BBC Newsnight journalist Kirsty Wark lifts lid on 'controlling' Madonna

XXL

BBC journalist lifts lid on 'controlling' Madonna

http://www.independent.ie/woman/celeb-news/bbc-journalist-lifts-lid-on-controlling-madonna-30092508.html

david3.jpg

Pop icon Madonna was a super diva when she was first questioned about adopting her Malawi-born son in a sit-down interview. The star was interviewed by journalist Kirsty Wark on BBC2's Newsnight in 2006, amid a wave of criticisms of her adoption of an African baby. Speaking on

The John Murray Show on RTÉ Radio 1, Mrs Wark said, ''She didn't like it when I asked a couple of questions, you know, about the adoption yet that was what the interview was about.''

''You could see she was becoming uncomfortable and really after the interview there was a complete switch off,'' she said. The journalist recalled how the superstar had dictated the lighting concept for the interview and had ''controlled absolutely everything''.

''When we got there we realised that her lighting rig had been all set up and it was beautiful and it was filmy, gauzy and all fabulous and there I was looking completely different with a mic and one lighting camera,'' she said. ''She controls absolutely everything and I can understand that, you have an image you want to protect. She controlled absolutely everything for the set up in that interview,'' the BBC journalist added.

Wark said it was difficult to warm to Madonna because the singer appeared to have a ''guard'' up. ''I admire her but I didn't necessarily take to her but I didn't take against her. I wouldn't mind sitting down and having a glass of wine with her but I wonder would she ever be off her guard,'' she said.

The journalist interviewed the music icon after she received a bashing in the media for adopting the little boy from Africa, David Banda. 'We had been asking to interview Madonna for a while and then of course she adopted David Banda and there was a great hoo-ha,'' she said.

I remember this interview and I don't blame Madonna one bit for being uneasy and having her guard up during this interview. It was a very, very tumultuous time for her and the media's intrusiveness was just vile. The interview was probably only done because of Madonna's PR team pressuring her to say something to the media and leave it at that. She did this one for the Brits and Oprah for the Americans. But I think she's naturally somewhat more 'wary' of British journalists given all the shit she's gotten from the British press over the years (still the most vile in my opinion.)

The fact that this journalist is talking about it years later just shows what a formidable woman Madonna is. End of.

I don't blame Madonna one bit for being uneasy and having her guard up during this interview. It was a very, very tumultuous time for her and the interview was probably only done because of Madonna's PR team pressuring her to say something to the media and leave it at that.

The fact that this journalist is talking about it years later just shows what a formidable woman Madonna is. End of.

Exactly. I still find it utterly dreadful that she was so heavily criticized for adopting a child which is something that is wonderful and caring. I think she even mentioned that going through the intense hatred and criticism thrown at her was as painful as giving birth or words to that effect.

I remember this interview and I don't blame Madonna one bit for being uneasy and having her guard up during this interview. It was a very, very tumultuous time for her and the media's intrusiveness was just vile. The interview was probably only done because of Madonna's PR team pressuring her to say something to the media and leave it at that. She did this one for the Brits and Oprah for the Americans. But I think she's naturally somewhat more 'wary' of British journalists given all the shit she's gotten from the British press over the years (still the most vile in my opinion.)

:clap: :clap:

Madonna is "controlling" simply because she wasn't happy with cameras and photographers hounding her then 13-month-old son from Heathrow right to her property in Marylebone AND camping outside of it for a fucking week :doh:

:thumbsup:

well of course! the BBC were the biggest anti madonna adoption freaks out there at the time! of course madonna was nervous and had a guard up. the whole world turned against her for adopting a child with her husband!

sorry for showing passion but when it comes to her adoption i'll always support her. she was treated like shit for giving a home to a child. there were reports she cried after the oprah interview. I really felt sorry for her at the time.

I really don't like watching this interview because you can see how uncomfortable she is discussing all these private issues with a journalist - what her adoption journey was, how long she was discussing it with Guy etc. In fact I think she handled it with a lot of poise and professionalism.

When you consider how much she hates doing interviews to actually promote her work, you can imagine how much she hated doing this - which was basically a gross invasion of her privacy really.

Kirsty Wark's claim to fame: an interview with Madonna 8 years ago.

She just needed to remind everyone why she exists.

