Mariah vs. Madonna

Guest dicktracy

Blegh. Europe, thankfully, once again doesn't give a shit about Whoriah.

Mika, Madonna, Muse, and a bit of Whitney are promoted in the stores and put in the front. NO mariah at all. Half of the Madonna CDs were taken already (while there were still lots of CDs of Mika and the other bands, if anyone would care) ;)

BTW, about the black thing.. About five years ago a friend of mine said she was into Mariah and said that she's 80% black and I honestly thought she was lying, I told her that it's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. I just dont see the black in her.. I dont feel it in her music at all.. she also looks like a blonde chick who went to the tanning salone way too much. Her facial featuers also look caucasian. Whoriah's is not black at all, I dont believe any of it

Guest dicktracy

Well how can a skin colour be a state of mind? Strange.

Being black is more about ethnicity than skin color....

Anyway, the sarcasm was how it became convenient to her once she went the R&B way after trying to pretend the opposite when she started back in the early 90's.

Guest dicktracy

I understand what you are saying but black skin to me is black skin. Black is black is black. I wasn't brought up to believe in racial boundaries and I don't think ANY behaviour is exclusive to a skin colour. Possibly orientated around a culture. But obviously culture is something grandly different to a physical attribute. Your soul has no colour.

For a while Barack Obama wasn't black enough for a lot of black people in America. Whatever that means... I guess in America, being black is not the same as acting black. But that's a whole new discussion. Mariah embraced the American black culture (whatever that may be exactly) to get street cred and ultimately to sell more records. She is a quarter black according to American standards (father is half latino/half black and mother is Irish). If she wanted she could say she's a latina... If you're not in America this may sound stupid but that's how people treat ethnicity over here. This is the country of classifications, hence radio is all segmented and if you don't fit the mold you don't get much airplay.

Is nt Mariah's father black and mother white? She has been very clever in exploiting the black market and her black roots but then she has done her very best to appear like an overdone blonde chick at a tanning salon, as Nikki says. I remember when she first started out - I thought she was white.

Have to agree with that 100% I used to love MC when she started out. Vision ofLove was just a mighty song and the follow up singles and follow up album Emotion as good. I loved and still do love VOL, Theres gotta be away, love takes time, emotions, make it happen , cant let go, i'll be there. There was a certain rawness in those songs and MusicBox was god but way too polished. It was definitely a superstars album.

Fantasy/Daydream, I forgot the album title even though i have it, was also good. But then since then every single album has sounded like acheap imitation of Daydream. She released some good songs after ie My All, The Roof, Thank god i found you - the actual single releases were crap but the dance and r'n'b remixes were good. But then after even her remixes sounded cheap. Mariah from 1990-1996 was great. Im very surprised that a lot of people even here love TEOM - it was just another boring MC from the past 10 years.

some day,

Mariah is one of those artists who makes the same album over and over (Janet Jackson does too).Every album has the same,dull R&B sound,featuring the same boring topics.I can't tell one Mariah album from the next.She takes no chances.Her songs are predictable,the same crap you've heard from her many times before.

I just heard her new single "I Want To Know What Love Is" and it put me to sleep.Another overblown remake,with a choir.Wow,how original! Thank God that Madonna tries new things with her music.Her albums don't all sound alike.

Mariah has plenty of her own songs going top 10's in the UK too. I guess the main reason why some of her songs never did better was because she did less to promote in the UK. I reminds me of how Madonna has been in the USA over the last 5 years.

It's from the group Foreigner, and altough I think it sound terrible with her, I think it could be an European Hit just like Without you.

Remember Mooriah sucked with her own songs in UK, but she still managed #1 with Without you and Against all odds.

WBT would not even have got to no2 had she not performed it on LIVE 8. There was a rule to performing - no one was allowed to perform or plug new material as it was about promoting the issue, not the artist.

But Miss all about the charts had to have a desperate attempt but she still failed.

we belong together was cheated off the top position. we belong together missed the top spot in july 05 by 300 copies or something like that. i bet someone last minute put in that extra 300 something so they could keep mimi off the top spot. its a conspiracy. i mean 1000 copies sound ok but 300 something. if madonna fans are smug about this( madonna only fans not both diva supporters) then remember all the times that madge faliled to get the top spot on billboard hot 100 while the song peaked at 2. both diva's are being twarted.

