Does Platinum Blond Hair = More Fame?

albertogerard

I just re-read an old issue of Entertainment Weekly on the making of the SEX book. According to the hairstylist, Madonna wanted to keep her natural brunette hair. Apparently, everyone convinced her to have a rush bleach job because "Blond says MORE". Looking back, Madonna seems to have had more fame as a platinum blond. Or at the very least, got her more attention. Am I wrong?

Should Madonna try the platinum hair again?

No offense Alberto but this is so dumb.

She's Madonna, she's the textbook definition of "fame" no matter what hair color she has.

She's Madonna, she's the textbook definition of "fame" no matter what hair color she has.

SO, we can have a thread about what Madonna MIGHT be doing in a PARALLEL UNIVERSE but I can't bring up the color of her hair (of which she herself has sung about?

Well, excuse the hell out of me. LOL.

No offense, but it's not as dumb as a thread about Madonna's alleged drug use.

I remember the interview about her wanting to keep her hair brunette. I was surprised that they didn't do some pics with her hair dark before the bleach job. For variety's sake at least. Lol!

I do think her hair looks better platinum blonde, as opposed to the middle of the road honey color she's been sporting for the last 6 years.

Forgot to mention in my post that I think Madonna looks lovely no matter what color her hair. It was just a question I was posing to all Madonna lovers here after reading that article :-)

I love her with any colour, but I m really for a dark hair for the new era. Its time for her to shake it up a bit.

I dont think the platinum hair means fame for her. She was platinum around Bedtime Stories and lots of folks lost interest around that time :).

Guest Rachelle of London

Great thread topic!!!!!

Not dumb at all considering this has been brought up in the past and is a huge portion of post colonialistic debates.

I dunno about Madonna but she has had success being a brunette look at LAP.

She should go darker for the first single of the next album and release a beautiful ballad.

I 100% agree with you. IF she does a ballad, def a brunette look. Also (obviously) if she went for a dark or Goth sound. However, if she does something dance-oriented, then I would LOVE a platinum hair look.

I think being blonde does attract more attention when you are a beautiful women. Some people aren't even conscious of this but it has been so deeply ingrained in society. Just look at barbie. Platinum Blonde Hair is not going to make some one famous if there is nothing else there. I think platinum blonde hair is a tricky thing because it can age you or make you look younger depending on your age. Girls who are 18 or 19 and have the fried white hair usually look around 22-25 to me. Then when you see a women around 30-35 who has a little age on her face and the flat bright color of the hair brings out every crack on the face and ages them a bit. I thought Madonna during the Girlie Show looked absolutely beautiful and I love that hair a lot but she looked older then her age to me. Maybe because she was also very slim at the time. I some times wish she would cut it short again like that but with her new face it might look very strange. When you see an older woman 55-65 I think the Platinum blonde can actually make them look younger because they already have wrinkles and age on their face by that point but the bright blonde hair makes them look younger.

Not sure what hair colour has to do with her ballads. In the video clips for Live to Tell, This used to be my playground, Bad girl she was a platinum blonde and looked beautiful. For You'll see she had a honey blonde sort of colour and looked beautiful and for I''ll remember, Rain and the Power of Goodbye she was a beautiful brunette.

I think she looks lovely as a blonde, brunette and red-head.

Would love to see MadRyan do her hair for the next video though.

Not sure what hair colour has to do with her ballads. In the video clips for Live to Tell, This used to be my playground, Bad girl she was a platinum blonde and looked beautiful. For You'll see she had a honey blonde sort of colour and looked beautiful and for I''ll remember, Rain and the Power of Goodbye she was a beautiful brunette.

I do see what you're saying (I think). Madonna usually does the brunette thing when she wants to be taken seriously as an "artiste" (Like A Prayer, American Life). Madonna is definitely aware of her looks depending on the project. I know she often uses wigs but, I can never tell when it's a wig or the real thing.

But for certain videos I just CANNOT see her as a brunette, like the "Express Yourself", "Vogue" or "Don't Tell Me" videos. It just seems like her most "Iconic" moments were when she was a blond.

For example, even though her "Ray of Light" album was universally loved (and possibly had critics focus on the MUSIC for once), her presence wasn't felt as much as when she released albums that weren't as loved but, because she was blond, they got way more attention. JMHO.

If there had never been blonde she probably wouldn't be what we know her to be today...it defines her for a lot of people

MadRyan would do a GREAT job on her!

Thanks y'all :-)

I'm working on a way to work my way into the impenetrable circle! LOL

I'm in it for the tour!! No one even sees the videos anymore. LOL

I love her doesn't matter what her hair color is. She wasn't exactly platinum blonde at the time of Ray of Light yet we all know how successful that era was.

I guess blondes get more attention, but I would love for her to go brunette again

600full-bob-main.jpgmadonna16.jpg

146912_original.jpg

230843-dans-son-album-american-life-mado

Its been 12 years since last time.

Longest brunette break ever, WHY?

Its been 12 years since last time.

Longest brunette break ever, WHY?

It doesn't advantage her so much anymore at her age i guess. Plus, it's a pain in the ass to go from brunnete back to blonde. She's probably afraid of fucking up her hair.

It doesn't advantage her so much anymore at her age i guess. Plus, it's a pain in the ass to go from brunnete back to blonde. She's probably afraid of fucking up her hair.

C'mon, 12 years is a long time. Not even once?

Great thread, it's true that she uses brunette when she wants to focus atention on the music project, more than the iconic persona. I can't imagine COADF as brunette, and i can't imagine AL as blond.

It always amazes me though that she wanted to be brunette for Express Yourself, but had to be blond because of I'm Breathless.

Anyway, she sung that line about "i wish i knew the colour of my hair" or something like that in Secret Garden. I think that sometimes she has felt lost in the Madonna public persona. The blond one.

I remember that there were some studies about the colour of lipgloss and the crisis. Women chose bright red colour when economy was weak, because it gave them reassurance. And models and fashion use certain colours. Hair colour affects perception too (well, blondes have always catched male atention too, haha).

I think a brunette ballad has been done before. I think it would be more surprising (and read: successful) if she did a more aggressive tune brunette.

madonna-human-nature-video-cap-0001.jpg

yoVP1sO.jpg

I think a lot of M's problem is that the public expectation of her is so strong. It is necessary to take people out of their comfort zone so they can listen without prejudice (well, too much prejudice: it's still Madonna).

I think a big pop/more punchy track would work brunette, and she can bring out a ballad blonde.

tumblr_n1rbqnnA3x1rri1w3o1_500.jpg

This would simultaneously allow her to do what the public wants, by making the-blonde-Madonna-we-all-know less "youth-hungry" and more "quiet", and still put out the type of music she wants. Talking in MDNA terms, a Gang Bang style song with the brown hair would be exciting; Falling Free blonde would be beautiful.

I just re-read an old issue of Entertainment Weekly on the making of the SEX book. According to the hairstylist, Madonna wanted to keep her natural brunette hair. Apparently, everyone convinced her to have a rush bleach job because "Blond says MORE". Looking back, Madonna seems to have had more fame as a platinum blond. Or at the very least, got her more attention. Am I wrong?

Should Madonna try the platinum hair again?

As your story indicates, platinum blonde does not equal more fame -more fame equals platinum blonde.