Pussy Riot about M

Pressston

I'd read an interview with the one that was freed first several months ago and Madonna was mentioned but she didn't seem impressed by the support from her. A shame but I can understand how they may feel like its a bandwagon. Things are pretty bad in Russia but I still think they should be grateful god any support.

The international furore must have helped secure their release.

but isn't madonna the first big artist who mentioned pussy riot? everyone else jumped on the bandwagon after her.

ugh anyway i just don't want the press to have a field day with this again :(

Madonna has been a big supporter of them, she does her research, she's up to date of their status. I'm sure she is aware of what they think of her.

One thing M is great at is fighting with kindness. i.e Elton GG

They're like nothing in the U.S. They barely ever got any press here. If the media makes a big deal out of this then they're desperately going out of their way to give Madonna bad press.

well i guess she could say publicly about not caring whether they like her or not, that it's the cause/the situation in russia that's wrong and needed to change.. something like that.

Yes, very good idea. The best one regrading the situation i think. I wouldn't be surprised M would do this.

damn....really surprised that they would publicly disrespect anyone who has given them support and raised awareness about their plight . Says a lot about their character. Hope people call them out on this . I'm sure she will still go ahead with the introduction/speech unfazed and above it all per usual. Will be more awkward for them than her.

But why would Madonna get bad press over this? She didn't do anything wrong, technically shouldn't. Puss Riot get bad press for being ungrateful bitches?

I don't know how the media can spin this negatively against M

Lol, they seem to have forgotten this video

Madonna is the first person they mention

I thought this was done by people at MTV and not the real Pussy Riot?

I'm not at all surprised.

And having "Pussy" in your band name doesn't make you edgy, dears. They were lame from day one and even if it turns out they were misunderstood and love M, they are still lame.

Guest Xanthium

It doesn't come across as bad as people are making it out to be (surprise, surprise) In all honestly, using the term "freedom fighter" in reference to Madonna is a bit of a stretch and eyeroll-inducing considering what real freedom fighters go through, specifically things like jail time, intimidation, torture and death. Pussy Riot was most likely taken aback by such a term being used to describe Madonna. Or they could have just been laughing at the term itself. I doubt they dislike Madonna.

Did no one continue watching when the announcer mentioned Sinead O'Connor? The response from the dark-haired girl was "Obviously, Madonna and Sinead O'Connor are very cool" and then outlined how the situations faced by Madonna and Sinead in Ireland and the US were very different to the one faced by them in Russia. She was responding to the notion of Madonna being a "freedom fighter" and probably sees her situation as being very different to Madonna's. After all, Madonna hasn't been locked up for expressing her opinions. Maybe if she'd been prepped a bit better, the girl would have avoided making it look like she was ungrateful to Madonna. If the interviewer had asked her if she was grateful for what Madonna had done for them, I'm sure he would have received an appropriate answer.

It doesn't come across as bad as people are making it out to be (surprise, surprise) In all honestly, using the term "freedom fighter" in reference to Madonna is a bit of a stretch and eyeroll-inducing considering what real freedom fighters go through, specifically things like jail time, intimidation, torture and death. Pussy Riot was most likely taken aback by such a term being used to describe Madonna. Or they could have just been laughing at the term itself. I doubt they dislike Madonna.

This is exactly how I interpreted it :thumbsup:

Guest Xanthium

Did no one continue to watching when the announcer mentioned Sinead O'Connor? The response from the dark-haired girl was "Obviously, Madonna and Sinead O'Connor are very cool" and then outlined how the situations faced by Madonna and Sinead in Ireland and the US were very different to the one faced by them in Russia. She was responding to the notion of Madonna being a "freedom fighter" and probably sees her situation as being very different to Madonna's. After all, Madonna hasn't been locked up for expressing her opinions. Maybe if she'd been prepped a bit better, the girl would have avoided making it look like she was ungrateful to Madonna. If the interviewer had asked her if she was grateful for what Madonna had done for them, I'm sure he would have received an appropriate answer.

Exactly.

well said!

#PussyRiot shading Madonna at the 48 minute mark. http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/10248675/

doesn't seem that bad but I'm watching without sound.

the guy interviewing them already seems to take joy out of it

Based on that video I would say that it is no big deal. I think people here may be overreacting. :chuckle:

Obviously Pussy Riot's outspokenness in a dictatorship and that of international mogul Madonna carry very different risks. There may be some translation issues. After the confused bit she says that Madonna is cool.

Let's not forget that the trial and imprisonment of Pussy Riot was already a HUGE international talking issue BEFORE Madonna ever entered the picture. Madonna's intentions were undoubtedly sound and she also gained publicity for joining the good cause of pleading for Pussy Riot's release.

I would suggest people not to get their knickers in a twist over this and see things in perspective. :old:

yes, seeing it they didn't look "shady" at all. but the people describing it certainly made it seem like it was really bad. However, Madonna supported them on almost every show of her MDNA tour as soon as people found out about what happened in russia with them.. she didn't just say nice words about them a few times, it was almost every single day.. every single show. even during rehearsals, too.