Stuart Price on why Madonna didnt work with him after COADF

elijah

:lmao:

It's funny that you're the one laughing :chuckle:

While you are lazily waiting for the next "Madonna coming out of Cecconi with Stella" pic to pop out of the web to gratify you or keeping busy writing poor (and very very subjective accounts of Madonna's artistry or her lack of something or whatever, she has made $240m in the past 24 months alone and barely 40 months ago has been featured on every major international media outlet,print or TV, in Europe, Asia and North America being accused of having "snatched a child out of a country" (the same accusers that on the other hand praise (someone like) Angelina Jolie's "philantropic " efforts :chuckle:

In the span of just 13 months she made $60m in huge name Fashion campaigns alone...for what?

Showing up for an afternoon work session 4 times in total? If this isn't a sign of someone's brilliance in that field then I don't know what it is.Don't forget that those kind of things in the business (and for how marketing and media approach functions in 2010, in a period when banks, newspapers and airlines abruptly close down and where people seem to be wanting to spend less and less for fashion without renouncing value at the same time) are the only things that Really count

More than a thousand rodents on your shoulders, or silly hats...or tea sipping in your lingerie in the middle of Mayfair

If you disagree we can talk about Hard Candy and Sticky&Sweet even Celebration (if you want) ....

Hardy Candy (85% of positive reviews) 15th best-selling album of 2008 (no major talk show promotion, not in the US nor Europe). Sticky & Sweet (100% of positive reviews, only some journalists scoffing, in May 2008, at the fact that she would indeed fill all the stadiums booked and she proved them wrong, again) Most successful solo tour ever and second all time highest grossing tour

That's just 10 months ago so I don't get the point you're trying to make in this thread

I understand that you have a different opinion on Hard Candy...if you said "I just don't like HC" I would understand more and respect that.... but please let's leave out the pretentiousness and not act like Madonna needs any "business" advice from any of us and certainly she doesn't care about anyone's thoughts regarding her artistic choices and directions nor should she

Just as you would expect from A Real Artist

If you are suggesting that I'm suggesting that making $$$ = quality then you are suggesting the

same thing by constantly pointing out ways HC didn't live up to COADF performance and "momentum".

:rotfl::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Many diehards made up there mind about HC before it was released. The ones that are still pouting that she worked with "black ghetto people that are beneath her" (sorry to put it like that but it doesn't take much reading between the lines with some comments posted by people here over the past couple years) are going to buy the next album and most likely love it anyways. I don't think she was as worried about her diehards with HC, nor should she be. She gave multiple orgasms to most of our ears when she released COADF....that album was for her "pink posse". What's wrong with her doing a sound *SHE* has never done before? That's what Madonna is all about.

word for word :dramatic:

Hits where?

How many over 40's artists are being played on US Radio which is much needed to make it a hit?

Where would have MA reached the top 20? The song is not even worthy of being a B-side. The song flopped in the UK her strongest market and people may cite the lack of promotion as a factor in that but it was a top 10 air play hit here. The whole HC era put off many people - look at the stats in the UK it sold a 1/4 of COADF.

I doubt the UK and the rest of Europe would have paid too much attention to BGO - its far too rent-a-rapper. It could have been a Hot 100 hit in the USA BECAUSE of Kanye.

We'll have to agree to disagree ;) I think 'Hard Candy' had alot of hit potential."4 Minutes" became Madonna's most successful hit single since "Vogue"!!."Beat Goes On" has all the ingredients to make Top 10 in America.Other songs like "Heartbeat","She's Not Me" and "Devil" would have found an audience,as well.If Warners had done their job,"Miles Away" could have easily become a Top 20 hit.Like I said before,Hard Candy is the most commercial,radio-friendly album that Madonna has done in years.The potential hits were there.The real story is....Warners were pissed at Madonna for leaving their company for LiveNation,which is the REAL reason why they didn't do alot of aggressive promotion.

I hope she works with Pharrell again, and I certainly think she's not done with him yet.

Pharrell is one of the best producers that Madonna has ever worked with.He really pushed her,challenging her to do things that she wouldn't normally do.Plus,I think he really "studied" her previous albums,to come up with tunes that are tailor-made for her.He gave her songs that recall her 80s heyday.

And as far as the commercial success or lack of of HC, I think both sides in these arguments exaggerate. It wasn't the huge flop that the HC haters say, but it wasn't quite the great success the HC lovers want it to be. 4 Minutes was a huge hit, but the sales of the album as a whole were somewhat disappointing, though not a total disaster. It certainly wasn't a big comeback or make her profile in the music business higher, but I don't think it did her that much damage commercially either. But I do think artistically it was a huge step backwards for her as far as being respected as a songwriter and an artist.

I think we all need to realize that it's not 1989 anymore.Madonna is not gonna sell 10 million+ copies of an album,no matter how it sounds or who produces it.She could go into the studio with Patrick Leonard and make 'Like A Prayer 2' and it would still sell less than 'Hard Candy'.Having said that,I think 'Hard Candy' sold decently,all things considered (illegal downloading,lack of promotion,etc).

