Madonna's catalog should be treated better...

madonna_fan1988

I think her catalogue is treated like that of an active artist - not too much time looking back, quickly moving from one project to the next. I think it's a deliberate choice not to spend time or effort on her back catalogue; once that begins, she's a legacy artist, and I don't think she's ready for that yet.

I'd love a fully-stocked Vevo channel, though.

This :thumbsup:

A proper VEVO channel as you said would be nice though

Speaking of all of this I loved when Madonna said she needs to look into her archives when someone asked her on Reddit or one of those Q&A she did recently when is BAT coming out on DVD/Blu-Ray :rotfl:

Speaking of all of this I loved when Madonna said she needs to look into her archives when someone asked her on Reddit or one of those Q&A she did recently when is BAT coming out on DVD/Blu-Ray :rotfl:

It's tragic and it makes me really fucking sad, because we all know that they're only going to care if she dies.

I sometimes just really want to print/burn my own collection. I have recently downloaded all her singles in 320kbps and I want them on CD with a real cd jewel case and the official cover artworl and all of that shit.

If they release RIT on DVD they better give us lots of bonus material like the full rehearsals of I'm So Stupid, Swim, Take a Bow, Dress You Up, Live to Tell and Love Profusion and the original version of DWRY as well as the Bedtime Story interlude in HD!

If they release RIT on DVD they better give us lots of bonus material like the full rehearsals of I'm So Stupid, Swim, Take a Bow, Dress You Up, Live to Tell and Love Profusion and the original version of DWRY as well as the Bedtime Story interlude in HD!

Yeah, that's never gonna happen, unfortunately. :(

Guest bluejean

Isn't that because they want to release the Paris version?

I'm sure they could slap together a version of Nice but let's face it if they ever release it and it's Paris instead it will be well worth the wait.

Isn't that because they want to release the Paris version? I'm sure they could slap together a version of Nice but let's face it if they ever release it and it's Paris instead it will be well worth the wait.

It's tragic and it makes me really fucking sad, because we all know that they're only going to care if she dies

If the Nice taping ever got officially released well that would be amazing

But honestly now, I think that if a lot of stuff hasn't been released it's because Madonna didn't care enough about those particular releases or wanted it that way on purpose. BAT segments were featured in TOD and the same happened with RIT/IGTTYAS. On top of the fact that we all had a look at that official recording of RIT uploaded on Youtube and I can understand why Madonna wouldn't be enthusiastic about it, as a fan it's obviously nice to watch but it doesn't have the feel for a DVD release in terms of quality.

People seem to forget that Madonna is Madonna, she's no schoolgirl from 2 weeks ago who has no voice in her career and how her stuff gets distributed/released. She had an enormous amount of say in the 80s, imagine 30 years on, after the amount of results she has piled up to her name.

Look at how the MDNA thing was handled after glitchgate, they just issued a statement and Madonna casually said something answering a question on Reddit and everyone forgot about it 3 weeks later but the truth is there wasn't much fanfare planned for it to begin with. It's only us mega fans that are concerned with these things if you know what I mean.

A lot of people on here still think that cd/dvd sales mean something when they increasingly mean NOTHING within the current industry paradigm. Some posters on here were jumping on Madonna's throat for scoring the 12th most bought record of 2012 and look, 2 years on "the big stars of today" are selling 3m at best with about 20 times the size of promo Madonna decided to dedicate to her MDNA album (Hello Katy Perry etc etc). Curious!

Obviously as a fan I would die to see VT, BAT and RIT on dvd/blu-ray! But the point is that Madonna wants things a certain way and people keep blaming Warners, Guy Oseary, this, that and that other when it's none of them.

I will just never understand why they never did anything with the BAT. That tour is ICONIC. I know that word is used for everything nowadays, but that tour truly IS iconic. It was groundbreaking and every popstar has tried to emulate it ever since.

The 2001 remasters of the first three albums are way too loud. As for the artwork, on Madonna they stretched the back cover image to fit the jewel case insert instead of simply cropping it (it can be seen in correct aspect ratio on the back of the booklet itself.) The front cover of True Blue is cropped incorrectly... looks like it was done from the poster image included in the booklet. On the back her name and title logo were edited to be slightly separated and part of an "A" in her name is missing.

