Swept away : 10 Best (and 10 Worst) Foreign Film Remakes

mamifero

WORST:

Swept Away (2002)

Original: Travolti da un insolito destino nell'azzurro mare d'agosto (1974)

Whereas the Italian original was sexy and fun, Swept Away taught us two things. 1) Madonna should never work with her husband (a lesson we really should have taken to heart after 1986's Shanghai Surprise disastrously paired her and then husband Sean Penn) and 2) Madonna should not be in movies. The Guy Ritchie-helmed film was so unflattering to Lady M from less-than-kind lighting to the ridiculously over-the-top lines she had to say to the even more ridiculously over-the-top way she chose to say them. Sure, it's cute that Adriano Giannini played the same role his father Giancarlo originated almost 30 years prior, but the remake lacked any real purpose, except as evidence maybe in the Madonna-Ritchie divorce trial. —Jake Perlman

http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,20483133_20760608,00.html#30059558

I have Swept Away on VHS & DVD. I LOVE IT! As far as hot mess films go, it's a classic, filled with one-liners/ quotable moments. Among her many bad acting roles (a dowdy mom in TNBT? REALLY!?), Amber Leighton is by far the most believable.

I think soon as critics hear madonna is working on a movie, they can't wait to slaughter her, it's amazing considering how much of a hard time she has had with movies that she still does them,

Remember seeing the film years ago with my mom. I enjoyed watching it for the most part, but the film is not good, and some of the acting sucks.

The original is considered a foreign language classic by critics and the general public. .

First off.. Madonna looks great on the big screen. A couple exceptions... in this film and TNBT, there were many scenes that didn't flatter her. That said, I agree this film was a stinker, especially the first half. The first half was just beyond ridiculous before they got on the island. From there, it did get better. The highlight is the dream sequence of Madonna dancing. I also found the ending very convincing on Madonna's part as an actress. It only proves that Madonna is best visually projecting her character. She visually looked emotionally upset. It's usually when she speaks that she sounds stiff and non-spontaneous. That all said, some of her worst films I enjoyed. I loved her character in Shanghai Surprise as well as in Who's That Girl. In fact, Who's That Girl is my most favorite film of hers even though the whole story/plot was just plain awful.

i don't get why people say she looked awful? I thought she looked wonderful.... very hot!

She looked dreadful. Too skinny (borderline anorexic), old in the face (exhaustion post-DWT) and that fake tan was ridiculous.

It was the worst she had ever looked in any of her films. Ever.

Who's That Girl is my most favorite film of hers even though the whole story/plot was just plain awful.

I love Who's That Girl.It is my favorite Madonna film,too.Madonna is hilarious in it,and I don't even think that the storyline is so terrible.

I played this back to back with Glitter and Crossroads in a "bad movies" marathon with friends. This one had the best reception. And we couldn't make it through Glitter :o

She looked dreadful. Too skinny (borderline anorexic), old in the face (exhaustion post-DWT) and that fake tan was ridiculous.

It was the worst she had ever looked in any of her films. Ever.

I agree,Madonna didn't look very good in this film.I think they started filming this movie too soon after the DWT ended.Madonna looked 'old' and tired.

During all of 2001/2002 Madonna looked awful. The styles were completely unflattering from the hair to the clothes. Also, Madonna's body looked gross. Same as in TNBT when she takes her dress off looking in the mirror. Awful. Why include such unflattering shots.