Jump to content
MadonnaNation.com Forums

Brexit / British politics thread ūü§°


Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, Kim said:

Any normal person would be raging if someone had falsely accused them of this, but you can tell from this reply that he obviously did say it... the pressure's starting to ramp up on old Bozo when even The Daily Fail is starting to question his conduct.

 

It is so horrible, evil and heartless.  .Something that I would imagine Stalin, Hitler or Pol Pot ( absolute evil ) saying. Is that terrible and chilling. Horrific to even contemplate the current leader of a democracy in 2021 saying that. So unbelievably abhorrent 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Also, how do the public in the UK tolerate this government ?  It is crazy.  It seems as if he is still accepted by so many. Just crazy stuff. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jazzy Jan said:

Also, how do the public in the UK tolerate this government ?  It is crazy.  It seems as if he is still accepted by so many. Just crazy stuff. 

Because¬†everyone‚Äôs numb to it after decades¬†of¬†Tory rule and ideology (considering¬†‚ÄúNew‚Ä̬†Labour‚Äôs essentially¬†Thatcherite politics). ¬†Society‚Äôs become overly commercialised, materialistic and¬†competitive. ¬†We‚Äôre¬†insular, siloed¬†and selfish with little true regard or empathy¬†for our fellow man and the society that Thatcher denied and ultimately dismantled. ¬†Add to that the outdated perception of us as a world leading empire *salute*. ¬†Sprinkle¬†endless invocations¬†of a war that started almost 100 years ago *double salute*. ¬†Stir¬†with¬†a¬†toothless media,¬†mostly controlled by the filthy rich and run by the¬†sneeringly¬†NIMBY¬†middle class,¬†and you end up with the current apathetic shitshow as everyone, including an ‚Äúaspirational‚ÄĚ and ‚Äúsocially mobile‚ÄĚ working class,¬†sighs¬†‚Äúoh well‚ÄĚ and plays along in the misbegotten¬†hope of becoming a one-percenter. ¬†I have high hopes for Gen Z though.

Link to post
Share on other sites

To be honest, half the society in many countries tolerate every crazy or horrible thing from conservatives, for fear that the left parties bring more immigration or whatever they fear.

Nowadays the president of the Madrid autonomy in Spain is a female trump, absolutely crazy and half the people there vote her for fear of some imaginary communism that the left parties would bring. 

Only if the leftist people mobilise to vote en masse will those politicians go, as it happened in USA. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, karbatal said:

To be honest, half the society in many countries tolerate every crazy or horrible thing from conservatives, for fear that the left parties bring more immigration or whatever they fear.

Nowadays the president of the Madrid autonomy in Spain is a female trump, absolutely crazy and half the people there vote her for fear of some imaginary communism that the left parties would bring. 

Only if the leftist people mobilise to vote en masse will those politicians go, as it happened in USA. 

I never understood conservatism really... if someone is stuck in the past, what’s the ideal? Absolutism? Wasn’t then when all but the sun king/ruler fucked? Why are they fearing progress?

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, karbatal said:

To be honest, half the society in many countries tolerate every crazy or horrible thing from conservatives, for fear that the left parties bring more immigration or whatever they fear.

Nowadays the president of the Madrid autonomy in Spain is a female trump, absolutely crazy and half the people there vote her for fear of some imaginary communism that the left parties would bring. 

Only if the leftist people mobilise to vote en masse will those politicians go, as it happened in USA. 

the people I know that are going vote for her, are going to do it because they think she has kept the pubs opened¬†¬†ūüė∂

Link to post
Share on other sites

There was a time (though it's getting harder to remember outside of a historical context) when members of high office would have to resign over things like this. it's obvious from his character and the response from those around him that he said it. This is also notwithstanding the endless corruption allegations.

