"Glee": The Power of Madonna

HolidayGuy

Guest Coked Up Baby Boy

A Britney episode can only work if they do something crazy- like she is stalking one of the students, or gets a job as the lunch lady. There's really nothing positive to say about her as a person.

I didn't realize you knew her personally enough to make judgements on her as a person???? WOW, when did you hang out with her? you never TOLD ME :wow::wow::wow:

Exactly. Merits on talent aside, as a pop star, she is the biggest thing from the last 10 years and has a massive following. We know this, so why dismiss an episode about her when we all know about her following????

That hasn't been my experience with it. Madonna may not be on the PULSE of the youth anymore, but i'd say younger kids today are more prone to knowing her back catalogue than someone like Elton or The Stones. Most kids and teens i've come into contact with are well aware of her "classic" songs. Do you think only people over 30 were buying '4 MInutes' when it hit #1? of course not. Sure Justin was tagged onto that track, but still, Madonna is very AROUND enough for teens to at least be aware enough to NOT MIND seeing her songs pop up on a Glee episode. Not to mention the huge gay following the show has, and with parents watching it knowing Madonna's older work.

A perfect reason for a tv show if you ask me :lol:

Like i said, it's a teen musical, this isn't the weekly 'World Music Acclaim Documentary' setting out to show respect to the greats of the past to please their fans. They showcase MUSIC and they would love to bring in the RATINGS, i think a Britney episode could do that. If you guys are looking for deeper programs, stick to VH1 Artist biographies or something.

You're from Australia, right? I believe Madonna is more popular with the youth out there. Out here she is not popular at all with the younger crowd. I'm telling you, most of the these people don't even care about what happened last week let alone 15 years ago. It's not just Madonna, it's every artists that hasn't been on the charts in the last 5 seconds, it's sickening but true. My main point was that Glee should keep it's integrity by not giving people the same thing everyone else is giving them, but if they're just interested in rating then hey go ahead an give Britney and Gaga an episode. While they're at it they can start putting together their Ke$ha, Justin Bieber, and Lil Wayne episodes.

I didn't realize you knew her personally enough to make judgements on her as a person???? WOW, when did you hang out with her? you never TOLD ME :wow::wow::wow:

yeah that happens every time I post about Britney, it becomes about me.

I just don't think there is enough substance to devote an entire episode to Britney or Gaga. They haven't had a gazillion image makeovers over the years, there songs aren't as legendary at this point. Britney has had many worldwide hit songs, but only one truly iconic song IMO and that is her first. That song and image connected to that song are the only things about Britney that could rival a Madonna pop culture moment/image ala the cone bra, LAV in wedding dress etc.

I'm not doubting Britney's star power or Gaga's current popularity but it just seems the writers would have a hard time making a show based around those two that was effective as the Madonna episode. They had a lot to work with when it comes to Madonna and they STILL could've touched on more things.

Well, didn't the Madonna episode focus mostly on her legacy and what she represented culturally? I don't think even the most hardcore Britney fan could bring themselves to claim that there's anything empowering about her impact on culture.

Guest Coked Up Baby Boy

You're from Australia, right? I believe Madonna is more popular with the youth out there.

:lol: are they??? how random. But that's good :horn:

I'm telling you, most of the these people don't even care about what happened last week let alone 15 years ago. It's not just Madonna, it's every artists that hasn't been on the charts in the last 5 seconds, it's sickening but true.

You mentioned before about "kids of today not knowing anything about music of the past", as opposed to what though?....kids in the 90's who were researching past icons and their impact to broaden their musical knowledge :lol: kids have never been that way, they're always fickle. They focus on what's in front of them now because it's what THEY relate to. They can't relate to some singer in the 60's, it's an era that has nothing to do with them, so they don't connect with it. Not ALL younger people, obviously, some do have a broader ability to accept older music.

This whole "kids of today" thing thoough just doesn't make sense to me. It's kids everywhere, from all eras who've had that problem. Madonna fans just don't like the fact that Madonna to a lot of younger kids is seen as an "artist of the past", because in Madonna fans hearts, she's still as big as she ever was, so they get offended and hurt. I understand that, i'm a fan myself, but what's big and relevant now isn't JUST Madonna anymore. Even if these new artist haven't been around for 25 years, they're still what's happening in the world of pop music in a BIG way. Glee is connected to a lot of pop culture atm, the show itself is a part of it now, it's only natural it connects to what else is on the radar.

