplay. Both on radio and TV. Something was just wrong.

Madonna's last album in the UK was Hard Candy. FACT.

It was in the UK. Because the first few days of sales were bundled in with the album (i.e. buy the album and receive GMAYL immediately), the Official Charts Company refused to count them, so she only had a few days' sales contributing to its debut position. It's been suggested in the past that, had those sales counted towards its chart position, it would have debuted in the Top 15 (certainly not the Top 10 and still a major disappointment for her lead single, but still better than barely scraping the Top 40).

As for the US, they went all out to get her as high up the charts as possible and it worked, although there was a glitch on iTunes at one stage which saw the single disappear from the store for a while (it was #2 and then disappeared completely - it never made it back up as high again, unfortunately). Overall, though, I think they would have been happy with the record-extending Top 10 peak of the single in the US.

It would have made it to #1 on itunes in the US if not for that glitch.

They certainly don't need to have mistakes like this with the new single.

I miss the days of Frozen, Music and Hung Up when Madonna simply didn't need any "tie ins" or iTunes "deals" to get a top ten hit.

GMAYL was her weakest lead ever, so it NEEDED something to help it chart....

I'm confident her new album will be back to classic Madonna, with a brilliant lead single!

I never understood what happened here. Was it ever explained? I remember how excited I was to see it at #2 and then the next day it was gone…lol

They hype surrounding any new madonna single at this point in her career guarantees her a top 10 I think now whether it quickly drops down is another story.... not sure of that one

They hype surrounding any new madonna single at this point in her career guarantees her a top 10 I think now whether it quickly drops down is another story.... not sure of that one

I agree to a certain extent.

Madonnas legendary status creates hype BUT without the hype of SuperBowl in 2012....why did MDNA and GMAYL have?

The new single will defiently need a great "set up" aswell as Madonna leading it.

It wouldn't have peaked in the top15 even with those sales included. The song was non existent in the UK. It barely got any plays on radio and TV. It didn't even enter the top75 on airplay. Both on radio and TV. Something was just wrong.

Madonna's last album in the UK was Hard Candy. FACT.

How do we know this, though? Where would it have peaked? It debuted at #11 in Ireland, and aside from regional acts, the Irish and British charts don't tend to be THAT dissimilar. To be fair, it did reach the UK Top 40 airplay chart (albeit very briefly), and it reached the Top 15 on the TV play chart, so it received some exposure (certainly much more than any other UK single since "Celebration", aside from "Masterpiece").

As for your "fact"....um...sorry, Jasonakos, but I think you need to review the definition of the term ;)

Well Hanky Panky went no.2 on UK, so I cannot see why GMAYL flopped?

And don't start with the "she was on top of the world in 1990".

Because no one knew GMAYL existed in the UK. HP was her follow up to her biggest single ever at the time while she was on the road for the BAT which every single media covered ad nauseam (well, I loved it though). You can't compare the two. Different centuries....

How do we know this, though? Where would it have peaked? It debuted at #11 in Ireland, and aside from regional acts, the Irish and British charts don't tend to be THAT dissimilar. To be fair, it did reach the UK Top 40 airplay chart (albeit very briefly), and it reached the Top 15 on the TV play chart, so it received some exposure (certainly much more than any other UK single since "Celebration", aside from "Masterpiece").

As for your "fact"....um...sorry, Jasonakos, but I think you need to review the definition of the term ;)

GMAYL was practically ineligible for its first week in the UK chart (no iTunes sales). Otherwise it would have been at least top 20 and possible top 10. These were special circumstances, this time and with a proper release Madonna can't miss the top 10 in the UK.

Madge looked invincible in the UK until "MDNA." I don't think she's guaranteed to go top 10 anywhere anymore.

i can confirm debate about FROZEN - RAY OF LIGHT but in a opposite way.

i read that WB wanted ROL to be a first single and she insist it to be FROZEN even they didnt believe in ballad as a first single.

now. i didnt watch it in some interview but read in some article. so easily it can be misinterpreted.

WB wanting "ROL" sounds right.

Im not sure but I think i remember it was in Icon magazine that she said she really wanted ROL as the lead single but WB opposed to this because F is much more classic M , so that listeners will not be shocked by the new sound of ROL, a good transition from classic M to electro M, something to that effect...