What if I'm addicted was the LEAD single?

drunkbysix

Hmm I'm not sure it would have been a hit. It's one of the best songs on MDNA for sure but it wouldn't have worked for the Superbowl IMO.

In a parallel universe, the campaign would have been like this:

- Masterpiece gets released in fall 2011 to promote W.E

- Masterpiece receives a Golden Globe and Academy Award nomination (because in a parallel universe, it would have been placed as the first song of the end credits to make it eligible for the Oscars)

- Gang Bang gets released in January 2012 as the first official single off MDNA with a short movie directed by Tarantino

- Madonna performs 4-5 CLASSIC hits at the Superbowl (GMAYL never existed)

- Madonna performs a stripped down version of Love Spent at the Grammy Awards (the same performance she would later use for her legendary MDNA Tour)

- Love Spent gets released as the second official single off MDNA in late March 2012 (Madonna decided to release the album version and the acoustic version to radios at the same time)

- Beautiful Killer gets released as the third and last international single off MDNA in summer 2012. Huge hit!

That's it. No more singles. Turn Up The Radio, B-Day Song, GMAYL and Superstar never made the album. The only reductive song on the album would be Girl Gone Wild which would get a cult following at gay clubs all around the world.

:laugh: OK I should probably stop now. But sometimes it is so much fun to think what could have been...oh well..

oh, i use to think in those paralell universes too, hahahaha. I like yours a lot. But you know what? I always find that the real universe is much better. I mean, MDNA may have some flaws, but it would be so boring if Madonna did all the time the "right" things.

oh, i use to think in those paralell universes too, hahahaha. I like yours a lot. But you know what? I always find that the real universe is much better. I mean, MDNA may have some flaws, but it would be so boring if Madonna did all the time the "right" things.

tumblr_mdegn06Pwq1r7e9vpo4_250.gif

GMAYL was both lead single and a "Super Bowl souvenir." She had her reasons for putting out GMAYL -*cough, message to Stefani*- and it is what it is.

No matter what she pout out, nothing would have smashed like the old days, at least in the USA.

No matter what she pout out, nothing would have smashed like the old days, at least in the USA.

That is true I'm afraid. But I never care for her succes in USA charts, no offense. It's just that I think that bird has flown. But she is a global artist and she still has amazing success in most countries.

GMAYL was both lead single and a "Super Bowl souvenir." She had her reasons for putting out GMAYL -*cough, message to Stefani*- and it is what it is.

I think this is kinda what it boils down to. I'm afraid her #1 single days are over, regardless of what she releases. I love her and I want her to be endlessly successful, but realistically, radio won't play her and she's just not popular enough among the young folks (the ones who buy most of the music and have time to play Youtube videos on repeat all day) to generate an enormous #1 smash. I guess what we are debating now are varying degrees of mild success, which at the end of the day, don't really matter, as long as we still love her music.

BUT, if there's one thing she's proven time and time again, it's to never count her out, so I will fully admit that everything I just said could be a total crock and her biggest #1 hit may be yet to come! :tigger:

I think this is kinda what it boils down to. I'm afraid her #1 single days are over, regardless of what she releases. I love her and I want her to be endlessly successful, but realistically, radio won't play her and she's just not popular enough among the young folks (the ones who buy most of the music and have time to play Youtube videos on repeat all day) to generate an enormous #1 smash. I guess what we are debating now are varying degrees of mild success, which at the end of the day, don't really matter, as long as we still love her music.

BUT, if there's one thing she's proven time and time again, it's to never count her out, so I will fully admit that everything I just said could be a total crock and her biggest #1 hit may be yet to come! :tigger:

Totally agree. I've come to this realization for many years now. As much as I would love her to score more top tens or #1's, it's gonna be far more tougher for her as she grows older. I mean think about it? How many 55+ year olds have you seen do well on pop radio or top 40? Very few! She cannot compete with the youth dominated music scene. Nor do I think she cares to do so. Our society, unfortunately, seems to want to put age restrictions on music. This isn't anything new. It's been going on forever now. The arts tend to dismiss those who reach 40 or older, especially women. Madonna had her time on radio and the charts. It's gonna take some huge collaboration effort with something very mainstream and possibly with younger acts to get back on radio or score a #1 if even a top ten hit again. I can even see a possible "Cher-Believe" moment from Madonna in the future, where she releases a song at a perfect time where people are being nostalgic enough to enjoy another song from her. Other than that, she's graduated up to legend status with the likes of touring acts like The Rolling Stones and U2 and various other acts. The cool thing about Madonna is that she still is able to generate enough interest to pull in headlines which will always give her an edge on remaining semi-popular for years to come. As long as she keeps putting on spectacular shows as like her recent tours, people will pay to see her. Her side projects will always generate some buzz as well, eventhough they won't always be as successful as her music ventures.

