live fast, die old: is ageism pop culture's final frontier?

realityisalways

Summary, but the whole thing is worth reading:

*Female-oriented ageism is alive and well, discreetly practiced and rarely discussed.

*it's hard to find women of a certain age in most fashion magazines, and when they're featured in the tabloid media it always seems to be about 'looking good for their age'.

*It's a youth-centric culture that teaches young people to fear age, disdain it, and worse, ridicule it.

*Once older women go out there on their own terms, they risk crossing society's elusive borderlines of what's considered 'age-appropriate'.

*Age appropriate is a hate term of mine. Why? Because it belittles women older and wiser than the people who use it, as if they were teenage girls in sexually inappropriate hemlines and too much make-up. If I were a woman, I would hate to make it to 50 only to be told I couldn't wear whatever I felt good in. "Sexiness is about attitude and being able to be yourself without judgment from other people,"

*Society's criticism of middle-aged women in the spotlight isn't just aimed at appearances, but an overriding view of how they're meant to be behaving.

*I can't help but wonder why pop culture's all-important stamp of relevance is exclusively given to young entertainers with no significant cultural or social achievements behind them, when Madonna, who revolutionized gender roles in popular culture, fronted post-70s feminism, and challenged the taboo of sex in the public forum, is being dismissed as 'try-hard' and 'desperate to be young'?

*It's the popular notion that people's old age somehow pollutes their legacy, and that your age prohibits you from doing - or wearing or saying - certain things.

*Should Madonna shelve her raunchy dance tracks and take to sitting on a bar stool singing ballad medleys, fur-clad and bejeweled like some millennial Marlene Dietrich? She already did that, 25 years ago.

*Instead of writing off people like Madonna as desperate to be relevant, we should rejoice in the fact that her youthful disposition will keep her around for longer so she can keep inspiring generations to come.

*people over 40 are the rebels of the 2010s: a counter-culture of a new world

*The introduction of older women in fashion campaigns this year is a huge step towards to a less ageist social spirit, but it doesn't cancel out the need for a revolution.

*At 57, Madonna's current age revolution might just be her greatest gift to future generations of women. And in the words of Marilyn Manson, she'll look hotter than ever doing it.

I'm sure no other will achieve what she's making right now, in her 50's.

Others seem already to struggle in their 40's...

I think it was easier even for male singers to chart and have hits in her 50's some years ago (Elton John, Phill Collins all had hits in the 1990's). Right now they seem to have disappear. Where are the middle age male singers ?!

Read this article last night and loved it. I can't remember who, but someone said on here a few months ago that this may be the most important, and the most exciting time of her career, and I think it's true.

I'm sure no other will achieve what she's making right now, in her 50's.

Others seem already to struggle in their 40's...

I think it was easier even for male singers to chart and have hits in her 50's some years ago (Elton John, Phill Collins all had hits in the 1990's). Right now they seem to have disappear. Where are the middle age male singers ?!

Nobody makes fun of 40 year old entertainers for being too old. People have been calling Madonna an old has been since Erotica. It really started getting ugly around Music. Thanks to Madonna nobody goes through that anymore. The worst that could happen is that they post an unflattering picture. But you don't see skits about Jennifer Lopez being an old granma on a walker trying to be sexy.

Nobody makes fun of 40 year old entertainers for being too old. People have been calling Madonna an old has been since Erotica. It really started getting ugly around Music. Thanks to Madonna nobody goes through that anymore. The worst that could happen is that they post an unflattering picture. But you don't see skits about Jennifer Lopez being an old granma on a walker trying to be sexy.

true!!!

and is the same about being a mother: I remember the question about being a mother alllll the time! and now you can be a woman and not be obsessed about being a mother!

i think the point is so that others WILL be able to do what she's doing in their 50's. a real queen keeps leading!

Agreed. Madonna's legacy is still on going. Madonn being able to be a force in popular entertainment despite 'ageing' is one of those things that people will look back at her on with gratitude.

Great article.

I think this is why you've seen current pop stars from Taylor to Britney to Katy to Beyoncé heap praise upon her. They know they'll be facing the same kind of issues at some point in their career. We talk so much about them taking pages from her earlier career, but I think they're watching her even more closely right now. Mostly to see how you evolve as a pop star.