The less said about the 2012 Complete Studio Albums and Original Album Series boxed sets, the better.

I'm glad I was able to find the original CD masters of the debut and Like A Virgin. I should really get the original CD master of True Blue, I have the remaster and it's not that great.

As for those stupid repackages with weird album pairings, I won't touch them.

As far back as the nineties, her reissues have been handled haphazardly.

In 1995, CD maxi single reissues made in Germany were a hot mess. They had it all... Wrong tracks, bad mastering and questionable cropping, stretching and airbrushing decisions to fit scans of square sleeve art into the dimensions of the CD slim-cases.

In 1997, the Japan 3" CD Single Collection box was thankfully well mastered, but the artwork suffered. In most cases the sleeves look like dull color copies of the originals and were treated to some of the same shoddy airbrushing to remove original bar codes and catalog numbers. In a few cases, promo sleeves were used instead of their commercial counterparts (likely to avoid the bar code issue) but those carried track listings different from those released commercially and therefore from those included in the set.

The 2001 remasters of the first three albums are way too loud. As for the artwork, on Madonna they stretched the back cover image to fit the jewel case insert instead of simply cropping it (it can be seen in correct aspect ratio on the back of the booklet itself.) The front cover of True Blue is cropped incorrectly... looks like it was done from the poster image included in the booklet. On the back her name and title logo were edited to be slightly separated and part of an "A" in her name is missing.

The less said about the 2012 Complete Studio Albums and Original Album Series boxed sets, the better.

giphy.gif

Don't forget the abomination that was the recently re-issued vinyls that looked like they were printed on a 4 cent photocopier. Did not even bother with the vinyl, since the whole thing looked like shit!

Something tells me that a full release of BAT and RIT haven't happened (and may not until some way later time, if ever) because she's feels that the two documentary films representing those tours are simply 'good enough' for now.

Of course we fans want the whole thing...and at least for BAT, there DEFINITELY should be a full release someday.

Something about "losing the Paris tapes" though...I just don't buy. Some professional somewhere has to have a source copy archived somewhere. I just don't buy that it's "lost"..... I just think it's not a priority for her to pay someone to do the work to all that requires right now.

As for RIT, we were supposed to get a full film of the full show...but we know how that played out... But, it's not like we can't say they just didn't bother there. It was planned...if only the tv networks would have let her have her way, and she had a better director.

The only thing I had wished was done was that all the tours had been filmed in 35mm film. (and then at lest properly archived). Then remasters would have been much more likely.

Though I am quite surprised that with how anal Madonna is about everything, that she didn't assign and pay someone to professionally archive everything all along. That she retains a source copy of everything, properly formatted, backed up and stored. Just doesn't seem like her not to do that all these years....

Well the 7" mix was never released on CD in the first place so I'm doubting anyone even remembers it at this point. TIC versions of both songs seem to have outlived the originals.

It would be nice if Warner/Madonna/whoever would agree to re-release all the singles digitally as well as in a CD box set and perhaps have a fan take care of it (ie Mattress.) Now we know with Mattress in charge the result would be exactly as it should be.

I agree the TIC version of Express Yourself has outlived the album version, but when it comes to Like a Prayer, I think the original version is still the go to version for radio. TIC version for clubs.

Also agree that her back catalogue has been treated poorly, this became evident when Celebration was released. Why did they have to recut Erotica into the radio edit (poorly)? Why not just use the radio edit from the actual single??? Stuff like this concerns me... do they even have these tracks anymore? Or can they not be bothered going through her vault?

It's clear that no one who works at Warners is actually a big fan of Madonna's. A big fan would have the background knowledge to ensure that the correct versions of singles etc. appeared on "Celebration" and that glitches didn't occur. Those who worked on the project were clearly just "doing their job" - it certainly wasn't a "labour of love" or anything like that.

While it might be unthinkable to us that Madonna's catalogue could be treated so poorly, let's not forget that this is a record company that didn't care that DJ Frank E wasn't happy with the mastering on "Revolver" and refused to let him redo it before it was released (why he submitted a version that he was unhappy with in the first place, though, I don't know). Ultimately, Warners doesn't really care about the finer details, and Madonna's too busy being Madonna to take care of it personally. If she were an artist who hadn't done much for the past decade, she probably would be more involved in the management of her catalogue and actually listen to everything before it was released.

