Madonna & Pharrell had a scuffle while recording "Hard Candy"

Ugly Hecty

Pharrell Williams recalls studio “scuffle” with Madonna

Pharrell Williams has revealed that he and Madonna had a “nice little scuffle” when working on the Queen of Pop’s 2008 album Hard Candy.

Williams co-produced half of the album alongside Madonna, including the hit single Give It 2 Me, but the pair didn’t always see eye to eye in the recording studio.

“The gist of it was that we kept doing this one take over and over and I just saw where it was going,” Williams recalled in a US radio interview yesterday (April 29).

“I saw her beginning to get frustrated, so I was trying to get her to deviate from that and just try something different and she was like, ‘I got it!’”

When Williams snapped back at Madonna, saying, “Listen, you can’t just talk to me any kind of way,” she suggested they continue their conversation outside the recording studio.

“We went upstairs and had our little battle,” Williams explained. “It was cool and we hugged it out.”

Madonna and Pharrell Williams have not worked together since Hard Candy.

http://attitude.co.uk/pharrell-recalls-studio-scuffle-madonna/

I hope they're on good terms again. I wouldn't mind 1-2 tracks on the new album, provided the music doesn't sound too much like his.

Wasn't exactly a scuffle! To me scuffle means a physical fight. Just a normal everyday discussion.

Always wondered if M had any major conflicts while recording

I think she's had heated exchanges on most of her albums. Collaboration is not a causal process with a person who is opinionated and strong willed as Madonna.

I'm guessing this is the same scuffle where Madonna cried. HC wouldn't be HC without the Timbo tracks, but I've always preferred the Pharrell tracks. I was (and am) totally cool with her doing a full album with him. I love Funkdonna and Pharrell brought her out more than anyone she's worked with since her first album (barring maybe Steve Bray). To me, Pharrell took her "back to her roots" while Timbo brought the more contemporary sound for HC.

You can tell she was having a hard time during the recording process.

Definitely. She seems like such an experienced professional that I don't think she'd ever cry in the recording studio unless she was going through SERIOUS stress in her personal life.

the impending divorce from Guy.

Yes, definitely - also, I'm pretty sure she had just finished up the press and legal nightmare with David's adoption right before the recording sessions.

Yeah, they are friends. I think of "Give it to Me" and the fact that if any "younger" artist recorded the song, it would have been an easy number one hit.

Give it 2 Me is such a great song, and should have been the hit that Blurred Lines was.

Guest bluejean

They should've scuffled into the bedroom and gotten it on film. :provoke:

Exactly. They're the perfect match. Two ageless vampires.

Definitely. She seems like such an experienced professional that I don't think she'd ever cry in the recording studio unless she was going through SERIOUS stress in her personal life.

True.