My main point was that Glee should keep it's integrity by not giving people the same thing everyone else is giving them, but if they're just interested in rating then hey go ahead an give Britney and Gaga an episode. While they're at it they can start putting together their Ke$ha, Justin Bieber, and Lil Wayne episodes.

Well, it's not a very fair comparisons is it?

As an artist, yeah, Britney sucks balls, but i see her involvement being more about cultural impact for teens of the last decade more than being part of a long line of "Legends" the show is giving exposure to. Her music is relevant.

Gaga, yeah, been around 2 minutes, but her success is unbelievably phenomenal at this point in her very short career, and unlike Britney, she actually has respect from the industry as an actual artist being so involved with her own work and having genuine ABILITY as a musician, writer, and singer.

I really wouldn't compare Gaga's "ability as an artist" or Britney pop music success to people like Kesha or Lil' Wayne. Gaga and Brit's success [i mean sales/charts/tours ect] alone wipe the floor with pretty much all of the current crop of acts.

If we ignore the "legends of the past" tag for a moment, who would you think should get dedications in the series???? from this newer crop, Gaga and Brit come to mind right away for me.

I DO understand what you're saying though, and i agree, if the show focuses on dedicating episodes to "greats", then yes, Madonna is in her own league there which doesn't compare to who's out atm. But the show has never really claimed to be doing that, it's always seemed very "of the moment" to me, with something like this Madonna episode being a "special event".

Guest Coked Up Baby Boy

Well, didn't the Madonna episode focus mostly on her legacy and what she represented culturally? I don't think even the most hardcore Britney fan could bring themselves to claim that there's anything empowering about her impact on culture.

Of course not. Britney's cultural impact has been fluffy, big, but fluffy.

I don't see what some random claim about how awful of a person she is has to do with a show dedicated to her MUSIC :dazed:

I mean, i know, her child like giggling and clueless blinking at cameras while she talks politely to people is SO HORRID OF HER, it's a disgusting way to be as a human, but really, the show would be about her songs, not her vile manners.

Britney is a crazy bitch but she still sells,i wouldnt be surprised if the show makes an episode about her to grab money.

:lmao:

Guest Coked Up Baby Boy

I guess with Britney Starbucks and Cheetos could potentially get a big boost in sales. But Madonna even ATE CHEETOS better and sexier than Brit:

9cyPFQbgCjtd6zr1Rjtno0DWo1_500.jpg

:lol:

It helps to not have it all over your face and clothes :lol:

Then again, Britney Spears is such a vile person on the inside with her BLACK HEART, it's no surprise she looks a mess on the outside. Hideous awful human being Britney Spears, WATCH OUT FOR HER, she'll do bad things to you

1238e9a1ae242fb4a48141e626e7794d.jpg

A Britney episode can only work if they do something crazy- like she is stalking one of the students, or gets a job as the lunch lady. There's really nothing positive to say about her as a person.

:rotfl:

God, the pompousness just oozes out of every word you type.

Of course not. Britney's cultural impact has been fluffy, big, but fluffy.

I don't see what some random claim about how awful of a person she is has to do with a show dedicated to her MUSIC :dazed:

I mean, i know, her child like giggling and clueless blinking at cameras while she talks politely to people is SO HORRID OF HER, it's a disgusting way to be as a human, but really, the show would be about her songs, not her vile manners.

too self absorbed to care for her own children, or have any control over herself, is more along the lines of what I was thinking. She cries for her kids in those sweet interviews then goes on tour, lol

:lol: are they??? how random. But that's good :horn:

You mentioned before about "kids of today not knowing anything about music of the past", as opposed to what though?....kids in the 90's who were researching past icons and their impact to broaden their musical knowledge :lol: kids have never been that way, they're always fickle. They focus on what's in front of them know because it's what THEY relate to. They can't relate to some singer in the 60's, it's an era that has nothing to do with them, so they don't connect with it. Not ALL younger people, obviously, some do have a broader ability to accept older music.

