Would AL (the single) have been huge in the US if not for the uberpatriotism movement in 2003?

Guest nothingfails0603

Totally worthwhile. :lol:

Again....let's see YOU give it a go and start something!! By the attitude you have, you must be really good at it and have something way more important to start or say than anyone else? :)

Again....let's see YOU give it a go and start something!! By the attitude you have, you must be really good at it and have something way more important to start or say than anyone else? :)

Oh just stop already. You THOOOOOOOOOO got me! American Life sucks. I think this whole debate is old. We've been here before about 50 million times. THAT's what I meant.

Keep on Voguen'!

You might be tired of the discussion on it....the rest of us who have replied aren't. If you don't like it, just move on.

it's just a shit song, Warner should have held crisis talks and refused to press the vinyl/cds until it was remixed into something decent or they should have demanded Hollywood be the lead single

These threads need to stop. It's like every 4 or 5 months, we get the same exact thread.

American Life was not Madonna's greatest song, its not top quality. I will say it, it was crappy.

No, it would not have been huge. In fact, it was probably the worst performing lead single in most countries, which pretty much destroys the argument that U.S. patrotism sank its chances here. It debuted high many places (on the Madonna brand name alone) but did anyone notice how many weeks it stayed in the Top 10 in various countries?

No, it would not have been huge. In fact, it was probably the worst performing lead single in most countries, which pretty much destroys the argument that U.S. patrotism sank its chances here. It debuted high many places (on the Madonna brand name alone) but did anyone notice how many weeks it stayed in the Top 10 in various countries?

to play the devil's advocate, it went #1 on the UWC for 4 weeks. Still it was not a good lead single choice.

Guest americana madonna

I do believe "Amerian Life" would have been a successful song if the invasion of Iraq never happened back in 2003. "Die Another Day" was not the best song, but u.s. radio rushed to play the song before its release date. U.S. radio did not play "American Life" until she pulled the controversial video. I like "American Life". Its a very "pissed off" song. Its Madonna at her most rebellious.

I do believe "Amerian Life" would have been a successful song if the invasion of Iraq never happened back in 2003. "Die Another Day" was not the best song, but u.s. radio rushed to play the song before its release date. U.S. radio did not play "American Life" until she pulled the controversial video. I like "American Life". Its a very "pissed off" song. Its Madonna at her most rebellious.

Oh please.

AL is a shit song, from a bored rich woman. It deserved to FLOP hard. Sans that particular track, I thought the rest of the album was gorgeous. That overrated video, and dud of a song really poisoned the rest of that album, and it's really a shame.

to play the devil's advocate, it went #1 on the UWC for 4 weeks. Still it was not a good lead single choice.

Sorry, but UWC is hardly an official chart. It is made by a fan of charts, not an official company.

Here is the truth:

Peaks and (Weeks in Top 10):

Australia: #7 (1 week in the Top 10)

Austria: #7 (1 week)

Belgium: #10 (3 weeks)

Canada: #1 for 2 weeks (9 weeks in the Top 10) - this is a retail singles chart which is about as important as the Hot 100 sales (i.e. very low sales to reach #1)

Denmark: #1 (4 weeks)

Finland: #3 (2 weeks)

France: #10 (1 week)

Germany: #10 (1 week)

Netherlands: #4 (1 week)

Hungary: #2 (7 weeks)

Ireland: #7 (3 weeks)

Italy: #1 (4 weeks)

Norway: #9 (3 weeks)

Spain: #2 (7 weeks)

Sweden: #3 (7 weeks)

Swiss: #1 (5 weeks)

UK: #2 (1 week)

I'm sorry but 1 week in the Top 10 for the UK, Germany, the Netherlands, France, and Australia is NOT good. American patriotic sentiments had nothing to do with its failure. It is NOT a song loved by the masses. You may love it, but enough with the excuses for its underperformance.

Nothing on the AL album was ever going to be a hit IMO. Not because of the quality but because there is not one radio friendly track (US) on the album. Hollywood is the only song that sounded like it could be a single to me upon first listen of the album. I've always thought Hollywood would've done at least slightly better than AL as lead single, just because it is a bit more catchy and melodic than AL and because it's the lead single from a Madonna album of course. If AL hadn't been the first single, no doubt it would never have entered the Hot 100.

Although AL is actually one of my favorite tracks on the album, it's a HORRIBLE choice for a single. It's not a smooth, pleasent listen. It's jarring, obnoxious at times and a little corny. It's lucky to have gotten as much airplay as it did really. I think very little had to do with uberpatriotism. I don't even remember the whole AL "controversy" being that big of a deal at the time. Yeah it was a big deal on the forums, but had I not been a loon who visited forums frequently I would've known very little about it. Compare that "controversy" to the LAP, JML, CT cross or Madoption. They were all over the place, nearly unavoidable. Looking back it seems to me that the general public and casuals weren't really turned off or disgusted/offended by anything in particular, it was more like they just didn't care.

American Life is just too jarring, unmelodic and maybe unpleasent for mass success. Madonna was good, at one time, at luring people in with hits and placing unconventional stuff through her albums but she had lost all sence of subtlety during this period, for whatever reason. It doesn't matter if Bedtime Story is a good or bad song, it was never going far, and the same is the case here too.

Guest nothingfails0603

Oh please.

