1985 Forum discussing Madonna

This was posted somewhere else, don't know if its true but seems quite interesting, thought I'd share

This is a link to a forum from the year 1985 discussing Madonna. It's very interesting seeing the internet utilized in this way in it's early stages. It took 2 days to post one message. Very cool.

I didn't even know it was possible to do things like this until the mid 90's eek.gif

https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!topic/net.women/QT77L8mBImI/discussion

This was posted somewhere else, don't know if its true but seems quite interesting, thought I'd share

Yeah, I saw this on twitter earlier today. Of course this other fan base were saying that people are saying the same things about their fave today.

Is there a proof this isn't just some kind of trick with the date? AFAIK the internet only became public in the early 90's? Quite unsure if this is real.

Many years ago i saw this thing at the former madonnamad board, at that time people already said that this is indeed from the 80s. It seems that google somehow researched the depths of early internet days and found many things related to that time... including Madonna being discussed... i don't know if i really believe on it though.

I don't think these are fake. I remember reading quite a long time ago a similar archive of conversations about Kate Bush from 1985 with exactly the same formatting etc.

Is there a proof this isn't just some kind of trick with the date? AFAIK the internet only became public in the early 90's? Quite unsure if this is real.

Well the posts or 'bulletins' -as they call it there- are signed by university professors, scholars and, before going public, the internet was first used by military, academics and scientists for research purposes. So it might be real.

We can look for Richard Jeffreys ( British Citizen Overseas ) and ask him what does he think about Madonna now. Because he clearly thought that she was going to be over in 1990 :chuckle:

"One of the postings on this topic claimed that Madonna's
image is fabricated by the (presumably male-dominated) music
industry. I replied in an earlier posting that everything
I've read about her indicates that that isn't so.
After thinking about it, I realized that's probably why she's
so threatening, because she CHOOSES to act that way, and
portray herself that way, and makes no apologies for it.

How much easier it would be if we could simply blame Madonna
on the sexist record industry."

#unapologeticbitch1985

113966.gif

i know about an old forum (im talking late 80s, early 90s) with actual accurate posts from that time. obviously it wasn't the typical forum we know of today, but people could share their thoughts about certain topics, madonna being one of them. although it was less serious as the "forum" posted above. there were more discussions of other popstars and who's better than who etc.

im 100% certain this one is accurate. it sounds very believable for the time, including the details of her belt buckle, the pittsburg show, people wondering what they'll see in penthouse for their 17page spread of exclusive madonna photos etc..

I don't think these are fake. I remember reading quite a long time ago a similar archive of conversations about Kate Bush from 1985 with exactly the same formatting etc.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/net.music/r8MNL4dezpQ

That's right, KB's new album "Hounds of Love" has *entered* the British

charts at NUMBER ONE, knocking Madonna (insert many side remarks here)

out of that position, which she only held for one week with "Like

Perversion".

And what makes you think that the same people that buy Madonna albums

buy Kate Bush albums? I'd say the intersection is relatively small

considering that Kate Bush does wonderful intelligent art rock and

Madonna does awful mindless insulting formula pop dreck.

:newspaper:

Guest Rachelle of London

Fake fake fake.

AS IF everyone can afford computer and the internet back in the mid 80s.

WTF. Not everyone's a broke ass. I'm pretty certain many people could've afforded a computer back in those days, especially the 80s when the worlds economy was a lot stronger than it is now.

I hope it's real. Would love to see what these people think now

This is old news and I believe, real. It stems from people in universities having alt.fan type newsgroups, it goes back to like 1980. That said, the use of internet terminology like * to highlight a word or "flame" makes me doubt it. I want it to be real. Instant messaging programs existed in the 80s, so I don't see why this couldn't in a primitive way.

Fake fake fake.

AS IF everyone can afford computer and the internet back in the mid 80s.

I too doubt this is real, but not for that reason.

It's not about not being able to afford internet, it's about internet not being public back in the 80's. I really can't imagine how this can be real if there isn't a reasonable explanation.

I too doubt this is real, but not for that reason.

