Justin Timberlake Calls Madonna His "Ninja" on Her BD, Sparks Twitter Outrage

XXL

Justin Timberlake Calls Madonna His "Ninja" on Her Birthday, Sparks Twitter Outrage

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/justin-timberlake-calls-madonna-his-ninja-sparks-twitter-outrage-2014188

1408368804_justin-timberlake-madonna-lg.

Justin Timberlake found himself the target of widespread Twitter outrage this weekend when he allegedly sent Madonna a birthday tweet calling her his "mother chucking ninja." Followers quickly pounced on him for his use of the phrase, which is commonly understood as an alternate way of saying "mother f---ing n---a."

The tweet, which has since been deleted, reportedly read: "A happiest of Bdays to my mother chucking ninja, @Madonna!! Hope you have a great one, M!"

Users took him to task immediately after it was posted, responding with tweets like, "I just ended my relationship w/Justin," and "Get Justin Timberlake the f--k out of here." Some seemed to point out the unfortunate timing of his tweet, given the situation in Ferguson, Mo.

"Justin Timberlake chose *this* week to call Madonna 'my ninja'?" one wrote. "I just can't."

As Grantland pointed out in 2012, "ninja" has been used in the past by other stars, too. Katy Perry, for example, substituted it when she covered Kanye West's "N----s in Paris" during a Radio 1 performance that year.

No doubt because of the outrage, Timberlake deleted his birthday message to his "4 Minutes" duet partner Madonna, who turned 56 on Saturday, Aug. 16. One day later, he retweeted a message from Matt Morris about the events in Ferguson: "The world is watching #Ferguson. [And we pray.]"

lajustin02.jpg

Justin Timberlake may be able to text Jay Z and Timbaland at a moment’s notice, but perhaps he has been overestimating the credit limit on his Black card.

Madonna celebrated her 56th birthday over the weekend and the 20/20 Experience composer had every bit of sincerity when he saluted her for another year of life. His choice of words in doing so, however, were highly questionable.

“A happiest of Bdays to my mother chucking ninja, @Madonna!! Hope you have a great one, M!,” he exclaimed. Even the most casual inhabitant of the Hip-Hop culture knows that “ninja” is a visual and auditory safe substitute for the n-word. And Timberlake, a benefactor of a huge career that bridges the best of pop and R&B, clearly was aware of this as well.

Almost immediately, the tweet was deleted but the collateral damage was inevitable. A public defender might argue that Madonna may thrive on the word, seeing that her comfort level with the hood appears to be clearly intact, but two wrongs still don’t calculate a right solution.

Flip through the pages below to see the outrage the birthday tweet sparked. Barring the opaque cop out that there are bigger issues in the world, let us know if you think JT should be excused for his salutation or not in the comments below.

tumblr_lwrnd0TRAE1qct9uno1_1280.jpg

:lol:

The 4M S&S outfit came to mind first

Although in the birthday thread someone mentioned that Ninja stood for something else

I wasn't aware of what it stood for, I just know that JT is generally a douche up to no good

He came honeymooning in Italy and said or did something really dumb, can't recall the exact story though

I read this article this morning and thought the same thing. Much ado about nothing. Zzzz...

Luckily we have more exciting things to look forward to on the Madonna horizon.

I just can't with this society anymore.....

Everybody looking for the slightest thing they can target, point the finger at, and wage war.

When you look at some of the horrible things that go on in this world and then you see people getting upset over this, it makes you wonder what on earth is going on. He was not even being insulting or rude. Truly an over-reaction.

When you look at some of the horrible things that go on in this world and then you see people getting upset over this, it makes you wonder what on earth is going on. He was not even being insulting or rude. Truly an over-reaction.

I think the same. So many things are wrong, and people seem to be pissed by words or things like that.

Guest Rocco Papa

Oversensitivity at its best.

He shouldn't have deleted the tweet. Context is everything and he clearly didn't use it in a racist context. And to all those people who say that he should understand how others can have an issue with it... NO he shouldn't. THEY shouldn't have an issue with it because the context wasn't racist. End of story.

I've said it once, I'll say it a million times - Context & Intent (and reading/listening comprehension) are lost today.

Real oppressors probably love shit like this. The perfect distraction.

And those constantly 'offended' already think they're on some sort of moral/intellectual high horse.