How I discovered Madonna

I'll never forget how I discovered the amazingness that is Madonna. It was 2006. I was kinda interested in this boy, William. We weren't an item yet but it was in the works. A friend of his had 2 extra tickets to the Confessions Tour and told him he could invite anyone he wanted. Naturally, he invited me! At the time, I really only knew Madonna for Hung Up. I'm sure I knew she sang Like a Virgin but I wouldn't have been able to sing it. So, I decided to check out some of her music. The first song I downloaded was the song that was on William's myspace page at the time, Sorry. The next night I listened to it while I was a bit stoned and became addicted! You know how it is... You discover this new song and you have to listen to it over and over and over and over again. That's how I was with Sorry for a long while.

Unfortunately, things didn't work out between us and I didn't get to see the Confessions Tour. However, I decided that since I liked Sorry so much I should check out the entire COADF album. I downloaded it and, low and behold, fell in love with it! After that I downloaded more and more until I eventually became, as my friends declare, obsessed! I don't care though, I love Madonna. I love her music, her status, her energy... Just everything.

What is your discovery-of-Madonna story?

I was 9 and my brother brought home the Music single he had been given by a mate. I listened to it and thought it was amazing. I then heard Don't Tell Me and I fell in love with that song too. I then brought the WIFLFAG single and enjoyed that. It wasn't until 2005 that i really got into her when I brought CADF and AL albums :wow: from there i was hooked. Oh and I don't care what any motherfucker says AMERICAN LIFE is amazing :bow:

my cousin used to play the Erotica and Bedtime Stories album on daly basis. In early 1998 i got obsessed with Rain and bought Ray of Light by mistake lol thinking that Rain was on that album, anyway ROL got me, it changed my life forever. Of course right after that i bought the right album with Rain (Something to Remember) lol and since then she became an obsession. i breathe Madonna :)

At age 11, I was having visual-orgasms during the "American Life" Era. :americanlife:

• The "Die Another Day" video left me speechless. And I Couldn't Get The Song Out of My Head!
    (Thanksgiving Day I went to see 007 Die Another Day just to hear her Bond Theme) :dramatic:
  • I thought "American Life" was such a powerful video. I Loved How Ball-sy it was. (:chuckle:-worthy, right?)
    At the time, I didn't know a white woman could be so damn cool, & so bad-ass!!!
  • And then... "Hollywood" came about & changed my life.
    She was so beautiful, so creative, so raunchy, and so flexible. I Was Becoming Obsessed With Her.
    I tried to emulated her dance moves. I even tried talking on the phone like her. :phoneslut:
  • And then, she showed me her sensitive side with "Love Profusion"
    I loved the simplicity of the video & the song. Cute, Fun, Sweet, & All that good shit. :horn:

I always admired her, but I didn't become an actual BIG FAN until 2002-2003.

I bought her Music album when I was 8 years old, I remember she was my first celebrity crush and I was annoyed that she was marrying Guy Ritchie. :lol: I didn't really become a big fan until 2008 so thank god she went on tour during Summer '09! :)

I bought her Music album when I was 8 years old, I remember she was my first celebrity crush and I was annoyed that she was marrying Guy Ritchie. :lol: I didn't really become a big fan until 2008 so thank god she went on tour during Summer '09! :)

:o Someone much younger than me (well not really :lol: ) and you like girls? :o

Guest edsalas

My earliest memory of her was when I was like 5 or 6 years old when MTV International existed and they were showing many Madonna videos at once like Borderline, Open Your Heart, Express Yourself, Like A Prayer, Vogue, from what I remember. I listened to Madonna but wasn't a fan. When I was in second grade my mom even bought me Erotica in cassette back in 1993. When I was in sixth grade for Christmas of that year (1997) my mom bought me The Immaculate Collection as I wanted a Madonna CD that had her big hits. But it wasn't till the year 2000 before Music was released that some energy got inside of me and got the urge of starting to collect Madonna CDs, became more familiar with her music and art and everything and that's how I became a fan of hers up to now. :) :)

This thread makes me feel old. I discovered her listening to Into The Groove in a tv program that was explaining who this Madonna was. I was 9 or 10 years old. When i got that tape and knew that those songs called Like a Virgin and Material Girl were hers too i was thrilled. My deepest love came with the album True Blue.

God, I first discovered Madonna during her "Like a Virgin" Top of the Pops' performance! First single of her's that I bought, though, was "Material Girl", and I got the album soon after that.

I didn't truly start to love her, though, until "Erotica" ... ironically, when the rest of the world was going off her!

I think I was 9. I remember taping "Holiday" off of the radio on my little boom box when it came on Casey's Top 40. I kept thinking "quit talking over the song, Casey Kasem!"

Naturally, my full-fledged worship didn't begin until Like A Prayer came out in 1989. After that, I was truly smitten.

