This whole "Ray of Lighters" thing needs to die

Apples388

Madonna fans forming divisions within ourselves? That is just wrong. We need to fight the real enemy (Drake.)

Seriously though, my point is that there is room for everyone. We don't need to be elitist about the fact that some fans may have been around from the beginning, and some got on board during ROL or MDNA or even Rebel Heart. That's just the way it is. Live and let live. Of course it's important to know your "Madonna history," but there's no need for us to fight each other about it.

Unfortunately the "Ray of Lighters" jokes seem to have taken on a new form where people make fun of "Joan of Arcers" (:manson: about as funny as cancer) and this whole "let me meltdown" business. Not funny, not smart and just plain crass if you ask me.

Yeah! Motherfuckers!!! Revolution of love! Are you with me?

I wonder what it's like to be a new fan, having all THAT to discover. :dramatic: *jealous* And nowadays you got the internetz and youtube to help you out. Remember that "Danny86" poster who I savaged cuz it felt like he was a know it all with his Madonna knowledge so I put him to rights. :rotfl::shy:

I thought fans were criticized for using Ray of Light as the default template for a proper Madonna album. I never did. The success of Light allowed Madonna to pursue more serious subject matter in her most upbeat recent recordings in the last decade. The success of Ray of Light and its afterglow benefiting Music allowed for us to get the Drowned World Tour. Devoid of classic era songs with two exceptions for the track list. That is bold and boss. And I am forever grateful that Madonna's success then gave her permission to go down the road less traveled. American Life was the last time musically Madonna experimented in a substantial way. And I will hate all the fans who continue to shit on that record while defending her two albums from this decade.

I thought fans were criticized for using Ray of Light as the default template for a proper Madonna album. I never did. The success of Light allowed Madonna to pursue more serious subject matter in her most upbeat recent recordings in the last decade. The success of Ray of Light and its afterglow benefiting Music allowed for us to get the Drowned World Tour. Devoid of classic era songs with two exceptions for the track list. That is bold and boss. And I am forever grateful that Madonna's success then gave her permission to go down the road less traveled. American Life was the last time musically Madonna experimented in a substantial way. And I will hate all the fans who continue to shit on that record while defending her two albums from this decade.

Well don't you think that's a little unfair? After all you seem to think that being experimental automatically equals masterpiece.

Madonna experimented pretty boldly on Music to great effect. American Life took a lot of those same ideas and peppered them with a concept that didn't work for a lot of fans. Personally I can say I love about half of the album, the other laugh is a boring preachy mess. I don't shit on AL to justify my enjoyment of her 2010's work, but I can see why that album remains not only divisive, but almost an afterthought, something ppl relegate to her obsessive Kabbalah/Guy/Anglophile days and nothing more. Madonna hasn't revisited that incarnation ever again. She still revisits all the other ones.

The criticisms she's facing for her music these days are completely different ones.

Anyway, the Ray of Lighters thing was funny for awhile, but I think there's always going to be 3 types of fans- ones that prefer Madonna to be a little more relaxed and flamboyant, ones that prefer her with a touch of Lilith Fair/ Tori Amos/ Joni Mitchell/ French techno, and ones who enjoy both.

ive been a fan since True blue (1986). I was 6 y o when I became a fanatic. YOU CAN DANCE is one of my fav M Albums. I guess that makes me an "YCDer" ;-D

MADONNAER

LIKE A VIRGINER

TRUE BLUEER

LIKE A PRAYERER

IM BREATHLESSER

EROTICAER

BEDTIME STORIESER

RAY OF LIGHTER

MUSICER

AMERICAN LIFEER

CONFESSIONS ON A DANCE FLOORER

HARDY CANDYER

MDNAER

REBEL HEARTER

:lmao:

Guest bluejean

Madonna fans forming divisions within ourselves? That is just wrong. We need to fight the real enemy (Drake.)

Seriously though, my point is that there is room for everyone. We don't need to be elitist about the fact that some fans may have been around from the beginning, and some got on board during ROL or MDNA or even Rebel Heart. That's just the way it is. Live and let live. Of course it's important to know your "Madonna history," but there's no need for us to fight each other about it.

