"Glee": The Power of Madonna

HolidayGuy

I just looked. It says it went to #10 in the US. I am almost positive it didnt really take off at radio that much either.

You are right, I actually love this song and was surprised that it didn't quite take off the way I thought it would. Ciara lead single + Justin = surely a 4M sized hit at minimum but I was wrong. I think 4M is Justin's biggest song as a featured artist.

You are right, I actually love this song and was surprised that it didn't quite take off the way I thought it would. Ciara lead single + Justin = surely a 4M sized hit at minimum but I was wrong. I think 4M is Justin's biggest song as a featured artist.

Well Black eyed peas's Where is the Love ft. Justin did really well although it just peaked @ # 8 in the US but elsewhere including the UK and Australia, It did make it to number 1.And it was nominated for song of the year @ the Grammy's.But i have to say that its more of a BEP song I'm not even sure if people actually knows that Justin was there. lol

The ciara song was a flop. It hit no10 on the hot100 just for one week. It didn't do well on pop radio. On the other hand, Where is the love was a no1 hit for many weeks on top40 radio! It was 2003 though, there were no sales to impact the hot100 and it was impossible for a white artist or a pop song to enter the top10 on the hot100 which was almost only airplay driven. That's why Where is the love peaked at no8. Today it would have hit no1.

It was a very bad era for the hot100. It was not representative at all of what was popular. It was right after the end of physical CD signles, but there were no digital downloads to replace them.

Look at this, a typical week in 2003-2004...

Week of October 11, 2003

http://www.billboard.com/charts/hot-100?tag=chscr1#/charts/hot-100?chartDate=2003-10-11

If you find me a white person in the top10 I'll give you 1 million dollars! Only Fergie. lol But 2 members of the group are black so it doesn't count.

Guest jamesshot

Rolling Stones and Elton John are DONE. Madonna is not done, nowhere near. It wasn't a risk doing a Madonna episode, especially since the audience Glee generates are mostly fags anyway.

Britney Spears may not be relevant to YOUR pop culture, but she is to many kids that grew up with her. Britney is not "hot right now", she's been around 11 years, and has had enough ENORMOUS success and well known songs to garner a full episode. I wouldn't be surprised if her episode pulled in more viewers than Madonnas, since she has a hold on the younger market more than M does.

I don;t care if a Brit episode is done or not, but seeing one come up eventually is hardly a surprise.

Doing Britney or Gaga songs is one thing, doing a whole show on them is another. It would be a mistake and highly stupid. It would completely ruin the uniqueness of doing shows on one artist. She is not the biggest thing in the last 11 years- Beyonce' has been far more successful. I could see them doing a Beyonce' eppy way before a Britney eppy as much as I can't stand Beyonce'.

The ciara song was a flop. It hit no10 on the hot100 just for one week. It didn't do well on pop radio. On the other hand, Where is the love was a no1 hit for many weeks on top40 radio! It was 2003 though, there were no sales to impact the hot100 and it was impossible for a white artist or a pop song to enter the top10 on the hot100 which was almost only airplay driven. That's why Where is the love peaked at no8. Today it would have hit no1.It was a very bad era for the hot100. It was not representative at all of what was popular. It was right after the end of physical CD signles, but there were no digital downloads to replace them.Look at this, a typical week in 2003-2004... Week of October 11, 2003http://www.billboard.com/charts/hot-100?tag=chscr1#/charts/hot-100?chartDate=2003-10-11If you find me a white person in the top10 I'll give you 1 million dollars! Only Fergie. lol But 2 members of the group are black so it doesn't count.

Yep agree 100% that's really a pity for the hot 100 that time. On another note there's actually only one Black guy in BEP Will , The other black looking guy Apl'd Ap is Asian, Filipino actually , the long haired guy is latino and of course there's fergie.

It helps to not have it all over your face and clothes :lol:

Then again, Britney Spears is such a vile person on the inside with her BLACK HEART, it's no surprise she looks a mess on the outside. Hideous awful human being Britney Spears, WATCH OUT FOR HER, she'll do bad things to you

1238e9a1ae242fb4a48141e626e7794d.jpg

:rotfl: ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhahahahahahaha. I love her so much.

At last check, Celebration is #28 on iTunes, so it's held pretty well since the airing. If physical outlets saw a decent gain, it should register a very sizable increase, for one week, anyhow.

BTW- it only appeared on the Top Digital Albums chart for 1 week, and that was its debut week. A year ago, the #30 digital album scanned 3,075 units, to give an idea of digital album sales.

Among Justin Timberlake "featured" tracks, "Give it to Me" hit No. 1 for 2 weeks on the Hot 100, and "Dead and Gone" peaked at No. 2 for 5 weeks.

At last check, Celebration is #28 on iTunes, so it's held pretty well since the airing. If physical outlets saw a decent gain, it should register a very sizable increase, for one week, anyhow.

BTW- it only appeared on the Top Digital Albums chart for 1 week, and that was its debut week. A year ago, the #30 digital album scanned 3,075 units, to give an idea of digital album sales.

Among Justin Timberlake "featured" tracks, "Give it to Me" hit No. 1 for 2 weeks on the Hot 100, and "Dead and Gone" peaked at No. 2 for 5 weeks.

I was confused by what you have written..y do u have to site last year's digital charts as an example, can't you give last week's, and y is justin mentioned?

The Top Digital Albums chart is rarely leaked; the last one I have is from the holidays period, which we can't go by now. The chart I have before that is from 4/25/09. The threshold may be less now, as album sales are down from a year ago (though digital album sales could be up, not sure).

