And I just realized for the 30th time that nothing...

MaddysMuff

Guest Coked Up Baby Boy

1. REI UF LAIT.

2. MODONNA.

3. EMERIKAN LAIF.

FAKTS.

That's actually the exact order my list is in, mmm hmmm.

Say what you will now...but before the war/video debacle...this song was expected to be huge. HBO used part of it as promo for their shows (it was the first time the 2nd verse was heard)...Billboard heard it and expected it to be bigger and fit better into the mainstream as far as "america protest" songs go.

It was probably never going to be as big as Music, but the war and the video definately played a huge part in radio not embracing the song.

I remember from the HBO clip I thought the song was going to be really big.

Guest Pud Whacker

I remember from the HBO clip I thought the song was going to be really big.

yes, for the sopranos. xo the preview preview!!!

It was an inevitable flop IMO. It's just not a single. At least Hollywood or Lurve Profusion may have been minor hits. American Life came and went within like a week's time. I don't think it was the war shit or controversy that killed the album - it was THAT SONG.

I agree. In all honesty, I don't remember the video controversy being THAT big of a deal, certainly nothing like the Dixie Chicks were going through at that time. Still, I think had the song been something that the general public latched onto more, the video wouldn't have really mattered. Being that the video was barely seen, I never really thought that had very much to do with the performance of the song. I truly think the AL backlash had more to do with the music than any message she was trying to convey.

I do consider the album her weakest effort but it still has it's place in her catalog for me. There is no song on that album though that would've made a MASSIVE impact as a lead single like her previous and subsequent lead singles. I've always thought calling it Hollywood and having that as the lead single would've helped a little, but the AL album was pretty much doomed from the start commercially.

Guest Coked Up Baby Boy

The album was too electronic heavy for the casual listeners imo. It still sold 4 million copies didn't it? i'd say that was mostly her hardcore fanbase.

I knew a couple Madonna fans at the time who thought the song itself was just awful, so i guess it's shitty chart run was due more to that than what the song was about. The rest of the singles didn't fair too well down here either. Love Profusion got a lot of radio play here, but it charted pretty weak, Hollywood i don't remember seeing or hearing anything about here, although i did buy the maxi single. I think people just weeren't into her at the time to be honest, they weren't feeling the vibe of her output at the time.

*inserts obligatory "American Life was MASSIVE in FRANCE" comment*

It's like our version of the Beast's fans going on about how massive she is (literally and metaphorically) in South Africa.

And for that reason, it is endearing. Yes.

Guest bluejean

i remember everyone loving it until the RELEVANT backlash began. "its what music should have been!!!" everyone screamed.

i love the entire album. one of my favorites. xo

It's sort of like how many squealed that 'Hung Up' was a terrible Gwen Stefani rip off before it went shooting up the charts. Or that Confessions was 'Generic dance music.'

And then Hard Candy was also praised but is now hated. Weird.

It's like our version of the Beast's fans going on about how massive she is (literally and metaphorically) in South Africa.

But it was, she even said so herself during RIT Bercy! it sold like 600.000 copies or something (right?)

Just check this :

http://forums.madonnanation.com/index.php?showtopic=32800

Guest Evil M

It's sort of like how many squealed that 'Hung Up' was a terrible Gwen Stefani rip off before it went shooting up the charts. Or that Confessions was 'Generic dance music.'

And then Hard Candy was also praised but is now hated. Weird.

I don't remember anyone hating Hung Up or Confessions in the beginning. If anything, it got loads of praise and then after a while people got tired of it and the disco theme but when Hard Candy came out Confessions seemed like the best thing since sliced bread in comparison.

Or maybe that's just me.

I remember all the excitement about Nothing Fails on the radio in the UK - it really got all the attention when the album was sent out. I never liked the production of the AL single and then it was followed by the extremely limp 'Hollywood' which all but killed the album here. The only good thing was all the remixes that were coming out to try keep the project going.

The AL video has never been a fave of mine - all too obvious for me and a war theme that doesn't really go with the song. Just seemed like a bunch of ideas that weren't really defined and clumsily executed.

There are some great songs on the album but the furore over the project overshadowed the quality of the music. I wished she'd started with Nothing Fails.

Since then, I listen to the remixes quite a lot. It will be one of those albums I put on one day and realise just how much I like it.

:rotfl:

For me the problem with American Life single was that musically was too similar to Music and Die another day, nothing new, apart from the lyrics which would have been stronger and meaning along with the original Video. I guess by this time people were sick @ Mirwais sound.

And agree Hollywood as second single kill the album, I guess Nothing fails would have been the best choice, mostly for European countries, and then Hollywood and Love profusion at the same time.

BTW this is the Madonna album I listen the less, I even find Hard Candy more enjoyable because at least you can have fun with this.

Guest northernlad

The title track is the worst thing she's ever done & the era was equally as bad since she gave up after the 1st week sales came in, but I'll always be in the minority 'Mirwais is a genius' camp. The album really works for me, especially "Die Another Day", "Love Profusion", and "Intervention" (I've always wondered how things would've played out with this as the lead single... that sound would be very unexpected Madonna).

:D At least France is one of the big 5 tho. She was absolutely adored w/ critics, media & radio, it was her biggest market in that era, but calling about 500k in sales at that time massive is a bit of a myth.

It was an inevitable flop IMO. It's just not a single. At least Hollywood or Lurve Profusion may have been minor hits. American Life came and went within like a week's time. I don't think it was the war shit or controversy that killed the album - it was THAT SONG.

Unfortunately I must agree.Half of Music and AL were hard to listen to... The elementary melodies, the stiffness, the lack of any happiness, those were never her trademarks... She always touched people, because she was making first and formost pleasant, melodic, relatable music. That was not the case with AL and it rightfully flopped. But thanks to it we got the great COADF so it had some meaning.

I don't remember anyone hating Hung Up or Confessions in the beginning. If anything, it got loads of praise and then after a while people got tired of it and the disco theme but when Hard Candy came out Confessions seemed like the best thing since sliced bread in comparison.

Or maybe that's just me.

I had that feeling too. If I have to be honest it was the same for me. But then I began to really love HC. And I love it today, though not as much as COADF. HC is shaping into her most underrated album. It is actually a great MADONNA album. It is her, its pop, its great, it has some great lyrics and melodies.

No 1 should insult u 4 bing a Hard Candy apologist nemore :fag:

:lol:

Myself and the rest of the world will try not to laugh to hard at anyone that would consider AL to be her best work.

But hey if a handful of Madonna loons think AL is her best work ever....all five of you can ROCK OUT with your cocks out under the TREE OF LIFE together and sing Koombya with an acoustic guitar. :headbang:

Just a few critical RAVES:

"This album, if it came from a newcomer, could kill a career stone dead."--Playlouder

"Making records, it seems, may not be her strong suit anymore."--Rolling Stone

"For once, Madonna has stumbled not because she reached too far, but because she didn't reach far enough."--Stylus

"American Life is revealing and diverting -- no bad things in a record -- but in the end the brow-beating, finger-wagging and psycho-babbling take their toll."--Mojo