While you are lazily waiting for the next "Madonna coming out of Cecconi with Stella" pic to pop out of the web to gratify you or keeping busy writing poor (and very very subjective accounts of Madonna's artistry or her lack of something or whatever, she has made $240m in the past 24 months alone and barely 40 months ago has been featured on every major international media outlet,print or TV, in Europe, Asia and North America being accused of having "snatched a child out of a country" (the same accusers that on the other hand praise (someone like) Angelina Jolie's "philantropic " efforts :chuckle:

In the span of just 13 months she made $60m in huge name Fashion campaigns alone...for what?

Showing up for an afternoon work session 4 times in total? If this isn't a sign of someone's brilliance in that field then I don't know what it is.Don't forget that those kind of things in the business (and for how marketing and media approach functions in 2010, in a period when banks, newspapers and airlines abruptly close down and where people seem to be wanting to spend less and less for fashion without renouncing value at the same time) are the only things that Really count

More than a thousand rodents on your shoulders, or silly hats...or tea sipping in your lingerie in the middle of Mayfair

If you disagree we can talk about Hard Candy and Sticky&Sweet even Celebration (if you want) ....

Hardy Candy (85% of positive reviews) 15th best-selling album of 2008 (no major talk show promotion, not in the US nor Europe). Sticky & Sweet (100% of positive reviews, only some journalists scoffing, in May 2008, at the fact that she would indeed fill all the stadiums booked and she proved them wrong, again) Most successful solo tour ever and second all time highest grossing tour

That's just 10 months ago so I don't get the point you're trying to make in this thread

I understand that you have a different opinion on Hard Candy...if you said "I just don't like HC" I would understand more and respect that.... but please let's leave out the pretentiousness and not act like Madonna needs any "business" advice from any of us and certainly she doesn't care about anyone's thoughts regarding her artistic choices and directions nor should she

Just as you would expect from A Real Artist

....and that's all there really is to say!

:clap:

Guest Sinisin

....not to mention for the first time in a DECADE nearly I heard Madonna on the radio again.

Were you in a coma when "Hung Up" was released?

Madonna really has to get over her ego and realise that she's OVER in the US and try and maintain a profile in countries where she's still popular. Godga :bow: has proved that Euro dance/pop can be huge in the US so COADF's lack of success there was down to Madonna, not the style of music.

COADF was released before Gaga became popular. At the time of its release, there wasn't a lot of Euro pop/dance on the radio. There is more dance on the radio now, not just Gaga, but there wasn't when COADF came out. So I do think its relative lack of radio airplay was down at least partially to its style of music.

It's funny how for many people think that selling a lot means that the album is good. And how many people think that Madonna is in top form and avoid flops like Give in to Me, Miles Away and Celebration.

My only wish is that Madonna is creative again and not boring. I don't care if he sells a lot or not, because among my fav Madonna albums are AL and Erotica. But if anybody had asked me then, in 1993, even in my tender 17 years old, what i thought about Erotica flop, i would have said "i love Erotica, but this album has changed how main public sees her and she will have to work harder next time to be on the same position as she was before the release".

And that's what i say about HC: Madonna was more sought after and acclaimed before HC than afterwards. And those that think that Madonna is a goddess without an image and that even if she records a turd her iconic image is intact are wrong. Music business is a cruel world, specially for women.

While you are lazily waiting for the next "Madonna coming out of Cecconi with Stella" pic to pop out of the web to gratify you or keeping busy writing poor (and very very subjective accounts of Madonna's artistry or her lack of something or whatever, she has made $240m in the past 24 months alone

:clap::lmao:

I almost missed this!!!! Is this XXL a real person or an alias?

It's funny how for many people think that selling a lot means that the album is good. And how many people think that Madonna is in top form and avoid flops like Give in to Me, Miles Away and Celebration.

My only wish is that Madonna is creative again and not boring. I don't care if he sells a lot or not, because among my fav Madonna albums are AL and Erotica. But if anybody had asked me then, in 1993, even in my tender 17 years old, what i thought about Erotica flop, i would have said "i love Erotica, but this album has changed how main public sees her and she will have to work harder next time to be on the same position as she was before the release".

And that's what i say about HC: Madonna was more sought after and acclaimed before HC than afterwards. And those that think that Madonna is a goddess without an image and that even if she records a turd her iconic image is intact are wrong. Music business is a cruel world, specially for women.

You are the only poster who lumps Hard Candy with what she experienced with Erotica and American Life. Madonna had to repair her career after both of those, she does/did not have to do the same following Hard Candy. She released a greatest hits package, had a tribute on Glee, has a clone that is very popular right now, and gets to start fresh outside of Warner. Sticky and Sweet, coming right off the release of Hard Candy, was one of Madonna's most successful endeavors at the age of 50 in a music business that you say is cruel for women. Madonna has 4 children, charities, interest in being a director, and isn't focused 100% on music- what more could she want than the success she had 2008/9? A glowing review from you? lol.

