SERIOUS DISCUSSION regarding the forthcoming Madonna compilation release.

Mattress

Guest Drowned Bedtime
Okay fags what title are you suggesting for this GH?

"Strike A Pose"

"Survival"

"Take A Bow"

"Now I Can Tell You..."

"Keeping It Together"

"Cherished"

"I'm Not Sorry"

"Feels Like Home"

All pretty shit. Bolded are the ones I quite like.

I'm thinking it'll be a variation on 'Immaculate".

mattress, it seems as though you would know this. ive always wondered who 'owned the rights' to madonnas early recordings. like if sire swooped in and bought some? anyway, for the compilation, ive always wanted early recordings to start it off. get up, bells ringing, garage burning up, laugh to keep from crying...mixing those in with her early club hits, then early radio hits. along the way juxtapose some demos into mid career hits down to today. im thinking more of a madonna retrospective. it seems a high percentage of her fan base and public is not in tune with her roots, which, imo - is INSTRUMENTAL in her legendary 25 years at the top. i also would like to see an accompanying book with pictures/work from the estate of warhol, basquiat, haring - again scouring through her influence and collaborations with the great people along the way.

maybe im way off here with what you started but that is what i would like to see. :thumbsup:

OMG YES YES YES!! :dramatic:

This would be ideal! I always thought Camille owned Get Up, High Society, I Want You and Love On The Run (that's what she said on that Madonna Exposed show....but that WAS like 15 years ago) and that Dan and Ed Gilroy owned all the Breakfast Club stuff like Bells Ringing, Drowning, No Time For Love etc. Otherwise I would think we would've gotten an official release of these songs one way or another by this point. Even if Warner did have access to these songs though, do you think Madonna would endorse having those pre-fame songs released?? This is the same woman who called ITG "dorky"......a LOOONG time ago yes, but still we know how moody she is about her older classic, hit songs so I'm not sure how she'd feel about a pre-fame demo of Are You Ready For It being put out there. But it would be awesome to hear her complete musical evolution from the time she first picked up guitar and wrote a lyric basically, to HC stuff.....that would be one helluva listen!

I would drop anything that wasn't an official single so that means Spotlight, WTP and Physical Attraction (although I love the last one). Also, DJ and TLOL could go. In Britain she has had nearly 70 singles so I can't see any compilation album being that broad.

Like GHV2, it will be the standard edits of the biggest hits. At least it won't be in the awful Q-sound. It will be a while before they open the vaults and do remixes and rarities. It will be the standard recycling of the hits for a good few years.

Into The Groove can't be omitted just because it wasnt an official single, and just a B side to Angel !

Oooh I LOVE this thread!

The ImFATulate Collection

Theif of Tarts

You Must Love Meat

Like a Virgin (olive oil)

Bedtime Snack

Stuffing Really Matters

Bake A Sow

Frozen (pizza)

Pray for Spanish Pies

I Deserve Chips

White Meat

Open Your Heart (for emergency surgery)

I Love New Pork

:lmao:

Guest ursaminorjim

Ha!

Obviously it needs to be 2 discs. I wishj it were a collection of her best moments, not just singles. I know that's exceedingly subjective, but still. Rare versions? Remixes instead of single/album versions? Absolutely.

As for unreleased stuff, a third disc Special Edition would be good. But not within the context of a retrospective package.

Obviously, it couldn't be a be-all/end-all collection. Too much of her great work needs its own context, and this should function merely as a replacement for the woefully compiled Immaculate Collection and GHV2. Entry-level Madonna, but with the footnotes filled in.

It will have to be a 2CD set for sure, would be grea aspcial edition with B-sides and remixes maybe....

