Cher on Madonna (Twitter, interviews, etc.)

elijah

The best thing ever for Cher was to not have Gaga agreeing to release their duet. It's plain AWFUL ! The greatest is more like the grotesque. Cher has the Scissor sisters on her album including a duet with Jake so she does not need Gaga's rancid 90's leftovers.

Gaga just wanted to attach herself to Cher like she did with other icons to be considered one by association.

Guest Rachelle of London

Exactly, and wasn't she one of Madonna's first real showbiz friend. Wasn't she backstage at the infamous VMAs 1984

I saw the incredibly fun interview she did with Andy Cohen on Bravo TV.....she was pretty passive about Gaga and the duet...she just said she guessed Gaga changed her mind about the track and no longer wanted it to be heard. Cher also said that she felt the songs she has for the new album are her very best to date. I have always loved Cher's upfront attitude and honesty.

As for the whole "Madonna/cunt" statement....that was in 1991, Madonna was a lot bitchier and brattier back then so I don't hold it against Cher....at least she was bold enough to say it....at the time M was still very much THE star of the universe. She also said that she found Madonna to be rude....again, early 90s, very believable.

Guest Not4Pussies

I like Cher. I like her personality, her sense of humor. I like her movies more than her music though. Check her out in the movie Mask. She was robbed from an Oscar nom. Anyhow, can the mods start giving Yummy some warnings? His trolling and nonsense is getting ridiculous. Where is the sane yummy that gave us the GGW scoop?

For me, Cher's best music work is the little known "not.com.mercial" album from 1999 (web-only release, Cher wrote or co-wrote all of the songs, her most accomplished and artistic project to date)....and the UK version of "It's A Man's World" (the US version cut some songs and had alternate R&B-ish versions of majority of the tracks to tap the then-popular sound of the US market....the original is the UK version and it is her best vocal work to date).

I know her new album will be all "dance"....but I personally wish that she would re-explore the edgier, sultier side of her music and voice as she did just before the smash success of "Believe".

I agree that Yummy is getting SUPER grating/annoying and agree he's doing nothing more than trolling (in various threads) to start sh*t (simple as that).

As for Cher- her 'negative' comments abt. M have been minimal at the most and were from freaking 22-25 years ago lol! Even then, she ALWAYS respected her. I'm totally indifferent about Cher (not a fan or hater) but shes a legend, has been around 50 fckin years and even w/ all the surgery looks fab.! Great actress too. Her energy and persona is like someone 20 years younger. Even w/ her dyslexia, shes positively got to be very street smart to still be in the game

Something i HATE about the whole Cher situation is the fact that almost no one call her " a old granny desperate for relevance" or something like that yet this stuff happen ALL the time with Madonna who's younger than Cher and WAY more mature.

With Cher it's always "oh she's funny, she's adorable, i love her shade,..." and more shit like that but with Madonna it's always "Granny need to shut up". I HATE double standards.

^ oh, please! Public has said that Cher was old since she was on her 40s! When i was a child, she was labelled as old, that's why i was so surprised when i knew that she's barely 10 years older than Madonna. Cher's been called "old" since she was in her 40s! The same with Tina Turner.

Madonna was called "old granny" when she reached her 50s! Nobody called her that when she released ROL or Music! When Madonna released 'Music' she was the same age as Cher singing 'If I could turn back time'.

^ oh, please! Public has said that Cher was old since she was on her 40s! When i was a child, she was labelled as old, that's why i was so surprised when i knew that she's barely 10 years older than Madonna. Cher's been called "old" since she was in her 40s! The same with Tina Turner.

Madonna was called "old granny" when she reached her 50s! Nobody called her that when she released ROL or Music! When Madonna released 'Music' she was the same age as Cher singing 'If I could turn back time'.

Well if you actually look on various forums and articles, Cher apparently got a free pass for being old, that's not the case with Madonna.

Well if you actually look on various forums and articles, Cher apparently got a free pass for being old, that's not the case with Madonna.

I think this is true now, though I don't think it always has been. She was dragged over the coals for her surgery back in the day, much the way that Madonna is now. The other thing about Cher is that she's not done anything big in years so I think to many people she's sort of considered to be out of the game, whereas Madonna is still a force to be reckoned with, which makes her a more obvious target.

I remember plenty of public and press referring to Madonna as "old" on the early 00's.

Guest bluejean

It's because Madonna is way more famous than Cher.