This whole "kids of today" thing thoough just doesn't make sense to me. It's kids everywhere, from all eras who've had that problem. Madonna fans just don't like the fact that Madonna to a lot of younger kids is seen as an "artist of the past", because in Madonna fans hearts, she's still as big as she ever was, so they get offended and hurt. I understand that, i'm a fan myself, but what's big and relevant now isn't JUST Madonna anymore. Even if these new artist haven't been around for 25 years, they're still what's happening in the world of pop music in a BIG way. Glee is connected to a lot of pop culture atm, the show itself is a part of it now, it's only natural it connects to what else is on the radar.

Well, it's not a very fair comparisons is it?

As an artist, yeah, Britney sucks balls, but i see her involvement being more about cultural impact for teens of the last decade more than being part of a long line of "Legends" the show is giving exposure to. Her music is relevant.

Gaga, yeah, been around 2 minutes, but her success is unbelievably phenomenal at this point in her very short career, and unlike Britney, she actually has respect from the industry as an actual artist being so involved with her one work and having genuine ABILITY as a musician, writer, and singer.

I really wouldn't compare Gaga's "ability as an artist" or Britney pop music success to people like Kesha or Lil' Wayne. Gaga and Brit's success [i mean sales/charts/tours ect] alone wipe the floor with pretty much all of the current crop of acts.

If we ignore the "legends of the past" tag for a moment, who would you think should get dedications in the series???? from this newer crop, Gaga and Brit come to mind right away for me.

I DO understand what you're saying though, and i agree, if the show focuses on dedicating episodes to "greats", then yes, Madonna is in her own league there which doesn't compare to who's out atm. But the show has never really claimed to be doing that, it's always seemed very "of the moment" to me, with something like this Madonna episode being a "special event".

Yes, kids have always been about what's current but I believe it's getting worse due to the internet. Take the 80's for example, not only did Cher, Tina Turner, and David Bowie have hits in the 80's but they were huge 80's icons. That could never happen today because this generation has no respect. Even in the 90's MJ, Janet, TLC and others took years between albums yet were able to come back as successful as ever. That is impossible today because attention spans are so short, ask Christina and Avril. Everything today is about what happening right at this very second. It's what's trending on Twitter, what is the latest random video that was just uploaded on Youtub that can get millions on hits. The internet has been positive been it's also been negative in a lot of ways.

The reason I compared Brit and Gaga to Ke$ha and others is because you said that they should get their own episode due to popularity. If that's what we're going by why can't Ke$ha have an episode too?

Guest Coked Up Baby Boy

too self absorbed to care for her own children, or have any control over herself, is more along the lines of what I was thinking. She cries for her kids in those sweet interviews then goes on tour, lol

YUCK.

Thanks for the tabloid update from 2 years ago, but unlike you, i live in the REAL WORLD, where i don't know fuck all about her or what she's like as person.

Guest Coked Up Baby Boy

The reason I compared Brit and Gaga to Ke$ha and others is because you said that they should get their own episode due to popularity. If that's what we're going by why can't Ke$ha have an episode too?

I meant popularity with a bit of back bone to it. Britney has been around long enough for people to stop giving her the "15 minute" tag, she's here, she's staying, it's been years, it's done.

Gaga is popular yes, but as i mentioned before, her success is reaching astronomical proportions, and something she is doing that no one other than Beyonce is doing atm, is influencing pop culture and music. That's not Kesha :lol:

YUCK.

Thanks for the tabloid update from 2 years ago, but unlike you, i live in the REAL WORLD, where i don't know fuck all about her or what she's like as person.

Glee was able to discuss Madonna for an hour. All things we already knew about Madonna without actually knowing her. I'm saying there's none of those things to say about Britney the artist the person etc.. If you DISAGREE, please tell us what you think there is to say about her. :)

I don't think Britney is an evil human being. she just have mental problems and it's not cool to judge her for it. as for the Britney Glee episode , the fans will be happy I guess :dazed:

It helps to not have it all over your face and clothes :lol:

Then again, Britney Spears is such a vile person on the inside with her BLACK HEART, it's no surprise she looks a mess on the outside. Hideous awful human being Britney Spears, WATCH OUT FOR HER, she'll do bad things to you

1238e9a1ae242fb4a48141e626e7794d.jpg

:lol:

OMG!