I have to agree with some previous comments. Hard Candy was a creative mistake and she followed that up with even worse creative mistake (the Celebration single). The latter was just a bonus track though so not a big deal, but the new album better be something more creative.

I disagree with some. Her image has been partly destroyed by HC. Offcourse not that her career is over or anything but it didn't make her look good really. Who cares about top.3 hit in the states really? Madonna is not that type of artist. Her albums are usually having critical acclaim and COADF was a prove that an album by her can make it pretty good without any radio support. The fact that 4 Minutes became a hit in the states didn't help HC at all really so let's stop pretend it did.

COADF was safe but good enough, HC is not a bad album but it was all too late and all a little too lame.

She's got alot to prove with the next album and I hope she really blows us all away with that one. Anything near Celebration or HC would be a major mistake. And hopefully she'll drop the dancey sound of previous albums aswell and make something new. But most important is that she just follows her own road and stays ahead this time around, like we all know she can, and that we doesn't get some sort of Guetta or Lady Gaga sound and it'll be just as with HC; just a little too late!

Edited by Zezwer

For Kurt, COADF didnt exist and HC was the blockbuster epic album of the DECADE that restored Madonna to the top of the POP STRATOSPHERE.

And I see you still read what YOU want to see and LOVE to over dramatize! :D

Some things never change huh? And I never even implied ANYTHING that you just said in your post in any of my posts. I can't believe your ass hasn't been completely banned from this place by now for being such a complete bitch to everybody. Congratulations on that! :)

Were you in a coma when "Hung Up" was released?

No just in the United States. Not sure what you were up to at that time but let me let you know that Hung Up was NO airplay smash in the States.

I have to agree with some previous comments. Hard Candy was a creative mistake and she followed that up with even worse creative mistake (the Celebration single). The latter was just a bonus track though so not a big deal, but the new album better be something more creative.

I disagree with some. Her image has been partly destroyed by HC. Offcourse not that her career is over or anything but it didn't make her look good really. Who cares about top.3 hit in the states really? Madonna is not that type of artist. Her albums are usually having critical acclaim and COADF was a prove that an album by her can make it pretty good without any radio support. The fact that 4 Minutes became a hit in the states didn't help HC at all really so let's stop pretend it did.

COADF was safe but good enough, HC is not a bad album but it was all too late and all a little too lame.

She's got alot to prove with the next album and I hope she really blows us all away with that one. Anything near Celebration or HC would be a major mistake. And hopefully she'll drop the dancey sound of previous albums aswell and make something new. But most important is that she just follows her own road and stays ahead this time around, like we all know she can, and that we doesn't get some sort of Guetta or Lady Gaga sound and it'll be just as with HC; just a little too late!

Well said. :thumbsup:

And I see you still read what YOU want to see and LOVE to over dramatize! :D

Some things never change huh? And I never even implied ANYTHING that you just said in your post in any of my posts. I can't believe your ass hasn't been completely banned from this place by now for being such a complete bitch to everybody. Congratulations on that! :)

Jesus Christ, it was a joke. Lighten up. Like, in general.

It's funny how for many people think that selling a lot means that the album is good.

case in point- the fame/fame monster. sold tons of cd's yet it's still a pile of half-baked bullshit.

Jesus Christ, it was a joke. Lighten up. Like, in general.

Calm down! You're a bitch but we love you! :inlove:

I HATE to say this but MNation wouldn't quite be the same without you. :)

You are the only poster who lumps Hard Candy with what she experienced with Erotica and American Life. Madonna had to repair her career after both of those, she does/did not have to do the same following Hard Candy. She released a greatest hits package, had a tribute on Glee, has a clone that is very popular right now, and gets to start fresh outside of Warner. Sticky and Sweet, coming right off the release of Hard Candy, was one of Madonna's most successful endeavors at the age of 50 in a music business that you say is cruel for women. Madonna has 4 children, charities, interest in being a director, and isn't focused 100% on music- what more could she want than the success she had 2008/9? A glowing review from you? lol.

:clap:

You're always so sensible. I think assessing Madonna's success in 2010 isn't the same as assessing her success in 1990 or even 2000 for that matter. It's not just about albums and singles and how they perform anymore....although that does help boost her profile obviously. Both Madonna and the music industry as a whole are in completely different places.

That's kinda contradictory. You personally feel like those songs suck but you are saying if they had been bigger hits Madonna's profile wouldn't have suffered. Wouldn't you STILL feel that her profile has suffered EITHER WAY since you don't like the music yourself? I thought that's what this whole discussion was about, how sales doesn't equal quality and help her "profile".

BTW....GI2M and Celebration were actually moderate hits on a worldwide level. I don't think the same can be said for MA as it was only big in Japan to my knowledge.