'I thought this was a hoax': Patient, 30, dies after attending 'COVID party,' doctor says

horn

'I thought this was a hoax': Patient, 30, dies after attending 'COVID party,' doctor says
Joel Shannon | USA TODAY | Jul 11 2020

A Texas doctor says a 30-year-old patient died after attending a "COVID party," believing the coronavirus pandemic was a hoax.

The patient, who was treated at a San Antonio hospital, is just one of thousands to test positive in the state in recent days. On Saturday, Texas state officials reported a record 10,351 daily new cases.

"We cared for a 30-year-old patient at Methodist Hospital who told their nurse that they had attended a 'COVID party.' ... Just before the patient died, they looked at their nurse and said 'I think I made a mistake. I thought this was a hoax, but it's not,'" said Dr. Jane Appleby in a video statement obtained by USA TODAY. Appleby is the chief medical officer for Methodist Healthcare in San Antonio.

Appleby said the parties are held by those skeptical of the virus and include someone who has previously tested positive. Attendees go to see "if the virus is real and if anyone gets infected." 

'This is no joke':Man died of coronavirus day after saying he regretted attending a party

Similar parties have been reported in other areas of the nation, including Alabama and Kentucky. 

Young people are increasingly catching and spreading the novel virus. People under 45 made up 42% of cases before Memorial Day weekend but 55% of cases reported since then, a USA TODAY analysis found in late June.

Although COVID-19 has been known mainly for its impact on seniors, experts said the disease can debilitate patients in young age cohorts as well. And they warned that an expansion in cases among younger people ultimately threatens any vulnerable person with whom they come in contact.

Methodist Hospital is currently treating multiple COVID-19 patients in their 20s and 30s, Appleby said. Some may require intensive care, she said.

Appleby urged Texans to wear a mask, stay at home when possible and avoid spending time with groups of people.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/07/11/texas-patient-30-dies-after-attending-covid-party-doctor-says/5422175002/

a family friend of mine (super lefty, very alternative) believes it's a hoax, that bill gates is behind it and that it'll be mandatory to get the vaccine (with a secret chip in it, cuz he's the Microsoft guy!)

I'm cool with people asking questions, but usually these conspiracy theorists believe everything these nuts on the web claim without a single doubt. and they're always so eager to let everyone know how wrong everyone else is. 😏

He got what he deserved. I have no mercy for these stupid people who put others' lives at risk by believing the stupidest conspiracy theories they can read on social media.

Sadly with this disease some stupid people get no symptoms and others who are not to blame are in ventilators. I don't wish bad things to happen but those saying is a hoax or not taking care really are scum in my eyes

I think believing in conspiracy theories stems from arrogance thinking a pandemic could never ever happen. People like to blame someone else for the bad things that has been happening. It is so convenient for them accuse Bill Gates rather than accepting that the world atm is not in a good shape. 

20 hours ago, xtaticboy82 said:

I think believing in conspiracy theories stems from arrogance thinking a pandemic could never ever happen. People like to blame someone else for the bad things that has been happening. It is so convenient for them accuse Bill Gates rather than accepting that the world atm is not in a good shape. 

Yep, it's a basic misunderstanding of science, and a disconnection from the natural world. We as a species thought we were above this, so we point fingers.

I knew this was really really serious when my sister and I saw a UFO outside, around early march.

That kind of stuff only shows up when the big ship is sinking...