Jump to content

STREAMING/SALES strategy and discussion


Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, Who Is That Girl? said:

Hi Jazzy Jan, the album will do well but the singles have always been the problem since she left Warners, if she was still there (Warners) we would not be having conversations about chart anxiety as she would have healthy promo and radio support, the album all do well. I think leaving Warners was her single biggest career mistake, Madonna is in uncharted territory, pardon the pun, there has never been a superstar of her stauture still releasing daring new original material over 60 years of age and being a woman, the fact that she can still generate the global buzz and have the number 2 iTunes sales single currently is incredible (Beyonce) is number 30 approx. I find that fact extremely interesting but I digress. Madonna needs label support in AUS/NZ otherwise it becomes a case of here today gone tomorrow.

So true. I feel that a lot of international members might not fully realize how Madonna dominated charts, radios and sales in Australia for decades. Was the biggest music star of all completely in Australia. For example,  Hung up was a number one smash that dominated everything and everyone also had a copy of COADF. 4 minutes was a smash.  Even American pie and MATM hit number one here and were huge.

All changed in a blink of an eye when MDNA was released and had no promotion whatsoever.  No radio support, no promotion. Madonna can dominate again, just needs some decent promotion.  I hope that happens. Eurovision will help too as Australia loves Eurovision and are competing. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Braby said:

I wouldn't worry too much about it yet. I can't see any malice. It only premiered yesterday. She should, at the very least, get C-list on Radio 2. Someone over at PopJustice who works for the BBC says she's penciled in for Graham Norton again around May/June as well as a seperate primetime special, probably part of the "... at the BBC" strand. So they will give either this, or the next single, a major push. 👍 

 

 

what's "at the BBC"?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Confessit said:

I agree but I do think the new PR company is helping and Madonna obviously has her eye on the prize hiring a mega streaming force like Maluma.

Theres another 8 weeks until June 14th and Madame X dropping. Next week she is starting promo with the Q&A in London and the first music video then in quick succession single number 2 then the massive exposure and press she will get in quick succession again from the Eurovision so the promo campaign from the little we know is set up to be a real good backbone to bring her back to the masses and let everyone know Madonna has a new record out......something seriously lacking with RH.

Interscope haven't just ignored Australia I feel your pain it's the same here in the U.K.were tumbleweed appears when Madonnas new music is usually dropped but this time the stars are aligning.

 

:thumbsup:  agree. Yes, hopeful that promotion will be huge this time when album is released. Madonna is a superstar that should always be celebrated. She is that one star in a million and always should be thought of as that. 

Feeling great things about Madame X, love the single and want the world to celebrate this new era completely too. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Nikki said:

I would've preferred Jonathan ross.

I find Ross dry where as Graham is much more loose and funny with his guests. But each to their own she is odds on to do one of them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Nikki said:

I would've preferred Jonathan ross.

UK members would know a lot more than me, but I think Graham Norton is the most popular and talked about chat show ?  His show has a big following in Australia so am presuming the same for UK. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Jazzy Jan said:

UK members would know a lot more than me, but I think Graham Norton is the most popular and talked about chat show ?  His show has a big following in Australia so am presuming the same for UK. 

I'd say they are in par in terms of popularity and viewership. But I think Graham is more popular outside the U.K. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

She can ask him why the radio station he works for A lists Bryan Adams and Bananarama over her who are actually older than her . Big vendetta against her in uk since guy divorce . 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Jazzy Jan said:

UK members would know a lot more than me, but I think Graham Norton is the most popular and talked about chat show ?  His show has a big following in Australia so am presuming the same for UK. 

I think you're right that graham may be more popular worldwide.. Jonathan is more old school and local. still, the best interviews are with Jonathan.. the producers/editors there also didn't edit her to make her seem bitchy, which graham's people did (I heard they cut a lot of jokes and the dolls moment with fans was actually very sweet)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Confessit said:

I agree but I do think the new PR company is helping and Madonna obviously has her eye on the prize hiring a mega streaming force like Maluma.