A few posters were discussing Timberlake and what his biggest "featured" hit was, so I clarified. That should get ya up to speed.

Guest groovyguy

If the fan reports are true, then most physical outlets (USA) do not seem to stock well on the Celebration album. Hopefully, digital sales has a sizable gain.

Just a note- some people have said how some outlets have more copies of the single CD than the double CD. Of the 11 tracks (12 songs) featured in the "Glee" episode, eight are on the single CD. For what that's worth.

We also have no way of knowing how every outlet in the nation is stocked, so can't gauge too much from a handful of fan reports.

If the fan reports are true, then most physical outlets (USA) do not seem to stock well on the Celebration album. Hopefully, digital sales has a sizable gain.

That's what I'm thinking as well. It would have probably been wise to have shipped out extra copies to retailers to keep shelves stocked. If I was Madonna or whomever would profit from the sales, I'd demand this to be done.

^Yes. Didn't see as much impact there as on iTunes (now ranked #214).

That worries me. One would think if the retailers are not stocking it then people who want the actual CD would likely go through Amazon - however it isn't really rocketing up that chart either. The bulk may come from digital and that might not be a whole lot. I suspect the LP will re-enter the Top 200 but I am starting to think it won't be a very high position.

it's only logical to say that most people who are buying Celebration are buying it on itunes. And most people that are buying anything Glee related are buying the Glee Madonna album than the Celebration CD and they are doing it via itunes. I doubt people went out to buy Celebration in the stores.

Madonna’s albums discounted to take advantage of Glee tie-in

April 25, 2010

In an apparent attempt to take advantage of the exposure for Madonna’s back catalog due to the singer’s tie-in with this past week’s episode of the Glee television show and the popularity of the soundtrack which features cover versions of her songs, most of Madonna’s albums have been temporarily reduced to $7.99 in iTunes Store. This includes the pop star’s classic albums such as Like A Prayer and Like A Virgin, along with more modern releases such as Ray Of Light and American Life. However, 2008 release Hard Candy is still selling for $9.99.

http://www.beatweek.com/news/4979-madonnas-albums-discounted-to-take-advantage-of-glee-tie-in/

Amazon still had Immaculate Collection for sale (they deleted it yesterday), and it was (still is!) raking higher than Celebration, so that definetly cut into sales there. All her albums climbed in sales at Amazon after Glee. I agree though that most Glee fans probably just go to itunes, but it's good that they seemed interested in the whole Celebration album rather than just Madonna's individual songs.

Amazon.com isn't always the best barometer for sales, though, as only a small portion of overall sales come from there. Plus, if you want something instant, Amazon.com isn't the place to get it. Not saying that people stampeded over each other to go out and get Celebration, but it probably got some more sales post-"Glee" in the retail realm than it did the prior week.

From HITS, the #1 on their Trakin Care of Business feature from Friday:

April 23, 2010

1. Glee, “The Power of Madonna” (Fox): Talk about your product placement. Glee's celebrated tribute to the music of the iconic diva was either the most clever, pop culture-referenced TV show ever or a complete shill for the well-named Material Girl. Featuring eight musical interludes based on several of her greatest hits, the clever narrative seamlessly interwove the pop star's well-worn themes of female liberation, sexual empowerment and control over your body into its fabric, furthering the story as it provided insight into the various characters. Who knew Jane Lynch's stalwart Cheerios squad leader Sue Sylvester was a closet fan, calling her Madgesty "the most powerful woman to ever walk the face of the earth," adding she's even mightier than her other idols, Angelina Jolie and Catherine the Great. "It's been the biggest dream of my career to pay homage to the woman most responsible for my take-no-prisoners demeanor and my subconscious tendency to always be desperately looking for someone named Susan," she explained, and with that, Glee was off to the races. When Matthew Morrison's earnest Mr. Schuester suggested that the pop icon's music might be a good subject for the show choir to tackle, Mark Salling's mohawked football star Noah "Puck" Puckerman resisted, calling her a "Hall of Fame MILF," then quipping with double-meaning, "as a Jew, she makes me feel uncomfortable." Among the various set pieces, the highlight was definitely the shot-for-shot, black-and-white remake of "Vogue," with Sylvester herself preening as Madonna, thanks to Chris Colfer's Kurt and Amber Riley's Mercedes, who noticed how hurt she was when Schue wondered how "that Florence Henderson look is working out for you,” after suffering through one too many of her hair jokes. The other highlight was the three-way narrative accompanied by "Like a Virgin," with alternating shots of Lea Michele's Rachel and her new boyfriend, Jonathan Groff's Jesse St. James, Schue and Jayma Mays' skittish Emma, and Cory Monteith's Finn and Naya Rivera's scheming Cheerio Santana, all in various stages of seduction, which ended without consummation, though, in the case of Finn and Santana, we're not sure how it turned out. For a show as full of cheeky sexual innuendo as Glee, it was an impressively moral conclusion, seemingly in opposition to its subject's call for sexual liberation, but just as important a message for its young audience. The finale, "Like a Prayer," started with a solo by Rachel, before successive turns in the spotlight for Finn, Jesse, an angelic Kurt and a rousing Mercedes, who belted out her own soaring, "it ain't over until the fat lady sings" vocal as the crew was joined by full gospel choir, prancing in front of a stained glass window, bringing the show’s most accomplished hour yet to a cathartic close that has already led to plans for a sequel.

Anybody go and check Celebration @ Itunes UK :dramatic::blink::clap::bow:

According to Daboi at UKmix is @ #9 now.

#6 NOOOOOOW