I've grown to appreciate Britney for what she is. At this point she's as omnipresent to the 18+ part of my life as Madonna is to my childhood years. I was watching Britney interviews on youtube recently and she really is a sweetheart. This isn't a diss at all, just an honest reaction but....I almost feel bad for her. She just seems so damn vulnerable but the girl has stuck around somehow so maybe that's a part of the act...lol.

Guest Coked Up Baby Boy

Glee was able to discuss Madonna for an hour. All things we already knew about Madonna without actually knowing her. I'm saying there's none of those things to say about Britney the artist the person etc.. If you DISAGREE, please tell us what you think there is to say about her. :)

GROCE.

You don't know about Madonna without actually knowing her, you THINK you do because you idolize her and you feel connected to her and you think she gives a fuck about you. You know what you are TOLD by other sources and by what Madonna says to a camera every so often [which STILL doesn't mean it's true]. No one here knows her, no one here can make ANY sort of OFFICIAL judgement on her as a PERSON IN REAL LIFE. So sit the fuck down, because you sound fucking loony.

I never said Britney's episode was going to feature inspiring moments about who she is as a person or artist, you're just trying to find something to bitch about [again]. It's an episode that would cover her songs, how they choose to do that isn't something i give a shit about, i don't watch the show enough to care.

Labelling her an awful human being based on your OWN assumptions is fucking stupid.

Yes, kids have always been about what's current but I believe it's getting worse due to the internet. Take the 80's for example, not only did Cher, Tina Turner, and David Bowie have hits in the 80's but they were huge 80's icons. That could never happen today because this generation has no respect. Even in the 90's MJ, Janet, TLC and others took years between albums yet were able to come back as successful as ever. That is impossible today because attention spans are so short, ask Christina and Avril. Everything today is about what happening right at this very second. It's what's trending on Twitter, what is the latest random video that was just uploaded on Youtub that can get millions on hits. The internet has been positive been it's also been negative in a lot of ways.

I do agree with you on this. And again alot of it also has to do with the fact that outlets for music pretty much only focus on the now. Radio, MTV, how many teens and early 20 somethings use youtube to look up old music videos? Not many probably. I was born in 82. Why is it that even though I was young as hell in the 80s focused on things for the most part like Ghosbusters and Ninja Turtles do I still manage to know just about every hit from the 80s along with being able to visualize the video that goes along with it? Because by the time I was old enough to fully be able to tune into MTV and care about it they would take the time to run tons of old videos on their countdowns and talk about them. They focused on things from the past. Most outlets for music dont do this anymore. You are right. It is all about whats going on right now and thats it. And again, its gotten so bad that I am willing to bet the teens right now have no clue of what Britney was even up to in her early career.

While CUBB is right to an extent that youth has always focused on the music that appeals to them the most, I agree with Paper Plane and Skin69. I can remember hearing Gloria Estefan and Elton John and the Miami Mix of "Don't Cry for Me, Argentina" on the pop music station in Pittsburgh (not talking about adult contemporary radio here) in the mid-90s. Vanessa Williams and Elton John singing songs from Disney movies got played on the radio. That just doesn't seem to happen anymore -- because of the age of the singer disconnecting with the audience. After "American Life" I just didn't hear Madonna on the radio anymore. (Even "Die Another Day" did pretty well at radio!) As much as I try to deny it to myself, it seems like "4 Minutes" only got played on the radio because of JT. (I don't think the song was a hit ONLY because of him -- I think the purchasing of "4 Minutes" made it successful, too. But in terms of radio, if it had been solo Madonna -- like, say, "Give It 2 Me" for example -- it wouldn't have done as well on U.S. radio.)