Theres another 8 weeks until June 14th and Madame X dropping. Next week she is starting promo with the Q&A in London and the first music video then in quick succession single number 2 then the massive exposure and press she will get in quick succession again from the Eurovision so the promo campaign from the little we know is set up to be a real good backbone to bring her back to the masses and let everyone know Madonna has a new record out......something seriously lacking with RH.

Interscope haven't just ignored Australia I feel your pain it's the same here in the U.K.were tumbleweed appears when Madonnas new music is usually dropped but this time the stars are aligning.

 

I like what you are saying, I just think if Maluma is such a streaming force why is it not being streamed, no where is it on Apple music? I just don't get the strategies with Madonna, don't get me wrong the promo has been slick but why wait a week to drop the clip? Whats the point? Its just so infuriating that we even have to discuss this sort of stuff regarding the biggest female music act of all time, it should just happen, its like the lights went out with her Midas touch regarding getting the music to the masses the moment she left Warners, I don't think the struggle commercially in an almost independent capacity was worth the trade off for world tours with Live Nation, she would have sold out tours regardless. That said, the world is a very different place the fact that we are debating Madonna's commercial success for new material in literally her 7th decade (in nine short years she will be 70) is pretty astonishing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Who Is That Girl? said:

I like what you are saying, I just think if Maluma is such a streaming force why is it not being streamed, no where is it on Apple music? I just don't get the strategies with Madonna, don't get me wrong the promo has been slick but why wait a week to drop the clip? Whats the point? Its just so infuriating that we even have to discuss this sort of stuff regarding the biggest female music act of all time, it should just happen, its like the lights went out with her Midas touch regarding getting the music to the masses the moment she left Warners, I don't think the struggle commercially in an almost independent capacity was worth the trade off for world tours with Live Nation, she would have sold out tours regardless. That said, the world is a very different place the fact that we are debating Madonna's commercial success for new material in literally her 7th decade (in nine short years she will be 70) is pretty astonishing.

He is a massive streaming/online force and I think that's why the numbers have gone into millions of views of YouTube in 2 days plus the song has shot to number 1 in double figure countries now on iTunes because people are discovering it's a great song worth having.

I agree about the video coming out next week but remember, the momentoum is growing and she has promo line up next week to coincide the music video premier. Don't write it off yet we are not even refeclting on a full weeks worth of sales/steams yet.

Her time at Interscrope thus far hasn't seen commercial heights but this time she has a new PR company and already there has been good promo with teasers, the deal with MTV,  paid advertising on instgram as the song is coming up on newsfeeds so let's see what else is in store next week with the video.

The 360 deal worked at the time but we have all reflected on its many flaws, and I agree it wasn't the best sense commercially but it did and has further established her as a touring icon above many others.

We have at least a 2nd single to look forward to, a performance at the Eurovision which will have massive exposure and tons of press and who knows what else unannounced......the story of Madame X has just begun.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Confessit said:

I'd say they are in par in terms of popularity and viewership. But I think Graham is more popular outside the U.K. 

Thanks. I like the Jonathon Ross show a lot but just know in Australia that Graham is very popular and on commercial tv while Jonathon Ross is only available on pay tv. Just was going on that assumption 

12 minutes ago, Nikki said:

I think you're right that graham may be more popular worldwide.. Jonathan is more old school and local. still, the best interviews are with Jonathan.. the producers/editors there also didn't edit her to make her seem bitchy, which graham's people did (I heard they cut a lot of jokes and the dolls moment with fans was actually very sweet)

I loved her appearance on the last show. I think it was time constraints?  Never found her bitchy to be honest. I know that seems to be a conception on Madonna forums though when that show is discussed. Everyone I know personally, liked her on the show when shown here. People must have never met a bitch in their true life if they thought she was bitchy on that !  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Jazzy Jan said:

Thanks. I like the Jonathon Ross show a lot but just know in Australia that Graham is very popular and on commercial tv while Jonathkn Ross is only available on pay tv. Just was going on that assumption 

I loved her appearance on the last show. I think it was time constraints?  Never found her bitchy to be honest. I know that seems to be a conception on Madonna forums though when that show is discussed. Everyone I know personally, liked her on the show when shown here. People must have never met a bitch in their true life if they thought she was bitchy on that !  