Totally agree. I've come to this realization for many years now. As much as I would love her to score more top tens or #1's, it's gonna be far more tougher for her as she grows older. I mean think about it? How many 55+ year olds have you seen do well on pop radio or top 40? Very few! She cannot compete with the youth dominated music scene. Nor do I think she cares to do so. Our society, unfortunately, seems to want to put age restrictions on music. This isn't anything new. It's been going on forever now. The arts tend to dismiss those who reach 40 or older, especially women. Madonna had her time on radio and the charts. It's gonna take some huge collaboration effort with something very mainstream and possibly with younger acts to get back on radio or score a #1 if even a top ten hit again. I can even see a possible "Cher-Believe" moment from Madonna in the future, where she releases a song at a perfect time where people are being nostalgic enough to enjoy another song from her. Other than that, she's graduated up to legend status with the likes of touring acts like The Rolling Stones and U2 and various other acts. The cool thing about Madonna is that she still is able to generate enough interest to pull in headlines which will always give her an edge on remaining semi-popular for years to come. As long as she keeps putting on spectacular shows as like her recent tours, people will pay to see her. Her side projects will always generate some buzz as well, eventhough they won't always be as successful as her music ventures.

:thumbsup:

And the other great thing about her is that, though she may have peaked in terms of popularity, she is still releasing quality music. A lot of "aging" artists just can't recapture the glory of their early output. She can.

:thumbsup:

And the other great thing about her is that, though she may have peaked in terms of popularity, she is still releasing quality music. A lot of "aging" artists just can't recapture the glory of their early output. She can.

Exactly. In fact, some of the music on her MDNA could easily be huge hits if radio and the public got this silly notion out their head that 50 year olds can't make you get up off your feet or create a great mainstream song the public can enjoy. I think what's sad is that some "aging" artists tend to just go with the flow and accept that they can't produce music that fit the current times. They just assume they have to start singing more contemporary songs or standards. I see Madonna succeeding as Tina Turner has. Tina still produced quality music that was quite current at the time, and then went out on tour to make the real dough. I think Madonna will do this with far more with less breaks than Tina though. I can't see Madonna slowing down, even though, she deserves to.

I´m listening to MDNA a lot again, thanks to gaga´s applause, I don´t know, it has reminded me of madonna´s artistry, I don´t know why.It´s a shame what happened with this album: Masterpiece should have been released in november, that would have helped the film, madonna as a singer too...then GMAYL should have been released in the UK and in the US the week before the superbowl, not a few days before: it should have had at least an entire week of sales before the show.I donñt know, I think that could have helped.and then, a month or maybe a little bit more later, a proper lead single, with proper interviews...all of it.I´m addicted? yes, could have been a good choice, or gang bang, or the safest of all, Beautiful killer

I guess the film on one hand, and the tour on the other, made her rush everything

It would have definitely done better than Give Me All Your Luvin which is a dreadful song in every possible way.

01. I'm Addicted

02. Gang Bang (if only Tarantino didn't reject her offer for a video)

03. Girls Gone Wild

04. Masterpiece

It would have definitely done better than Give Me All Your Luvin which is a dreadful song in every possible way.

01. I'm Addicted

they could have used her tour performance, it was mindblowing, and with so many details that are very hard to see in just one concert...

01. I'm Addicted

03. Girls Gone Wild

04. Masterpiece

It's GIRL gone wild. Get out and don't let the door hit you on the ass.

I am at an utter loss what should have been the lead-off single. In the UK, I'm Addicted would NOT have got airplay on Radio 1, 2 or commercial stations.

GMAYL got minimal airplay on commercial stations. Then everyone practically ignored TUTR and GGW.

Love Spent I think was the best chance at success in the UK. Pop enough for commercial radio and Radio 2 to embrace it.

The only other choice would have been Masterpiece. And while it's a nice ballad, it aint no Crazy or You or Rain.

In the UK, I'm Addicted would NOT have got airplay on Radio 1, 2 or commercial stations.

Why? Its a very melodic, clever dance-pop melody with great lyrics. It doesnt look forced as GMAYL. I think it would ve done amazing, at least in EU. Then LS and she would ve been amazing.

I am at an utter loss what should have been the lead-off single. In the UK, I'm Addicted would NOT have got airplay on Radio 1, 2 or commercial stations.

GMAYL got minimal airplay on commercial stations. Then everyone practically ignored TUTR and GGW.

Love Spent I think was the best chance at success in the UK. Pop enough for commercial radio and Radio 2 to embrace it.

The only other choice would have been Masterpiece. And while it's a nice ballad, it aint no Crazy or You or Rain.

Why not Beautiful Killer? It makes me kind of sad that so many fans (and even Madonna herself) underestimate this track. It's clearly one of the top 3 catchiest and most 'classic M sounding' songs on the album. A shame that the put it on the bonus disc and didn't perform it on tour. Something I will never understand.

What if I'm addicted was the lead single?

MDNA would flop harder.

Hey, you never know! :lmao: nobody knows anyway.

Celebration was doing well in UK. I don't see any reasons why she couldn't release I'm Addicted as the first single. Too bad she decided to go all the way with Martin Solveig, less GGW. Oh well, past is past.

Zdar- at east she did perform BK in that one show.

On the whole, the MDNA project did not yield huge success in any country. GMAYL hit No. 1 in Canada, but it wasn't a monster success. in Europe, it performed underwhelmingly. I don't think any of the tracks would have hit hard. "Girl Gone Wild" was released digitally before the album was out, and look at how that fared.

Req and ZD, in the time between Celebrations

Release and MDNA, Radio One went for a younger audience therefore they were always going to ignore her.

Celebration was only a very small hit and got no airplay on R1 for weeks, in fact I think not til about a week before it charted.

As for BK, although a nice track, I don't think it had the balls or commercial appeal to be the lead single from A new campaign. But who knows? You might have been right.