Sticky & Sweet 2009 Itinerary

daizy1

posted on Tribe

Well here goes - we saw Tina Turner at the Manchester MEN Arena yesterday (she was brilliant btw) and had to pick up our tickets from the box office. We asked the guy there how many tickets Madonna had actually sold for the show on the 8th. The grand total of tickets sold was: 2000!

For those who are unsure about the size of the MEN, the usual capacity for an end stage fully seated concert is around 14,000 so I guess they had no choice but to cancel.

If this is true then that is a complete disaster not to mention embarrassing. Hopefully it will give TEAM MADONNA the kick up the arse they so

badly need and make them realise her ticket prices are out of control.

If this is true then that is a complete disaster not to mention embarrassing. Hopefully it will give TEAM MADONNA the kick up the arse they so

badly need and make them realise her ticket prices are out of control.

I don't think it's just or primarily the ticket prices. A huge factor is this is a repeat of the same tour that was just in England last summer. I'm sure people who are big fans of Madonna in Manchester could very easily travel to London to see her at Wembley when she was there.

I'm guessing that Tina Turner probably hasn't been to England previously on this tour so it's not something people had a chance to see before. In fact, I think it's been a very long time since Tina's last tour.

Even if Madonna's ticket prices were cheaper, I don't think a second leg in places close to where she went before would do that great.

Guest hot revolver
I don't know if Madonna would consider this, but what I would like to see on the next tour, is maybe cut back on some of threatrics, special effects etc. and make it more about the music and her band. That way her expenses would be lower, so she could charge a lower ticket price but still make the same amount of profit.

I guess some fans demand the elaborate staging, but I genuinely love her music and think she could do a tour that's more focused around just the music and maybe some great dancing.

I think she went as far as she could will all the super elaborate effects and staging, that there's no further way to go with that.

The only thing left for her to do is to really focus more around the actual music which is why we all fell in love with her in the first place.

That would also really allow people to appreciate her talent as a songwriter and a singer more, an area in which she has been very underrated in my opinion.

didnt madonna say the confessions tour was supposed to be "intimate"?

theres not enough madonna fans to sustain her high prices

a lot of the casual goers are disppointed wit her performances

didnt madonna say the confessions tour was supposed to be "intimate"?

theres not enough madonna fans to sustain her high prices

a lot of the casual goers are disppointed wit her performances

There are enough Madonna fans as long as she sticks to arenas. But not enough if she tries to do stadiums as she seems to be doing on this tour extension.

Regardless of the money factor, some people just don't enjoy going to concerts in stadiums where you either have to stand up or have a seat way far back so you can't see anything.

I had a great time seeing Sticky and Sweet in MSG. I wouldn't have had as good a time if it was in a football stadium.

Madonna's shows are so visual that if you aren't close you miss alot. Whereas a lot of the stadium acts like the Stones or the U2 have more of a rock band thing, and so it's not crucial if you can't see the stage that well.

I don't think people are dissappointed with her performances. Everyone I've known have always enjoyed her shows. It's just that financially people can't afford to no matter how good it is. Plus, if you've seen something once, why do you need to see it again? No matter how much I love an artist, if I've seen them in concert once, I don't have the desire to go see the same exact show. I have such a wide variety of musical artists I like, I don't want to see one artist over and over again. I want to experience different things. I guess I have a short attention span.

Guest Danny86
I don't think it's just or primarily the ticket prices. A huge factor is this is a repeat of the same tour that was just in England last summer. I'm sure people who are big fans of Madonna in Manchester could very easily travel to London to see her at Wembley when she was there.

I'm guessing that Tina Turner probably hasn't been to England previously on this tour so it's not something people had a chance to see before. In fact, I think it's been a very long time since Tina's last tour.

Even if Madonna's ticket prices were cheaper, I don't think a second leg in places close to where she went before would do that great.

