UK CHART - THE SHOW IS OVER SAY GOODBYE!

horn

:lol: That video is a great example of mass hysteria. :wow: Yeah, I was speaking to my good friend Lady Jane Darling and she told me that she would never buy another Madonna record again! I mean, what with her not being a Great British housewife anymore. The WI are organising a protest and the general public are supporting a Madonna embargo. I just hope I don't see her around London or I might have to give her a piece of my mind! #shakes fist# Toodlepip old chum!

P.S 12:51 I think you give media reports way too much credence. I think it may be more reliable to go from life experience. :chuckle:

:chuckle:

I find this thread hilarious only from the assumption that some people think Guy Ritchie is some popular icon in the UK. He is and always was a joke. An upper class guy trying to pass himself off as a mock cockney geezer. He has had a couple of successful films, but he is more famous for who he married (and divorced), and the divorce certainly has done nothing to dent Madonna's popularity. If anything the fact they are good friends and have worked to have a good post divorce relationship for the sake of their children has only added to admiration for her.

Brilliantly explained :thumbsup:

Now some people on here need to study this and stop speaking nonsense

Brilliantly explained :thumbsup:

Now some people on here need to study this and stop speaking nonsense

:lmao:

It always makes me laugh how people keep trashing Guy here making out he's some hated, has been. He's just had another worldwide smash hit with the second Sherlock Holmes film. He's not an unpopular figure here in Britain at all in spite of what the lambs here might say. He pretty much keeps out of the limelight, he's been very discreet about his divorce and just gets on with his film making. However, the poor lambs here will never forgive him for the divorce.

As for Madonna, I think there is a respectful indifference towards her, like many great artists of her era. If she does something great, it will do well but if it's average, people will ignore it. They know she can deliver so they'll just wait until she does.

:lmao:

It always makes me laugh how people keep trashing Guy here making out he's some hated, has been. He's just had another worldwide smash hit with the second Sherlock Holmes film. He's not an unpopular figure here in Britain at all in spite of what the lambs here might say. He pretty much keeps out of the limelight, he's been very discreet about his divorce and just gets on with his film making. However, the poor lambs here will never forgive him for the divorce.

As for Madonna, I think there is a respectful indifference towards her, like many great artists of her era. If she does something great, it will do well but if it's average, people will ignore it. They know she can deliver so they'll just wait until she does.

I have nothing but admiration for Guy. I love some of his films and I recognise he has talent in his field. The second installment of Sherlock Holmes did as well as the first one grossing over half a billion dollars :thumbsup: I am glad he has found some commercial success too at last coz I honestly think doing Swept Away with Madge back then in 2001 interrupted his ascending trend (especially if you consider the gap between the numbers of Lock stock and the numbers and exposure his second outing Snatch received). I was agreeing with Wright's general implication that Madonna's success in the UK was independent of the fact that she was married to Guy just as it stands alone now that they're not married anymore.

It was however a good phase in Madonna's career PR wise since the WHOLE WORLD loved to see her being the *upper middle class American wife of a "Britsh film-director" (with aristo background etc), currently residing in London*. It sort of exemplified her own nickname of "Queen of Pop".

I have a lot of sympathy for Guy and I do think that those saying that because she and Guy parted ways, the UK public has turned their back on M and the press started depicting her as a rude materialistic bitch are talking bullshit. However it must also be noted that Madonna's level of fame was and still is huge compared to Guy's.

Even in this trashy tabloid TV report, you hear some of those journalists pointing out why of all people Madonna chose Guy back in 1999/2000. He was a rising star on his own of course but once he was associated to M (she is so big to overshadow everything else) the press started to label him as a Madonna man, rather than Guy Ritchie, the film-director.

:lol: That video is a great example of mass hysteria. :wow: Yeah, I was speaking to my good friend Lady Jane Darling and she told me that she would never buy another Madonna record again! I mean, what with her not being a Great British housewife anymore. The WI are organising a protest and the general public are supporting a Madonna embargo. I just hope I don't see her around London or I might have to give her a piece of my mind! #shakes fist# Toodlepip old chum!