Unfortunately the "Ray of Lighters" jokes seem to have taken on a new form where people make fun of "Joan of Arcers" ( :manson: about as funny as cancer) and this whole "let me meltdown" business. Not funny, not smart and just plain crass if you ask me.

Yeah! Motherfuckers!!! Revolution of love! Are you with me?

:clap:

Yes!

I have been called a Ray of Lighter many times which is FUNNY because I have been a fan since Like a Prayer. But whatever.

When I first come to this forum, I could not work out why "ray of lighter" was used. I loved all of the Madonna eras and did not identify purely with one album. But since, have found out what it means and can understand why people use it. I am sure that it is not aimed at people who love Ray of light or discovered Madonna through Ray of Light and is never meant to insult people that love the record. It is aimed purely at those who think every record that Madonna makes should be just like Ray of Light. They are all over comments in the media and are annoying - disliking most records before Ray of Light and always saying nothing new is as good as Ray or Light.

I agree with you Suedehead that racism and unfair to look down at Madonna fans who followed her music and art after you.

Madonna still produces music and gains new fans every year who take a look at her older stuff and listen/watch her tours/performances.

BTW im considered as ghv2-er then judging by their point of view.

I'm a Pre-Madonnaer :stir::electropop::sassy:

Yesssss, you better worship award-winning magnum opus "Laugh to Keep from Crying"! :sassy:

Ray Of Lighters don't mean people who love ROL or became fans in 1998.

Ray Of Ligther is used to describe someone who thinks every album she releases should've been/should be ROL 2.0. They freak out every time M works with a major producer or writes "immature" lyrics. They freak out every time M has fun and messes around. They freak out every time M sparks controversy. It's almost like they know nothing about M's career trajectory and hope it's 1998 over and over again.

And yes these people deserve to be mocked till the end of time.

Well, I became a fan with Ray Of Light and it's still my favorite album. All of her albums from Ray Of Light to Confessions had something in common, Madonna was very tamed, she was more introspective in her lyrics and she wasn't that controversial (except for the Britney kiss and the American Life video), that's the Madonna that several kids got to know. When Hard Candy was released I had a hard time accepting that Madonna was being openly sexual in her lyrics again, she was having more fun and being more playful than she ever was in the last 10 years. With MDNA it got worse especially when I listened to Girl Gone Wild, I couldn't believe she was singing something so "generic". But, after listening a lot to MDNA and attending the MDNA tour I understood that Madonna was only being herself and expresing her current feelings, this is just another stage in her life and I feel embarrased for putting her in a box, Madonna will never be in a box. Rebel Heart is a perfect blend between the 1998-2005 Madonna and the 1989-1994/2008-2012 Madonna, she's SEX, she's religion, she's love, she's spirituality, she's a party girl, etc. Unfortunately not all fans can see it and some of them are still waiting for Ray Of Light 2.0.

Even if I am a Get Stupider, one of the appeals that drew me to M was her multifaceted personality and music. I havent seen any artist that embraced the different sides of her and put it in her art. That's why I'm not shocked with MDNA and RH. She already had the sexy fun side in her earlier music and her serious side too. I always stand by what I said if you only love one personality of Madonna, you truly don't get her.

Don't have one specific favorite M album because always try to be open to most of her new music and her creativity in general. Do have a preference for certain albums and eras like most fans. Honestly don't love RH era, but I'm still very open to see the new video(s) and the upcoming epic tour!

I still think though that people are not getting the "ray of lighter" reference or context. It is not having a go at the album or people that love the album the most. I love the album myself. It is purely a term for people that think every album SHOULD be like Ray of Light and constantly compare every new song and album to it. Hardly any of those people post here but they are everywhere at other forums. Mention any album since Ray of light, and they will go on and on about how inferior it is and see Madonna as selling out with everything else. I just don't see people applying the same logic to other albums. Madonna has always changed her style and has multi-sides. 90 % of Madonna fans get that completely.