He's an absolute horror show but what's more concerning is that the boundaries of acceptable behaviour just continues to be eroded away. it was uncomfortable under Cameron and embarrassing with May but this is another level of shit. And he's not the worst of it either, his cabinet is filled with some of the grimmest lowlifes ever to speak publicly. I love the UK, sadly it's becoming unrecognisable under these people. And where is the opposition? It's so disheartening.  At least the Democrats  actively opposed Trump, Boris is being allowed to run riot.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, elijah said:

I never understood conservatism really... if someone is stuck in the past, what’s the ideal? Absolutism? Wasn’t then when all but the sun king/ruler fucked? Why are they fearing progress?

In fact, those nostalgic of Franco in Spain call "progres" as an insult in Spain :lmao:

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, promise to try said:

the people I know that are going vote for her, are going to do it because they think she has kept the pubs opened¬†¬†ūüė∂

At the cost of thousands of lives. 

Absolutely horrid people

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, funkydita said:

Because¬†everyone‚Äôs numb to it after decades¬†of¬†Tory rule and ideology (considering¬†‚ÄúNew‚Ä̬†Labour‚Äôs essentially¬†Thatcherite politics). ¬†Society‚Äôs become overly commercialised, materialistic and¬†competitive. ¬†We‚Äôre¬†insular, siloed¬†and selfish with little true regard or empathy¬†for our fellow man and the society that Thatcher denied and ultimately dismantled. ¬†Add to that the outdated perception of us as a world leading empire *salute*. ¬†Sprinkle¬†endless invocations¬†of a war that started almost 100 years ago *double salute*. ¬†Stir¬†with¬†a¬†toothless media,¬†mostly controlled by the filthy rich and run by the¬†sneeringly¬†NIMBY¬†middle class,¬†and you end up with the current apathetic shitshow as everyone, including an ‚Äúaspirational‚ÄĚ and ‚Äúsocially mobile‚ÄĚ working class,¬†sighs¬†‚Äúoh well‚ÄĚ and plays along in the misbegotten¬†hope of becoming a one-percenter. ¬†I have high hopes for Gen Z though.

Sums it all up perfectly!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

O mundo! 

E selvagem! 

 

is all I can say about the state of the UK at present! 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/28/2021 at 5:03 AM, funkydita said:

Because¬†everyone‚Äôs numb to it after decades¬†of¬†Tory rule and ideology (considering¬†‚ÄúNew‚Ä̬†Labour‚Äôs essentially¬†Thatcherite politics). ¬†Society‚Äôs become overly commercialised, materialistic and¬†competitive. ¬†We‚Äôre¬†insular, siloed¬†and selfish with little true regard or empathy¬†for our fellow man and the society that Thatcher denied and ultimately dismantled. ¬†Add to that the outdated perception of us as a world leading empire *salute*. ¬†Sprinkle¬†endless invocations¬†of a war that started almost 100 years ago *double salute*. ¬†Stir¬†with¬†a¬†toothless media,¬†mostly controlled by the filthy rich and run by the¬†sneeringly¬†NIMBY¬†middle class,¬†and you end up with the current apathetic shitshow as everyone, including an ‚Äúaspirational‚ÄĚ and ‚Äúsocially mobile‚ÄĚ working class,¬†sighs¬†‚Äúoh well‚ÄĚ and plays along in the misbegotten¬†hope of becoming a one-percenter. ¬†I have high hopes for Gen Z though.

Thank you for your great reply.  

The apathy around Boris himself is terrifying, yet alone the entire government.  I always feel depressed when reading about English politics because nothing seems to stir up anger like it should.  This excuse for a leader should be attracting shame and anger on mass. When people just shrug dreadful events off, they continue and get worse. 
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Carey said:

There was a time (though it's getting harder to remember outside of a historical context) when members of high office would have to resign over things like this. it's obvious from his character and the response from those around him that he said it. This is also notwithstanding the endless corruption allegations.

