MADONNA AT PARIS OLYMPIA: DIRECTORS CUT COMING SOON

zerbion

"Like a Virgin" in its MDNA Tour is a very slow waltz, which would have been totally unrecognizable if it hadn't been for the lyrics. And the performance makes M look very vulnerable. You could say it's the reverse of "Je t'aime... moi non plus".

Egads. That sounds terrible. "Je t'aime" was the perfect end. Desperate, infatuated, powerful, unhinged. I can only imagine doing something vulnerable would be anticlimactic to that set.

OK. I am now putting my "no more spoilers" hat back on and reserving judgment for the live show.

Wow! I really enjoyed that. Turn Up the Radio is nowhere near as bad as some have said and that speech is exactly as bad as everyone has said, and then some. I love you Madonna but no one wants to hear you preach like that. She also talks in this funny little Madonna accent when she is being egotistical and talking out her ass like this. Has anyone else ever noticed that??? You can tell she is loving the sound of her own voice here :)

My other thoughts... Vogue is fucking spectacular! The editing is amazing, so much so that you can forgive the exclusion of the first 'Strike a Pose'. The staging, sets and use of screens is really very classy and it's very well done. It's not my favourite Vogue, definately a hard act to follow after GS, ReInvention and Superbowl and its weird not seeing the action on the stage match the sound effects like the harpist during Superbowl who pops out behind her as she strums it for example, one of my favourite little moments from SB but atleast they kept it real and in sync at the end of the number where she twists the dancer's leg in time with the bells.

Candy Shop is out of this world and seeing it in this unique persepctive in such a small venue really brings out how Girlie Show it all is without it seeming like she is repeating herself. It's more of an update than a rehash and some moments are very Bye Bye Baby, makes you feel all nostalgic for the good old days. Her vocals however are terrible, this can't be denied. She sounds very thin, it's amazing the musical director aloud this to happen for this number. Why all the backing track and heavy use of backing vocalists on other tracks and then not this one??? In her defence it is clear to anyone that she is working extremely hard here and is obviously puffed still from the Vogue routine.

Beautiful Killer/Die Another Day is epic and now that I have seen it, it should really replace Revolver on the tour (just my opinion) and seeing as it's pretty much the same choreography, why the hell not? It would blow the roof off! The gun choro is tiresome and boring in the context of Reolver on the tour but paired with BK/DAD in this way it doesn't seem so obvious and silly. Really, really well done! The french song is amazing also, I don't know the name off by heart. I noticed that Kylie also used this song for her Money Can't Buy show in '03 and mashed it up with Breathe.

All in all and this is by no means a negative, this is the first time ive ever noticed her age. Maybe it's not so obvious in a stadium and with all the embellishments of a tour DVD but up close and personal it's obvious that she has aged and is doing her absolute best to put on a damn good show. I'm hoping next tour she slows things down a little, she really has nothing to prove to anyone anymore, perhaps she is just in constant competition with herself and has a very strong desire to be exceptional at what she does and hats off to her, she's amazing but she doesn't need to kill herself on stage anymore for us. We will still lover her.

Turn Up the Radio is nowhere near as bad as some have said and that speech is exactly as bad as everyone has said, and then some. I love you Madonna but no one wants to hear you preach like that.

Everyone? Sorry, but no. Don't generalise your feelings about it. YOU are the one who thinks it's bad okay.

I'm just watching it again. I really like this CANDY SHOP version. I'm not fond of the original, this version is far more better.

I could do without HUMAN NATURE though.

She also talks in this funny little Madonna accent when she is being egotistical and talking out her ass like this. Has anyone else ever noticed that???

I don't quite think she's talking out of her ass but I do notice that accent. I think it happens (more often) when she's speaking to a foreign crowd? All of the "Yes?" and "OK?" and more accent emphasis on some words. Almost like she's trying to make it easier for a non-English-speaking audience to understand or something?? Not sure that makes a lot of sense lol but just my take.

Everyone? Sorry, but no. Don't generalise your feelings about it. YOU are the one who thinks it's bad okay.

Might not be everyone but there has been a lot of comment on the terrible vocals on TUTR and the cringey speech both of which I agree on.

And the speech was awful and patronising at times. The accent thing I understand. I see a lot of people put of funny accents when talking to foreigners so they are clear but her accent seems all over the place now but that's part of an international lifestyle with multicultural friends.

Might not be everyone but there has been a lot of comment on the terrible vocals on TUTR and the cringey speech both of which I agree on.

And the speech was awful and patronising at times. The accent thing I understand. I see a lot of people put of funny accents when talking to foreigners so they are clear but her accent seems all over the place now but that's part of an international lifestyle with multicultural friends.

Her intensions are good and she sounds a lot more genuine than anyone in the business at this time. What these so called "other fans" (ie. cynics) think doesn't change anything. I'd rather look at things in a positive light and encourage a positive message she wants to give to her audience, rather than listen to the ongoing complaints or doubts of "knowitalls" who have nothing better to do than criticize everyone who try to make a positive change. plenty of stars "preach" about problems in the US on tour and only have the guts to speak out about it when they're not in the US. We don't see Madonna talking about the gun issue and controversy in France or Italy, instead I am certain that she'll address it when she's in the states, where it actually matters.

