Hard Candy SoundScan/Billboard 200 Discussion

thebigham

^It was to promote the release of The English Roses. Bits of a couple songs were heard as it went to commercial, etc.- and NF was played as the background during the reading of a letter by someone. Oprah mentioned the album (and the image of the AL single oddly was shown, from what I remember. haha)

Thanks. So just another bla bla and some music in background and AL did +15%. We can imagine if she sings. Why does she never sing there? If I am not wrong last time she sang at Oprah was for ROL.

That is correct, that was the only time she's performed on Oprah. She avoided the show for 10 years before first appearing in late 1996, then appeared for two more full hours, and then, half a show talking about the adoption. So, four appearances in all, one performance show.

Guest aramis
Well, for those who get off at other people's "misfortunes" and since Mimi always has been about charts and sales, I guess it LOL-worthy for them. Sure, E=MC2 is a commercial disappointment (at 4.7m units less than its predecessor), but Mimi isn't lacking for funds, I'm sure.

Whether it is their personality or music.

Who would think that the same girl who sang ‘Hero’ would be doing something as 'interesting' as ‘Touch My Body’?

And Madonna..the 'Ray Of Light' Madonna or 'Hard Candy' Madonna?

from its 22nd week onwards AL sold 90,000 to get to 670,00? must have sold well for a few weeks ...

Week 22:

178 MADONNA HARD CANDY 3,330 -12% 647,552

102 MADONNA CONFESSIONS 12,280 -7% 1,414,728

DNC MADONNA AMERICAN LIFE 4,542 +15% 586,179

Guest boytoyville

Hope the album gets a tiny boost from all the postive press from the NJ show & upcoming NY shows and hangs around the bottom half of the chart for awhile!

aramis, not sure what you mean RE Mimi- what exactly is "interesting" about TMB? It's not some new sound for her othr anything- and it's fitting with her juvenile mentality in song.

fak, that was October 2003- five years ago. AL continued scanning 1K+ through the end of the year. And when RIT started in May 2004, it was still doing 800-900/week.

Move on to what? The album is finished, in terms of spawning hit singles. But, M's on tour and performing nine of the 12 tracks, so the album possibly may linger a little longer.

Do you enjoy the album? If so, don't worry about its chart/sales showing. If you don't enjoy it, then what's the difference, anyway? :)

Guest Johnkm
Do you enjoy the album? If so, don't worry about its chart/sales showing. If you don't enjoy it, then what's the difference, anyway?

:thumbsup: Exactly

i just want this album to die so we can all move on.

Hard Candy will never "DIE". For those of us that love the album, the songs will live on in us just like any other Madonna release. I could care less about how many copies it sells. It's all about the 'music'. :thumbsup:

Hard Candy will never "DIE". For those of us that love the album, the songs will live on in us just like any other Madonna release. I could care less about how many copies it sells. It's all about the 'music'. :thumbsup:

Cool beans. Wrong thread. :thumbsup:

Well, this is a charts thread, so anyone checking it must care about sales at least a little.

Well, this is a charts thread, so anyone checking it must care about sales at least a little.

i agree, I don´t come to this thread to talk about the quality of the album.I don´t mind if that happens, but I come here to know the facts about its sales

Hang on it indeed does.

Amidst lots of debuts, HC drops just four spots, to No. 182 in its 23rd week. It scanned 3,575 units (up 7%), for a cume of 651,127.

This is the the first week the album sees an increase.

Amidst lots of debuts, HC drops just four spots, to No. 182 in its 23rd week. It scanned 3,575 units (up 7%), for a cume of 651,127.

This is the the first week the album sees an increase.

And after only 1 day of sales effect from the NJ show. A small victory, but a victory none the less. And also ranking above Mariah this week (#195).

Yes- you can see the impact Confessions Tour had on COADF (i updated the second post on page 1). I think 10% was the biggest percentage gain- and then most other weeks were small declines or small gains.

Guest FrozenLight

that's great...hopefully it will be able to stay on the charts while she is touring the US...who knows maybe it will last a total of 30 weeks on the BB200...wishfull thinking but possible no?!?