Mariah has plenty of her own songs going top 10's in the UK too. I guess the main reason why some of her songs never did better was because she did less to promote in the UK. I reminds me of how Madonna has been in the USA over the last 5 years.

Bullshyt. She promoted ALL THE TIME in the UK, she was in London more than Madonna ever was in the 90s, doing Top Of The Pops for every release.

Btw, could you put your posts below the quote, makes them difficult to read above it.

Bullshyt. She promoted ALL THE TIME in the UK, she was in London more than Madonna ever was in the 90s, doing Top Of The Pops for every release.

Btw, could you put your posts below the quote, makes them difficult to read above it.

TRUE. She's parked her FAT ASS on Paul O'Grady's couch at least THREE TIMES. Half the audience didn't know who she was, even Paul looked less interested than when he's interviewing someone from Emmerdale.

But her greatest UK TV moment was in the mid 90s on The O Zone when she was interviewed LYING ON A SOFA. She refused to get up and propped her head up with her MAN LIKE HAND. Jamie Theakston was disgusted, as were the licence fee payers.

WBT would not even have got to no2 had she not performed it on LIVE 8. There was a rule to performing - no one was allowed to perform or plug new material as it was about promoting the issue, not the artist.

But Miss all about the charts had to have a desperate attempt but she still failed.

Actually, the rule was that nobody was allowed to promote previously unpublished material, but current songs or songs from published albums were allowed. So Mariah performed WBT (released at that time) and Coldplay performed Fix You (which was released as a single after the Live 8 show)

Funnily enough, the only major artist who was preparing new material at the time of the Live 8 shows was Madonna. So the "no new matrial" rule was actually aimed at her.

It is stupid. Her skin is not Black. Simple as that really. If she mentioned an ethnic or cultural connection to her Venezuelan roots, then that would be different.

She won't go Enya therefore I seriously doubt she'll mention that.

Actually, the rule was that nobody was allowed to promote previously unpublished material, but current songs or songs from published albums were allowed. So Mariah performed WBT (released at that time) and Coldplay performed Fix You (which was released as a single after the Live 8 show)

Funnily enough, the only major artist who was preparing new material at the time of the Live 8 shows was Madonna. So the "no new matrial" rule was actually aimed at her.

Even if she has new material, she won't be performing desperately & shamelessly like world's greatest opportunist Pariah Scarey.

we belong together was cheated off the top position. we belong together missed the top spot in july 05 by 300 copies or something like that. i bet someone last minute put in that extra 300 something so they could keep mimi off the top spot. its a conspiracy. i mean 1000 copies sound ok but 300 something. if madonna fans are smug about this( madonna only fans not both diva supporters) then remember all the times that madge faliled to get the top spot on billboard hot 100 while the song peaked at 2. both diva's are being twarted.

Even if there's "someone" out in extra 300 copies, it will only be counted as ONE purchase.

Why?

Because multiple purchases are not allowed according to UK single chart rules. That's why Pariah Scarey is unable to manipulate UK single chart like the way she does for US single chart, multiple purchase & 49 cents anyone? :rolleyes:

It is stupid. Her skin is not Black. Simple as that really. If she mentioned an ethnic or cultural connection to her Venezuelan roots, then that would be different.

You say so many stupid things on this forum, that it's really hard to keep up.

1. Posting a gorgeous shot of Alek Wek to illustrate what true black looks like, is just ridiculous. Based on that, half of my family just lost their black status. *NEWSFLASH*....BLACK PEOPLE COME IN EVERY SHADE FROM ALMOST WHITE TO BLUE/BLACK. Unless you're legally blind, I'm sure you've noticed Carlos Leon is AFRO-CUBAN, which means Lourdes has african blood in her veins!...just like Mariah! Can't wait for her to claim her blackness, and put out an r&b record like Mariah. LOL :lmao:

2. As a human being, Mariah has every right to define herself, without having to justify anything to anyone. Btw, her dad is half venezuelan, and there are MILLIONS of people of african descent throughout latin america. A little something called the SLAVE TRADE happened a while back.

In any case she still sucks, but will no doubt have the #1 album over Madonna

Scissor Sisters performed "Everybody Wants the Same Thing" at Live 8 -- which was eventually put on their Ta-Dah! album. It doesn't appear on the Live8 DVD, though. (I know you're probably not considering them a "major artist" -- I was just interested to hear of this rule, which I hadn't heard of before.)