I guess I'm just starting to feel old -- when I was a kid, the 'oldies' station in town played "music from the 50s, 60s, and 70s" (and I grew up hearing and liking that music, too). Now, when I hear the 'oldies' station, they are playing music from the 80s. :nocomment:

I guess I'm just starting to feel old -- when I was a kid, the 'oldies' station in town played "music from the 50s, 60s, and 70s

And thats anothet thing I mentioned. How come when I hear music from way back in the 50s I manage to know just about every damn song? I can turn on the 50s station right now and I am willing to bet I will know the hit they are playing. I might not be able to name the exact title and artist, but I could hum a few lines. :lol:

You turn on a song from the 80s and even 90s for this generation and I am willing to bet you will get a blank stare and I look like, WTF is this? :lol:

While CUBB is right to an extent that youth has always focused on the music that appeals to them the most, I agree with Paper Plane and Skin69. I can remember hearing Gloria Estefan and Elton John and the Miami Mix of "Don't Cry for Me, Argentina" on the pop music station in Pittsburgh (not talking about adult contemporary radio here) in the mid-90s. Vanessa Williams and Elton John singing songs from Disney movies got played on the radio. That just doesn't seem to happen anymore -- because of the age of the singer disconnecting with the audience. After "American Life" I just didn't hear Madonna on the radio anymore. (Even "Die Another Day" did pretty well at radio!) As much as I try to deny it to myself, it seems like "4 Minutes" only got played on the radio because of JT. (I don't think the song was a hit ONLY because of him -- I think the purchasing of "4 Minutes" made it successful, too. But in terms of radio, if it had been solo Madonna -- like, say, "Give It 2 Me" for example -- it wouldn't have done as well on U.S. radio.)

I guess I'm just starting to feel old -- when I was a kid, the 'oldies' station in town played "music from the 50s, 60s, and 70s" (and I grew up hearing and liking that music, too). Now, when I hear the 'oldies' station, they are playing music from the 80s. :nocomment:

I know how you feel peter, it is quite depressing hearing the "oldies" station playing songs that I grew up with. When did *I* become the age of an oldie?? lol But, I do feel that if GI2M were released as the lead single from HC it would've at least done a Hung Up type performance in the states. Madonna's name is still more viable than we realize sometimes. It's worth noting that 4M is not only one of Madonna's most successful singles, but one of JT's most successful. Look at his singles history, it's not a guaranteed thing that his name attached to a song = hit. It's a popular theory that without him it would've been a massive flop, but I truly think Madonna's name had as much to do with the song being a hit as JT's name attached.

I do agree with you on this. And again alot of it also has to do with the fact that outlets for music pretty much only focus on the now. Radio, MTV, how many teens and early 20 somethings use youtube to look up old music videos? Not many probably. I was born in 82. Why is it that even though I was young as hell in the 80s focused on things for the most part like Ghosbusters and Ninja Turtles do I still manage to know just about every hit from the 80s along with being able to visualize the video that goes along with it? Because by the time I was old enough to fully be able to tune into MTV and care about it they would take the time to run tons of old videos on their countdowns and talk about them. They focused on things from the past. Most outlets for music dont do this anymore. You are right. It is all about whats going on right now and thats it. And again, its gotten so bad that I am willing to bet the teens right now have no clue of what Britney was even up to in her early career.

Most 15 year olds think of her as the bald crazy chick who sang Womanizer. It's sucks because they have a tainted view of Britney.

Oh, I know... Thanks for the (much-needed) reminder! In past discussions, I'm always fighting tooth and nail to give Madonna just as much recognition as Justin for the success of "4 Minutes." (I'm always throwing out examples -- with respect to Timbaland's production of "4 Minutes" -- and how that didn't necessarily turn into the kind of success "4 Minutes" had for other artists like Bjork and Duran Duran, etc.) Guess this just caught me at a more negative moment. I should really just be basking in the positive after-glow surrounding the Madonna episode of Glee.

At the same time though guys, could we be giving teens these days less credit than they deserve? I mean Pink Floyd, Hendrix, Marley etc still sell well in catalog sales (in the states at least.....amongst many other veteran acts). I find it hard to believe that all the older people who have bought the album (and maybe tape, cd, mp3 over the years) are keeping albums/artists like this alive. It must be newer generations of fans discovering these artists that keep them going all this time. I think Madonna being a "pop" artist makes her seen as more "fluffy" and less important and less like a real artist. This sounds loony but I truly feel like many don't "get" Madonna and just like in her "heyday" see her as all flash and no substance. The fact that she's never really went away actually doesn't help the matter. If Madonna had just stopped with Vogue I think she would be a virtual Goddess amongst most at this point. Almost like a Janis Joplin but for a pop musician from the MTV generation.