Incidentally, Madonna still has control over her recorded output with Warners. They can't release anything without her permission (this is why, in the five years since her contract ended with them, we haven't seen a plethora of compilations a la "Number Ones", "The Ballads", "The Essential Collection", "Top 10 Singles" etc. hit the shelves). Madonna/Guy has to sign off on everything that Warners releases (this is a highly unusual arrangement).

Guest bluejean

It's clear that no one who works at Warners is actually a big fan of Madonna's. A big fan would have the background knowledge to ensure that the correct versions of singles etc. appeared on "Celebration" and that glitches didn't occur. Those who worked on the project were clearly just "doing their job" - it certainly wasn't a "labour of love" or anything like that.

While it might be unthinkable to us that Madonna's catalogue could be treated so poorly, let's not forget that this is a record company that didn't care that DJ Frank E wasn't happy with the mastering on "Revolver" and refused to let him redo it before it was released (why he submitted a version that he was unhappy with in the first place, though, I don't know). Ultimately, Warners doesn't really care about the finer details, and Madonna's too busy being Madonna to take care of it personally. If she were an artist who hadn't done much for the past decade, she probably would be more involved in the management of her catalogue and actually listen to everything before it was released.

Incidentally, Madonna still has control over her recorded output with Warners. They can't release anything without her permission (this is why, in the five years since her contract ended with them, we haven't seen a plethora of compilations a la "Number Ones", "The Ballads", "The Essential Collection", "Top 10 Singles" etc. hit the shelves). Madonna/Guy has to sign off on everything that Warners releases (this is a highly unusual arrangement).

From memory I think she was on tour (or about to go back on tour) when Celebration was put together and she took the time to select the songs, record new songs and a video.

And I think if we look at it through the eyes of a casual fan Celebration is a great release. The artwork is great and the tracklisting, although not what I would have chosen, is very comprehensive. The glitches and the bad edits would be unnoticable to the average listener and I'm sure to Guy O'Seary or Madonna any complaints would come across as "nitpicking fans." Guy did take the time to listen to fans on Twitter when they were putting it together and certain decisions were made based on that feedback.

I am assuming Guy and Madonna decided the tracklisting and then had people at Warner source all the songs and put it all together. Warner have always been sloppy and with record companies on the downward slide its clearly gotten worse. Whoever put it together obviously doesn't know anything about what radio edits etc exist and honestly, apart from hardcore fans who would? It's the sort of knowledge only a hardcore fan cares about. And these sorts of releases are not for hardcore fans really. We already have all the single edits etc.

But I think it would pay to have a hardcore fan like Mattress do these sorts of releases in the future. I suppose that never occured to Guy but it has been done for other artists like Prince, Kylie etc.

Guest bluejean

As for Blond Ambition it would be very easy to throw out the Nice version but let's face it, the vocals are horrible and the Paris version is a million times better visually. I get the impression both Madonna and Guy would like to release it but they aren't going to bother unless its that version. So that is why she said she needs to find the tapes. That particular version was never released in full so who is to say its even edited together or that the tapes even still exist. If they do it requires editing that involves time and money and why would they bother when they have current projects to focus on? Let's not forget the amount of time she spent editing the MDNA tour.

Re-invention on the other hand, I don't believe that will see the light of day until the barrel scraping stages. Madonna spent loads of time editing together I'm Going To Tell You a Secret so it seems in her mind that's that. Unless there's a final version sitting there ready for release I don't believe they'd bother since the demand or interest would be nowhere near as high as BAT. At least we got a leak of it though which although isn't amazing is decent enough.

It's strange that Madonna hasn't herself pushed for professional releases of some of her most iconic moments.

She has saved her most iconic costumes....and she had said before she will launch a roadshow with them.....so maybe she is "saving" the tapes of the BA tour for future reference?

Re-invention on the other hand, I don't believe that will see the light of day until the barrel scraping stages. Madonna spent loads of time editing together I'm Going To Tell You a Secret so it seems in her mind that's that. Unless there's a final version sitting there ready for release I don't believe they'd bother since the demand or interest would be nowhere near as high as BAT. At least we got a leak of it though which although isn't amazing is decent enough.