He's an absolute horror show but what's more concerning is that the boundaries of acceptable behaviour just continues to be eroded away. it was uncomfortable under Cameron and embarrassing with May but this is another level of shit. And he's not the worst of it either, his cabinet is filled with some of the grimmest lowlifes ever to speak publicly. I love the UK, sadly it's becoming unrecognisable under these people. And where is the opposition? It's so disheartening.  At least the Democrats  actively opposed Trump, Boris is being allowed to run riot.

I was shocked when Boris won by so much in the last election.  He did not answer questions during the election campaign and his history as a lying opportunistic was well known.  He is a shocking speaker, has no concrete plans or vision and his response to Covid has been appalling.  He is worse than Trump now because at least the world was awake to the fact Trump was a narcissist and unhinged idiot. Boris just gets away with everything. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Very interesting thread. How on earth now society seems to cope with such scandals and incompetence (dangerous incompetence) is really worrying. 

Not so long ago people were more aware of the situation. Somehow it seems to be social media what has changed the landscape.

The UK government has been lucky that the vaccine rollout has been smooth and that one single dose of the vaccine brought results. If not, the amount of bad decisions would have been catastrophic. I guess that herd immunity is Boris only lifesaver.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Same poll shows that lead extending among the  'working class' to 48% for the Tories. I guess you have to give them props for pulling off such a magnificent con. Are they putting something in the (disgusting) drinking water down there?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

There's no credible opposition in England to the Tories. It's pretty dangerous and uncharted territory really. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Suedehead said:

There's no credible opposition in England to the Tories. It's pretty dangerous and uncharted territory really. 

 

I feel like the same is happening here in Australia ūüė©

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Kim said:

Same poll shows that lead extending among the  'working class' to 48% for the Tories. I guess you have to give them props for pulling off such a magnificent con. Are they putting something in the (disgusting) drinking water down there?

 

This is one of the most depressing things possible to read. That working class people are going along aimlessly with governments that don’t even pretend to care about them. 

8 hours ago, Suedehead said:

There's no credible opposition in England to the Tories. It's pretty dangerous and uncharted territory really. 

 

 

3 hours ago, San said:

I feel like the same is happening here in Australia ūüė©

Scary as hell. 
 

@San  if Australia leaves Scotty from marketing and his corrupt party in power in the next election, I despair for our future. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

This is one of the most depressing things possible to read. That working class people are going along aimlessly with governments that don’t even pretend to care about them. 

 

Scary as hell. 
 

@San  if Australia leaves Scotty from marketing and his corrupt party in power in the next election, I despair for our future. 

I think it's all but certain. The LNP are far better at painting Labour as the bad guys than the other way round. Years...decades...of eroding critical thinking and distracting people from important issues with greed/envy mean that the majority of the voting public are incapable of making the right choices for the greater good.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Labour's collapse continues spectacularly in England...as the turkeys continue to vote for Christmas.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Fewer and fewer vote ideas. Nowadays most vote so immigrants don't come and whatever the conservative fearmongers have spread through social media with bots. That's happening in many countries. The conservative can kill children and people would vote so "communism isn't established" or "my country is great again" or "fuck the leftist and feminists". 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, karbatal said:

Fewer and fewer vote ideas. Nowadays most vote so immigrants don't come and whatever the conservative fearmongers have spread through social media with bots. That's happening in many countries. The conservative can kill children and people would vote so "communism isn't established" or "my country is great again" or "fuck the leftist and feminists". 

It's more the collapse of Labour I'm interested in. England has historically been a Tory country, it's not a surprise that it still is, but there's never been ZERO opposition before. They rejected Corbyn's socialist agenda and Starmer's Tory-lite isn't breaking through either.

Any Labour voters in here? Who do progressive English people vote for?

Currently watching the Scottish parliament results coming through. Night and day with south of the border!

