Mariah vs. Madonna

Guest dicktracy

Guest Danny86

And yet there's so many threads about what should be included and what should not. :confused:

:lol: Well a few of us are certainly interested, I'm sure the people who post in that GH thread the most, including myself, will pick this up, no matter which songs are left out. But there are many fans who don't care at all.

Is there ANY left? I foresee some fans will give the following excuses for not buying the GH...

- Too expensive

- I'd already had all the song, I can get the new song from MNation for free

- All edit version, what's the point?

- Some of my fav songs were not included, I'm boycotting this GH

- The cover sucks therefore I'm not buying

- I'm sure WB will release a 100 disc boxset which includes all her songs, concerts, B-sides, unreleased songs, advertisements, documentaries, remixes in next year according to some fansite, therefore I'll skip this.

- I dislike shit song Celebrate and/or Revolver, the demo sucks, therefore I'm boycotting this GH.

The list goes on and on and on and on...

in a nut shell.

:lmao:

I personally would buy it off itunes. You see, Immaculate Collection, Hard Candy, and S&S Studio versions are the only albums I have on my ipod. I could easily have all her albums but I hate the repetition when I put my music in shuffle ( i know sounds too anal). But since this would be remastered and cover her hits, it's all I need.

But Celine doesn't have nearly the level of smashes Madonna. Let's not even talk about cultural relevance since Celine isn't anywhere near Madonna's league. When you compare Madonna and Celine's catalogue Madonna blows her out of the water. It ain't even close.

When you compare cultural relevance, no doubt Madonna takes the lead. But I wouldn't exactly count her out regarding the level of her smashes. Celene managed 11 NUMBER ONE singles in the U.S. alone. Madonna has 12. Another 5 or 6 of Celine's songs hit the top 5. When she made the transition to English albums, she immediately got the attention of the world. Of course, she had the help of a couple DISNEY songs such as "Beauty and the Beast". But during much of the 90's and the year 2000, she dominated the charts. In fact, her albums sales and charting rivals Madonna's success spanning three decades to Celine doing it in one decade. In fact, looking at her charts, she's had more #1 albums ACROSS the globe than Madonna has. The sales of her albums appear to either be about the same or slightly more than Madonna's. But of course, she's been around selling #1 albums longer than Madonna. Most of her French albums throughout the 80's went to #1 in her home country. And the sales from that one country is quite remarkable even though they may not reached a million. But when you do the math, her sales and #1's actually rival Madonna's. And Celine is a world-wide star just as much as Madonna. Interestingly, it was her English albums by the start of the 90's that catapulted her as a World-Wide star.

Yeah and Celine today is not as relevant as she was in the 90s. And dont forget that Madonna paved that way for Celine and a bunch of others.

Oh, I definitely agree with you both. Celine is hardly the same force she was in the 90's, but then again Madonna certainly hasn't had the same punch as she had since the 80's and 90's. Interestingly enough, people equally want to see Madonna and Celine live in concert. Though, I am not sure if Celine would be able to pull off a successful world tour as Madonna has.

I actually consider Celine more of a modern day Streisand (musically). Both have the pipes and both have a big pull with Adult contemporary. And that is why maybe some would think about "cringing" at hearing her. And while I have enjoyed a number of her 90's albums, I do cringe hearing a number of her songs. In fact, there was a period in the 90's, that everytime she performed that damn Titantic song, she was beating her chest. I've seen her do it for a few others songs too. But I guess that's besides the point... she still has a huge following just like Madonna. I don't believe Celine will be one of those artists that will whither away. I think she will keep putting out albums and have a pretty decent following.

Though, I am not sure if Celine would be able to pull off a successful world tour as Madonna has.

Actually, if I'm not mistaking, Celine's tour was the second most successful tour for a solo artist (after Madonna). Which IMO is not bad at all.

^While I do think there will be enough hardcore fans who buy this release (collection purposes, preferring a physical product), I don't see the issue with any of those "excuses" either, when it's clear the GH is not aimed the hardcore fans (even though a certain someone who's supposedly considered reliable kept saying that) and I think most of the people here don't even play CDs anymore.

I haven't played a CD in over a year. Since I lost my car in an accident, actually where "Discipline" was lost permanently. :lol:

Actually, if I'm not mistaking, Celine's tour was the second most successful tour for a solo artist (after Madonna). Which IMO is not bad at all.

Well, there you go... I stand corrected. I guess what I was getting at is I don't think Celine could have pulled off multiple top selling tours world-wide like Madonna, but who knows? As I mentioned, she is quite as popular as Madonna world-wide.

Celine's popularity coz of the Titanic. If only she never recorded that song.

Actually, she had gained a lot of popularity a number of years before with her hit single across the globe... "The Power of Love". She followed that up with a huge hit album "Falling Into You" which was a huge. "Because You Loved Me" was tied to a huge soundtrack and then she did that epic song and video for "It's All Coming Back to Me Now". All in all, she is probably most successful for her soundtrack songs than any other artist aside to maybe Elton John who made a string of hits from The Lion King.