I think the reason why they scheduled 4 arena dates in the UK is because the Wembley Stadium venue pissed off a lot of people and on forums everyone kept saying that she should have done the O2, so they assumed there would be enough interest to do 4 more dates with prices like that, or at least they wanted to make sure they are milking the most out of it. Which, in the end backfired. They should have seen the signs from Madonna doing only 1 date in the Stadium instead of the predicted double...

I think the reason why they scheduled 4 arena dates in the UK is because the Wembley Stadium venue pissed off a lot of people and on forums everyone kept saying that she should have done the O2, so they assumed there would be enough interest to do 4 more dates with prices like that, or at least they wanted to make sure they are milking the most out of it. Which, in the end backfired. They should have seen the signs from Madonna doing only 1 date in the Stadium instead of the predicted double...

I don't think it's true that everyone or even a majority who saw it in London were annoyed or pissed off. It's just that the few who were managed to complain the loudest. I heard from many people they loved the show in London.

And if you were annoyed, why would you rush out to buy tickets for the same artist that pissed you off? If some artist pisses me off and I hate their concert, I certainly don't fall over myself to buy another ticket for a new concert by them.

Guest Danny86
I don't think it's true that everyone or even a majority who saw it in London were annoyed or pissed off. It's just that the few who were managed to complain the loudest. I heard from many people they loved the show in London.

And if you were annoyed, why would you rush out to buy tickets for the same artist that pissed you off? If some artist pisses me off and I hate their concert, I certainly don't fall over myself to buy another ticket for a new concert by them.

I agree, in fact I was at the show and didn't expect any of the bad stuff, but the complaints did appear in the UK press so LN must have thought it was a considerable amount of people.

I don't think anyone thought it was Madonna pissing them off, it was the venue itself, the majority of the complaints had no problem with Madonna or the show, so that's why LN thought the same people would decide to give it another chance.

I don't know if Madonna would consider this, but what I would like to see on the next tour, is maybe cut back on some of threatrics, special effects etc. and make it more about the music and her band. That way her expenses would be lower, so she could charge a lower ticket price but still make the same amount of profit.

I guess some fans demand the elaborate staging, but I genuinely love her music and think she could do a tour that's more focused around just the music and maybe some great dancing.

I think she went as far as she could will all the super elaborate effects and staging, that there's no further way to go with that.

The only thing left for her to do is to really focus more around the actual music which is why we all fell in love with her in the first place.

That would also really allow people to appreciate her talent as a songwriter and a singer more, an area in which she has been very underrated in my opinion.

You know it's interesting... On one of the Youtube videos from the Cardiff show, some guy in the background talking to his girlfriend after La Isla Bonita, says, "There's too much show".

When you have something like "Doli Doli" included as part of a setlist just for the sake of theme continuation and theatrics, at the expense of other major hits which could have taken its place, it seems pointless. If you look back at Madonna's greatest moments on stage, sometimes the best performances are the most understated in terms of on-stage theatrics. Take LAV on BAT. Just a bed, a couple of dancers and a slowed-down version of a classic. The result was a pop cultural colossi. Same with You Must Love Me on this tour.

The car during Beat Goes On serves no real purpose, either does the boxing ring in the Die Another Day interlude. If she wants to continue making as much from lower-priced tickets, Madonna needs to make some CUTS.

No offense, but I really don't think the general public or casual fan masses would pay to see Madonna with a microphone, minimal staging and a band. She is not known for her great voice or profound lyrics - she is KNOWN as the ultimate show girl. I consider myself I pretty hardcore fan but even I wouldn't want her to do Madonna Unplugged - the Tour. Her shows are great because they are unlike conventional rock shows and they always offer something new in terms of style or visual imagery. Part of the whole reason Blond Ambition was considered such a landmark tour (to almost everyone in the industry) was BECAUSE of its elaborate nature. In my opinion, she is just as much a visual artist as a musical one.

