U2 album stunt on iTunes backfires. Should we be worried for M under Guy O'?

Jamesy

Just don't see this mentioned here yet - thought it interesting.

Been a lot of speculation for ages amongst U2 fans about how/when their new album would be released and whether they would be "doing a Beyonce" by releasing it unannounced.

Very like the discussion we have about how M's new album will come.

So yesterday in an unannounced move, U2 appeared at the Apple event and launched their new album entirely for free to everyone on iTunes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-29132508

And of course Guy Oseary is their manager now. Just wondering what this indicates about the Madonna album. For sure its release will be something "unusual"...

What is interesting is that it's FOR FREE.

What happens when something is for free? That people downloads and then... when it's physical, there won't be such a big impact in charts. Which means that U2 shits on charts.

This is unimprecedent in music, i don't recall a big act giving for free the album this way, unless they wanted to punish the record company. I think that it's time that charts go to the pits, and that artists start focusing in other things. Imagine if Madonna doesn't try to make a big impact in charts, but focus in other things????

This is going to get very very interesing!

Just kinda thinking tho how always the focus now is selling concert tickets - and that it's generally considered that you can't really make serious money in music any other way. So the album is considered now (from a cold business point of view) as just an ad for the tour.

The U2 thing yesterday is almost the next step from MDNA album being given free when you bought a concert ticket in 2012.

Wonder what they're gonna think up for how Madonna's new album is released - there's just no way IMO it's gonna be a run-of-the-mill idea lol!

U2 are releasing another album soon called "songs of experiences" A commercial album.

Huh! I was thinking that to myself last night ... The poet William Blake had a work called Songs of Innocence and of Experience -- and I was wondering if there would be a second part (a double album!) ...

I downloaded the album to my iTunes last night, but ... I didn't see the headline about them giving the album away free until after 1 in the morning (despite seeing other Apple product news headlines earlier in the day) ... by that point, it was so late, I couldn't stay up and listen to it. I'll have to do that this weekend.

Interesting strategy. We'll see how well it works. There are obviously some disadvantages, but ... when you consider U2's position in the industry and the decline in album sales, it might prove to be a prudent move on their part. (I was going to say "logical" -- but, on the other hand, giving an album away for free doesn't really sound "logical," either.)

I was thinking to myself this certainly one-upped Beyonce ... everyone keeps talking about "pulling a Beyonce," but this was even a step beyond that.

don't forget that this deal was free for consumers, but U2s aren't exactly generous or naive...they've been paid an undisclosed amount of money from Apple for the right to give the album for free plus a guaranted promotional campaign (that will reguard the album and, i guess, their next tour) worthy 100 millions of dollars....

Oh. I heard it now. I can see why they're giving it away for free :lol:

ikr....what a sh....boringfest....and bono voice is getting worst even in studio......such a waste....

oh well.....another reason to have fun with a friend of mine...big big u2 fan....

....now i'm just curious to read the reviews......

Jimmy Iovine Already Polishing Apple;
Former Unknown Scoring Massive Hit;
a Radically Altered Chart in the Works

TWO WORLDS COLLIDE: When Apple announced its $3.2b deal with Jimmy Iovine and Dr. Dre’s Beats Electronics in mid-May, UMG chieftain Lucian Grainge alluded in conversation to the "unintended consequences" of said deal, which he expected to occur down the line. On Tuesday, the first of these unintended consequences arrived with a bang, as Apple gifted its more than 500m iTunes users with a free download of U2’s long-awaited album, Songs of Innocence, ahead of its 10/14 official release on Interscope, in a five-week window of exclusivity to iTunes and Beats Music. 

Naturally, Iovine’s fingerprints are all over this deal, as he parlays his connections across the music and tech worlds into a colossal twofold launch—that of Apple's new line of devices, cross-marketed with U2’s album and upcoming tour. It’s not unreasonable to conclude that no one other than Iovine could have orchestrated such a symphony of synergy. The agreement between the tech giant and Universal will result in an outlay of more than $100m, encompassing marketing/advertising expenses and payment for the album, which will be split between the rights holders—UMG and the band. Most believe that foremost among the big winners of this deal will be Michael Rapino’s Live Nation and band manager Guy O, who are in the planning stages of the worldwide stadium tour, as the U2 brand gets a dramatic lift from this huge exposure.

Can U2 possibly sell significant numbers on the new album despite having given it away on such an astounding scale? The fact is, Songs of Innocence still has a sizable potential audience. Consider those millions of Android users who didn’t get the album, and all the subscribers to streaming services apart from Beats Music and iTunes Radio who can’t even hear it, as well as the fact that iTunes has far less penetration in other countries than it does in the U.S.—and today’s business is global in scale. What’s more, who’s to say that the band’s core constituency won’t readily spring for the deluxe package, with its cache of additional tracks? It’s not outside the realm of possibility that U2 can actually have it both ways with this album.

Loomer, I just noticed your photo is Giulietta Masina from La Strada. I love it. Thumbs up to you!

I like the new U2 album and I don't see a problem with giving it away for free on iTunes. It seems like a big thank you and gift to the fans.

seems like I was wrong with thinking this is a good idea. good she hasnt released her album onto people's iPhones like that. I personally don't care because Im not pro or anti U2. they're just random to me. If I don't like it I just delete it. like getting a christmas present I don't like. it's no big deal. But if they were a group or artist I don't like I wouldn't want to be "forced" by them and apple like that I guess. sounds like a cool idea at first though.

seems like I was wrong with thinking this is a good idea. good she hasnt released her album onto people's iPhones like that. I personally don't care because Im not pro or anti U2. they're just random to me. If I don't like it I just delete it. like getting a christmas present I don't like. it's no big deal. But if they were a group or artist I don't like I wouldn't want to be "forced" by them and apple like that I guess. sounds like a cool idea at first though.

I agree. I think this idea worked well for U2, but not sure it would be a good idea for Madonna. It seems like the type of thing that was cool to do once, but not over and over again. I do think it would be good though if Guy could come up with some type of non-conventional way to release the album. Not sure what though. I'm like you in that I don't have strong feelings about U2 one way or the other. Not a huge fan, but don't dislike them either. I listened to the album and I thought it was quite good. I never would have bought it though so their strategy worked in regard to me in that I listened to something I otherwise wouldn't have.

But I think with Madonna tend to have much stronger feelings about her music than they do about U2. People tend to either really love Madonna and her music or they really hate her. That's one reason why it wouldn't be a good idea for Madonna.