It's not about not being able to afford internet, it's about internet not being public back in the 80's. I really can't imagine how this can be real if there isn't a reasonable explanation.

exactly.

The MLVC posts go back to like 1993, I dunno, maybe some could use mailing groups a few years before that. There must be a way to check this and I'm sure google must have been asked before about its veracity. Can anyone be bothered checking Wikipedia? lol.

It's quite elaborate and meticulous to be faked with the dates.. it WAS Kate Bush vs Madonna on the British album charts back then, with each going in and out of #1 to be replaced by the other. Someone must be very bored.

Mark I at NPL in the UK,[10]ARPANET, CYCLADES,[11][12] Merit Network,[13] Tymnet, and Telenet, were developed in the late 1960s and early 1970s using a variety of protocols. The ARPANET in particular led to the development of protocols for internetworking, where multiple separate networks could be joined together into a network of networks.[citation needed]

The first two nodes of what would become the ARPANET were interconnected between Leonard Kleinrock's Network Measurement Center at the UCLA's School of Engineering and Applied Science and Douglas Engelbart's NLS system at SRI International (SRI) inMenlo Park, California, on 29 October 1969.[14] The third site on the ARPANET was the Culler-Fried Interactive Mathematics center at the University of California at Santa Barbara, and the fourth was the University of Utah Graphics Department. In an early sign of future growth, there were already fifteen sites connected to the young ARPANET by the end of 1971.[15][16] These early years were documented in the 1972 film Computer Networks: The Heralds of Resource Sharing.

Early international collaborations on ARPANET were sparse. For various political reasons, European developers were concerned with developing the X.25 networks.[17] Notable exceptions were the Norwegian Seismic Array (NORSAR) in June 1973,[18] followed in 1973 by Sweden with satellite links to the Tanum Earth Station and Peter T. Kirstein's research group in the UK, initially at theInstitute of Computer Science, University of London and later at University College London.[citation needed]

In December 1974, RFC 675 – Specification of Internet Transmission Control Program, by Vinton Cerf, Yogen Dalal, and Carl Sunshine, used the term internet as a shorthand for internetworking and later RFCs repeat this use.[19]

Access to the ARPANET was expanded in 1981 when the National Science Foundation (NSF) developed the Computer Science Network (CSNET). In 1982, the Internet Protocol Suite (TCP/IP) was standardized and the concept of a world-wide network of fully interconnected TCP/IP networks called the Internet was introduced.

300px-NSFNET-backbone-T3.png
magnify-clip.png
T3 NSFNET Backbone, c. 1992

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet#History

I think it's real look at their addresses it's the ARPANET

Chris Koenigsberg
ckk@cmu-cs-g.arpa, ckk@cmu-itc-linus.arpa

Keebler { hua@cmu-cs-gandalf.arpa }

They are Scholars using arpa

Sean Casey UUCP: {cbosgd,anlams,hasmed}!ukma!sean

- Department of Mathematics ARPA: ukma!sean@ANL-MCS.ARPA
- University of Kentucky

OMG they had .net parties :dead:

I was going to post an article about a particular aspect of my
relationship with my SO but a couple of things stopped me. One, my SO
reads this group sometimes. She does not have access to the net, but
she reads it with me when she comes to visit. The other thing is that
she comes to net.parties with me sometimes so people who she meets will
know some things about her that she might not want known.

I suppose it would be a good idea if I asked her what sorts of things
she minded (or didn't mind) being said about her on the net. I was
wondering though how other people whose SO's or spouses occasionally
read about themselves on the net, or who other netters meet
occasionally, feel about posting personal details about their SO's or
spouses. Do you generally ask permission before posting? Are there
certain things about your relationship you wouldn't post? Do you think
this affects other people's perceptions of your SO? Do you think if you
are critical of your SO on the net that you are not giving them a chance
to defend themselves.

--gregbo

https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!topic/net.women/Kk1JHQKwtq4

I feel like an internet archaeologist or something :lmao:

I read this ages ago. It's always fun to see people dismissing her for no real reason. Some things never change.