When you have something like "Doli Doli" included as part of a setlist just for the sake of theme continuation and theatrics, at the expense of other major hits which could have taken its place, it seems pointless.

Hmmm..couldn't that be said for Interludes too? I guess I disagree. I love that her shows generally have a "flow" to them. One of my major complaints about RIT was that too many of the performances seemed like rapid fire gunshots of her greatest hits with no relation to one another. Almost robotic in their one-hit-after-another assembly. Of course, I also understand that was the reason lots of other people like it too. I prefer some artistry and story-telling though.

If you look back at Madonna's greatest moments on stage, sometimes the best performances are the most understated in terms of on-stage theatrics. Take LAV on BAT. Just a bed, a couple of dancers and a slowed-down version of a classic. The result was a pop cultural colossi. Same with You Must Love Me on this tour.

The car during Beat Goes On serves no real purpose, either does the boxing ring in the Die Another Day interlude. If she wants to continue making as much from lower-priced tickets, Madonna needs to make some CUTS.

I do agree with you that BAT's LAV simplicity was fantastic and I think she could do a few numbers where the stage is sparse to give more gravity to the songs. But for every LAV there is also a DWRY or Sky Fits Heaven which relied heavily on special effects technology or visual tricks yet provided some of the most memorable moments of the show.

I admit I am one of the few who doesn't mind paying more for a Madonna ticket because she's never let me down when it comes to delivering a kick-ass concert. I have my limits what I will pay, but so far it has been worth the money.

Guest jamesshot
No offense, but I really don't think the general public or casual fan masses would pay to see Madonna with a microphone, minimal staging and a band. She is not known for her great voice or profound lyrics - she is KNOWN as the ultimate show girl.

Ummm what? That sounds like Britney not Madonna. She has enough songs with profound lyrics. You make her sound like some cheap disco tart the way you describe her here.

Yes we love the show but make no mistake, when I saw her in Houston and she was just standing there singing You Must Love Me, that is the time when I noticed everyone was mesmerized by her. There wasn't a single eye that wasn't on her at this point. That wasn't the case the entire concert.

Guest boytoyville

I really don't think these two shows that were cancelled are an indication of much of anything. All the big names in music have had markets that were weaker than others and either cancelled shows or changed tour plans. Madonna's managment I'm sure could have went on with the shows but decided to go ahead with some other locations that worked better and didn't make Madonna work as hard. I mean three nights in a row with the type of show Madonna does is very straining. I actually think that cancellation of the Manchester date says a lot more about Manchester and the Evening News Arena more than anything else. Madonna isn't the only one that has performed less shows at that venue and had problems selling tickets in that city. The bookings at the Evening news arena started to trend down and then took a substantial dive since the opening of the O2. Many performers are doing limited stops there or are skipping Manchester all together and doing more shows at the O2 or are just trying out some other UK or continental European markets that are untapped. There was an insane amount of traffic at that venue for sometime. Over the last fews years it was getting more business,sales and bookings than Madison Square Garden. I think that market is just a bit burnt out. A recent good example would be Britney. Rumor had it that they were going to do a run of a fews shows in Manchester but only stuck to the one because of weaker than expected sales. I mean with her 8 show run at the O2 most Uk residents are seeing her there. in the end this European leg of Sticky and Sweet has already done incredible business. The grossess will be insane. She will certainly be adding 100+ more million onto her already record breaking tally. With the buinsess she is doing they will most certainly continue to book Madonna into some stadiums and for good reason. Her production is amazing any way you slice it. I recently saw Britney and it's not even comparable to Sticky and Sweet and some fans think that is a more "minimal" production for her. Madonna will always draw big dollar and a large crowd no doubt. She will always be a massive draw in terms of touring.

Ummm what? That sounds like Britney not Madonna. She has enough songs with profound lyrics. You make her sound like some cheap disco tart the way you describe her here.

