Madonna & Camille Barbone

XXL

camille-barbone1-545x350.jpg

1313843622775_f.jpg

From Andrew Morton's 2001 Biography

For behind the brash image lay a sensitive, intelligent, yet uncertain young woman; a starkly honest girl who wrote a stream of raw, self-exposing lyrics in a composition book with black-and-white marbled covers, songs about being hungry, penniless, hurt, abandoned and unloved; a young woman who loved to read poetry, and who was fascinated by the activities of the Bloomsbury Group, a loose assemblage of British artists and writers influential during the 1920s and 1930s; a contemplative soul who enjoyed the peace of downtown churches, and loved to wander around the Museum of Modern Art and other galleries to gain a greater understanding of the creative process. As Camille observes, "This was not some trashy kid who needed to stick her tongue down a doorman's throat at Studio 54"

From a 1993 US TV special

01:00

I live for Madonna and her 1979-1982 years :sassy:

She's really too much of a Goddess

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvj7O4Kd1Ak

Camille, the ever bitter manager :) $30 million dollars loss :)

Truthfully she comes across as a bitch, and I can actually see her as a pretty good manager. Unlike pussywhipped Guy, Camille would be the sort to have the guts to say NO to Madonna occasionally :)

she was in love with madonna....but way too controlling to make being a manager work at that time....she could only take Madonna so far, M knew that....i feel bad for her though for some reason, probably because she did get fucked over basically.

Great thread. I love the early-era recordings, too.

It was so exciting when the Gotham Tapes finally leaked in high quality.

Yes me too! For YEARS I would play those little clips from the Madonna Exposed TV special and dream about hearing them in full. Those songs were some of the first I looked for on Napster (besides the leaked Music songs).i remember it took DAYS to download those tracks....lol.....probably weeks honestly.

Guest Pud Whacker

she was in love with madonna....but way too controlling to make being a manager work at that time....she could only take Madonna so far, M knew that....i feel bad for her though for some reason, probably because she did get fucked over basically.

after madonna got signed to Sire, she asked camille to come along. she said no. too bad for her.

Guest bluejean

after madonna got signed to Sire, she asked camille to come along. she said no. too bad for her.

Did she??

In what capacity? Not as her manager surely?

Guest bluejean

Anyway surely since she would have paid for various recordings she would obtain the rights to them and be able to release them if she wanted.

Pity we have them now so it's too late.

And yes I love Get Up, Love On The Run, High Society....

Would love to have the Breakfast Club and Emmy and the Emmys stuff in equally as good quality. I'm sure that'll all leak oneday. And there must be heaps we haven't heard.

After Madonna got signed to Sire, she asked Camille to come along. She said no.

Too bad for her.

Did she??

In what capacity? Not as her manager surely?

morton_zps4af4ce0a.jpg

Morton2_zps982f57c0.jpg

01ae1821-a828-45b7-8a82-1ca1867488a1_zps

Guest bluejean

I need to watch that Naked Ambition doco in full. Have never seen it.

I really can't wait for the day she writes her memoirs and includes all the info about the early days.

I never get sick of hearing about her rise to fame. I think her story is so interesting.

True. Her rise to fame is really inspiring, i love the fact that she worked so hard to be where she is now. So many others popstars had it easy, not Madonna.

I never get sick of hearing about her rise to fame. I think her story is so interesting.

Yes, her whole life story is inspiring and interesting. She worked so hard, struggled and achieved everything with talent, determination and sticking to what she believed in. Madonna is one star who did not get anything handled to her on a silver platter and is a true survivor. When you read about her, she is fascinating both before fame and after achieving fame.

I really can't wait for the day she writes her memoirs and includes all the info about the early days

Maybe she'll do it 7-8 tours from now

Camille Barbone was lucky to have her company in the Music Building in which Madonna would be squatting and write her music! She did not have the ability or knowledge and let alone the connections to manage Madonna!

Her sad story about how Madonna dumped her makes me cringe!

If she was so good in managing new artists and bring them to the top how come she never achieved anything!

Woman found a starving Madonna living in the same building she was working at and she got to see her performing live and BINGO!! Of course, she realized Madonna was a star! Everybody knew Madonna was a star.. no doubt about that! Problem was Camille was all mouth... she kept promising Madonna she would get her a record deal and she was lying through her teeth about having connections. All she did was give Madonna a poor wage and get her a roof over her head. Madonna was a struggling artist and she might have taken advantage of Camille but i still believe she gave Camille the benefit of the doubt and she went along.. i don't think she fully trusted her though. That's why she kept promoting herself inside other circles. If you listen to the stuff she did with Camille and the stuff she was actually selling around (Everybody) you can tell how Madonna wanted to be a dance artist while Camille saw Madonna as a punk/rock and roll chick.. Camille wasn't interested in the dance/funky stuff because Camille had no clue about music! She was basically a nobody in love with Madonna who had already exhausted all her "false" resources to keep Madonna in her business. Best thing Madonna did was to dump this bitch!! It did pay off... just saying....

Why? She's talked about it quite afew times

I can't imagine Madonna writing that kind of book. I can imagine her revisiting her past, though. For example, when she decided to write tht musical (that may have been more or less autobiographic) or maybe through some exhibitions. Maybe a book where she comments some pictures or memorabilia...

But a complete book in first person? I really can't imagine it, somehow i think that those books come from artists that know that their time is in the past and not in the future.

Why? She's talked about it quite a few times

She never talked about it. She got asked about it, different thing. And by the answers she gave you could tell she was not particularly interested in the notion but didn't rule out doing it either. Not NOW anyway and I can see why.

Autobiographies of legends usually come at the end of their lives (see Katharine Hepburn). Madonna is the highest-earning celebrity in the world right now, 30 years on, an autobiography at this stage of her career would seem rather untimely

I can't imagine Madonna writing that kind of book. I can imagine her revisiting her past, though. For example, when she decided to write tht musical (that may have been more or less autobiographic) or maybe through some exhibitions. Maybe a book where she comments some pictures or memorabilia...

But a complete book in first person? I really can't imagine it, somehow i think that those books come from artists that know that their time is in the past and not in the future.

:thumbsup:

Precisely

Guest bluejean

What nonesense.

She's said numerous times about writing her memoirs. Whether asked about it or not makes no difference. One exact quote at the mention of various books written about her was "I'll write the real book! When I'm 80! And I WILL live that long."

If she had no interest in doing it at all she'd probably say that. And she DID publish those Evita diary entries which demonstrates the type of thing it would probably be imo.