What makes Madonna songs so special?

Bill

There are lots and lots of great pop songs out there with catchy melodies, fun lyrics, groovy beats, etc. What is it about M's work that sets it apart from the rest??

I mean, really, what could be better than this?

For me, it's all about the voice and the melody. If i don't get Madonna's voice in a song, it's pretty sure that i won't be feeling it. That happens to me with "Miles Away", even though it's beautifull sung. But "Hearbeat", where she's struggling and it's not precisely her best effor, has the Madonna touch.

In terms of melody, i don't like generic ones. That's why i'm not much into GGW, even though i listen to it a lot because it's very catchy. I like GMAYL more because even though it's pretty silly, it has the Madonnesque melody.

When melody and voice combine, the result is mesmerizing:

I don't know if it's the best song or not. My relationship with Madonna's music is so particular (i guess it's the same with any other fan) that i demand warmth and melody more than quality, i guess. That's why i love Celebration a lot even though some people here call it "generic". The beats may be "generic", but her voice melody is beautiful.

If i would give and advice to Madonna (she wouldn't listen to me and would stare at me as if i had given her an hydrangea) my advice would be: no matter what you sing, be sure that you can play that song as a ballad in the piano. If that's the case, then you have a real good track, you just need a good production".

:) Actually, I don't think it is! Like I said, there are tons of songs that have all of those elements, but Madonna's greatest songs have something else.

I don't know how to explain it but I do know that I love more of Madonna's songs compared to other artists. There are so many that are brilliant and with so many different styles, moods, meanings and emotions.

totally random, but I love how she pronounces things, like when she sings 'you hearrrrrt is not open', I like her 'arrrs'

I also think she has an angelic voice especially in the 80s like in like a prayer

also random but I adore her 'Mmmmms' like in I'll remember or Secret or Frozen, anyways her voice is transcendental

totally random, but I love how she pronounces things, like when she sings 'you hearrrrrt is not open', I like her 'arrrs'

I also think she has an angelic voice especially in the 80s like in like a prayer

also random but I adore her 'Mmmmms' like in I'll remember or Secret or Frozen, anyways her voice is transcendental

True, Her voice is very under-rated, She does have a very angelic voice in a lot of songs. Like a Prayer, Cherish, La Isla Bonita, Frozen, Masterpiece to name but a few. Other times her voice is more raw and pleading. I just love her voice and how she uses it in so many different ways to convey emotion. Something that very few singers can do with authenticity.

mmm....comparing to other pop singers....madonna is into it...others are not. also...there is this unperfect voice that sings like most ordinary people do and by that they can relate to it. and above the all..she really knows how to deliver song to stay in your head and you never get bored. there are so many songs that i love and love but after months i m sick of them. with m songs...they always grove and i can always connected with something new in them.

^^ Agree with everyone that huge part of it is the emotion she expresses through her voice & the melodies. I love her voice & it pisses me off when so many people tell me her vocals are not that great & there are so many better female singers :ohno:

There's an energy and life force in Madonna's best vocal recordings that's infectious and enticing. Think about Open Your Heart. There are Madonna-esque themes too -longing and being an outsider, but confident that you'll change things through force of personality. Can't Stop, Into the groove etc.

Also, I find even in her most melancholy ballads, there's a sense of resolution and life going on; she's never been helpless like a Britney song or an advert for chic suicide like Lana Del Ray. Live To Tell, You'll See, Take A Bow, Power of Goodbye, Time Stood Still, Has to be -all sad, but all someone seeing life beyond and making sense of the situation, not just being engulfed by it.

It's magical. Every word that comes out of her mouth are magical. She knows how to touch people with her voice.

Love Spent is a brilliant example of it! She is amazing!

YES.

Btw i agree, her voice and her melodies. She's just so great!

Exactly -it's her!

She may not be a powerhouse vocalist with an 8 octave range but what she does and does so expertly is deliver songs with true emotion- I believe what she is singing.

I'd rather listen to someone who makes me feel something than someone with an impressive technically perfect voice who leaves me feeling nothing at all.

As others said, I love her voice! It has that special unique quality with emotion even though it may not be technically perfect.

But what I love about her music also, is she has her unique style, there is something that makes her songs very Madonna, but at the same time all her songs are different and they don't sound the same, so you don't get bored. Some artists have their signature style which is nice, but then they sort of write the same song over and over and it gets boring and you can barely distinguish one from another.

In the same vein, she has songs for different moods. She has ballady more artistic deeper songs, but also more fun lighthearted songs. So there's a Madonna song for every mood. A lot of artists tend to do just one or the other of those things.

Her attention to detail; she immerses herself into that specific genre and alters her voice to fit the mood. She plays characters, versions of herself, and always produces an authentic/ fully-realized sound. Everything she does is always 100% & I like that :wow:

I am also going to say the same answer others have said. Her voice.

On a technical level, yes, Celine Dion, Whitney Houston, etc are better " singers". However there is a quality to her voice I can't really describe, that makes it uniquely her. Sometimes her voice is low and sometimes it is high but it's her pronunciation that makes her music unique. As much as other singers try to sound like her, no one really captures her voice.

For example, when there is a leak of a rare song we've never heard before, one of the first things I "look" for if it is REALLY her singing. Her voice really cant be matched because it is so unique.

I do have to say though, I think alot of people don't give her the credit for being a good singer. She's better than people realize. Also it was truly amazing how her voice change with the Evita voice training, I also have ot say i like the fact that her voice still sounds like her but she can sing in all different styles. like on Liquid Love her voice sounds so pure, clear and airy. But on Music, Erotica and Keep the trance for example it sounds street and edgy and more raw. KTT sounds like early Madonna with a post modern twist to it. Also her personality comes through using her vocals. which helps push her uniqueness to another level.

Edited by TriggerMGee