Obviously that isn't how I view her. But I think the general masses (the people who don't care if they are in the Golden Circle) generally like her shows because of all those big production elements. I am saying if you took all that away and it was just Madonna and a microphone, a lot less people would probably pay. I could be wrong, but that is how I think it would be.

Yes we love the show but make no mistake, when I saw her in Houston and she was just standing there singing You Must Love Me, that is the time when I noticed everyone was mesmerized by her. There wasn't a single eye that wasn't on her at this point. That wasn't the case the entire concert.

No doubt people were emotionally connected during "You Must Love Me" but sometimes the quiet moments in the storm get more attention. If the whole show was her singing her ballads and just sitting there, I don't think she'd be filling stadiums. Sorry, but I don't. We can agree to disagree.

Guest KoreanMadonna

WTGT 1987

announced: Frankfurt, Waldstadion (sold out)

BAT 1990

announced: Berlin (Olympic Stadium) - CANCELLED (because of poor ticket sales [Fall of the wall in 1989; German Unification 1990], but Madonna's management was reporting "due to logistical difficulties")

Cologne (Mungersdorfer Stadium) - moved and re-scheduled to Dortmund (Westfalenhalle) :arrow: because of poor ticket sales the show was re-scheduled and moved from a stadium into an arena. The arena-show was totally sold out!

Munich (Olympisches Reitstadion) - The show was re-scheduled but luckily sold out!

GST 1993

announced: Frankfurt (Festhalle) - CANCELLED (I couldn't get a single ticket back in the days, so it must have been sold out - but I could not find any information about it online today.)

DWT 2001

announced: Cologne (Cologne Arena) - Tour-Opening of DWT 2001 - BOTH CANCELLED (both shows were sold out - and they had already so many requests, that they could have had sold out another two shows (which was planned)

announced: Berlin (Max-Schmeling-Halle [Arena] - All four shows sold out!

CT 2006

announced: Düsseldorf (LTU-Arena [stadium]) - sold out

announced: Hannover (AWD-Arena [stadium]) - sold out

S&ST 2008:

announced: Berlin (Olympic Stadium) - not sold out, but as a "projected sell out" sold out

announced: Düsseldorf (LTU-Arena [stadium]) - not sold out, but as a "projected sell out" sold out

announced: Frankfurt (Commerbank Arena [stadium] - sold out

S&ST 2009:

announced: Hamburg (Trab-Arena Hamburg Bahrenfeld) - CANCELLED - because of poor ticket sales and the greed of Madonna and her management, but Madonna's management is reporting "due to logistical difficulties")

announced: Munich (Olympic Stadium) - CE SERA!

ANNOUNCED: 18 x

CANCELLATIONS: 5 x

RE-SCHEDULED: 2 x

Soruce: http://forum.madonnafanclub.eu/viewtopic.p...19&start=70

Guest Danny86
I love that her shows generally have a "flow" to them. One of my major complaints about RIT was that too many of the performances seemed like rapid fire gunshots of her greatest hits with no relation to one another. Almost robotic in their one-hit-after-another assembly. Of course, I also understand that was the reason lots of other people like it too. I prefer some artistry and story-telling though.

That's true, the RIT barely had any flow. The first segment was done only to use her two biggest hits from the 90s among the first few songs, and the last segment was only 80s huge hits with her then-last biggest hit. I also think starting a segment with something as serious as "American Life" and ending with a karaoke version of "Material Girl" that had one of the cheapest and pointless videos ever is a mess ("I'm So Stupid" would have made sense, but singing about satin sheets and velvet kisses in "Dress You Up" would have been just as weird).

When her setlist has at least half of current stuff, the show has a much better flow. Even if I'm not a fan of several songs performed on the Girlie Show, I have to admit the songs follow each other really smoothly.

No doubt people were emotionally connected during "You Must Love Me" but sometimes the quiet moments in the storm get more attention. If the whole show was her singing her ballads and just sitting there, I don't think she'd be filling stadiums. Sorry, but I don't. We can agree to disagree.