She could always do what Morrissey and Belinda Carlisle did with their recorded gigs, just include it on a DVD disc of a Remastered and Expanded Special Edition of American Life (if this were to ever happen).

It wouldn't surprise me. I'm sure it's in the back of her and Guys minds somewhere, but most likely at the very bottom of the list.

She mentioned about looking for the "tapes" on reddit. Guy mentioned about having a meeting with Warner's to discuss these kinds of releases. They did a new film transfer for the TOD bluray.

So it's not fair to assume that they are ignoring these projects.

Next year will mark 25 yrs of BAT. I can actually see them releasing the DVD/bluray then.

Guest bluejean

There are final edits of Burning Up and Die Another Day

Correct me if I'm wrong but weren't they outtakes from 'I'm Going To Tell You a Secret?' They have that typical Jonas Akerland style of editing and I believe the final version of the Re-invention Tour was a different show directed by someone else.

There was a rumour she wasn't happy with the result and that's why it never got released. I forget what happened with the TV broadcast. Why was it pulled? Something to do with the movie rights? And remember that interview she was asked about it and she basically said it was already released (ie IGTTYAS)

Guest bluejean

It wouldn't surprise me. I'm sure it's in the back of her and Guys minds somewhere, but most likely at the very bottom of the list.

She mentioned about looking for the "tapes" on reddit. Guy mentioned about having a meeting with Warner's to discuss these kinds of releases. They did a new film transfer for the TOD bluray.

So it's not fair to assume that they are ignoring these projects.

Next year will mark 25 yrs of BAT. I can actually see them releasing the DVD/bluray then.

I don't think they are ignoring them either. I think they just have other projects to think about that are more worthwhile. Whatever they invest their time into has to be financially worthwhile and there may be reasons why they withhold this stuff. For example, it could take attention or interest out of current projects.

I mean say for example she released BAT toward the end of this year. Would it draw attention to her past rather than contribute to the hype build up of the new album?

It may sound a bit naïve but we should definitely start a facebook page or something

4 a Paris BAT Blu-Ray release 2 COMMEMORATE the 25th ANNIVERSARY nxt yr.

Have Mattress come up with fake artwork

Post news clip

Reviews

Tour Posters

Ticket Stubs

Pictures of Merchandise

ANYTHING!

STATE OUR DEMANDS :chuckle:

WE WANT PARIS

AUDIO COMMENTARY BY JOSE & LUIS

BONUS FOOTAGE AS SHOT BY DAVID FINCHER who captured ALL the TOKYO shows

IT's NOW or NEVER

PM me if ur interested!

:fag:

Correct me if I'm wrong but weren't they outtakes from 'I'm Going To Tell You a Secret?' They have that typical Jonas Akerland style of editing and I believe the final version of the Re-invention Tour was a different show directed by someone else.

There was a rumour she wasn't happy with the result and that's why it never got released. I forget what happened with the TV broadcast. Why was it pulled? Something to do with the movie rights? And remember that interview she was asked about it and she basically said it was already released (ie IGTTYAS)

They were from the Lisbon show. The Paris footage from the doc has the lilac corset. The Lisbon date has the gold corset. The Lisbon show was originally suppose to be directed by Hamish Hamilton, but he was let go after the TV broadcast had fell through. Therefore the 2 Lisbon dates were NOT filmed by Hamish, but Jonas instead, since he was already familiar with the show + he already filmed 2 Paris dates.

Also, there was a contract which delayed the release of the concert DVD. Not till a year after the documentary had been released physically.

But I think it would pay to have a hardcore fan like Mattress do these sorts of releases in the future. I suppose that never occured to Guy but it has been done for other artists like Prince, Kylie etc.

Wait a minute, they hired a fan to do that work?

Guest bluejean

Wow, really? I think it looks like a film.

Although I sort of get where you're coming from in that its not as organic looking as the other versions or TGS. It's alot more stylised. But I consider that a good thing.

Guest bluejean

I've probably said this a zillion times but I'm not personally fussed about getting BAT or RIT. I think they should be released, yes, but I feel satisfied with the versions I have which are at least professionally shot.

If there's anything unreleased of Madonna I would truly want it's unreleased tracks. Especially ones from the 80's since we have very few of those and none in good quality. A 4 CD set of unreleased songs please including stuff that has leaked and stuff that hasn't.