BOXSCORE: S&S grossed $407.7 million!!! Attended by 3.5 million people!

motherandfather03

No.

She had the largest grossing tour by a female artist with The Confessions tour - not by a solo artist.

My question is - who had the record for the largest grossing tour by a solo artist before she broke it now with S&S?

Cher?

Cher?

M held the record with Confessions for the largest grossing tour by female artist, but not for solo in general. Meaning; the record for the largest grossing tour by a solo artist was held by a male.

I almost sure that Chet isn't a male [insert joke here], so that it wasn't her. ;)

Nightshade is good with this kind of info; maybe he knows.

The whole world worships her!

in one way or another, yes.

just now, less than a minute ago there was another M encounter on tv. even when one tries to escape her, it doesn't work. madonna's a household name.

The people that follow boxscores saw this coming. But it will get most people by surprise. The impressive thing here is how far ahead Madonna is of all the other female performers. When discussions come up names like Tina Turner and Celine come up, but the reality is that they are distant 2nd's. They don't even come close. I can't see any female getting even close to catching up to Madonna. Once she's gone, I wonder if any female will ever be able to break her record.

Don't know what numbers Celine Dion would have had for her unreported show, but she does have unreported shows, whereas M has had all hers reported. Cher also had some unreported for her Neverending Farewell Tour, so that probably would have brought her above Confessions Tour. But, nonetheless, Sticky & Sweet easily topped whatever her gross would have been (though possibly not number of tickets sold).

Guest FrozenLight

The thing is she could easily reach the $400 million plateau if she added Australia and Asia. I wouldn't be surprised that if she toured Australia she could gross a $60 million gross just from one country (say 10 to 12 stadium shows grossing between 5 to 6 million dollars a piece which she could definitely do). Then add 7 or 8 stadium shows in Japan and a few others in the rest of Asia and she would have a $400 million gross.

I think maybe Live Nation plans on holding those places for her next tour (probably in 3 years) in order to break yet again the Sticky and Sweet worldwide gross.

Either way with 58 concerts she was able to reach about $280 million...if she does 120 concerts like U2 and the Rolling Stones she would be able to have higher grosses than them

I mean they are PLENTY of markets she doesn't even touch (Cincinatti, Tampa, Minneapolis, Seattle, Portland, Dallas, St Louis, Cleveland, Kansas City, San Antonio, Nashville....I mean sure it's not like she could sell out football stadiums in places like Portland and Nashville but she could easily sell out a 18,000 arena in all of those places....and definitely 2 arenas in Seattle, Tampa and Cincinnati). Then add a bunch of European cities like Dublin, Scotland, Stockholm, Helsinki, Brussels, Munich, Geneva, Lyon, Madrid, Varsovie and so forth).

If she added another 10 stadium dates in Europe, 10 stadium dates in Australia, 7 stadium dates in Japan and another 15 to 20 arena dates in the US and Canada (say 4 dates in Toronto instead of 2, 4 in Montreal instead of 2..her demand is MASSIVE there!!...2 in Dallas, 2 in Seattle, 2 in Tampa, 2 in Cincinatti and 1 in each of the remaining US cities mentioned above) she could break the record for highest grossing tour ever!

Guest boytoyville
Don't know what numbers Celine Dion would have had for her unreported show, but she does have unreported shows, whereas M has had all hers reported. Cher also had some unreported for her Neverending Farewell Tour, so that probably would have brought her above Confessions Tour. But, nonetheless, Sticky & Sweet easily topped whatever her gross would have been (though possibly not number of tickets sold).

I said months ago sticky & sweet would outgross these by a lot. Celine didn't report shows from financially week markets and it probably would have been an embarressment for the promoter to announce them. Even if they were "sold out" her shows in Africa & Korea and the like would have been low... so need not make excuses for her. She was never going to outgross Sticky & Sweet. :)

yeah, there is always next time to break her own record... if the new album drops by last quarter of 2011, her next tour will be summer 2012, lots of M fans are going to rush to buy tickets again after a 3 year absence in the concert circuit...

yeah, there is always next time to break her own record... if the new album drops by last quarter of 2011, her next tour will be summer 2012, lots of M fans are going to rush to buy tickets again after a 3 year absence in the concert circuit...

sorry but last quarter of 2011 it's too late. she'll release her new album in 2010.

What? :noway:

She'll be back on the road in 2010. You betcha!!!! :headbang::madonna2:

No time to lose!

I think both tour and album will be 2010 next time around, actually. LiveNation will probably have a little trick up their sleeve that way - as in release the album the exact same week the tour kicks off, thus minimising useless album promo for M (which we know she doesn't enjoy) and maximising exposure for the album and the tour. Two birds with one stone. They'll probably also sell the new album at the show as well.

OMG I should work for LiveNation.

I think both tour and album will be 2010 next time around, actually. LiveNation will probably have a little trick up their sleeve that way - as in release the album the exact same week the tour kicks off, thus minimising useless album promo for M (which we know she doesn't enjoy) and maximising exposure for the album and the tour. Two birds with one stone. They'll probably also sell the new album at the show as well.

and go to the show without nowing 9 of the songs?

Actually that doesn't sound like a very good marketing plan whatsoever. I don't think I'd hire you to try and sell a boat to a sailor based on that plan.

and go to the show without nowing 9 of the songs?

And? I bet most people who went to S&S didn't own Hard Candy.

My point is if the album is released within weeks of kicking off the world tour it'll all be one big promo wrapped in one, which is really what Madonna (and the industry) is about these days. Albums are now tools to promote tours for artists like her, rather than the other way round.

Then add a bunch of European cities like Dublin, Scotland, Stockholm, Helsinki, Brussels, Munich, Geneva, Lyon, Madrid, Varsovie and so forth).

I've never heard of a city named Scotland? Where is it? :chuckle:

Varsovie also sounds very interesting... did you mean Warsaw?