Why is RIT her worst tour?

Crystal Coffin

This should be fun to discuss...

Compared to the previous avant-garde DWT, it almost looked like a high school play. I can't believe that back then many fans actually preferred RIT just because it has the HITS :gross: The costumes were boring, the musical arrangements were LIMP. Contrary to its name, she didn't bring any reinvention...but she gave us the bland country version of LAP! Into the Hollywood Groove was highly offensive...what the hell was THAT?

And of course the ugly military choreography of EY...she also wasted an opportunity to actually reinvent one of her ballads by covering Imagine...God there are so many wrong things about this tour...it's a relief she came back with the classy CT and continued to amaze us with S&ST and MDNA..RIT to me remains a hugely flawed spot in her career...except for the amazing The Beast Within, Vogue and NKM...Frozen was good too, and maybe Mother and Father (with the nice Intervention interlude) but the rest is best forgotten. It's a no wonder even Madonna herself couldn't care less to release a DVD of its full show.

Guest Not4Pussies

it has it's good moments. that TBW intro? the arena shook when it was on

Vogue. NKM, AL, M+F, Bedtime Story, Holiday are my favorites

i was glad to see her do BU, PDP and CFY. that was nice

but yeah her costumes aside from the corset have been some of her worst on tour

the costume for the military section was pretty plain and awful. she should have worn the AL video costume instead.

and the stage was pretty simple and bare

all the LOONS at Madonnamad who obsessed about this tour, turned me off from it for a bit

i dont hate it though. this tour holds a special place for me because it was the tour i was moved

from the nose bleed seats to the front row. I saw those big beautiful eyes up close and pointed at her

during NF and she acknowledge me with a nod and smile.

It was really, really exciting at the time - the use of screens, the Steven Klein videos, all her old hits etc. - but she's done it 100x better since then and the song arrangements/staging concepts seem so weak now.

The tour has not aged well, that's for sure. Many of the costumes and sets were half-assed compared to DWT or other tours from the past decade, but it was hugely popular among fans in its time.

I was part of many M forums that were geeking out over it during its run. Many commented that she seemed to be genuinely enjoying herself during the show, unlike DWT, where she seemed to adopt the personas of the characters she was playing. And yes, many fans were genuinely excited to hear hits. It had been 10 years since she'd last performed "Vogue" and more than that for most of the setlist. Concerts are just plain fun when you're with a big group of people singing along together to a song you all know. (For this reason, I simply don't understand the bourgeois attitude many M fans today take towards the hits.)

Thinking back even to MDNA -- which featured its fair share of hits -- my then-boyfriend didn't lave the show saying "Wow, I can't believe the dance number in 'Celebration'" because no one ever heard "Celebration" before. But the moment we left Madison Square Garden, he said he loved that she included a snippet of "Papa Don't Preach." And everyone around us was drunk and laughing and talking about how awesome "Vogue" was or that she mixed "Born This Way" into "Express Yourself." We made friends with strangers talking about the singalong during "Like a Prayer."

I met a lot of people that same way at Reinvention -- and it was fun. I think that a lot of people had that experience during RIT and that it was cathartic for fans who'd seen her get the shit kicked out of her by the press in 2003.

So, yeah, it was amazing in its time. It was exactly what Madonna and her fans needed. But it doesn't really stand up when you go back and watch it now.

It doesn't stand up well next to all her other tours. Even WTG :chuckle:

Oh yeah, and...

BU on guitar? What a snoozefest. Bitch needs to CRAWL and WRITH.

that was a highlight. one of her greatest moments.

I know the lilac/champagne corset made the biggest impact, but oddly enough, I liked the last section the most (with the long kilts). I felt like the show didn't really pick up until the ending, speaking of which, that finale was EVERYTHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING!!! :wow: It isn't one of my favorite tours as a whole, but Holiday is definitely the best closing number thus far. And I say that with 100% confidence.

Sorry saw that tour twice with very good seats and most of the show was pretty amazing, vocals were pretty good, M looked great up close, and it had several songs from one of her best albums(AL).

