MADONNA SoundScan Sales- 2007/2008

HolidayGuy

W/E 5/4/08

Some titles aren't two years old (i.e. TCT), but just lumping eveyrthing together.

1. The Immaculate Collection: 5,514

2. Confessions on a Dance Floor: 2,564

3. GHV2: 556 (includes 184 of what appears to be digital- it's listed separately)

4. The Confessions Tour: 484

5. Ray of Light: 411

6. Like a Virgin: 247

7. Madonna: 272

8. True Blue: 190

9. Music: 176

10. The Immaculate Collection (Video): 164

11. Something to Remember 147

12. Like a Prayer: 145

13. Erotica: 138

14. American Life: 121

15. Bedtime Stories: 109

16. I'm Going to Tell You a Secret: 104

17. Girlie Show: 102

18. Ciao Italia: 93

19. Remixed and Revisited (EP): 82

20. Jump: 79

21. You Can Dance: 72

22. I'm Breathless: 65

23. The Video Collection: 59

24. Get Together: 51

25. Sorry: 47

26. Drowned World Tour: 46

27. Hung Up: 39

thanks, hg. these must be physical sales. i am sure there are digital sales as well.

TIC could have a hard sales tally near 8 million- 5.65m tracked by SS, maybe another 1.5m pre-SoundScan (since it probably sold very well through holidays 1990). Then there's record clubs and all.

No up-to-date digital tallies as of yet.

GroovyG, album sales reports do include digital numbers (except GHV2's digital is listed separately, hence my adding them together).

Great to see sales updates again..Thanks Holidayguy.

I noticed IC was on sale this weekend up until today at Amazon for $5.00 Digital version only..hopefully that will help sales a bit

Guest marsha
Did The Immaculate Collection sell more than 8,000,000 in the usa??? if it's got 10P from RIAA

love your avatar :thumbsup:

Any idea why COADF saw such a boost?? That's GREAT numbers for that album. The number 200 album on the main chart probably isn't too far off from those numbers no?

hopefully HC will scan more than 1 million... did confessions get 2nd platinum? deserves it i think..

No it hasn't!!! :rant: AND it's WAY overdue....come on WB! They need to certify ALL of her albums in need of it for the last time, cuz if they don't now goodness knows they never will.

Guest danielal

Wow realy

I know albums that have sold a little over 8 million and R certified Diamond for 10 million copies shifted

In fact to give you an example almost all of Whoriah Crazey's albums are overcertified by a margin going from 300k up to even 1000 000k

So of course it can be certified 2 Platinum

Still dont quite understand how certifications are issued. I know record companies have to apply for them. Even for Madonna albums we have BTS which sold 2.3 but it it 3xplatinum, whereas COADF reached almost 1.7 and still 1xplat.

they should change album cretifications: they did it back in the day when singles sales were very low, during the eighties 1.000.000 copies sold from a single was only a gold single, and then it became platinum. Maybe they should do the same with LPs: 500.000 platinum.What do you think? becuase it´s going to be more and more difficult to have a platinum-multiplatinum album, and RIAA won´t have a lot of job!

^They won't change it.

In the past year, the RIAA has certified albums, 4xp, 5xp, 6xp and 7xp.

And, album certifications are way down. Record companies do not pay for re-certifications anymore. I have a list of over 120 albums that could be re-certified.

The RIAA is funded by the major record companies.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure of sales (probably around 3,800 or so), but The Immaculate Collection drops 35-39 on Top Pop Catalog for 5/31- the album has spent 423 cumulative weeks on the albums charts (141 weeks BB 200/282 weeks top 50 catalog).

It had re-entered the top 50 a couple weeks ago at No. 15 (it had been absent from the top50 since September2005, when M's catalog hit iTunes).

Guest Hafo

Some physical sale updates from 2 weeks ago, from CHC Media forum. Sorry if it's been posted b4:

MADONNA 4 MINUTES 5,052 1,762 -65.1% 8,078

MADONNA JUMP 79 61 -22.8% 20,419

MADONNA SORRY 47 30 -36.2% 31,250

MADONNA GET TOGETHER 51 27 -47.1% 21,892

Guest nothingfails0603

I don't understand why certifications are so late and down these days when I remember back when they couldn't wait to recertify albums. And albums used to be certified for what they shipped, now they're certified for sold, and even then, they're late on that. If Erotica deserved a 2x when it was at 1.3 million, COADF deserves a 2x IMO.

Because profits are down. Record companies are cheap nowadays. When profits were up, albums were re-certifed. Catalog audits were done. Not anymore...

50 Cent's last album was never certified. It has sold over 1 milion.

Jordin Sparks album hasn't been certified yet. Same with Soulja Boy, Britney Spears, Mary J Blige...

Erotica was certified double platinum out of the box- expectations were high, it's just that the album didn't meet those expectations- it stood at 1 nearly 1.38m scanned when it dropped off the BB 200 after 53 weeks.

I don't understand why certifications are so late and down these days when I remember back when they couldn't wait to recertify albums. And albums used to be certified for what they shipped, now they're certified for sold, and even then, they're late on that. If Erotica deserved a 2x when it was at 1.3 million, COADF deserves a 2x IMO.

Erotica's first shipment was probably 2 million or more so they were able to certify 2X right away. With sales down and less stores to stock (or overstock) shipments and certs are going to come closer together now.

yes, Erotica´s expectations were big, really big, so they overcertified it.Also, back in the day you could expect an album that have sold 1.500.000 and by a big artist as her to eventually sell 2 million copies, but nowadays it´s not that sure, because people are buying digital or illegal stuff

• 3 weeks later...

W/E 6/8/08

Totals for albums, singles, videos. Digital tallies only included if it's a digital album or single (i.e. a digital maxi). The "4 Minutes" maxi scanned 889 units (all configurations).

1. The Immaculate Collection: 2,727

2. Confessions on a Dance Floor: 714 (1.673 million cume)

3. The Confessions Tour: 282

4. GHV2: 275

5. The Immaculate Collection (Video): 208

6. Ray of Light: 189

7. Madonna: 174

8. Like a Virgin: 167

9. The Video Collection 93:99: 133

10. Girlie Show: 121

11. Ciao Italia: 116

12. True Blue: 106

13. Erotica: 89

14. Music: 83