It should include songs that are missing in TIC like Whos tha girl, Causing a commotion, True blue

My set:

1 Bordeline

2 Holiday

3 Like a virgin

4 Material girl

5 Into the groove

6 Dress you up

7 Crazy for you

8 live to tell

9 papa dont preach

10 la isla bonita

11 true blue

12 whos that girl

13 causing a commotion

14 like a prayer

15 express yourself

16 cherish

17 vogue

18 hanky panky

19 this used to be my playground

20 you'll see

21 erotica

22 secret

23 take a bow

24 you must love me

25 frozen

26 ray of light

27 beautiful stranger

28 drowned world

29 music

30 dont tell me

31 american life

32 hung up

33 sorry

34 jump

35 & 36 new songs (dreaming i know)

justify my love should be excluded otherwise it will kill TIC sales

I had enough candy already (although 4 minutes will prob be included)

It's the edit on the Australian 7" single

There was an official 7" release of Burning Up in Europe and Japan but not the UK

As for this no longer being a serious discussion, I think it is. It's just that how do you cram in nearly 70 single releases onto one compilation album and everyone be happy?

I don't think we will get a decent retrospective until Madonna jacks in the singing and that is another ten years at least.

As for unreleased stuff, I expect if they did put anything on a compilation, it would be one of the tracks that was leaked like Revenge or Gone, Gone, Gone.

Nope; it's a number ones album combining the US and UK number ones is all I expect.

Guest charger

I think a good title would be something like "Madonna - One Hit Wonder" and sort of have the "One" be her middle finger sticking up. Sort of like, they always said she wouldn't last, but she's still had all of these hits, and she's giving people the finger or something. As far as tracklisting, I think to attract more people, it should be radio edits of all of her US singles (maybe different for Europe).

Disk 1 1982-1987

1. Everybody

2. Burning Up

3. Holiday

4. Lucky Star

5. Borderline

6. Like A Virgin

7. Material Girl

8. Crazy For You

9. Angel

10. Into The Groove

11. Dress You Up

12. Live To Tell

13. Papa Don't Preach

14. True Blue

15. Open Your Heart

16. La Isla Bonita

17. Who's That Girl?

18. Causing A Commotion

Disk 2 1988-1995

1. Like A Prayer

2. Express Yourself

3. Cherish

4. Oh Father

5. Keep It Together

6. Vogue

7. Hanky Panky

8. Justify My Love

9. Rescue Me

10. This Used to be My Playground

11. Erotica

12. Deeper and Deeper

13. Bad Girl

14. Rain

15. I'll Remember

16. Secret

17. Take A Bow

18. Bedtime Story

19. Human Nature

Disk 3 1996-2008

1. You'll See

2. You Must Love Me

3. Don't Cry For Me Argentina

4. Frozen

5. Ray of Light

6. Power of Goodbye

7. Beautiful Stranger

8. American Pie

9. Music

10. Don't Tell Me

11. What It Feels Like For a Girl

12. Die Another Day

13. American Life

14. Hollywood

15. Me Against the Music (w/Britney)

16. Hung Up

17. Sorry

18. 4 Minutes (w/Justin)

19. Give It 2 Me

This probably won't ever happen, but for me, the charted hits are what the public knows the most. I tried to include those that made the top 40 and those that just barely missed it.

Sticking to the topic...

I do believe the compilation should cater to the fans. As stated, with the digital age, a retrospect like this would basically be something a fan wants to own. And of course, they need to make it worth it. None of that shabby "edit" crap for songs and try to not just release another Immaculate Collection set.

I also agree it should include a disc of rarities. I doubt this will even happen, but this is WB chance to really put a great retrospect of Madonna together. Maybe include a DVD as well.

But then again, I am not sure how much pull Madonna has now with WB, but I'm sure she doesn't want WB to release something which tries to put together something, making her like she's a "has been!" I get the feeling that is why Madonna isn't too much into compilation albums.

madonna needs a greatest hits ala beatles: a red album for one era, and a blue album for the other.Of course, both should be double albums.and Justify my love has to be there, although it´s n0ot my cup of tea, it´s one of her big hits.TIC has sold more than enough

I don't mind the official radio edits as most were pretty good. It's the butchering of TIC and remixed Into The Groove and LAP that was the crime of that album.

If there is a third CD of rarities I think a remaster of Each Time You Break My Heart and Love Won't Wait would be good. Unreleased remix of Like A Virgin and Cherish too.

ICON

DISC ONE

1. Everybody

2. Burning Up

3. Holiday

4. Borderline

5. Lucky Star

6. Like a Virgin

7. Material Girl

8. Crazy for You

9. Angel

10. Into the Groove