I thought she was fine too, there were just a few awkward moments due to the editing. from what I heard of people in the audience they really did her dirty when they compare what they saw irl to what they saw on tv..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thought it's probably a good idea for Medellin video to drop in a week.

Guess it helps to build momentum and anticipation. since we heard the song only yesterday.

Curious to see if the strategy works. It would be great for her to have an organic hit even though it's an uphill battle.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd love for her to do Graham Norton again. The last time she was on there was fine but the focus was W.E, this time it's music and that's so much more fun and maybe she could do a live performance on the show as well.

She is in a more relaxed and fun state of mind right now I believe. She would no doubt have some rose wine on the show and maybe they would joke about how hot Maluma is🤗

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Btw did anyone else notice that Guy O posted for the first time about Madame X just one hour or so ago.

I mean seriously, he is her manager and it takes him this long to actually show that he cares about her career on social media? Debi, B Åkerlund and her other close friends posted and reposted straight away after the release about Medellin and her Manager takes this long?! Sorry but he is an ass.. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Amelia aka Neutrocks

The plan is to make this a slow grower.  I prefer it that way then "wham bam, thank you ma'am".  I don't want for the song and video to come out one week and then once everyone digest it, it disappears forever.  Why can't we let this song simmer for a while, rather see a quick rise, only for it to fall quickly.  I'm not expecting chart success, but it would be nice to see this song hang on for awhile.  There are so many awful songs out there right now, hanging on for months.  Some have been hanging on for more than a year.  How long has "Shallow" been in the top 5/10?   I think with the help of fans we can make this song last longer than a week or two, before it drops out into oblivion. 

There's a plan here.  There's a reason it's not been added to radio.  And let's keep in mind, we've known her past songs being sent to radio, but they won't play her, so why should Madonna pander to those who want nothing to do with her.  I'm surprised she made a deal with MTV.  It's like they forgot Madonna played a huge role in their success.  Then again, they've forgotten why they even existed since music videos rarely are played on their main channel.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Amelia said:

The plan is to make this a slow grower.  I prefer it that way then "wham bam, thank you ma'am".  I don't want for the song and video to come out one week and then once everyone digest it, it disappears forever.  Why can't we let this song simmer for a while, rather see a quick rise, only for it to fall quickly.  I'm not expecting chart success, but it would be nice to see this song hang on for awhile.  There are so many awful songs out there right now, hanging on for months.  Some have been hanging on for more than a year.  How long has "Shallow" been in the top 5/10?   I think with the help of fans we can make this song last longer than a week or two, before it drops out into oblivion. 

There's a plan here.  There's a reason it's not been added to radio.  And let's keep in mind, we've known her past songs being sent to radio, but they won't play her, so why should Madonna pander to those who want nothing to do with her.  I'm surprised she made a deal with MTV.  It's like they forgot Madonna played a huge role in their success.  Then again, they've forgotten why they even existed since music videos rarely are played on their main channel.

Not if the second single is dropping in 2 weeks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Amelia aka Neutrocks
4 minutes ago, loveperanders said:

Btw did anyone else notice that Guy O posted for the first time about Madame X just one hour or so ago.

I mean seriously, he is her manager and it takes him this long to actually show that he cares about her career on social media? Debi, B Åkerlund and her other close friends posted and reposted straight away after the release about Medellin and her Manager takes this long?! Sorry but he is an ass.. 