1. Posting a gorgeous shot of Alek Wek to illustrate what true black looks like, is just ridiculous. Based on that, half of my family just lost their black status. *NEWSFLASH*....BLACK PEOPLE COME IN EVERY SHADE FROM ALMOST WHITE TO BLUE/BLACK. Unless you're legally blind, I'm sure you've noticed Carlos Leon is AFRO-CUBAN, which means Lourdes has african blood in her veins!...just like Mariah! Can't wait for her to claim her blackness, and put out an r&b record like Mariah. LOL :lmao:

2. As a human being, Mariah has every right to define herself, without having to justify anything to anyone. Btw, her dad is half venezuelan, and there are MILLIONS of people of african descent throughout latin america. A little something called the SLAVE TRADE happened a while back.

In any case she still sucks, but will no doubt have the #1 album over Madonna

Thank You.

SS were huge 2004-2006. They got bad press for performing a new song, even though the album was out 14 months later.

Scissor Sisters performed "Everybody Wants the Same Thing" at Live 8 -- which was eventually put on their Ta-Dah! album. It doesn't appear on the Live8 DVD, though. (I know you're probably not considering them a "major artist" -- I was just interested to hear of this rule, which I hadn't heard of before.)

You cant be almost white and be black at the same time. There is no one in the world with black or white skin. I dont know why in the 21st century we still use these terms.

Both Mariah and Lourdes have African heritage/blood but neither of them should be classified as "black" or "African"

In fact I remember Mariah Carey on the Ian Wright show in England and she said she loved England because there were plenty of mixed race children around and in America you were either considered black or white.

She can call herself what she wants but its about time we got rid of this ridicuulous black/white labelling.

I dont remember exactly but the press and music industry in general made a big fuss out of MC's performance - she quite simply exploited a charity event like she was some sort of charity case herself.

I dont think Madonna would have been so cheap - had she really wanted to she could have done songs from Am-Life and given the album some extra sales.

I dont remember exactly but the press and music industry in general made a big fuss out of MC's performance - she quite simply exploited a charity event like she was some sort of charity case herself.

What about Coldplay? Nobody attacked them, right? Even if they were singing a song yet to be released...

If Bob Geldof approved of their setlist, I don't see why anyone else would talk shit.

I dont remember MC promoting stuff much in the late 90's as her fanbase evaporated. She did do the-ozone a few times. I cant remember her on top of the pops much. She was nothing like Kylie was in terms of UK Promo. I know she did the Ian Wright show 8-9 years ago. I always thought her UK promo was minimum.

SS were huge 2004-2006. They got bad press for performing a new song, even though the album was out 14 months later.

Oh! I didn't know they got negative press over performing that. Too bad, really, as the theme of that song (now that I've been able to hear it on the other side of the album's release) would seem to be more fitting for a charity event than, say, T*ts on the Radio!

I never really saw the full performance of "Everybody Wants the Same Thing"... I was on vacation when the concerts happened, and when I got back I was trying to catch up on all the different performances. Naturally, I was most concerned with Madonna's and I *was* successful in downloading her performances. (I also own the DVD, so don't judge me, please, for downloading the performances!) But by the time I tried to download the SS performances, the site had been taken down or something. And the DVD release doesn't include "EWtST" -- I guess for the reason you're saying, that it didn't go over very well.

Was it really that they didn't want people blatantly promoting "new" material, or did they just feel that if artists didn't perform recognizable songs, the audience wouldn't be as into it? Because in the case of SS, as you point out, Ta-Dah! was still a long ways off (and EWtST wasn't even a single), so they obviously weren't trying to "sell" anything with that song. They were just using a thematically appropriate selection. Laura and Take Your Mama are fun and more crowd-pleasing, of course -- and no doubt the Hyde Park attendees would be more familiar with those two songs. I imagine they probably were a little lost when SS started playing an unknown song.

Sorry to be a little off-topic here. I know this is supposed to be about Madonna vs. Mariah... But this whole Live8 discussion reminded me of SS -- and I love SS! I know they were very popular in the UK, but in the US they're still very much a niche act, I believe. I'm looking forward to their next album (March 2010) -- produced by Stuart Price!