AL is a shit song, from a bored rich woman. It deserved to FLOP hard. Sans that particular track, I thought the rest of the album was gorgeous. That overrated video, and dud of a song really poisoned the rest of that album, and it's really a shame.

but when does "shit" stop a song from being huge? After all, 2003 was probably one of the worst years in mainstream US music (2004 was even worse with all that Usher shit)... Beyonce literally being the only artist to score a #1 that year I can stomach.

Guest nothingfails0603

I think very little had to do with uberpatriotism. I don't even remember the whole AL "controversy" being that big of a deal at the time. Yeah it was a big deal on the forums, but had I not been a loon who visited forums frequently I would've known very little about it. Compare that "controversy" to the LAP, JML, CT cross or Madoption. They were all over the place, nearly unavoidable. Looking back it seems to me that the general public and casuals weren't really turned off or disgusted/offended by anything in particular, it was more like they just didn't care.

Well, I still posted on the AOL board back then (it ended up becoming a shithole thanks to one troll and all his alias sns) and I remember for about a week after the news got out, the place was filled to the brim with "patriotic" neo-conservatives who had to post about how unpatriotic Madonna is and how she's a traitor, etc.... And don't forget that Clear Channel boycotted the entire album.

As someone else said, the negative controversy the video generated probably helped get the song more attention than it would have gotten otherwise. “American Life” was just too abstract and weird for radio. Stations weren’t going to play it in-between “In the Club” and “Crazy In Love.” Upon first listen, it was painfully evident to me that nothing on American Life was going to be well received by the mainstream. Not even fluffier fare like “Hollywood” or the quasi-listener-friendly “Nothing Fails.” It was her ‘the goth kids’ album.

As someone else said, the negative controversy the video generated probably helped get the song more attention than it would have gotten otherwise. “American Life” was just too abstract and weird for radio. Stations weren’t going to play it in-between “In the Club” and “Crazy In Love.” Upon first listen, it was painfully evident to me that nothing on American Life was going to be well received by the mainstream. Not even fluffier fare like “Hollywood” or the quasi-listener-friendly “Nothing Fails.” It was her ‘the goth kids’ album.

I don't think so. Why would it get attention by a video no one saw? American Life got played because it was a Madonna song. But then people finally heard the song, and it just disappeared.

If AL had been remixed and had the crappo bandwagon war video scrapped, it might have had more of a chance. Bad PR coupled with the hard production made a record that US radio didn't want especially as she was living in London.

I would love that album to get a makeover. I think there are some great songs on there but they need remixing to remove the "stiff" sound she wanted.

Guest tir69

American life is a great song , the album is amazing , her voice sounds good.

The Paul O. remix is full of energy.

Intervention , Love profusion , mother & father , I'm so stupid are all greats.

She did a great album but probably peoples at that time was not ready for something like that from Madonna.

Well, I still posted on the AOL board back then (it ended up becoming a shithole thanks to one troll and all his alias sns) and I remember for about a week after the news got out, the place was filled to the brim with "patriotic" neo-conservatives who had to post about how unpatriotic Madonna is and how she's a traitor, etc.... And don't forget that Clear Channel boycotted the entire album.

Yeah, I'm sure it was spoke of for a couple of days at the time, it still wasn't one of her bigger "controversies" in the long run though. Also, as mentioned anybody who was aware of the controversy and became offended by it would probably not be someone who would buy Madonna's albums anyway. If anybody outside of diehards remember anything at all about Madonna circa '03 it would be The Kiss I think over that.

I've never been sure about the whole radio boycott thing. I know she herself acknowledged it so I definitely think it's possible. But I think regardless that album wouldn't have got airplay. There is not one track that is an obvious KILLER lead single. Music had a different sound too but it still was a lot more radio friendly and novel than anything on the airwaves at the time. One of the best of Madonna's famous, catchy hooks! AL was also different but not in the same way. Nothing on that album is as hooky as Music, Amazing (not saying it's one of the best on Music but it's damn catchy...would've been a good single...check Beautiful Stranger) or Don't Tell Me.

Guest bluejean

And anyone who would seriously use the lyric, "Nothing is what it seems" deserves a slap. :lol:

Yes, I recall cringing at that line the first 20 times I heard it.

No I don't think the song or album would have done any better, I think it was her weakest project ever. The war thing had little, if anything to do with it.

Madonna doing electro acoustic/folk songs just didn't work for me or the public either. (Aside from Don' Tell Me.) It was most likely Guy that influenced her to do that. I remember her saying he said 'Hung Up' sucked when he first heard it.

Guest Danny86
I suspect it was Guy that influenced her to go down that path.

He's called Monte Pittman.

Madonna has been doing the folk/acoustic thing on concert ever since he's her guitarist.

Guest dicktracy

That song would have never been huge in the US. Well, unless it was released after Justify My Love in 1991. Anyway, it could have been a Top 10 hit like Die Another Day if the marketing had been more appropriate and the rapping had been less cringe-worthy. I think that there was a bit of backlash because of the timing and video's theme. But, in the end, that song would not have been a huge hit, let alone #1 in America even if it had a Express Yourself caliber video. The first single for that project should have been Hollywood... but by the time it was released the damage was already done.

Yeah right, the company that produced her tours boycotted its own product! :bruised: What about all the other radio companies? Did they boycott her too? Actually, Clear Channel stations were those that tried to play the songs...