P.S 12:51 I think you give media reports way too much credence. I think it may be more reliable to go from life experience. :chuckle:

Don't talk to me bout needing life experience - seriously, NOT from you :rotfl: what a joke

I am completely BAFFLED that GMAYL isn't doing well in the UK when the top of the UK charts is usually filled with the WORST POP/Dance tunes.... odd...

Seriously Candy Shop??? Even if I'm french, I was embarassed by the sexual metaphore, candy & her raw sugar... Can we just stop talking about HC

Ok, can you (or anybody else) help out a confused, thick dumb blonde with this one? I know Candy Shop is supposed to be a metaphor for sex but to this day I have failed to understand what "my sugar is raw" actually refers to. WHAT THE HELL DOES IT MEAN? Please explain so that I can understand (I am mentally retarded, it's true). THANKS!

im still trying to figure out exactly what 'magic' 4M had vs. GAYL LOL??

Radio programmers liked it. The hook was stronger. It fit more with what radio was playing at the time. And Justin Timberlake.

Radio programmers liked it. The hook was stronger. It fit more with what radio was playing at the time. And Justin Timberlake.

"4 Minutes" was an excellent first single.It is catchy,radio-friendly and truly infectious.It appealed to many people outside of Madonna's fanbase,which is exactly what a single should do.I like GMAYL but it doesn't seem to have that same commercial appeal.

"4 Minutes" was an excellent first single.It is catchy,radio-friendly and truly infectious.It appealed to many people outside of Madonna's fanbase,which is exactly what a single should do.I like GMAYL but it doesn't seem to have that same commercial appeal.

4 Minutes is repetitive garbage...I can't stand listening to it anymore...one of M's worst singles...

4 Minutes is repetitive garbage...I can't stand listening to it anymore...one of M's worst singles...

Funny, that is what I think about "GMAYL".

It really cracks me up that when you point to a track's relative success (commercially) some people say, "Oh, well half the garbage in the Top 10 is selling well so it must have nothing to do with quality," when in fact sometimes that is not true. Chart positions and sales can often point to how much people like something and how it is appealing the the masses. There are reasons why Confessions outsold American Life. I may not think that "4 Minutes" has aged as well as some of Madonna's other hits, but I do know it was good enough and funky enough for its time to be the huge digital success that it was. I feel like some people in this forum think, "Well, it is crap to me so it must be a mystery why it did so well and GMAYL didn't." There is no mystery...most casual Madonna fans liked that song and they were willing to pay money to own it. Some hardcore fans may like GMAYL, but most of the casual record buying public does not, and I understand why. No one is saying you can't like it, but commercial appeal is simply not present to the level that it was with "4 Minutes."

Funny, that is what I think about "GMAYL".

It really cracks me up that when you point to a track's relative success (commercially) some people say, "Oh, well half the garbage in the Top 10 is selling well so it must have nothing to do with quality," when in fact sometimes that is not true. Chart positions and sales can often point to how much people like something and how it is appealing the the masses. There are reasons why Confessions outsold American Life. I may not think that "4 Minutes" has aged as well as some of Madonna's other hits, but I do know it was good enough and funky enough for its time to be the huge digital success that it was. I feel like some people in this forum think, "Well, it is crap to me so it must be a mystery why it did so well and GMAYL didn't." There is no mystery...most casual Madonna fans liked that song and they were willing to pay money to own it. Some hardcore fans may like GMAYL, but most of the casual record buying public does not, and I understand why. No one is saying you can't like it, but commercial appeal is simply not present to the level that it was with "4 Minutes."

Dude, you sound like a broken record.

Plenty of the casual record buying public like the song. It is in the top 10 on the Billboard Hot 100. That is a huge feat.

I understand you don't like the song and that plenty of other people don't like it, but what you seem to fail to understand is that PLENTY of people, including myself, actually really love/enjoy the song. There is no point in forcing the fact that you do not like it down everyone's throats. It won't change the fact that it is a bonafide hit, not in the U.K. because as many explained, they were selling the album on pre-order, therefore, the single could not chart well. And who cares if it doesn't do well in one country?

