I have come to love the album version of...this much-maligned song

Crystal Coffin

Have you ever heard it on loud speakers? In a car? Boombox? Trust me, IT KNOCKS! :wow:

The rap is good, it's her voice that needed improvement! Rap is all about flow & delivery; had she spit her verse in the same tone of voice she used in the intro (the 'do I have to change my name' part) it would've worked better. But still, I love it as is.

IsaacHarris: I asked you to talk about how crap the album version of TUTR is. You kept quiet about it :lmao:

Whats there to discuss? It's THAT BAD. :lol:

I remember hearing the leaked snippet & thinking 'Madonna, girl, nah, quit it, cut, stop, ugh, NO THANKS."

Whats there to discuss? It's THAT BAD. :lol:

I remember hearing the leaked snippet & thinking 'Madonna, girl, nah, quit it, cut, stop, ugh, NO THANKS."

Of course that was the most underwhelming of all the snippets! Thank God she KILLED IT LIVE...with the screaming and whatnot :wow:

People were put off the rap because prior to the song / album release, Madonna said in interviews that she would be "rapping" on the album. Of course, then people thought she was gonna be spitting out some Eminem style rhymes and we got "I get a double shott-ay".

Had Madonna and her team not hyped up rap as an element of the song / album, it wouldn't have been seen as such a problem.

Guest Not4Pussies

But the song without the rap goes nowhere. I love the combination of the hard electronic beats with the sweet acoustic melody. I remember madonna in a radio interview referring to the sound of AL as 'stiff.'

I think the song tanked with the general public (and many fans) because of the cheese-factor that is a whiny/preachy celebrity telling people what to think. I thought the rap was in good humor and fun. But, I'm with Crystal Coffin, the contrast in production is to die for.

Additionally, the next time Madonna gets asked, for the trillionth time, how she juggles her career with her motherhood I hope she answers by rapping: "...I got a lawyer, a manager, an agent, and a chef. Three nannies, an assistant, a driver, and a jet."

I love it and the rap too. The whole point of the rap is that it's ironic. It's mocking rap culture...or commercial obsession.

I've always seen it this way.Actually,it's a pretty genius use of irony considering the american charts were all about hip hop back then,even more so than today

Love this song. Always did. Always will! Now in 2013/14 people actually start to mix acoustic stuff with electronic music. 10 FUCKING YEARS LATER! American Life was clearly ahead of it's time and it'll become more appreciated as time passes, just like Erotica. I'm 100% sure about that.

Guest Rachelle of London

AL was a hit here, I actually remember it being played on Capital at least twice an hour....the Jonathan Ross performance though :chuckle:

I love it and the rap too. The whole point of the rap is that it's ironic. It's mocking rap culture...or commercial obsession.

I think it went over lots of heads.

I think the biggest disappointment of her career was pulling the uncensored AL video. Who cares if she would have been crucified by the US. It would have been punk as fuck.

I think it went over lots of heads.

I think the biggest disappointment of her career was pulling the uncensored AL video. Who cares if she would have been crucified by the US. It would have been punk as fuck.

She topped that off by excluding the song and video on Celebration! I still don't get that up to now.

Sonic madness is the perfect way to describe this song! It's not a smooth, chilled out listen. It's jerky, "stiff" and abrupt in some parts. I think that had as much to do with it's relative lack of commercial success as the rap. I wouldn't consider AL one of my fave M albums, but I've always liked AL the song BECAUSE of the "sonic madness". At the time I wished the album had more of that than the acoustic driven tracks. That outro sounds insane on good headphones!

I need to give the AL album a listen all the way through again, it's been quite a while!

Guest Not4Pussies

I don't know much about mastering and stuff. What makes it the best? I also heard that HC had crap mastering. I can't tell the difference :-/

Oh yeah AL rocks!!!! Fuck it!

Listen to the album on loud speakers or surround sound then listen to MDNA. You'll know what I mean. As for HC, i think only the Timbaland tracks are not mastered that well.