:lmao:

It's like that slut Zoe Ball who used to go on ALL THE TIME about how Madonna was horrible to her and that other dickhead Johnny Vaughan who would never shut up about how she flirted with him but wanted to make sure her ears didn't stick out or something. :rotfl:

And yes, they're all British journalists.

I really don't like watching this interview because you can see how uncomfortable she is discussing all these private issues with a journalist - what her adoption journey was, how long she was discussing it with Guy etc. In fact I think she handled it with a lot of poise and professionalism.

When you consider how much she hates doing interviews to actually promote her work, you can imagine how much she hated doing this - which was basically a gross invasion of her privacy really.

It's funny cause I was watching the Oprah interview a few nights ago and I never really noticed how uncomfortable she was during it.

:lmao:

It's like that slut Zoe Ball who used to go on ALL THE TIME about how Madonna was horrible to her and that other dickhead Johnny Vaughan who would never shut up about how she flirted with him but wanted to make sure her ears didn't stick out or something. :rotfl:

And yes, they're all British journalists.

Oh I remember both, never could stand the pair of them. Madonna was right at being allegedly horrible to her, good for you Madonna. Fully approved in this case.

Also i remember that interview Vaughan brags about - his dick must be really tiny to make such deluded claims.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/newsnight/6106468.stm

_42264480_madge_203.jpg

Did Madonna bend the rules? Or did the authorities bend the rules for her? I'm going to ask her to respond to one woman, Joyce Dean, a teaching assistant in York, originally from Aberdeenshire.

In an article she applauded Madonna's action, but is upset that it hasn't happened that way for her. She has been waiting for two years to bring an 11 year-old orphan, Caroline, to Britain and there are probably others in the same situation.

Does Madonna realise how difficult it is for people with neither celebrity nor money?

Also I'm interested to know what Madonna would have done had David Banda tested positive for HIV. It would have been a huge dilemma. And Madonna has promised to learn the local dialect.

Is her husband going to follow suit?

Beyond that, I want to find out what she's up to next. I hear talk that she's optioned a book and is planning to turn it into a film which she will direct. What will Guy Ritchie make of that? Is there a danger she might upstage him once too often?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/newsnight/6106468.stm

_42264480_madge_203.jpg

Did Madonna bend the rules? Or did the authorities bend the rules for her? I'm going to ask her to respond to one woman, Joyce Dean, a teaching assistant in York, originally from Aberdeenshire.

In an article she applauded Madonna's action, but is upset that it hasn't happened that way for her. She has been waiting for two years to bring an 11 year-old orphan, Caroline, to Britain and there are probably others in the same situation.

Does Madonna realise how difficult it is for people with neither celebrity nor money?

Also I'm interested to know what Madonna would have done had David Banda tested positive for HIV. It would have been a huge dilemma. And Madonna has promised to learn the local dialect.

Is her husband going to follow suit?

Beyond that, I want to find out what she's up to next. I hear talk that she's optioned a book and is planning to turn it into a film which she will direct. What will Guy Ritchie make of that? Is there a danger she might upstage him once too often?

what the fuck? ugh sit your ass down!

Second part of the Independent article about her radio interview about her interviewing Madonna almost 8 years ago

http://www.independent.ie/woman/celeb-news/bbc-journalist-lifts-lid-on-controlling-madonna-30092508.html

03lede_mad.2.480.jpg

Wark recalled how the singer was eager to restore her public image and show the public she was serious about being a mother to the poverty-stricken child. ''I'm sure Madonna is lovely to her friends, I'm sure she has a lovely private life but it was definitely a case of, I need to do this interview because I need to try and show people that I'm not a bad person.

'I'm a person that is a fit person for a lovely little boy from Malawi,'' she said. During the interview, Madonna claimed Banda's birth family abandoned him. ''From the day that he was left in the orphanage he was not visited by any extended family members and that's really why I became interested in him,'' Madonna said.

The boy's family disagreed and insisted that they did visit him but believed he would have a better life with the multi-millionaire. She regularly interrupted host Wark throughout the interview and became ''uncomfortable''.

Can someone post the oprah interview. I don't think I've seen it.

Had not seen this one. M looked beautiful and she was very pleasant I think.

I've always been curious if Oprah really wanted M on the show to talk about the adoption or if it was just M's people asking for the chance to address it. Cause Oprah was serving alotta stank face in that interview. More than her usual amount....