Hi everyone! :)

This is my first time to post here... but I've been a Madonna fan since the BEGINNING..

Anyway, I don't think HC would ever get much of a bump (if at all) due to the S&ST. Most of the tour-goers are long time fans who may have already bought the cd. I think that in today's market, there are few casual fans attending concerts (who are thus encouraged to buy cds after the show).. Also, I think Madonna fans or even converts might just actually wait for the tour DVD rather than the promoted cd if they liked the show so much...

I hope I'm wrong, though...

Guest hotstickyandsweet
And after only 1 day of sales effect from the NJ show. A small victory, but a victory none the less. And also ranking above Mariah this week (#195).

Rejoice Madonna fans!!! Mariah Piggy is on her way out! Hard Candy will in fact survive the 30 week total on the BB charts. With all the stadiums this tour I can assure all of you the sales increase will be larger than Confessions Tour. Way more people to reach this time around.

This is my first time to post here... but I've been a Madonna fan since the BEGINNING..

Anyway, I don't think HC would ever get much of a bump (if at all) due to the S&ST. Most of the tour-goers are long time fans who may have already bought the cd. I think that in today's market, there are few casual fans attending concerts (who are thus encouraged to buy cds after the show).. Also, I think Madonna fans or even converts might just actually wait for the tour DVD rather than the promoted cd if they liked the show so much...

Certainly in Britain, I think there are a lot of casual fans attending. Where I was there were loads. Big concerts by artists like Madonna are seen as a kind of event like a theatre play. They know they will get a lot of hits (hopefully!) so will be guaranteed a pretty good show.

Madonna always used to tour after an album was released for a while so more people would know her new stuff. I think we are likely to see more album sales in countries where she has not toured so often like in Latin America.

Welcome aboard. HC definitely has the potential so see big increase but that would be wishful thinking - some peoples tours have done great for album sales.

Touring and publicity go hand in hand. M will be all over the music news.

I wonder if there will be an increase in radio playing some of her older stuff.

Hard Candy SoundScan

SDV: 741

5/17: 1 MADONNA HARD CANDY 279,522 280,273

5/24: 3 MADONNA HARD CANDY 94,177 -66.3% 374,450

5/31: 8 MADONNA HARD CANDY 53,302 -43% 427,752

6/07: 9 MADONNA HARD CANDY 38,632 -28% 466,384

6/14: 11 MADONNA HARD CANDY 31,791 -18% 498,175

6/21: 14 MADONNA HARD CANDY 26,925 -15% 525,100

6/28: 31 MADONNA HARD CANDY 19,149 -32% 544,249

7/05: 36 MADONNA HARD CANDY 14,294 -25% 558,543

7/12: 46 MADONNA HARD CANDY 11,867 -17% 570,410

7/19: 57 MADONNA HARD CANDY 10,524 -11% 580,934

7/26: 63 MADONNA HARD CANDY 9,027 -14% 589,961

8/02: 69 MADONNA HARD CANDY 8,613 -5% 598,574

8/09: 85 MADONNA HARD CANDY 7,259 -16% 605,833

8/16: 95 MADONNA HARD CANDY 6,326 -13% 612,159

8/23: 110 MADONNA HARD CANDY 5,758 -9% 617,917

8/30: 116 MADONNA HARD CANDY 5,131 -11% 623,048

9/06: 130 MADONNA HARD CANDY 4,905 -4% 627,953

9/13: 118 MADONNA HARD CANDY 4,754 -3% 632,707

9/20: 146 MADONNA HARD CANDY 3,893 -18% 636,600

9/27: 148 MADONNA HARD CANDY 3,853 -1% 640,453

10/4: 160 MADONNA HARD CANDY 3,769 -2% 644,222

10/11: 178 MADONNA HARD CANDY 3,330 -12% 647,552

10/18: 183 MADONNA HARD CANDY 3,575 +7% 3,330 651,127 - 23 weeks

Sales next week will be 4,000? That would meana 12% gain or so- check out page 1, post 2 to see how COADF was impacted by The Confessions Tour- sales likely won't move up that much (and especially then to 4,500)- it would be pretty surprising.