I didn't care too much personally that she performed her mega commercial hits from the eighties, but The Beast Within, NKM, Frozen, DAD, Lament, BS (Interlude), Nothing Fails, Don't Tell Me, Mother & Father, Holiday, & Music were all great and entertaining.

I enjoyed this show much more live in person than when I saw S & S & Girlie Show, but I love S & S Blue Ray/itunes album

I loved it. Certainly, there are aspects of other tours that were greater and grander, but I simply loved this tour because it was the first tour at the time to feature a number of classics she hadn't performed in years if not only once before such as "Burning Up","Hanky Panky", "Deeper and Deeper", "Crazy For You", "Papa Don't Preach", "Material Girl" and "Into The Groove". I actually loved the military section. A cool re-invetion for "Express Yourself". And I enjoyed a lot of the American Life tracks performed. And then one of her best vocal performances came from the "Lament" song. I love the emotion she put into that performance.

NKM, Bedtime Stories interlude and Beast Within intro are OUTfuckingSTANDING and I've really grown to love Nothing Fails, Deeper and Deeper and Don't Tell Me from this tour. The rest, eh, falls a bit flat, esp the end, AL and EY. My least favorite performance of Vogue also resides within this tour.

I only like the first and last segments. There wasn't anything I liked in the middle, with the exception of Lament, American Life, and Mother And Father.

This is just my opinion, but I believe she didn't intent on touring for American Life. The tour seemed thrown together and rushed to me. Aside for the opening corset, all the other costumes seemed like regular clothing. Not a very exciting thing to see on a stage! And everything was so dark! No sets! I found that really weird at the time. The backdrops for The Best Within and Bedtime Story were great, but the staging in general seemed so bare.

I remember feeling at the time that Madonna had sold out. I love AL and it seemed to only be featured in show, not the star. It was intentionally overshadowed by the big hits. I'm glad she didn't do the same thing with any tour since. Confessions, S&S, and MDNA tours were all focused on the new material, as they should be.

I agree it felt very thrown together hence I suspect Madonna never releasing it on DVD - the sections didn't connect well and while there were some amazing moments such as Vogue, Crazy For You, Holiday, Music, Lament, Burning Up and that Bedtime Story interlude, it felt very much like American Life damage control which it was I guess and it served it's purpose especially in the USA. I never watch it or listen to it much but I love the tour program lol

I agree it felt very thrown together hence I suspect Madonna never releasing it on DVD - the sections didn't connect well and while there were some amazing moments such as Vogue, Crazy For You, Holiday, Music, Lament, Burning Up and that Bedtime Story interlude, it felt very much like American Life damage control which it was I guess and it served it's purpose especially in the USA. I never watch it or listen to it much but I love the tour program lol

My thoughts exactly.

Still, I felt it was a solid tour with great moments - I died when she did "Burning Up"! I think creatively, it didn't feel like a complete thought. In that respect, I felt let down after seeing DWT just 3 years before. TCT (of course) blew my socks off shortly after, so I was ok with how things worked out. :)

I'm not sweetheart :lol:

Ok :laugh:

To each their opinion. I don't know, I like all of them for different reasons

Of course I have my favs too but I think Madonna has yet to put up an uneventful sub-par live production

DWT was so avant-garde and her voice was amazing

RIT she wanted to recoup a bit of that playfulness that was deliberately missing from DWT because of the themes

CT well, just splendid and the perfect translation of an album which was simply PERFECT

S&S was her out-dancing her former 80s and early 90s Madonnas, very WTGesque in a way

MDNA was like a mix of part theatre, part great elaborate dancing but always immaculate visually/stylistically and always very coherent thematically, organic. Like everything she does

My fav RIT parts are opening, Weimar cabaret part (Deeper & Deeper is LIFE), Die Another Day and Lament are just wonderful. And the whole kilt part, ITG with the pipes intro, PDP and the finale as Isaac said is an epic reinvention for Holiday