Video Music Awards '09 - new thread

Apples388

www.rollingstone.com

Madonna Surprises VMAs With Michael Jackson Tribute

9/13/09, 9:02 pm EST

Photo: Polk/Getty

What was billed as a special tribute to Michael Jackson starring his sister, Janet, turned into an even more epic performance :thumbsup: : Madonna took the stage at tonight’s MTV Video Music Awards to honor an artist she called “one of the greats.”

In a long, heartfelt speech about her personal relationship to Jackson, Madonna recalled the moment she learned that he had died. “All I could think about in that moment was I had abandoned him. That we had abandoned him,” she said. “That we had let this magnificent creature who had once set the world on fire slip thorugh the cracks. Most of us had turned our backs on him. … There will never be anyone like him again. He was a king.”

“There’s a whole lot of crotch-grabbing and Moonwalking going on in my house,” she added, saying her two songs are huge MJ fans. “Long live the King!” (Read Madonna’s full speech here.)

Madonna has always been at home in the VMAs’ spotlight. She set the bar high at the show’s inaugural event in 1984, writhing around in a sexified wedding gown to “Like a Virgin” in a performance that had the crowd literally gasping in shock, her longtime publicist Liz Rosenberg recalled to Rolling Stone. “Madonna took it so much further than anyone knew she was capable of,” Rosenberg said. “Some people thought she was the greatest thing ever, and other people thought she was disgusting.”

Her second most-talked-about performance came in 2003, when she broke out “Virgin” once again with pop princesses Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera, famously kissing them both before Missy Elliott took the stage and joined the trio for “Hollywood.”

In 1998, she performed a “Shanti/Ray of Light” medley that featured a Lenny Kravitz guitar solo and won Video of the Year for the song’s clip (she took home six Moonmen that year, for “Ray of Light” and “Frozen”). Six years earlier, she opened the show with “Bye Bye Baby” and nabbed two trophies for “Rain.” In 1990, she did “Vogue” in full Marie Antoniette regalia (powered wig, giant fan, huge corsets) and in 1989 she did her share of crotch grabbing during “Express Yourself.” In 1987, the year she scored a win for “Papa Don’t Preach,” she performed “Causing a Commotion” live via satellite.

Madonna’s connection to Jackson runs deep. Both artists were quick to recognize the power of music videos and produced some of the most thought-provoking, tightly choreographed clips of all time. When Madonna performed at London’s O2 arena the week following Jackson’s death, one of her dancers dressed like the King of Pop and performed his signature dance moves to a medley of “Billie Jean” and “Wanna Be Startin’ Something.” “Let’s give it up to one of the greatest artists the world has ever known,” Madonna told the crowd. “Michael Jackson. Long Live the King!”

Newsday

Madonna, Janet Jackson pay tribute to King of Pop

September 13, 2009 By KEVIN AMORIM kevin.amorim@newsday.com

The MTV Video Music Awards kicked off last night on a poignant note for the late King of Pop.

Madonna opened the show with a speech about her friend Michael Jackson, telling of her almost lifelong relationship with him. It all began when they were kids, she said, and she looked up to the young child star. Then they both got to hang out in the early '90s, going out to dinner and watching movies at her place later.

"Yes, Michael Jackson was a human being, but yes, he was a king," she told the crowd at Radio City Music Hall, which included Joe and Jermaine Jackson. "Long live the king."

After Madonna's opening homage - "It was good to finally get to say my piece," she said later in the press room - the musical tribute started with MJ look-alikes recreating his moves from such memorable videos as "Bad," "Smooth Criminal" and "Thriller."

When "Scream," Jackson's duet with sister Janet, appeared on the jumbo screen behind the stage, she came out to dance as they both did in the original video. When the number was over, she looked up, and then bowed her head.

Host Russell Brand played nice, as well he should have, where Jackson was concerned. "Tonight is dedicated to the great Michael Jackson," the British comedian said. "Let's honor Michael tonight by loving one another in his memory."

- With Glenn Gamboa

Kanye was kicked out.

P!nk's tweet:

Beyonce is a classy lady.I feel for her, too.Its not her fault at all, and her and taylor did their thing. And douche bag got kicked out. HA

KANYE'S APOLOGY

I'M SOOOOO SORRY TO TAYLOR SWIFT AND HER FANS AND HER MOM. I SPOKE TO HER MOTHER RIGHT AFTER AND SHE SAID THE SAME THING MY MOTHER WOULD'VE SAID. SHE IS VERY TALENTED! I LIKE THE LYRICS ABOUT BEING A CHEERLEADER AND SHE'S IN THE BLEACHERS! ........................ I'M IN THE WRONG FOR GOING ON STAGE AND TAKING AWAY FROM HER MOMENT!................. BEYONCE'S VIDEO WAS THE BEST OF THIS DECADE!!!! I'M SORRY TO MY FANS IF I LET YOU GUYS DOWN!!!! I'M SORRY TO MY FRIENDS AT MTV. I WILL APOLOGIZE TO TAYLOR 2MRW. WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD!!!! EVERYBODY WANNA BOOOOO ME BUT I'M A FAN OF REAL POP CULTURE!!! NO DISRESPECT BUT WE WATCHIN' THE SHOW AT THE CRIB RIGHT NOW CAUSE ... WELL YOU KNOW!!!! I'M STILL HAPPY FOR TAYLOR!!!! BOOOYAAAWWWW!!!! YOU ARE VERY VERY TALENTED!!! I GAVE MY AWARDS TO OUTKAST WHEN THEY DESERVED IT OVER ME... THAT'S WHAT IT IS!!!!!!! I'M NOT CRAZY YALL, I'M JUST REAL. SORRY FOR THAT!!! I REALLY FEEL BAD FOR TAYLOR AND I'M SINCERELY SORRY!!! MUCH RESPECT!!!!!

Really good show!! but lets face madonna might never perform at the vmas again. shes above it really

yes i felt the same. it feels like she is the MOTHER of the VMAs, passed her time performing and now she is the hostess. she is really above it.

Guest Topaz Scorpio

I still wonder if it was all planned. Kanye steals the show and makes headlines. Beyonce comes out looking golden. Taylor gets sympathy. Everybody's a winner.

Taylor and Beyonce would not be part of some trash plan like that.

The ass sounds like he is making fun of her. That line about her lyrics sounds like a back handed sarcastic compliment.

I know! that's what I thought!!

Taylor and Beyonce would not be part of some trash plan like that.

It didn't look planned at all. You can tell by Taylor's face that she was genuinely shocked.

Watching the replay, should be studying.. :p

anyways, like everyone is saying, it was very entertaining. missed the Gaga and Beyonce performance tho...good or bad, i wanna see!

totally random but i think Green Day is awesome, I dont listen to their music, but they seem really cool and always grounded. good awards speech "play more music, all music" or something like that.

Oh and MADONNA, what a great tribute to MJ! and I rather enjoyed Janet's performance.