Again, the song is good. My opinion. The song is mediocre. Your opinion. Neither one of our opinions make it a factual statement. Can we please try to be positive on this Madonna forum? Expressing your dislike is fine, but when you do it over and over and over it seems like you are trying to state it as a fact that the song is just not good or not lead single worthy. That is your opinion, not a fact. :)

4 minutes is one of the worst songs of Madonna, not just one of her worst singles. Why it did great in Europe? Because it came out AFTER Confessions! The same thing happened to Music, which again would never have been the monster hit it was if it wasnt for the fact it followed ROL. After 4 minutes (a horrible song), Madonna had poor choices for singles from HC, instead of releasing the greatest songs there: TBGO and Devil she opted for the repetative GITM and MA, which charted horrible in the UK, because they are not great songs like HU, Sorry, Jump, Get Together. After that: Celebration and Revolver... The reason why GAYL is bombing is because it comes out after singles that left bad taste in your mouth. Then she is away 4 years... Instead of focusing on her music, she comes back with one of the weakest singles in her career... Well GMAYL is better than AL or 4 minutes, actually much better, but it still is a weak bubblegum song that fails to impress anyone. Its no surprise its bombing in UK. The song is obviously very weak since it is bombing in every loyal market of hers internationally (minus Canada I guess).

Dude, you sound like a broken record.

Then block my posts. No one makes you read them and you sound like you'd be happier if you didn't bother.

Plenty of the casual record buying public like the song. It is in the top 10 on the Billboard Hot 100. That is a huge feat.

I understand you don't like the song and that plenty of other people don't like it, but what you seem to fail to understand is that PLENTY of people, including myself, actually really love/enjoy the song. There is no point in forcing the fact that you do not like it down everyone's throats. It won't change the fact that it is a bonafide hit, not in the U.K. because as many explained, they were selling the album on pre-order, therefore, the single could not chart well. And who cares if it doesn't do well in one country?

I understand that there are people who like it. I am glad it was a hit. My point was that "4 Minutes" was bigger and more successful for a reason. Can you explain why more people bought that song and not this one? And it is not just one country that it is not doing well in. I guarantee you by the end of next month this song will be a memory on most charts worldwide.

I feel like certain people in here assume that if you say something is not successful (or as successful as another Madonna single) they take it personally or an attack on their taste. They bring testimony from friends and other people "who love the song" as if that is in question. You can like whatever you like - you can like eating your own poop for all I care - I was just trying to point out why a song like "4 Minutes" connected with more people and generated more sales than this recent song. That's all.

Madonna's single drops out of Top 40

Her single Gimme All Your Luvin’ has proved a disastrous flop, despite launching to an audience of 114 million at the Super Bowl

So, it seems not many of you actually L-U-V Madonna after all.

Her single Gimme All Your Luvin’ has proved a disastrous flop, despite launching to an audience of 114 million at the Super Bowl half-time show.

During the performance, she dressed as an Egyptian – and genuinely looked like she’d been born around 3,000BC – but, sadly, the PR masterpiece hasn’t made a huge impact, as the single looks set to drop out of the Top 50 in the Official UK charts this Sunday after debuting at 37 last week.

Madonna's single drops out of Top 40

Her single Gimme All Your Luvin’ has proved a disastrous flop, despite launching to an audience of 114 million at the Super Bowl

It’s one of the worst showings in the 53-year-old’s career – although not as bad as Revolver, which achieved a pitiful 130, although it had already been available on a greatest hits album Celebration for three months prior to its release.

The 53-year-old's single prior to that, also entitled Celebration, went to number three in 2009.

Some downloads were given away last week as a free bonus track when fans pre-ordered her new album (MDNA, gotta love her for that) and these downloads do not count towards her chart placement.

Some fans thought the chart position had been affected by this and would recover this week, but sales have been ever fewer.