Excuse me for rather listening to a woman who has the balls to go in the specific country where the problem lies (France, marine le pen, Russia, gay rights and pussy riot) and who tries to make an effective change, rather than just provide lip service through a spokesperson from a penthouse in LA.

Her intensions are good and she sounds a lot more genuine than anyone in the business at this time. What these so called "other fans" (ie. cynics) think doesn't change anything. I'd rather look at things in a positive light and encourage a positive message she wants to give to her audience, rather than listen to the ongoing complaints or doubts of "knowitalls" who have nothing better to do than criticize everyone who try to make a positive change. plenty of stars "preach" about problems in the US on tour and only have the guts to speak out about it when they're not in the US. We don't see Madonna talking about the gun issue and controversy in France or Italy, instead I am certain that she'll address it when she's in the states, where it actually matters.

Excuse me for rather listening to a woman who has the balls to go in the specific country where the problem lies (France, marine le pen, Russia, gay rights and pussy riot) and who tries to make an effective change, rather than just provide lip service through a spokesperson from a penthouse in LA.

OMG Nikki i love you!!!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

spot on!

I don't think anyone disagrees with the sentiment but it's delivery was, at times, just bloated and bad. And just because some 'other fans' don't necessarily like something by Madonna doesn't make them cynics, they're just not lambs. Her speeches can be amazing such as talking about 'Justify My Love' on Nightline and the speech about Diana's death and personal responsibility but this was just getting into Bono territory.

Guest Owenkeats

Wow! I really enjoyed that. Turn Up the Radio is nowhere near as bad as some have said and that speech is exactly as bad as everyone has said, and then some. I love you Madonna but no one wants to hear you preach like that. She also talks in this funny little Madonna accent when she is being egotistical and talking out her ass like this. Has anyone else ever noticed that??? You can tell she is loving the sound of her own voice here :)

My other thoughts... Vogue is fucking spectacular! The editing is amazing, so much so that you can forgive the exclusion of the first 'Strike a Pose'. The staging, sets and use of screens is really very classy and it's very well done. It's not my favourite Vogue, definately a hard act to follow after GS, ReInvention and Superbowl and its weird not seeing the action on the stage match the sound effects like the harpist during Superbowl who pops out behind her as she strums it for example, one of my favourite little moments from SB but atleast they kept it real and in sync at the end of the number where she twists the dancer's leg in time with the bells.

Candy Shop is out of this world and seeing it in this unique persepctive in such a small venue really brings out how Girlie Show it all is without it seeming like she is repeating herself. It's more of an update than a rehash and some moments are very Bye Bye Baby, makes you feel all nostalgic for the good old days. Her vocals however are terrible, this can't be denied. She sounds very thin, it's amazing the musical director aloud this to happen for this number. Why all the backing track and heavy use of backing vocalists on other tracks and then not this one??? In her defence it is clear to anyone that she is working extremely hard here and is obviously puffed still from the Vogue routine.

Beautiful Killer/Die Another Day is epic and now that I have seen it, it should really replace Revolver on the tour (just my opinion) and seeing as it's pretty much the same choreography, why the hell not? It would blow the roof off! The gun choro is tiresome and boring in the context of Reolver on the tour but paired with BK/DAD in this way it doesn't seem so obvious and silly. Really, really well done! The french song is amazing also, I don't know the name off by heart. I noticed that Kylie also used this song for her Money Can't Buy show in '03 and mashed it up with Breathe.

All in all and this is by no means a negative, this is the first time ive ever noticed her age. Maybe it's not so obvious in a stadium and with all the embellishments of a tour DVD but up close and personal it's obvious that she has aged and is doing her absolute best to put on a damn good show. I'm hoping next tour she slows things down a little, she really has nothing to prove to anyone anymore, perhaps she is just in constant competition with herself and has a very strong desire to be exceptional at what she does and hats off to her, she's amazing but she doesn't need to kill herself on stage anymore for us. We will still lover her.

Hear Hear! Im in agreeance with everything...! Well said.

I don't think anyone disagrees with the sentiment but it's delivery was, at times, just bloated and bad. And just because some 'other fans' don't necessarily like something by Madonna doesn't make them cynics, they're just not lambs. Her speeches can be amazing such as talking about 'Justify My Love' on Nightline and the speech about Diana's death and personal responsibility but this was just getting into Bono territory.

LOL so anyone who loves her speech is a "lamb"? ;)

there are some errors (Napoleon must have raised some eyebrows) and its not the "perfect speech" but it doesnt have to be. I admire her guts and I see the passion shining right through her. Its not a typical "love yourself, don't treat others badly & everything will be alright" kind of cliché. (and funnily enough when other stars use that cliché they're always treated like some sort of brainy savior)

Yes its a bit preachy but it was an inspiring way of preaching. or at least it worked on me ;) You could see that she really meant what she said there.

I also like the speeches and applaud her for having the guts to say what needs to be said then and there, but on some occasions (i.e. Kiev/flag, parts of the Olympia speech) she appears misinformed or simply not well enough informed or makes sweeping generalisations etc which truly makes me cringe. But as I said, she has balls and passion - :clap: for that.

• 1 month later...

Finally got around to watching the Director's Cut, the DVD for this tour is going to be delightful. People will post in full for free online but I'm buying that DVD. Can't wait!