I know a lot of fans take issue with him, but I don't blame him.  In the past, when he was visible he only got attacked.  Maybe he's playing it smart and staying behind the scenes.  It's not like her previous manager went out of their way to publicly promote Madonna. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Amelia aka Neutrocks
2 minutes ago, Mat.Guy said:

Not if the second single is dropping in 2 weeks.

Yes, but how do we know that is fact?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Amelia said:

Yes, but how do we know that is fact?

They'll be a second single next month all the evidence points towards that.

She has another music video in the bag ready to go and we already know it's a disco/dance track that she shot in the theatre in February. The titles changed from Wake me up though if that's what it ever was.

Medlin would not be a good fit for the Eurovision, so odds are on the 2nd single will be dropped in at least the next 3 weeks before the Eurovision event. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Madonna will never be a singles artist again in terms of longevity particularly after the initial first week buzz, its a youth market and will never be otherwise, that is why I think her team should throw everything at that first week for the single, I don't understand why they didn't wait for the day after EV to release it along with the video, press and everything else. Medillen will have dried up by the time EV arrives. Madonna is veteran/legacy and album artist the Live Nation deal pushed her into this category after COTDF, it has also been a very turbulent few years since RH regarding her general PR and the huge anti Madonna, ageist campaign against her, that said Madonna did herself no favours and was on her way to 'crazy' old lady land in terms of the general public, I see Madame X turning things around, being taken seriously and reminding the world of her artistic force. Long term looking towards her 70's and most definitely after the Madame X era I really hope Madonna starts to concentrate on her legacy in a nuanced non-nostalgic way allowing it to be referenced as a touch stone for the generations to come. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Amelia aka Neutrocks
1 minute ago, Confessit said:

They'll be a second single next month all the evidence points towards that.

She has another music video in the bag ready to go and we already know it's a disco/dance track that she shot in the theatre in February. The titles changed from Wake me up though if that's what it ever was.

Medlin would not be a good fit for the Eurovision, so odds are on the 2nd single will be dropped in at least the next 3 weeks before the Eurovision event. 

But again, you're assuming this.  There is no proof this is happening.  I've read enough from you to know you've been dancing this  Disco/Dance theory around for some time.  A lot of people swore the video was airing yesterday as well.  (If I'm not mistaken you thought so as well?) I think all bets are off here.  Maybe we will get a new video next month.  That seems to be a typical thing many artists are doing anymore.  They release one or two songs right away.  Or maybe they are just throwing all caution into the wind and see what happens with this first single, while at the same time, they are ready to fire another song into the hole if they need to. 

I disagree, Medellin could be good for Eurovision. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Amelia said:

But again, you're assuming this.  There is no proof this is happening.  I've read enough from you to know you've been dancing this  Disco/Dance theory around for some time.  A lot of people swore the video was airing yesterday as well.  (If I'm not mistaken you thought so as well?) I think all bets are off here.  Maybe we will get a new video next month.  That seems to be a typical thing many artists are doing anymore.  They release one or two songs right away.  Or maybe they are just throwing all caution into the wind and see what happens with this first single, while at the same time, they are ready to fire another song into the hole if they need to. 

I disagree, Medellin could be good for Eurovision. 

I am assuming it although there is a source in the forum who confirmed we are getting single number 2 on May 2nd. 

I was just stating what we already know another's music video was shot before Medlin was so one would assume it's ready to go it was shot 2 months ago. We know it's a dance song from sources on the shoot. 

I don't think anything about what's being planned is caution to the wind i think there's a plan. I didn't swear the video was coming yesterday but I have voiced my surprise they didn't drop it straight away that was all.

I don't think Medlin would work at Eurovision, Maluma isn't that well known across all of Europe, he is an absolute unknown across much if it no disrespect to him as an artist. Plus on stage the song is much more Maluma than Madonna from the version we have heard unless she uses a remix. 

Again from what we already know the dance track video she shot in February is much more in line with the European taste overall. But like you say I am assuming. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...