"Celebration" DVD Discussion

HolidayGuy

The other discussion thread (that started as a poll on who was going to get the DVD) has vanisahed (or maybe it was merged into something else).

Anyhow, I've now watched the entire DVD. What a ride. And pretty great quality, contrary to other reports (it really must have been an Euro thing).

What is clear- and something that M even has owned up to- is that overall, she is not as into making videos as she once was. Watching "Hollywood" through "Celebration" showcases that. How many clips has frolicked on the floor (and ended up there at video's end)? "4 Minutes" was a better effort, but even it pales in comparison to her classic clips- there's just something unsettling about watching M gyrate about and having those "glamour shots" that just about every other video contains (the flesh-eating virus theme at least somewhat separated it from other videos).

Even the fact that the majority of the last 10 clips are pretty pedestrian doesn't detract from the delicious glory of watching her cream-of-the-crop clips (even including the soundtrack ones), and revling in her incomprable output.

I remember in 1991 or so when she did that infamous interview with TV Guide (where she bashed Evansville, Indiana), she said that Prince's latest videos [at the time] were "lazy" - or something to that effect. It's funny how the same can be said of her now.

She does have some real pieces of art on this compilation though. I am still grateful to have them all in one package.

Interesting you mention Prince. Overall, his videos were cheap. There are no real epic videos of his equivalent to Like A Prayer, Express Yourself or Bedtime Story and some are just downright awful. Alphabet St looks like it was made in a 'make your own pop video' booth at a fair. Cream and Gett Off were quite impressive but his output pales into insignificance to Madonna's.

Overall, budgets have been slashed on videos but that shouldn't stop creativity. Hollywood is a great video (to a V. average song). Hung Up and Sorry were themed well but since then her videos have just become more generic. She has a fantastic body of work that will stand the test of time. Better than Jackson's bloated affairs.

I'm hoping now she will take a year off and come back with a storming video, single and album. I just think she needs to rest and find some new inspiration and people to work with.

What is clear- and something that M even has owned up to- is that overall, she is not as into making videos as she once was

Unless it's a back drop for the tour when they're largely upto her usual standard.

I still ain't bought this and won't until the NTSC issue is addressed by Warners. It's such a shame that the whole project is a mess because she'll never have an enduring, staple seller that emcompasses her entire career.

This had never been mentioned in the last thread about the video collection but I gotta give it up to Warner's for a really very good remastering of the audio for these collection. Every synth every chimes and bells are heard distinctly. The depth in the sound is really so fucking good. Worth buying really...... :clap:

Essentuial clips like "Oh Father," "Bad Girl," "Drowned World" and "Nothing Really Matters" thankfully are on the two other home video releases, so, really, we've got everything we need on DVD of her non-tour video releases- even "This Used to Be My Playground," you can get on A League of Their Own special edition DVD. :) "You Must Love Me" remains elusive on North American shores, but it's just her next to a piano and movie clips, so no big loss there.

Now, we wait for elusive tours to be issued on DVD...

Thankfully in Portugal "You Must Love Me" is on "EVITA" DVD and also "This Used To Be My Playground" is on regular edition of "A League of Their Own".

I do think that bad quality of DVD in Europe it's because it's NTSC when DVDs and TVs are PAL. I don't know why have they done that... quite strange... Has anyone seen a PAL release anywhere in the world? I would love to own it...

Guest missy bi_tch

Viewing You'll See, I feel the emotions in me running high and the song brilliantly shows Madonna's depth and emotions...

Soaring.

Guest Danny86
Has anyone seen a PAL release anywhere in the world? I would love to own it...

No, it doesn't exist. Every copy is the same region-free NTSC DVD. Given how low sales are, not surprised they did it like that.

So WB never bothered to release a PAL version of the DVD in Europe?....A market where she's actually still celebrated on the charts? That's fucked up, but I'm not really surprised. I don't blame Madonna, it's WB that just doesn't give a fuck.

Guest Danny86

Most of the players/tvs have no issue with this. It's not an argument that she's celebrated on European charts, if the DVD itself sold around only 10k in the UK, which is the biggest market. In some countries the sales might be around 1000 copies only, but Warner still should have made a PAL version for a handful of people like that, right?

The PAL - NTSC debate is a non issue 2 me.

I have a problem with the colour saturation, interlacing & the fucked up contrast in certain shots..

It's not like u have 2 make an effort 2 notice these things so I wonder what copies people own who say everything is fine.

Which doesn't mean I don't enjoy this collection, I'm just dissapointed about the technical aspects of these 'remasters'.

Content-wise..Only Get Together is truly embarrasing.

I see lack of detail and saturation, probably due to NTSC system...

Actually Pal have more lines and better defenition than NTSC and that's probably why in Europe we notice the lack of quality of the DVD... it's the first NTSC DVD I own... and I own more than 300 DVDs...

The TV is quite new but not the DVD player... though they are multisystem they are PAL optimised. Every other DVD I own (including Madonna DVDs) are PAL and quality it's a lot better.

Im satisfied with the content but to be totaly honest...im very DISAPPOINTED in the QUALITY.

If you watch the VIDEO COLLECTION 93:99 ....the HQ was 100x better. all of the videos on the

93:99 were all crystal clear. the CELEBRATION compilation seems inferior.

ive always been a stickler for clarity...and someone posted before that WARNER condesned the files so that

they could fit as many as possible on each DVD....therefore, compromising picture quality.

fuckers.

I'm pretty finicky when it comes to picture quality on DVDs, and I have no issues with Celebration. Yes, there are a few brief moments where the clips show their age, but nothing horrible and nothing that I wouldn't expect from 25 year old music videos shot on videotape. Either way, they look better than I've ever seen them, and for that I am very happy.

I'm pretty finicky when it comes to picture quality on DVDs, and I have no issues with Celebration. Yes, there are a few brief moments where the clips show their age, but nothing horrible and nothing that I wouldn't expect from 25 year old music videos shot on videotape. Either way, they look better than I've ever seen them, and for that I am very happy.

compare the CELEBRATION RAIN to the 93:99 RAIN

*big difference.

The Only "Flaw" I Found in the CELEBRATION DVD

is the huge Absence of 'Bad Girl' :blink:

I Mean, It is One of Her Best 90's Videos!!!

:dry:

The Quality Really Looks Fine,

on My FlatScreen. I Found No Major Problems There.

I Never Bought 93:99, So Yeah...

No Comment there. :horn:

The DVD quality is brilliant.

Didn't come across any of those problems ppl on this board had whinned about.

Comparing one DVD with another DVD? I rather save my time for something else.

Maybe Canada also had issues, cause "Rain" looked A-OK to me. :vogue:

The only clips that looked a little grainy were the first couple or so, and that's no surprise because of their age. I remember when someone posted that still of "Sorry," but the DVD looks nothing like that- it's sharp for that video (the still must have been from a Euro copy).

I don't get, though, why WB would not release proper formats for different countries- it did it before with the other home video releases, no? So why not now?

Well if i ever find it anywhere , I guess I could comment. I wont buy it online, not paying s/h. Checked Wal-Mart and Best Buy again today , STILL nothing !! ugh

Have you tried Target? Plenty here in Rockland County, NY since Day 1, and was on sale for $20 even last week...

Edited by lennylu

What is clear- and something that M even has owned up to- is that overall, she is not as into making videos as she once was. Watching "Hollywood" through "Celebration" showcases that. How many clips has frolicked on the floor (and ended up there at video's end)?

When I watched the DVD it stood out to me how much she likes being on the floor (a common lyric for her, but literally)... are you saying it happens a lot in recent videos? It starts in Burning Up and never stops.