Hard as it is to believe, I've been there since the beginning. I saw the video for Burning Up on The Tube back in 1983 and thought WOW. I then read an feature on her in The Face magazine and thought she had something. The first record I bought was the 12" for Holiday and then got the album in the spring of 1984 - the guy in the shop said that her next album would be produced by Sly 'N' Robbie and I told him it was being produced by Nile Rodgers. I was so looking forward to the Like A Virgin album, HMV put it on the racks on the Saturday before it's official release date on the Monday and I just happened to be in the store on that day so got it sooner than I expected. I actually found it disappointing in relation to her debut but in retropsect, I can see that Warners were going for commercial impact rather than the uber coolness of Madonna. So there you have it.

How depressing. You're all so young.

Mine is a three tiered discoverey. Live Aid at 9 that I watched at a friend's house ("who is she?"), then my brother's girlfriend gave me her True Blue cassette (I think she smelled the gay in me) and LAP cemented it and was the my first Madonna purchase (patchouli scented cassette, of course fag.gif).

How depressing. You're all so young.

I was thinking the same too...and I´´m not 35 yet!!

well, I discovered her in three different fases: the first one, summer of 1984, I was on holidays, and some girls from the neybourghood were playing a casette all the time! I remember that i loved the last song...the other were simply ok to me...but they were really enjoying her, and I remember one of them telling me that she was going to be really famous.

the second part was a year later, when LAV was out.I remember that I was looking for a prince´´s album but a friend of mine instead gave put madonna´´s album and I completely fell in love with her.That album had ITG, so I guess it was autumn of 1985.

But the year that I really became a madonna fan was 1989, with LAP...and here I am!

Madonna's name was always around when I grew up. She was a phenomenon to me, like Michael Jackson or God :lol: But although I knew she was super famous, I wasn't very familiar with her music. I remember Evita coming out when I was 9, but I was too busy obsessing over the Spice Girls and Leonardo DiCaprio to care.

When Music came out, I was in love. I was in the middle of my "little confused lesbian" phase and I really looked up to Madonna for how powerful and sexual she was.

I didn't even like the song that much, it was nothing special to me, but something - no everything - about her intrigued me. I started looking up information about her and my mom bought her first 3 albums for my birthday. From that day on I was obsessed. I went to school dressed like her and told everyone how amazing she was. None of the kids in my class agreed of course, they all loved Justin Timberlake and 50 Cent, but I knew I had the best idol in the world :)

Ahhhh, I love Madonna!

when i was 12, coadf was just released. tv keeps spamming coadf ads with hung up for months, so i started to like that song and eventually went on to discover her greatness. i still remember when i saw that ad, i thought she was only around 30 years old because i wasnt conscious of music for the previous 12 years.

first encounter with Madonna was in 1998.I was 11 years old. I watched the Frozen video and fell in love. all I remember from that period is the "Madonna now has dark hair.she thinks she's so cool. who the fuck does she think she is?" talk from my family. I didn't know the name of the song but the video and the humming stuck in my head ever since.

the second encounter happened in 2003. we moved to our new house and we had just bought a home theater system. my uncle wanted to test its capabilities so he brought... yes that's right bitches.. THE IMMACULATE COLLECTION DVD UGH!

first he played La Isla Bonita. it was love at first sight. I fell in love with the song , her voice , her face , her clothes , her hair. I fell in love with the video itself. that song was absolute PERFECTION.

then he played Like A Prayer. awesome song and I loved the religious imagery in it. the burning crosses scene was engraved in my brain forever. then came the Vogue VMA performance which was amazing and she looked hot as Marie Antoinette. it was so gay :lol:

but the song that really stuck with me then was La Isla. I downloaded the song and I played it TO DEATH until I got sick of it :lol: I also downloaded Vogue and Like a Prayer and Frozen after I finally learned its name. LIB and Frozen were the the songs I played the most.

in the same year I watched the Love Perfusion video and thought : wow , Madonna is SO over :rotfl:. it was the Britney craze then so maybe that made it seem that way.

and finally we come to our meeting of destiny. the encounter that changed my life forever : the Hung Up music video :bow:

at first I thought it was an old music video for one of her 80s songs because it had that retro sound and she looked really good in it :lol:. I was like OMG WHAT IS THIS SONG?!!! that is seriously one of the best things I've ever heard!! I would get so happy every time they show it on VH1. to watch her with that pink leotard and incredibly hot legs in the dancing studio and the Japanese restaurant and the walk in the street with the leather jacket and the jeans. I loved the retro look it had and I still think it's one of her great music videos.

then came Sorry and I was like OMG THIS IS EVEN BETTER!! Please don't say you're sorry. I've heard it all before. Please don't say forgive me I would repeat those lines all the time :dramatic: . I also love the video :sneaky:

after that came Get Together and Jump :inlove: I was thinking 'how can someone be still incredibly popular after all these years?'. I couldn't help to be wowed and amazed for this fact.