Give Me All Your Luvin' was her first new track for three years - and a first release under a new three-album deal she signed with music giant Universal.

It is the first time the lead track from one of her albums has not gone into the top ten since her debut single in 1982. And most new songs have made it into the top three.

Tickets for Madonna's Hyde Park show this summer - part of an international tour - went on sale last Friday and have still to sell out.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/lifestyle/going-out/music/madonnas-single-drops-out-of-top-690007

Madonna's new single to drop out of Top 40 charts already

Give Me All Your Luvin' was unveiled to a record audience of 114 million in the US at the Super Bowl on 5 February - plus millions more globally - with a performance which turned into a headline-grabbing controversy, but it has become one of her biggest UK chart flops.

After debuting at a lowly 37 at the weekend, the song - the first taste of her new album, MDNA - will drop out of the top 40 completely this weekend.

Latest sales figures suggest it could plummet down to 51 on Sunday if current levels continue.

It is one of the worst showings in almost three decades of chart hits for the singer in a career which has generated 13 UK number ones.

Give Me All Your Luvin' was her first new track for three years - and a first release under a new three-album deal she signed with music giant Universal.

he performed it along with a greatest hits medley at the Super Bowl earlier this month, during which British artist M.I.A. - who features on the song - upset some viewers with a rude gesture. The Telegraph's music critic Neil McCormick said the stunt was a "shameless promotion of her return to the pop front line".

Although Madonna's previous single Revolver fared worse in 2009, reaching only number 130, it had already been available on a greatest hits album Celebration for three months prior to its release.

The 53-year-old's single prior to that, also entitled Celebration, went to number three in 2009.

Some downloads of Give Me All Your Luvin' were given away last week as a free bonus track for fans who pre-ordered the album, which meant they did not count towards the chart placing. Some fans thought the chart position had been affected by this and would recover this week, but sales have been ever fewer.

It is the first time the lead track from one of her albums has not gone into the top ten since her debut single in 1982. And most new songs have made it into the top three.

Tickets for Madonna's Hyde Park show this summer - part of an international tour - went on sale last Friday and have still to sell out.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/music-news/9089143/Madonnas-new-single-to-drop-out-of-Top-40-charts-already.html

MADONNA SONG PLAYED TO 114M PEOPLE FLOPS

MADONNA'S new single has flopped despite a Super Bowl launch before one of the largest-ever TV audiences.

Her live performance o

f Give Me All Your Luvin’ was seen by 114million American football fans in the US and millons more globally.

But it has become one of her biggest flops in the UK charts. After debuting at a lowly 37, it is expected to drop out the top 40 this weekend. It is one of the worst showings in almost three decades for the 53-year-old singer, who has had 13 UK number ones.

Give Me All Your Luvin’ was her first new track for three years. It is from forthcoming album MDNA, the first in a new three-CD deal with record label Universal.

Tickets sales for Madonna’s only English gig on her 2012 tour, at London’s Hyde Park in July, are also a relative flop.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/view/235994/Madonna-song-played-to-114m-people-flops/

4 minutes is one of the worst songs of Madonna, not just one of her worst singles. Why it did great in Europe? Because it came out AFTER Confessions! The same thing happened to Music, which again would never have been the monster hit it was if it wasnt for the fact it followed ROL. After 4 minutes (a horrible song), Madonna had poor choices for singles from HC, instead of releasing the greatest songs there: TBGO and Devil she opted for the repetative GITM and MA, which charted horrible in the UK, because they are not great songs like HU, Sorry, Jump, Get Together. After that: Celebration and Revolver... The reason why GAYL is bombing is because it comes out after singles that left bad taste in your mouth. Then she is away 4 years... Instead of focusing on her music, she comes back with one of the weakest singles in her career... Well GMAYL is better than AL or 4 minutes, actually much better, but it still is a weak bubblegum song that fails to impress anyone. Its no surprise its bombing in UK. The song is obviously very weak since it is bombing in every loyal market of hers internationally (minus Canada I guess).

not in France and Italy.