Anybody who buys that has GOT to go.

'BABS' is a boring whore. What kind of art is that? It means nothing. Pathetic. I hate things that are so 'fluffy' and appeal to only super gay, gay men and middle aged divorced housewives. Music for simply commercial sake. SUPER UGH.

Thank god Madonna is not commercial at all...

Sorry but, you're an idiot darling.

When you compare cultural relevance, no doubt Madonna takes the lead. But I wouldn't exactly count her out regarding the level of her smashes. Celene managed 11 NUMBER ONE singles in the U.S. alone. Madonna has 12. Another 5 or 6 of Celine's songs hit the top 5. When she made the transition to English albums, she immediately got the attention of the world. Of course, she had the help of a couple DISNEY songs such as "Beauty and the Beast". But during much of the 90's and the year 2000, she dominated the charts. In fact, her albums sales and charting rivals Madonna's success spanning three decades to Celine doing it in one decade. In fact, looking at her charts, she's had more #1 albums ACROSS the globe than Madonna has. The sales of her albums appear to either be about the same or slightly more than Madonna's. But of course, she's been around selling #1 albums longer than Madonna. Most of her French albums throughout the 80's went to #1 in her home country. And the sales from that one country is quite remarkable even though they may not reached a million. But when you do the math, her sales and #1's actually rival Madonna's. And Celine is a world-wide star just as much as Madonna. Interestingly, it was her English albums by the start of the 90's that catapulted her as a World-Wide star.

On what the Hot a/c chart? she's only had 4 #1 singles on the Billboard Hot 100.

how did madonna pave the way for celine? lol

celine is more of a whitney ......

Yeah and Celine today is not as relevant as she was in the 90s. And dont forget that Madonna paved that way for Celine and a bunch of others.

depends how much work you put in it. i dont see why a madonna career spannig greatest hits cant go to no1 and even go multi platinum in the usa.....high hopes i know but this is going to be an interesting complilation - it can have broad appeal.

madonna has 1 thing that mariah does nt on this album - she has a 25 year legacy rolled into one....

the biggest question is she and wb gonna promote it?

It'll be hard for a GH to compete with a studio album in these days... especially since Mariah has radio and others on her side while Madonna basically has got nothing.. in the US that is

in the rest of the world no one cares of Mariah... so Celebration will probably peak higher in most other markets

christina released a gh after 3 albums - she should have waited to after the 4th/5th as per tradition. she hardlyhas an extensive back catalogue eve though she was around for 9 years

With the whole explosion of downloading, I'm interested to see how this does. Celine and Christina's GH albums were major underperformers

dont forget that in addition to the 2 disc set, Madonna is also releasing a single disc of Celebration. if hardcore fans buy 100k of the 2 disc and casual fans buy 100k of the single disc that adds up to 300k in sales.of course we won't know until all 1st week sales are tallied but 300k doesn't sound out of the question.

I don't think Madonna has 100,000 hardcore fans in America. She probably has about 20,000 of them - if that - and I base that on the fact that Remixed & Revisited sold 21,891 copies in its first week.

I hate to say it, but I'll be happy if Madonna does 120k and ends up Top 5.

Madonna will not hit #1 in the U.S. - plain and simple. Id be thrilled if she debuted in a smiliar way GHV2 did at this point lol! Keep in mind, when that album was released, Music was just out - a smash album - yet GHV2 barely debuted in the top 10 (#7) and sold something like 120-150k I believe. So for a woman who now 51, has NO airplay whatsoever (compared to Music), plus the downloading factor, theres very little she has on her side except hardcore and casual fans (mainly people 30 and older) buying this. Again, in my mind Im hoping for some kind of respectable top 10 or top 5 debut .

Anybody who buys that has GOT to go.

'BABS' is a boring whore. What kind of art is that? It means nothing. Pathetic. I hate things that are so 'fluffy' and appeal to only super gay, gay men and middle aged divorced housewives. Music for simply commercial sake. SUPER UGH.

:manson: THIS coming from one of my fellow MADONNA fans?

Girl you NEED to get out more.

^ Hopefully the new songs will give it an extra edge this time around. With GHV2, she may have been coming off a successful album (MUSIC), but there really was no significant reason to purchase the disc if you had all the other albums. (This admission comes from someone who owns both the regular and special editions of GHV2 -- and I love the packaging with all the photos. But if I'm honest, it really wasn't necessary for the big fans -- more for just casual fans or general music-lovers.)

christina released a gh after 3 albums - she should have waited to after the 4th/5th as per tradition. she hardlyhas an extensive back catalogue eve though she was around for 9 years

Wasn't Christina's only available at Target or something? I don't even know what the packaging looks like when I try to think about it. (I did hear the new single though -- last fall, I think -- and I think it was on iTunes.)

People really need to brace themselves for the reality that this GH is not gonna debut at #1. There is no buzz for this release outside of hardcore fans, and flop single or not, Mariah will probably take the top spot.