I even loved the cover. and I still think it has the best title of all her albums to date. I downloaded the album and it didn't disappoint. I love how it was so retro and futuristic disco and whatever. then I downloaded the Confessions tour and AFTER ALL THAT I was wowed YET AGAIN by this INCREDIBLE TOUR!!

after all that I realized it: I am madly in love with Madonna! :inlove::inlove::inlove:

so yes my Madonna story began with Confessions. I love that album and I love everything about it. the only thing that's frustrating is that I'm tired of the album because I played that shit to death and then I played it some more.

oh and I just want to clarify that even though I love Frozen , and even though I'm in that age group , I'm NOT a Ray of Lighter. never was :p I'm 80s Madonna all the way through and the only era that I consider to be on par with the 80s is , SHOCKER , Confessions era :lol::inlove:

:confessions:

Madonna's name was always around when I grew up. She was a phenomenon to me, like Michael Jackson or God :lol: But although I knew she was super famous, I wasn't very familiar with her music. I remember Evita coming out when I was 9, but I was too busy obsessing over the Spice Girls and Leonardo DiCaprio to care.

When Music came out, I was in love. I was in the middle of my "little confused lesbian" phase and I really looked up to Madonna for how powerful and sexual she was.

I didn't even like the song that much, it was nothing special to me, but something - no everything - about her intrigued me. I started looking up information about her and my mom bought her first 3 albums for my birthday. From that day on I was obsessed. I went to school dressed like her and told everyone how amazing she was. None of the kids in my class agreed of course, they all loved Justin Timberlake and 50 Cent, but I knew I had the best idol in the world :)

Ahhhh, I love Madonna!

OMG I love little confused lesbian phases! :fag:

IsaacHarris can u possibly b any cuter? :inlove:

I was 4-5 & mesmerized..some of my earliest childhood memories r Madonna related..She was just everywhere..My mum was a wannabe..

The german girl next door who had Bravo clippings of Madonna all over her room owned the LAV LP..We borrowed it 'till we had enough money 2 buy our own copy but featuring Into The Groove! :lmao: hey, 350 belgian francs was a lot of money in those days :lol: So my mum bought me the LP & whenever she would mop the floor she would put me on the couch with the headphones & play the LAV album & I'd b staring at the back cover..You c I din't wanna go out play with the other kids cuz my mama said I had my 'special' :chuckle: .

There was however a slight air of panic when my little brother, born in 1992, showed a comparable interest in the 'Spice Girls' during his early years :lol: ..

First Madonna's song that i heard was "La isla Bonita" when i was 4.

Then i didn't know ANYTHING about Madonna till "Music" and it was AMAZING!..

Im oficially a fan since Hard Candy. I downloaded all her discography and the videography too :)

And..

Like a Prayer: BEST POP SONG EVAHH!! :wow:

Guest dicktracy

Well, growing up in the 80's had me exposed to Madonna very early.

My uncle had a tape with Everybody, Holiday, Thriller and This Is The End (by New Edition) that he left at my home and I used to listen to it often. At that time I didn't know who Madonna was. The first time I remember seeing her was on tv on the news about her wearing crucifixes and the controversy but I didn't quite register it (I was about 8). I thought she looked like a hooker and that was intriguing.

Then I caught the second half of the Virgin Tour on tv and recorded Gambler and Over and Over (it was heavily edited with many songs cut out). By then I still had not seen any of her videos. She was still that hot girl that wore a lot of make up. I do remember hearing on the radio ITG, LAV, MG and DYU but I didn't know it was the same singer. Then one night I remember Papa Don't Preach being shown for the first time on tv (we had no MTV so it was the network debut). She suddenly was blond and had short hair; I couldn't make sense of it. That's when the name Madonna was suddenly everywhere.

True Blue was massive. I recall a friend of mine bringing her record to school once. PDP, OYH, TB and LIB were on the radio constanstly and yet I was not a fan. Then LAP came out. I missed most of the controversy about it. I just remember hearing the Shep Pettibone extended dance remix and thinking it was the best song ever. I really thought Madonna sang the parts that Nikki Harris sings near the end ("I'll take you there...yeah, yeah, yeah). It was the end of the 80's and I still had not purchased anything by Madonna but I remember spending a whole afternoon waiting for LAP to play on the radio so I could record it.

Then, at age 12, I finally got to watch another Madonna video and it was none other than Vogue. Wow, she was absolutely stunning. I was smitten. I spent another afternoon waiting to record it on the radio. I recorded the 12" Club Mix and it's still one of my favorites. I suddenly realized I was a fan and I bought a magazine of her hit songs with translated lyrics. Not too long after, it seemed, the Blond Ambition Tour was broadcast and I would watch my VHS recording of it once a day for the following six months. By then TIC came out and it was my first official Madonna purchase (double record vinyl) followed by You Can Dance, LAV and WTG (all vinyl). My first Madonna CD was the first album (purchased right after Erotica).

Finally, I watched Truth or Dare and she became an obsession. I really doubt that there was a more exciting time to have been a Madonna fan than 90-91. I'm glad I got to experience that.

Guest gloriesbarcelona

Since the beginning really. She's always been around for me. We used to like Holiday in the house and she became mega famous almost instantly. I think I really became addicted around the True Blue era then LAP Immaculate and Vogue sort of sealed me forever :lol: