Remembering the simple times when the EY video was considered shocking

acko

Before all these pop princesses basically started acting like cheap sluts,

completely missing the point (except 4 Xtina of course :chuckle: but I digress),

there was the Madonna re-arranging female iconography in popular culture.

Obviously my catholic mother was pissed off 'cuz of the LAP video, but she truly

fell out with her when she disgustingly grabbed her crotch like a man & 'OMG, is

she naked on that bed, Jesus Christ what a whore...'

They made up when Madonna gave birth 2 Lola, although they were on speaking

terms again around STR. :lol:

:rotfl:

Funnily enough my mama never had an issue with the "Express Yourself" video or any of that.. but the Blond Ambition Tour was a whole other story. By the time Erotica and SEX were released, Madonna was persona non grata in the Suede household.

They made up around Evita (she cried at the end :( ) Ray of Light, but she still maintains that Madonna should only sing ballads and her voice is not suitable for big dance numbers because "she's not Donna Summer". She found her version of "I Feel Love" quite insulting to Ms Summer's legacy :lmao:

madonna-express-yourself-o.gif

Loved this video and I still think her look in this green dress is one of the most stylish looks ever seen in a video clip,.

I was lucky in that my mother was a huge Madonna fan just like me. She thought the video clip was incredible, artistic and brilliant. Said the controversy was just sexism as Michael Jackson was always grabbing his crotch and Prince had very sexual videos and lyrics. She always said that Madonna would be the most famous female entertainer of all time and had more charisma than any other female pop star in history. Also thought that Madonna was a great vocalist and always defended her when people called her a "slut" etc. I remember her telling a family friend who was saying what a bad influence she was that " you love Mick Jagger and look at his music and womanizing" :laugh: When that article appeared about Cyndi Lauper lasting longer than Madonna, she said that it would be the other way around.

I was a teenager at the time of the release, but never listened to the song or watched the video until JML single was released, and started to be a fan.

I still held negative feelings about M at the time of EY because her two previous albums were so commercial, and I knew so many bimbos who liked her music during the mid-eighties.

I now say that it's one of her best videos! Love It!!!

I feel like no girls got it. they're all doing it the typical way (thank you janet, britney etc..) no prob with that but I hate how they compare them to Madonna and how she "started the cheap trend". Um no, the other girls cheapened it for their act.

I agree with christina though. her dirrty period is so much better than the typical britney video. ;)

my mother is more subtle than yours, acko. just a few weeks ago there was something about her grillz on tv. she taped it, and the moment I'm at her house she suddenly plays the M part randomly because she *hadnt had a chance of watching it* (until I'm at her place of course :lmao: and only playing the M part) "look it's so unhealthy. and you see? Madonna does that as well. See?"

She also doesn't like it when people in general see a worldwide famous artist more than once every five years, because "they have money enough". it's not about the concert experience, it's more important not to give money to the big artist

Let's not even mention Xtinct in the same breath as Madonna. She didn't get it either.

I'm annoyed that people lump Madonna in with all these silly teenagers like Miley Cyrus when it comes to their attention seeking nonsense. On some level, Madonna's antics were publicity bonanzas of course, but she explored new territory, she was a true original. And even at her raunchiest, there was an element of prestige to her work.

Xtincta, Miley… it's all so cheap and infantile. And stupid. Let's not even mention the music that goes along with their stupid "sexual awakenings." Give me a break.

A friend of mine used te say:

" It'll take two or three hundred years untill a new Madonna surfaces". I believe he' s true.

EY is perfection. Also, most expensive video of it's time.

Edited by Humby

In my first viewing of the EY video i had to keep changing the station back and forth because my little brother was in the room and i kept seeing things heading in xxx directions. It all seemed sort of dangerous and exciting and yes its weird that no kid today would think anything of it.

I never got how Jml got an 18 certificate rating in the Uk. Most of her scandals were so overblown but you still see how they make a scandal out of Madonna bearing her boob or something but Gaga can do full on nude shoot and gets no headlines at all.

Let's not even mention Xtinct in the same breath as Madonna. She didn't get it either.

I'm annoyed that people lump Madonna in with all these silly teenagers like Miley Cyrus when it comes to their attention seeking nonsense. On some level, Madonna's antics were publicity bonanzas of course, but she explored new territory, she was a true original. And even at her raunchiest, there was an element of prestige to her work.

Xtincta, Miley it's all so cheap and infantile. And stupid. Let's not even mention the music that goes along with their stupid "sexual awakenings." Give me a break.

Not too much on Godtina. She's undergoing a renaissance at the moment.

Guest Rachelle of London

Love this video! I love the bit where shes shouting "C'mon girls, do you believe in love..." That bit gives me chills...shes FLAWLESS in this video! abs flawless

Guest Pud Whacker

Before all these pop princesses basically started acting like cheap sluts,

completely missing the point (except 4 Xtina of course :chuckle: but I digress),

there was the Madonna re-arranging female iconography in popular culture.

Obviously my catholic mother was pissed off 'cuz of the LAP video, but she truly

fell out with her when she disgustingly grabbed her crotch like a man & 'OMG, is

she naked on that bed, Jesus Christ what a whore...'

They made up when Madonna gave birth 2 Lola, although they were on speaking

terms again around STR. :lol:

:rotfl:

Best ever! A Real Star with real controversy and real videos with real boundaries being broken.

There is nothing to rebel against today.

In this PC world, everything's acceptable.

Guest Not4Pussies

Every gay, every female, every person on earth should watch and be aware of this video. Knowing that Isaac didn't know it existed until 2009 makes me wonder how many people out there have probably never seen EY or any of her other amazing videos. That is a scary thought. The world needs to be schooled.

The Chart Show in the Uk only showed it up to te bit when she catch grabs on the staircase it was months before I saw the full thing on the acclaimed MTV Europe Madonna Weekends

Guest Pud Whacker

It's fabulous! Much thanks to the Celebration DVD, cuz prior to that, I didn't know it existed.

WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?!!!!

madonna-express-yourself-o.gif

Loved this video and I still think her look in this green dress is one of the most stylish looks ever seen in a video clip,.

I was lucky in that my mother was a huge Madonna fan just like me. She thought the video clip was incredible, artistic and brilliant. Said the controversy was just sexism as Michael Jackson was always grabbing his crotch and Prince had very sexual videos and lyrics. She always said that Madonna would be the most famous female entertainer of all time and had more charisma than any other female pop star in history. Also thought that Madonna was a great vocalist and always defended her when people called her a "slut" etc. I remember her telling a family friend who was saying what a bad influence she was that " you love Mick Jagger and look at his music and womanizing" :laugh: When that article appeared about Cyndi Lauper lasting longer than Madonna, she said that it would be the other way around.

Your mom is awesome :thumbsup:

WHAT!?

In fact, when EY was the request song @ the S&S Atlanta concert, I didn't know the words :rotfl:[/young fag]

Also, back in 2008, Madonna.com was my main resource for M's music video catalog: the site was HC themed at the time and the 'candy wall' streamed some of her vids. EY was not up there!