Elvis / The Beatles

Madonna / Michael Jackson

About 30 others

Then Cher

Not to say she's not a legend but when she doesn't have a project to promote she is not seen nor talked about. Madonna is always talked about especially now in comparison to current female pop stars as she is the bench mark in that arena.

When Believe was out people went on and on and on about Cher's age and her plastic surgery. She was the age Madonna is now. That's actually all I remember them saying about her. And it had been so long since she'd had a hit, it seemed like this random comeback out of nowhere. Madonna isn't in the charts as much now but she hasn't been absent for 10 years like Cher had when she had her comeback.

Guest bluejean

Oh and by the way, I like Cher abit. But I wouldn't be caught dead listening to her in front of anyone :lol: She's not like Madonna where she has such a great back catalogue and it's cool to like her.

It's because Madonna is way more famous than Cher.

Elvis / The Beatles

Madonna / Michael Jackson

About 30 others

Then Cher

Not to say she's not a legend but when she doesn't have a project to promote she is not seen nor talked about. Madonna is always talked about especially now in comparison to current female pop stars as she is the bench mark in that arena.

When Believe was out people went on and on and on about Cher's age and her plastic surgery. She was the age Madonna is now. That's actually all I remember them saying about her. And it had been so long since she'd had a hit, it seemed like this random comeback out of nowhere. Madonna isn't in the charts as much now but she hasn't been absent for 10 years like Cher had when she had her comeback.

I agree yet disagree with this sentiment. In many Americans minds, Madonna has been absent from the scene for a decade or more. Cher may have been seemingly "quiet" during the mid to late 1990s, just prior to "Believe", but she was releasing projects (several movie appearances, a critically acclaimed album). In the past decade she has done nothing but Vegas and Burlesque since wrapping her never-ending Farewell tour so this time around it would truly be a "comeback".

We are fans, we pay attention, but to the average American, Madonna has become nothing more than celebrity tabloid fodder concerning her stage antics, cosmetic procedures, comparisons and pseudo-fued with Gaga and sadly her adoptions. "4 Mins" was her only US market return to relevance but even that was fleeting. To me, this is a great thing as the US market is crap and groups like LMFAO can dominate the charts.

what about the Superbowl?

LOL...duh, yes, the SB. Again, so many people thought THAT was all the woman had been up to in years. I heard people say things like "she should start touring again" after they saw the SB performance. I was like, "that's WHAT she's been doing the last few years!" It is mind-boggling how she tours the globe with these massive tours yet so many people are unaware!

4 Minutes still remains her last bit of US chart relevance, GMAYL was played as SB hype but quickly dropped once the event was over with.

Something i HATE about the whole Cher situation is the fact that almost no one call her " a old granny desperate for relevance" or something like that yet this stuff happen ALL the time with Madonna who's younger than Cher and WAY more mature.

With Cher it's always "oh she's funny, she's adorable, i love her shade,..." and more shit like that but with Madonna it's always "Granny need to shut up". I HATE double standards.

I can definitely remember Cher getting some shit for "not acting her age" back in the day. The media would talk lots of shit about her back when she was dating younger men (anyone remember "Bagel Boy"??) and especially when she wore outfits that consisted of what looked like electrical tape and fishnets that exposed her 45 year old tattooed ass.....lol. BUT I will say, they weren't as vicious with Cher as they are with Madonna and maybe part of that is because the tabloid media is far more aggressive and has grown about 1000% since those days and as someone else mentioned, Madonna is simply a bigger celebrity. Honestly, I also think Cher's very successful acting career in those days kind of helped her maintain some credibility. It seems like people felt Cher was just dressing up and being silly to an extent, whereas with Madonna they truly felt she LIVED her sexed up image. I'm sure if the internet were around in 1989, Cher would've had it harder though.

I will say, I can remember Madonna's age starting to become an issue when she was around 35 though.

Oh and by the way, I like Cher abit. But I wouldn't be caught dead listening to her in front of anyone :lol: She's not like Madonna where she has such a great back catalogue and it's cool to like her.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I used to work in the office a trucking company, and I proudly played Cher's GH on several occasions (and this was after her Believe success). :) One of the older hetero guys even said how he loved "The Way of Love" and it was one of his favorite songs.

So, bluej- no need for you to feel shame in listening to Cher.

As for double standards- Madonna's always projected as such a tough, threatening female, who's maintained relevance for so long, that that may be why some try (unsuccessfully) to tear her down with age remarks.