Show some love for the "Live to Tell" VIDEO

Crystal Coffin

While the song itself has received praises it rightfully deserves, I believe not enough has been said about its overlooked video. What she actually does in it? She just sits, stands, stares at you, and her megastar presence captivates your mind.

The whole "Live to Tell" release is Madonna's first major musical and image transformation, it was a very bold move of her, and it paid off to prove that she's not a boring pop act who will desperately try to recreate the same sound over and over again but instead, a brilliant chameleon to be taken seriously :thumbsup:

I remember my first reaction to this song and video. I thought Madonna had turned old. No more dancing, no more fun songs. Just sitting in a chair in her granny dress picking her toes. lol As a child, the "will I grow old" line scared me because it was the first time I realized or thought about the fact that I would grow up. It was definitely a transition for her and myself in a way.

It's as bare-bones as you can get in a video, but it's effective enough.

While one of her biggest hits and somewhat about abuse, "Live to Tell" wouldn't reach its CULTURALLY ENRICHING zenith until 2006, though.

and the images from the movie, work well. Jamie Foley directed both the movie and video. Ironicailly enough Madonna's "acting" in the video is convincing. you feel this is someone who has gone through real pain in her life and was effected by it. She looks absolutely stunning in the video. I was too young at the time to appreciate this grown up Madonna. With those heavy, polished synths and deep heavy drum machine, the song is hauntingly beautiful.

I love this video, I wasn't alive when it first came out but looking back on Madonna's videography there is something special when I get to this video, the beautiful song fits the video so well, very haunting, and a huge transition from her Boy Toy image.

Guest bluejean

Is it true there is a version of this video without the movie scenes and just Madonna?

I remember reading that years ago online but I've never seen it.

This video and song was one of the bravest things that Madonna has done. Her first video since the whole "like a virgin" era and she changed her look completely. While I loved her clothes, hair, style and image previously, the transformation was so amazing that it was commented about everywhere. Remember too that girls everywhere copied her previous look completely - myself included. I think she looked breathtakingly beautiful as well. Madonna always looked gorgeous previously but this video clip really showed up her face and eyes. Love the scenes of her and also the song.

She loves these simple dresses! So housewife. And she has the best look ever, only in Bad Girl video could get closer to this perfection. The song is of of my anthems, I feel empowered when by myself, feeling strong and safe, like the image I think she portrays.

I remember seeing this video for the first time when I was little and being obsessed with how she looked. She had transformed (seemingly overnight in my eyes) from the "Boy Toy" image I'd come to know to a whole new person.

The "will I grow old" line scared me too, because it made me think about the passage of time seriously for the first time ... or as seriously as a little kid could. I didn't like the idea of Madonna getting old, it made me feel sad. And here we sit, 30 years later lol.