Gene Simmons calls Madonna 'iconic' in Esquire interview

HarleyQuinn

From Esquire

GS: Here's a frightening thought: from 1958 to 1983, name 100 musical anythings that are iconic, that seem to last beyond their time.

NS: The Beatles, The Stones...

GS: Elvis, the Beatles, Michael Jackson, the Stones, Jimi Hendrix, the numerous classic Motown artists, Madonna, U2, Prince, Pink Floyd... The list goes on. Individuals, all unanimously considered classic, timeless, revolutionary. Now from '84 until today, name some. Just give me a few artists that, even after their passing, are or will be inescapable. Artists on the same level as the ones I just mentioned. Even if you don't like them, they will be impossible to avoid, or deny, even after they've stopped making music and maybe passed on. In fact, they become bigger when they stop. Name artists that even compare with the ones I just named.

Full article: http://www.esquire.com/blogs/culture/gene-simmons-future-of-rock

^^I like KISS and Madonna and I wanted to share it. He is wrong about so many things but he is right on the money here. I don't agree with him on a TON of things but these are one of those times when he surprises me.

Can't people have complex opinions/views?

As someone who struggled/s with depression, I thought his views on depression were uncalled for and very simplistic. At the same time, he has been held accountable. Let's move on.

And he's wrong : Beck, Bjork, Nirvana, Radiohead, Beastie Boys, Many Hip hop bands, Beyonce.....

One band i won't add in that list is Kiss. Overrated buffoons who only exist because of their make up, a pseudo rock band whos eonly major hit is a disco song. Musiczlly they are even worst than Bon Jovi. And Gene Simmons has dissed Madonna multiple times over the years but that's nothing compared to the crap that regularly comes out of his mouth. He may be an icon to you but he's lower than zero to me. And moving on ? FUCK. THAT. That's too easy. One can say crap uncalled for and be excused, i'm not catholic, i don't forgive and i don't forget either.

That wasn't a critic directed to you though, i was not saying you shouldn't have posted it at all, i was just giving my opinion on that asshole.

And he's wrong : Beck, Bjork, Nirvana, Radiohead, Beastie Boys, Many Hip hop bands, Beyonce.....

One band i won't add in that list is Kiss. Overrated buffoons who only exist because of their make up, a pseudo rock band whos eonly major hit is a disco song. Musiczlly they are even worst than Bon Jovi. And Gene Simmons has dissed Madonna multiple times over the years but that's nothing compared to the crap that regularly comes out of his mouth. He may be an icon to you but he's lower than zero to me. And moving on ? FUCK. THAT. That's too easy. One can say crap uncalled for and be excused, i'm not catholic, i don't forgive and i don't forget either.

That wasn't a critic directed to you though, i was not saying you shouldn't have posted it at all, i was just giving my opinion on that asshole.

He missed a few for sure, but from your list only Nirvana is truly iconic. In no known universe is Beck iconic. I have nothing against him, but he never changed the game, or moved the needle culturally. The same can be said of Bjork, and Radiohead, both of whom I love. Being a fan is not enough to make either of them iconic tho. Beyonce is yet to be determined, but for now she's just hugely famous. There's more to it than that, otherwise Lady Gaga is iconic too.

He's right...after 1984 there are no legendary performers.

I agree with Genne tyhis time, although there are a few classics.Bjork for example being one of them, or Nirvana. Maybe pop -rock music, or whatever you call it, it´s not so relevant for the young people anymore...and that´s why we have less iconic artists

Are you for real??

Tell me one thing those above mentioned artists did to deserve the Iconic status.

Beck is nothing compared to Jimi Hendrix.. Nirvana were huge but they have only two albums to their names. Radiohead and Bjork are extremely experimental with their music.. but iconic?? I'm sorry but to be iconic you have to bring it on all levels!

Beasty Boys have been successful for a very long time but they never reached a huge international success.. in fact, they are not that known outside of the USA. Beyonce?? Tell me one thing Beyonce brought in the industry that was never done before?? Even marrying a more successful and established man in the music scene was done before by Mariah Carey. She's all hype... a Lady Gaga kind of character the media loves to put on the pedestal but take away the media coverage she's only a nice singer/dancer./entertainer... no ground breaking, revolutionary stuff there. Stop thinking of her as an icon. It's a slap in the face to the real icons!!

Are you for real??

Tell me one thing those above mentioned artists did to deserve the Iconic status.

Beck is nothing compared to Jimi Hendrix.. Nirvana were huge but they have only two albums to their names. Radiohead and Bjork are extremely experimental with their music.. but iconic?? I'm sorry but to be iconic you have to bring it on all levels!