Link to post
Share on other sites

QUEEN NIC accosted by right wing scum yesterday. Today they get a pathetic 46 votes. We love to see it!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

And as for WALES, @funkyditawhat's this I¬†hear about Leanne Wood losing her seat?¬†ūüė쬆

Loved these three together..

w5oz9lmkfd1to4hql339x2d3mbjm17.jpeg.gallery.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Kim said:

Labour's collapse continues spectacularly in England...as the turkeys continue to vote for Christmas.

 

So depressing.  Boris is a bumbling corrupt idiot and his party is heartless. Yet everyone is voting for him. Working class who vote for the Tories are voting against their interests. It is like the workers voting for pay cuts and loss of conditions at work in favour of bonuses for their bosses.  
 

Something else that is frightening is how many people now think anyone who votes for the opposition are dangerous crazy lefties. The media has been pushing that agenda for so long now and it has seeped in. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

So depressing.  Boris is a bumbling corrupt idiot and his party is heartless. Yet everyone is voting for him. Working class who vote for the Tories are voting against their interests. It is like the workers voting for pay cuts and loss of conditions at work in favour of bonuses for their bosses.  
 

Something else that is frightening is how many people now think anyone who votes for the opposition are dangerous crazy lefties. The media has been pushing that agenda for so long now and it has seeped in. 

Especially when 2020 was the perfect example that conservative measures DON'T WORK AND ARE DANGEROUS. 

Cuttings in health care, lack of money for furlough... Left politics is what kept many countries from misery. Just look at Americans with Trump.

And jet, conservatives are winning. 

Frankly, people are getting more and more stupid by the hour.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Kim said:

And as for WALES, @funkyditawhat's this I¬†hear about Leanne Wood losing her seat?¬†ūüė쬆

Loved these three together..

w5oz9lmkfd1to4hql339x2d3mbjm17.jpeg.gallery.jpg

HUNS.  I was really sad not to grab tickets when they reformed with Siobhan.

Yes, I read that Leanne lost her seat, at least (sort of) she lost to Labour.  Being from a staunchly Plaid family in a Welsh speaking and Plaid voting area, I’ll never understand the self-flagellation of voting Tory in Wales (let alone the Welsh Brexit voters from areas subsidised by Europe).

Regarding England, have to say, I mostly blame Labour for the latest shitshow, they‚Äôve been such an imploding and aimless mess for years. ¬†It¬†feels like we‚Äôre operating without an¬†Opposition. ¬†I do wonder to what extent the pandemic has oddly helped the government, irrespective of the absolute¬†fuckery,¬†sleazy corruption and, y‚Äôknow,¬†DEATHS, their profile this last year has been¬†omnipresent and the narrative felt like it shifted considerably after the vaccine (giving ammunition to the¬†Brexit lot and making it seem like Johnson had some kind of purpose). ¬†I also wonder if¬†the weaponisation of ‚Äúwoke‚ÄĚ and fuelling of culture wars by the socially conservative media, particularly with regards to gender, race and fucking statues¬†has caused a doubling down of older and more socially conservative¬†voters? ¬†Add to all of that an ageing population and¬†apathetic younger voters, the results aren‚Äôt¬†a huge surprise. The fear is that we‚Äôre now stuck with the cunts.

As an aside - I thought this article gave an interesting perspective on the influence of age in the current voting situation.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Very interesting article @funkydita  

Excuse my ignorance as don't live in the UK,  but Labour must be absolutely appalling if people are choosing Boris over them.   His response to Covid has been disgraceful.  So many deaths on his watch.  The corruption on top of that.  Has the vaccine roll out saved him or was he on the way to victory without it ?    

Where did Labour go wrong ?  Is there no hunger amongst the UK people to have an alternative party that has different values ?   Are people really that apathetic that they just accept Boris and his corrupt inept party as decision makers in their future.  Surely there must be some passionate people who want to lift Labour back into serious opposition.  

 Every time I see Boris on television,  I just think how dreadful he is and how the UK must shudder to have him as his leader but he seems so popular.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...