I have to agree, I love "Mother And Father" RIT, "Paradise" CT & "You Must Love Me" S&ST but I definitely don't want a whole Madonna show of those kinda performances. They are special because they are a one-off kinda performance on each show.

The guitar performances have to be done because Madonna needs to rest, if it was without the guitar, she would be just standing there anyway, but most of the show is expected to have flashy costumes, big choreographies and eye-catching videos. She only really broke from this in the 4th segment of RIT which I believe is considered as one of the most boring tour segments she had ever done. She would definitely not be broking tour records if most of her show was like that segment.

GST 1993

announced: Frankfurt (Festhalle) - CANCELLED (I couldn't get a single ticket back in the days, so it must have been sold out - but I could not find any information about it online today.)

this show was sold out too, i remember reading it in the newspapers back in the day

Guest jamesshot
Obviously that isn't how I view her. But I think the general masses (the people who don't care if they are in the Golden Circle) generally like her shows because of all those big production elements. I am saying if you took all that away and it was just Madonna and a microphone, a lot less people would probably pay. I could be wrong, but that is how I think it would be.

I don't necessary disagree and you did clarify but I think you sell the casual fan short a bit. While it is true most want a show from her rather than a traditional concert, some of her "just her and microphone" moments really work with casual fans. If she did more hits she would easily sell out stadiums even with your average production.

Guest FrozenLight

I don't even understand why LN bothered with Paris and Manchester. They should have booked a second show in Belgium and additional shows in Scandinavia and maybe one or 2 shows in Scotland. I wouldn't have been surprised if a 3rd show in Sweden would have sold out

I missed all this as I was away for the last few days. I am shocked Manchester has not managed a sell out. Only because of the ridiculous ticket price though. Last year she would have sold out both dates on the hype of the album and new tour excitement. This time round the extension is not enough to sell 30k in Manchester.

I would have gone but wasn't willing to go during the week for an average seat for £175 (x2) as all the best tickets seemed to have been taken in the presales.

Reisio.de:

Sonnenklar.tv is offering an overnight accomodation in to 2 to 4 stars hotels in Prague, inclusive breakfast and a Madonna concert ticket. The ticket is valid for the concert to the August 13 show and is for a spot in the standing area. The concert will take place in the Chodov Natural Amphitheater. The accommodation is offered in hotels in the proximity of the Amphitheater and all hotels are in the category of 2 stars to 4 stars. Appropriate furnishings, toilet/shower are offered at all applicable hotels and also a rich breakfast buffet are included in the travel price of 79 euros.

Apparently there are also various travel deals for Prague that start at 99 euro (available until April 27) that include accomodations at the 5-star Corinthia Towers.

Apparently 15,000 tickets have been sold for Zaragoza in 11 days ...

How many need to be sold, what's the capacity?

How many need to be sold, what's the capacity?

.............52.000, and they expected to sell 30.000 during the first 4 days.But now they´ve started doing promotion again

and in madrid you still have 7000 tickets if you want to buy one, and in Barcelona 6000 or so...

Guest boytoyville

From Drownedmadonna.com

New rumours: Madonna to tour in Israel?

Category: Live Performances & Tours.

An Israeli news website just reported that a negotiation is under way for an Israeli stop on the Sticky and Sweet tour, early September, and that this time "it looks closer than ever".

It also mention that a hotel reservation was already made for Madonna's entourage.

http://www.nrg.co.il/online/47/ART1/874/78...=2&tmp=8953. Thanks to Eldad.

Guest latvianinexile

Many people in Hamburg and North Germany may be disappointed because of the cancelled Hamburg show. But there is an interesting option for Hamburgers, Berliners and others. German tour operator Ebden Reisen is offering packages Ticket+Hotel for the concert in Tallinn, Estonia on 4 August. There are direct flights from Hamburg and Berlin with Estonian Air. All very affordable. Madonna in Tallinn