Beasty Boys have been successful for a very long time but they never reached a huge international success.. in fact, they are not that known outside of the USA. Beyonce?? Tell me one thing Beyonce brought in the industry that was never done before?? Even marrying a more successful and established man in the music scene was done before by Mariah Carey. She's all hype... a Lady Gaga kind of character the media loves to put on the pedestal but take away the media coverage she's only a nice singer/dancer./entertainer... no ground breaking, revolutionary stuff there. Stop thinking of her as an icon. It's a slap in the face to the real icons!!

IKR :rotfl:

I enjoyed Kiss. I was Ace Frehley for Halloween when I was, like, 5. :)

Gene's one of those who erroneously thinks the Rock Hall is just about rock music- hence his disses on why he thinks Madonna shouldn't be in there.

Beyonce is yet to be determined, but for now she's just hugely famous.

Beyonce is dubious - her record company makes her out to be bigger than she is and puts a lot of PR into her. Let's see where she is in a few years when Sony isn't backing her anymore or she divorces Jay or she switches labels.

Wait... Did i just read people saying Bjork and Radiohead are not iconic?? Is this a sad joke?

i am sorry but to be iconic you also have to be known... not everybody knows Bjork or Radiohead or Beck!! Just because you adore those artists that doesn't make iconic. Get over it!

The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Michael Jackson, Madonna, Elvis Presley are all known globally and they also changed and shaped the way music is today so just because an artist is experimental or whatever that doesn't make them iconic...

I know more hit singles from Enya than from KISS.

And isn't this "artist" the same person who a few years ago praised Joanne WHILE dissing Madonna? I wonder what happened cause surely Joanne not being famous anymore has absolutely nothing to do with his change of mind...

If I had to pick musical acts considered "iconic" they would be Madonna, The Beatles, Elvis Presley, Frank Sinatra, Barbra Streisand, The Rolling Stones, Judy Garland, Michael Jackson, Fleetwood Mac, Aretha Franklin, The Beach Boys, Diana Ross, Jimi Hendrix, Prince, Abba, Stevie Wonder and Queen. Have probably left out a few. I suppose Nirvana is because so many young men adore them and they were the sound of grunge. The work Iconic is thrown around too much. It should be saved for superstars who are also pioneers and timeless.

Are you for real??

ARE YOU ? Tone it down a bit will you ? I don't now you. You have not been here long enough to give me an attitude ok ? I've never said anything to you in the new album thread when you wrote ALL these fucking stupid entries spreading bullshit like the gospel ok ? You don't like Beyonce ok. I'm not a fan either but there's no denying she's an iconic performer to people today or maybe you live under a rock or you are stuck in 1995.

Secondly and to prove i read all the shit you wrote back in the new album thread, you admitted to have shitty taste in music....well you did not really admit it but you said what you liked (shitty bottom dance music) which is admitting it in a way and i admire you for that.

NOW MAY ALL THE NEWBIES TONE IT DOWN A BIT WITH THE ATTITUDE ?

If I had to pick musical acts considered "iconic" they would be Madonna, The Beatles, Elvis Presley, Frank Sinatra, Barbra Streisand, The Rolling Stones, Judy Garland, Michael Jackson, Fleetwood Mac, Aretha Franklin, The Beach Boys, Diana Ross, Jimi Hendrix, Prince, Abba, Stevie Wonder and Queen. Have probably left out a few. I suppose Nirvana is because so many young men adore them and they were the sound of grunge. The work Iconic is thrown around too much. It should be saved for superstars who are also pioneers and timeless.

Preach

Guest bluejean

Nirvana/Kurt Cobain are DEFINITELY icons and that's really not debatable. It doesn't really matter that they only did 2 albums, James Dean only did 2 movies and he is one of the biggest icons of all time.

I think Radiohead and Bjork could be regarded as cult icons to alternative/indie music fans but definitely not pop culture icons at all. There are too many members of the general public who wouldn't be familiar with their work or image. Not Beck or Beastie Boys though.

As for Beyonce I don't really know. I feel like she probably is but if you are going to say that then Mariah, Britney and perhaps Eminem could be regarded icons as well.

The word is definitely used too loosely. Wikipedia has Christina Aguilera listed as an example :lmao: Basically, it's not a word you can use until at least 10 years have passed. I mean people were claiming Gaga was an icon but 10 years from now she'll probably be a blip on the radar to most people.

Guest Rachelle of London

Are you for real??

How do you manage to include essays about Beyoncé in 90% of your posts? :lmao:

And most of what you write is incorrect as well.

Guest CzarnaWisnia

Wow, Gene complaining again about something. What else is new? Madonna doesn't need his validation anyhow.

And LOL at people arguing about who's iconic and not, as if there was a clear definition of what that meant outside of fanboy gushing realities.