Roger Waters Passes Madonna for Solo Boxscore Record with $459M

lasky

Rock legend Roger Waters sets the solo artist Boxscore record with totals submitted from the final leg of the Wall Live tour, which also place him at No. 1 on our weekly ranking of Hot Tours. With $81.3 million in ticket sales reported for the final leg through 26 European cities, which kicked off on July 18 in Arnhem, Netherlands and wrapped in Paris on Sept. 21, the three-year world tour totaled an impressive $459 million from 219 performances. The tour originally launched in September 2010 and played six legs in North and South America, Europe and Australia/New Zealand during a three-year span.

The $459 million gross surpasses the solo record of $407 million previously set by Madonna with her Sticky & Sweet tour in 2008-09 and grants Waters with the third highest-grossing tour of all time Only U2 and the Rolling Stones grossed more from a single tour. Sales from U2’s 360° tour totaled $736 million (2009-2011) and the Rolling Stones’ A Bigger Bang tour grossed $558 million from 2005-2007.

http://www.billboard.com/biz/articles/news/5748070/roger-waters-passes-madonna-for-solo-boxscore-record-with-459m-wall-live

Ugh i wanted her to keep the record for any solo artist!! But i guess that's what happen when some artist go on tour for 8551961949841 dates...

Honestly, I don't understand the animosity from some. Obviously, the guy is working his ass off on the same tour. Most artists get bored just within six months of their tour, (i.e.: Madonna) so I think it's quite the accomplishment for someone to continue to tour so long and rake in so much money, even if it is in three years time. There are entertainers who wished they earned that kinda money in five years time.

Guest HaveASit

Congratulations. Al least is someone coming from a magnificent band.

And about Cher, to break this record, she would need like 2 decades. So no.

3 years to do what she did in 12 months <snickers>.

Not even.....more like 7-8 months....lol

But congrats to Roger just the same. He's brilliant in his own right. He's worked his ass off for this!!

Honestly, I don't understand the animosity from some. Obviously, the guy is working his ass off on the same tour. Most artists get bored just within six months of their tour, (i.e.: Madonna) so I think it's quite the accomplishment for someone to continue to tour so long and rake in so much money, even if it is in three years time. There are entertainers who wished they earned that kinda money in five years time.

I see your point but people are going to use it against Madonna. For the medias and haters one less record = one more weapon against her. I can already see people saying how a "real artist" got a more successful tour than the "old talentless has been", i just HATE that. I really wanted her to keep that record...

I see your point but people are going to use it against Madonna. For the medias and haters one less record = one more weapon against her. I can already see people saying how a "real artist" got a more successful tour than the "old talentless has been", i just HATE that. I really wanted her to keep that record...

Who cares?

Madonna doesn't have time to tour the planet for 3 damn years.

Though she could probably easily break this record at some point if she wanted to and it sure as hell wont take her 3 years to do it.

If Madonna bothered to tour Australia and Asia she could have kept this record. Lazy bitch has been.

That sucks that you did not get the chance to experience it in person

tumblr_m6i555I3N31qi0ofuo1_500.gif

It was so epic. The time of my life. I died and went to heaven.

Like who? Only the rabid fans care. So yeah, I suspect someone from another fan base who is trying to discredit her, will "used it against Madonna", but in the grand scheme of things, no one will care. The fact is that she is a force to be reckon with regarding touring at this time.

Guest bluejean

Oh well. I heard from a friend the other day the REAL reason she didn't come was because it wasn't enough money. I suppose we knew that already but it's devastating to know it for a fact. It makes you wonder why she made that apology. Maybe cos she had a gym and a perfume to promote?

Anyway I WILL be going to the opening show of the next tour. No matter what. WIth zero knowledge of the setlist etc. My mind will be blown.

Love the epic ferocity that oozes from Madonna in that gif vs the gooberness that oozes in this one...

tumblr_m6kxc7HAvI1qdmb8eo1_500.gif

Oh well. I heard from a friend the other day the REAL reason she didn't come was because it wasn't enough money. I suppose we knew that already but it's devastating to know it for a fact. It makes you wonder why she made that apology. Maybe cos she had a gym and a perfume to promote?

Anyway I WILL be going to the opening show of the next tour. No matter what. WIth zero knowledge of the setlist etc. My mind will be blown.

What makes you think this bitch knows what she's talking about?

I don't believe that's entirely true. I think this is completely a Body of Evidence situation where Madonna is Rebecca Carlson and Australia is her bitch. She teases us because she knows we want her so badly. After the first 10 years of her career she decided to give us a treat for obeying her desires and it's fitting that it was the Erotica album/ Girlie Show that she toured here with. Afterwards she decided to heighten the stakes and doubles the waiting time to test our faithfulness. With each tour that passes, she whispers "Don't fear, I'm coming soon Australia." We continue to give her #1 albums and songs to please her. We need to earn our slice of Madonna as she enforces that we must justify her love.

The belief that she doesn't care for Australia is false, it's truly the opposite. She gives Europe and South America the impression that she loves them the most, but it's Australia that she dances with due to that deep passion and desire that we have. So don't fear Australia, she's coming soon.

Edited by VeronicaElectronica